Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81704 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95829 Feb 6, 2014
@ Anne.....The Belle robbed channel 5's U.S. weather map the other night and loaded it onto my favorites column. After checking the temp's around the country, I've gotta ask: How did you like Chi-town's 1*? Not much, I'll bet. But that's not as bad as Montana's -13*. I think back of waiting out along side the highway for that ___ school bus with the wind biting my ears so bad they felt warm. I read that every other day they close the schools if it just frosts real bad. HA..!! They never closed schools in Illinois that I remember. Just put chains on the back tires.
right

Earlington, KY

#95830 Feb 6, 2014
birds, birds, and ice
Anne

Los Angeles, CA

#95832 Feb 6, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Anne.....The Belle robbed channel 5's U.S. weather map the other night and loaded it onto my favorites column. After checking the temp's around the country, I've gotta ask: How did you like Chi-town's 1*? Not much, I'll bet. But that's not as bad as Montana's -13*. I think back of waiting out along side the highway for that ___ school bus with the wind biting my ears so bad they felt warm. I read that every other day they close the schools if it just frosts real bad. HA..!! They never closed schools in Illinois that I remember. Just put chains on the back tires.
Chicago was COLD. Seat mate on the plane was from Quebec and when they left their house it was -20C . That's even colder lol
Anne

Los Angeles, CA

#95834 Feb 6, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
When we lived in Wyoming, schools allowed students to take off for fall hunting but put a notice in the paper that country parents should find a place in town for their students to stay during inclement weather as school wouldn't be cancelled.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95836 Feb 7, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Chicago was COLD. Seat mate on the plane was from Quebec and when they left their house it was -20C . That's even colder lol
Ohare can be bitter, but I once got stranded overnight in Minn.-St. Paul and that would have been even worse except the airlines paid for a nice hotel and a good meal. I have no desire to go to any place warm and then have to return..... If I went, I would just stay. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95837 Feb 7, 2014
I have an 80+ year old couple that have been without electric since Tuesday evening. Three of the local churches have set up warming centers, but so far they have refused my offer to go after them.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95838 Feb 7, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
I think back of waiting out along side the highway for that ___ school bus with the wind biting my ears so bad they felt warm. I read that every other day they close the schools if it just frosts real bad. HA..!! They never closed schools in Illinois that I remember. Just put chains on the back tires.
They never closed school here back in the day either and no one ever drove the children to school, nor did the school bus come down the road to the homestead. We had to walk out to the main highway and stand in the cold to wait for the bus. But that is where I gained an interest in the Civil War. The old maid (reminds me of Miss Emily and Miss Mamie Baldwin of the Walton's program) that lived out at the end of the road would let us come in to warm sometimes, and her father was an Aide to Robt. E. Lee and we missed the bus a few times listening to her stories about what a great man General Lee had been.(but we did not mind, but for some unknown reason our parents did ... LOL)
Anne

Los Angeles, CA

#95840 Feb 7, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>They never closed school here back in the day either and no one ever drove the children to school, nor did the school bus come down the road to the homestead. We had to walk out to the main highway and stand in the cold to wait for the bus. But that is where I gained an interest in the Civil War. The old maid (reminds me of Miss Emily and Miss Mamie Baldwin of the Walton's program) that lived out at the end of the road would let us come in to warm sometimes, and her father was an Aide to Robt. E. Lee and we missed the bus a few times listening to her stories about what a great man General Lee had been.(but we did not mind, but for some unknown reason our parents did ... LOL)
Those cold, cold days you speak of were just as educational as a full day of school! For sure, your love of history was born while waiting for that bus.
My long walk was about 1,200 feet and then I could wait in my grandparents warm/dry house. Sometimes grandpa would polish an apple so very shiny for me to take to the teacher! Years later Mom told me the real reason for those apples. Seems like I'd grown weary of school and the teachers apple was a ploy to get me headed to school with less fuss! Worked too!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95843 Feb 8, 2014
I need coffee bad. I read this thing at the top of Topix 3 times about a "hairy human" face and wondered why they are now trying to create a discussion on Harry Truman ?
Anne

Los Angeles, CA

#95844 Feb 8, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I need coffee bad. I read this thing at the top of Topix 3 times about a "hairy human" face and wondered why they are now trying to create a discussion on Harry Truman ?
You could be right about the Harry Truman subject but who knows why. On the other hand it may be a discussion about better halfs winter beard.
Btw. Have a wonderful day!
Anne

Los Angeles, CA

#95845 Feb 8, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I have an 80+ year old couple that have been without electric since Tuesday evening. Three of the local churches have set up warming centers, but so far they have refused my offer to go after them.
Hope their power is back on by now. Weather there is way to cold not to have heat.
what

Madisonville, KY

#95848 Feb 8, 2014
I am not a scanner or whatever. I was sincere about my questions regarding the frost booms. I have been reading this thread from day one. Earthquakes and other issues are the original foundation of beginning conversations here. Any thoughts or understanding of the boom sounds that preceded other major earthquakes in history?
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95849 Feb 8, 2014
what wrote:
I am not a scanner or whatever. I was sincere about my questions regarding the frost booms. I have been reading this thread from day one. Earthquakes and other issues are the original foundation of beginning conversations here. Any thoughts or understanding of the boom sounds that preceded other major earthquakes in history?
They are being heard regularly in the far western part of the state, new reports pretty regularly. There are all kinds of explanations for it but NONE fit. The latest thing is "frost quakes" but that is not what they are because the same thing is heard in the middle of summmer. Prior to the big 1811 & 1812 quakes that hit around the New Madrid epicenter loud "booms" were heard for a while. I heard one of the BIG "boom" a few weeks ago. They sound like a huge explosion. More were reported yesterday that rattled houses. One report said 5-6 booms were heard about 5 or so minutes apart. No doubt something is going on and nobody knows what.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95850 Feb 8, 2014
http://new-madrid.mo.us/index.aspx...

"Loud Thunder Sounds of distant thunder and loud explosions accompanied the earthquakes."
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95851 Feb 8, 2014
More on the booms heard prior to the 1811-1812 quakes...

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/01/...
what

Madisonville, KY

#95852 Feb 8, 2014
Thanks for posting this. I will read the links.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95854 Feb 8, 2014
what wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I will read the links.
You're welcome. Check out some of the TOPIX sites for the local towns in far Western KY and you will see people talking about hearing the "booms" lately. Some were heard yesterday. You are right, we all need to be as prepared as possible. That site above describes those earthquakes of 1811-1812 and what people had to do to survive, how wide spread the damage was, etc. Interesting and could be a little scary to think about being caught in the middle of it! I'm glad I know my Savior!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95855 Feb 8, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope their power is back on by now. Weather there is way to cold not to have heat.
They were without power from Tuesday evening until Friday afternoon and we went yesterday morning to the grocery to restock and they are as happy now as 2 kittens playing with a ball of yarn.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95856 Feb 8, 2014
boom wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome. Check out some of the TOPIX sites for the local towns in far Western KY and you will see people talking about hearing the "booms" lately. Some were heard yesterday. You are right, we all need to be as prepared as possible. That site above describes those earthquakes of 1811-1812 and what people had to do to survive, how wide spread the damage was, etc. Interesting and could be a little scary to think about being caught in the middle of it! I'm glad I know my Savior!
I am glad you know our Savior, but I have never heard any booms in my area so I suppose I am not that scared. I suppose I would be if it actually happened here. What concerns me more is the fast approaching tornado season such as the one that I survived on April 3, 1974 when about 50 houses and several people in my neighborhood did not.
Anne

Los Angeles, CA

#95857 Feb 8, 2014
Thank you for helping them. They are close to my parents age if my parents were still living and I would've certainly appreciated help for them under the same circumstances.
It's 8:30pm here (1:30am there) and I'm exhausted. Today I met a gentleman that was in the Navy and on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor that December 7.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 min Strel 160,793
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 3 hr y uuu 36,154
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 6 hr Deplorable 4,041
Ladies and booty call. 6 hr Call me Cole 1
Trump In Trouble 6 hr Moved West 4
Eric C Conn criminal case 7 hr Tick Tock 2
Ashley Brown's campaign lies 7 hr News Flash 7
Dr. Tamara Musgrave (Nov '09) Fri Pikeville Parent 69

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages