Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
79,721 - 79,740 of 81,588 Comments Last updated Wednesday
Anne

New Salisbury, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Lol.
wes

Irvine, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

this stuff creeps me out

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

This is one of the few threads that seems to survive and weather the troll storms. After nearly 80,000 posts,(with some deletions) the thread itself still remains strong. Truly amazing!

And I must say, reading the posts here is like a sheltered place in a storm. Due in large to AW, no doubt, who remains the constant in the equation. Thank you, Ancient Wolf.

I meet some nice people on other threads and the first thing you know some of the posts are deleted or the entire thread disappears! It makes it nearly impossible to maintain any sort of sensible communication.
It is nice to see one which appears to be impervious to the onslaught.
Anne

Henderson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Dual Reality wrote:
This is one of the few threads that seems to survive and weather the troll storms. After nearly 80,000 posts,(with some deletions) the thread itself still remains strong. Truly amazing!

And I must say, reading the posts here is like a sheltered place in a storm. Due in large to AW, no doubt, who remains the constant in the equation. Thank you, Ancient Wolf.

I meet some nice people on other threads and the first thing you know some of the posts are deleted or the entire thread disappears! It makes it nearly impossible to maintain any sort of sensible communication.
It is nice to see one which appears to be impervious to the onslaught.
I ventured onto this post a few months ago and have really enjoyed visiting with everyone. We're all very different and are from many walks of life. You are certainly right in that Ancient Wolf keeps us anchored and is always a great example in how to handle trolls. Right now there seems to be a troll posting under my topix name so if anything offensive is said , please don't think it's me. I may tease someone a little but I don't ever intend to offend . There is no way I could ever read all 80,000 posts, Wow!, so I have no idea as to how many posters have come and gone over the years.
Feel free to stop by and join in! Have a wonderful evening!!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

I agree! AW has always been the cornerstone. I miss my UNA; however, AW has always been there keeping a watchful eye out for us.
Anne

New Salisbury, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Miss E Font wrote:
I agree! AW has always been the cornerstone. I miss my UNA; however, AW has always been there keeping a watchful eye out for us.
UNA was before my time but I did read some of this thread back when he was posting. I've also seen where posters on other threads mention missing him also.:-(
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Judged:

Who was UNA,.......or....should I ask? But what happened ..........

@ Miss E......please don't forget to post every last little detail having to do with Mother - Vinegar and Cinnaman capsules. This is my second day on them and hoping for the best!

@ Wolf.........I absolutely admire your "schedule of life" as you posted a while back. If I was completely alone, that's pretty well how I'd do it, too,...not very far away from it now. Stir.....for tree practice, add another log on the fire, warm up the beans and ham, sit back down in front of the fire, then..........just .....whatever..........
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Judged:

I started out thinking Una was just another smart-alec troll only to learn that we shared more in common than we disagreed over. He certainly knew his Bible and was not a bit shy about sharing his thoughts. LOL He was one of those people that you have to take with a grain of salt, and pretty soon you come to enjoy the taste.. He challenged people to dig a little deeper and think. He certainly was not superficial.

@Anne.. about 1/2 of my hens are still laying eggs in spite of the cold and I dropped off several dozen this past Sunday to people that could use what I did not need. My light only kept about 1/2 of their water from freezing also, but it was the 1/2 furthest away from where they stood to drink so it was not totally frozen. I did fluff up the straw in their nests and got few eggs that day until they put their nests back like they were before old AW messed with it. I believe it was Voltaire that said "Let sleeping dogs lie" or as AW says but does not always follow his own advice "If it aint broken, don't fix it" LOL .
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Judged:

Mississippi Man wrote:
Who was UNA,.......or....should I ask? But what happened ..........
UNA's claim to fame was his ability to pass gas and his lack of shyness quite often antagonized people. He was the sort of fellow that could get on a crowded elevator and tell you to pull his finger. He had no use for religous "cults" or fakery and never missed an opportunity to speak out about it in a funny manner such as his "Save the Ho Foundation" LOL As best we can determine but are not completely positive, he had heart issues and most likely passed away some months ago while sitting at his computer. I may be wrong, but I have come to believe that he knew he was about to die and just did not care if he ruffled a few feathers, if it made folks re-evaluate their own situtations.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

I suppose Topix will delete one of the double posts. Sorry!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Judged:

I was thinking of UNA's "First Church of Discount Sin" with the $59.99 special. LOL He claimed that I had my quarter attached to a string with super glue so I could make it rattle in the offering plate and still retrieve it. Too funny. Plus, he said I should take Dog to Sunday School and let him eat the crayons. LOL
Lady

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

' it made folks re-evaluate their own situtations'- AW

In reference of Una, I wholeheartedly agree. A very intelligent man who could approach so many topics with intelligence, whit, and sarcasm. He never once complained or belly ached. It has helped me put my life into perspective. I tend not to grumble so much anymore and appreciate the goodness in life as well as the bad that could be worse. When our loved ones leave this realm, our lives change for the better or worse. It is the road that is chosen that makes life purposeful. Robert Frost, I believe, wrote poetry about the choices one makes.What great insight both you and Una have had!
This Is Fun

Vine Grove, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

?
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

When I first started visiting/vacationing down here I was in my very early twenties and ....vulnerable, shall we say? With the large family and friends that I'd met, we'd all sit around inside with (then) only kerosene lamps or outside around a fire and pretty soon the tales of the night would start. The older ones would tell stories of (haints) that rolled apples down the attic stairway at night, or of the ghost of the woman who was stabbed at the foot of the stairs and left a huge blood stain on the wooden floor (I saw a.......stain) or of the horrific ghostly white thing that jumped the wire fence as they were walking home late one night and then of a cow that they absolutely could not keep penned up in the lot at night when they found no way for it to be getting out! Well, I was younger then and I suppose they all noticed my yankee-kid, saucer-sized eyeballs and just kept on building up the tales. But how I did enjoy that simpler way of life and wish those folks were still here. At times,.........I "feel" they are!

My Happy Place

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I ventured onto this post a few months ago and have really enjoyed visiting with everyone. We're all very different and are from many walks of life. You are certainly right in that Ancient Wolf keeps us anchored and is always a great example in how to handle trolls. Right now there seems to be a troll posting under my topix name so if anything offensive is said , please don't think it's me. I may tease someone a little but I don't ever intend to offend . There is no way I could ever read all 80,000 posts, Wow!, so I have no idea as to how many posters have come and gone over the years.
Feel free to stop by and join in! Have a wonderful evening!!
Thank you, Anne, for your warm welcome. I think I will venture by on occasion if you all don't mind. This is by far the nicest thread on topix.
ihn

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Gin

My Happy Place

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Judged:

Mississippi Man wrote:
When I first started visiting/vacationing down here I was in my very early twenties and ....vulnerable, shall we say? With the large family and friends that I'd met, we'd all sit around inside with (then) only kerosene lamps or outside around a fire and pretty soon the tales of the night would start. The older ones would tell stories of (haints) that rolled apples down the attic stairway at night, or of the ghost of the woman who was stabbed at the foot of the stairs and left a huge blood stain on the wooden floor (I saw a.......stain) or of the horrific ghostly white thing that jumped the wire fence as they were walking home late one night and then of a cow that they absolutely could not keep penned up in the lot at night when they found no way for it to be getting out! Well, I was younger then and I suppose they all noticed my yankee-kid, saucer-sized eyeballs and just kept on building up the tales. But how I did enjoy that simpler way of life and wish those folks were still here. At times,.........I "feel" they are!
I enjoyed your post, MM. I grew up with similar stories to the ones you spoke of. The haint tales were as much a part of our lives as eating beans and cornbread. I once asked my mother why no one ever saw ghosts like they did in her day. She said,'Honey, it's because people got too mean." The thought of that has always made me laugh.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Dual Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoyed your post, MM. I grew up with similar stories to the ones you spoke of. The haint tales were as much a part of our lives as eating beans and cornbread. I once asked my mother why no one ever saw ghosts like they did in her day. She said,'Honey, it's because people got too mean." The thought of that has always made me laugh.
If you go to Savannah Georgia, many of the doors on houses are painted a light blue because it is thought that ghosts won't cross water and the ghosts think the door is a body of water. Savannah claims to be the most haunted city in the country and they even have lantern light walking tours at night to the areas supposedly occupied by the "haints" including the cemetary crypts where Sherman's troops supposedly threw out some of the decayed bodies so they could get in out of the cold. There is even one driving tour where you can ride around in about a 1960ish hearse. A most interesting city including where the Pirates traveling from Jamacia, stopped over at the seaport. The waterfront streets are made of cobblestones that were brought from England to be used as ballist aboard the empty sailing ships and then left and replaced with cotton going back. A good time to visit is over Saint Patrick's Day, it is a really big Irish town that throws one baudacious party that would almost compete with New Orleans "Mardi Gras" and who also claims to be the most haunted city..

Except as a child, I worry more about the living than about the dead. I do recall the wide-eyed campfire tale of "Who's Got My Big Toe"? LOL... I am on the first step, now the 2nd step, now I am at your door, now I am at your bed...NOW I GOTCHA.. he he he
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Before the proofreaders catch it, I know that Jamaica is not spelled Jamacia. LOL Some interesting reading regarding Pirates (Savannah brings that to mind) is about Bartholemew Roberts (better known as Black Bart) and Anne Bonny, one of the most famous women pirates.

My Happy Place

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
If you go to Savannah Georgia, many of the doors on houses are painted a light blue because it is thought that ghosts won't cross water and the ghosts think the door is a body of water. Savannah claims to be the most haunted city in the country and they even have lantern light walking tours at night to the areas supposedly occupied by the "haints" including the cemetary crypts where Sherman's troops supposedly threw out some of the decayed bodies so they could get in out of the cold. There is even one driving tour where you can ride around in about a 1960ish hearse. A most interesting city including where the Pirates traveling from Jamacia, stopped over at the seaport. The waterfront streets are made of cobblestones that were brought from England to be used as ballist aboard the empty sailing ships and then left and replaced with cotton going back. A good time to visit is over Saint Patrick's Day, it is a really big Irish town that throws one baudacious party that would almost compete with New Orleans "Mardi Gras" and who also claims to be the most haunted city..
Except as a child, I worry more about the living than about the dead. I do recall the wide-eyed campfire tale of "Who's Got My Big Toe"? LOL... I am on the first step, now the 2nd step, now I am at your door, now I am at your bed...NOW I GOTCHA.. he he he
Who knew ghosts could be so easily fooled?! LOL I have never been to Savannah, it sounds like a fascinating place. I don't seek out ghost tours as such, but I do enjoy visiting and reading about historical places. I also enjoy places with cobblestone streets. They are so beautiful and quaint.
An interesting thing about those ballasts. They have helped map out sea travel due to their unique designs and identifying markings. I learned that on either History or Discovery.

I did one of those online surveys to see where I would be most suited to live according to my personality type. I was surprised the results were Georgia. I may have to pay them a visit and find out for myself.:-)

I remember the Big Toe tale exactly as you described it. Isn't that funny? I would be afraid to let my feet dangle off the bed at night. LOL Those are some happy memories though. Growing up in a large family, there was always lots of pranks and teasing going on in between (or during) chores - just so long as we didn't take it too far or get caught at it. LOL With those good Scotch-Irish roots, we couldn't help but have fun! It was in us and had to come out - still does.:-)
Thanks for giving me a some good warm memories and laughter on this cold, winter day, AW. Stay warm and have a wonderful day!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mobile home courts in Pikeville / surrounding a... 4 min Ramseyville 5
Rhonda - Nail Salon 5 min Just Wondering 13
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Reality 150,034
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 min Curious 130,287
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 15 min Rusty Is A Dumba ss 701
Johns Creek becoming a high school? 29 min SMH 2
pikeville medical center affairs (Apr '13) 1 hr squall line 73
Blacks crying again 4 hr wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... 91
paris cowboy = music 5 hr MUSICK-NESS 187
Smelly vajajay 6 hr CMN 25

Search the Pikeville Forum:
•••
•••
Pikeville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••