Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81696 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95118 Dec 30, 2013
also Camp Wilcat was lead by Confederate General Felix Zollicoffer who moved westard to the Mill Springs area on the southern side of the Cumberland River and died at the oak "Zollie" tree that I had posted about earlier.

Union leader George Thomas had sent a troop from Camp Dick Robinson (near the Ky. River) to block the Confederates. Thomas (though a Virginian) remained loyal to the Union and went on serve at the battle of Mill Springs and against Braxton Bragg at Perryville (west of Danville), and was most famous for Chicamauga south of Chattanooga and joined Sherman on his march to Atlanta.

Camp Dick Robinson was the first Federal recruiting and training camp south of the Mason-Dixon and is primarily what propelled Ky. into the Civil War. Many "orphaned" East Tennesseans enlisted there after their own state seceded. Several died there due to an outbreak of measles.
Anne

United States

#95119 Dec 30, 2013
Colonel Harland Sanders was born a few miles from my family's home. According to local lore he, at one time, may have ran a bootleg operation. who knows. lol A couple years ago a tornado hit his hometown and cut quite a swathe through the area, hitting the school. By that August the school had been repaired and the kids were again in familiar surroundings. One highly visible scene from the tornado was a school bus that had been slammed into a local restaurant, creating a new "Bus Stop"
Anne

United States

#95120 Dec 30, 2013
Also Colonel Sanders nephew, Lee Cummings started his own friedchicken restaurant known as "Lee's Famous Recipe". BTW. The Colonels hometown doesn't even have a KFC.

I'm hungry. Haven't had breakfast and here it is almost lunch time! As soon as the doc appointment is over I'm outta here and looking for food. Perhaps KFC? Lol
qwerty

Luck, WI

#95121 Dec 30, 2013
If you're ever in shelbyville, check out Claudia Sanders dinner house.
A little bit of heritage there too.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95122 Dec 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
Also Colonel Sanders nephew, Lee Cummings started his own friedchicken restaurant known as "Lee's Famous Recipe". BTW. The Colonels hometown doesn't even have a KFC.
I'm hungry. Haven't had breakfast and here it is almost lunch time! As soon as the doc appointment is over I'm outta here and looking for food. Perhaps KFC? Lol
I agree, the Colonel's hometown does not have a KFC and the town has a fairly small population. He took a job running a service station in Corbin Kentucky on U.S. 25 and started selling chicken out the station which eventually became his restaurant. I prefer Lee's over KFC. I do not care for the extra crispy though, which seems to me to be dipped in corn flakes.
poor birds

Salyersville, KY

#95124 Dec 30, 2013
save birds
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95126 Dec 30, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Miss E........well, I swallowed two capsules of cinnamon and drank that Mother - Vinegar for two weeks........with no change in blood sugar count. Enough!........I guess.
http://healthandcare.in/control-diabetes-with...
An interesting article that might give you some more ways to improve your health. When I come across legitimate, health conscious sites I enjoy reading them. As always though confer with your Doc. first;)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95127 Dec 30, 2013
http://barleyworld.org/sites/default/files/wh...
Barley in soup is healthy and nutritious. It goes well with a wonderful loaf of barley bread. Happy New Year's Eve and a Blessed night to All...Happy, healthy new year !
Joe

Danville, KY

#95128 Dec 30, 2013
has anyone else hear a huge bomb like boom that shook your house earlier this morning at around 5 am?
It happened to me here in danville. I was going to sleep when the entire house shook and a loud boom that cause my headboard to hit the wall
Anne

Paris, TN

#95129 Dec 30, 2013
Has anyone been thinking of New Years Resolutions??
I've been considering taking a few spinning classes over the next 5-10 weeks. Gets me off the couch and a good start towards spring. Soo that's one good resolution for me.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95130 Dec 30, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
http://barleyworld.org/sites/d efault/files/what_barley_foods _can_do_you.pdf
Barley in soup is healthy and nutritious. It goes well with a wonderful loaf of barley bread. Happy New Year's Eve and a Blessed night to All...Happy, healthy new year !
Would the barley work in most soups ? I've never tried barley but if there are particular soups it would enhance I'd be willing to throw in a handful.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95131 Dec 30, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
http://barleyworld.org/sites/d efault/files/what_barley_foods _can_do_you.pdf
I have a favorite barley soup recipe I love. Big fan if barley

Location hidden

#95132 Dec 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
I've been considering taking a few spinning classes over the next 5-10 weeks. Gets me off the couch and a good start towards spring. Soo that's one good resolution for me.
I saw on TV they have spinning classes in the water. It's the bike submerged in the pool. I thought "interesting "
Years ago I became aggregated with my inability to keep resolutions . I developed a new strategy. I make a resolution each month instead of several on Jan 1. It has been very effective. This month I'm going to ---

Doing something for a month seems more doable I guess.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95133 Dec 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Would the barley work in most soups ? I've never tried barley but if there are particular soups it would enhance I'd be willing to throw in a handful.
Yes, it's extremely good in slow, crock pot lentils or beef stew and barley even veggie soup. Enjoy;) Great food for diabetics as far as research has discovered.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95134 Dec 30, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>Years ago I became aggregated with my inability to keep resolutions . I developed a new strategy. I make a resolution each month instead of several on Jan 1. It has been very effective. This month I'm going to ---
Doing something for a month seems more doable I guess.
Doing something for a month works better for me also. That's one reason why I can go to one particular class 5 to 10 times. Something like joining the Y sets me up for failure-- a whole year?! As far as spinning, wow!, most all the group is so much more into it than I am. Intense. My reasoning is its to get me off the couch at a time of year I'm a total couch potato. Then, for the most part, I'm the Goldie oldie of the group lol .
Really, if I make resolutions at all its more of a bucket list. You know, like a special trip. Getting up the rest of the curtains. Things like "shopping less"? Well, that's a baby steps type of resolution . Lol

Location hidden

#95135 Dec 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>Doing something for a month works better for me also. That's one reason why I can go to one particular class 5 to 10 times. Something like joining the Y sets me up for failure-- a whole year?! As far as spinning, wow!, most all the group is so much more into it than I am. Intense. My reasoning is its to get me off the couch at a time of year I'm a total couch potato. Then, for the most part, I'm the Goldie oldie of the group lol .
Really, if I make resolutions at all its more of a bucket list. You know, like a special trip. Getting up the rest of the curtains. Things like "shopping less"? Well, that's a baby steps type of resolution . Lol
Shopping less?
No sense talking that extreme nonsense.
LOL
I swim three times a week, I have to force myself to the gym in the cold weather. Ugh. Inertia
Anne

Versailles, IN

#95136 Dec 30, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it's extremely good in slow, crock pot lentils or beef stew and barley even veggie soup. Enjoy;) Great food for diabetics as far as research has discovered.
Okay, I can handle just pitching in some barley. That's an easy way to get a few more health benefits with next to no more effort.

Wondering how ole Helter Pete is coming along? Once he discovers hula girls he may never pass this way again. Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95138 Dec 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I wil ljust take up drinking more John Barley Corn LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95139 Dec 30, 2013
Birds... I had 1000s of them pecking around on the homestead lawn yesterday. In my numerous years, I have never seen anything like that. I have seen them fly over and alight in the trees around dusk, but these spent all day on the ground and if a few 100 had died it would not have even been a drop in the bucket. Strange indeed. and I had no John Barley Corn either. LOL
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95140 Dec 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
Hey Anne, I'm proud for you. Since you asked, I've had this (#*&!!) bike on the back deck for several years and still despise it,....ya peddle and peddle and go nowhere. But, it appears I'd better get over it and go back to using it. Also, I've heard of a group in Ripley, MS that get together and play dulcimers at the library that welcome new people. I messed with one once but don't own one but that could be cured! Still, that's about 55 miles from me ....just don't know. But for the new year, that's two things that sound invite'n!

And a Happy New Year's wish to everybody. I hope that life is fair to you for another year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you get smart dan 30 min Trucker 6
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 1 hr Gorsuch 5,894
Will the Jones Gang Be in the UMG Books 1 hr Go Ray Go 3
Keith Faces New Charges 1 hr Change Agent 10
Jeff Vanderbeck Billboard Salesman 1 hr Be Nice 3
Mcdonald's Cassidy BLVD (Aug '09) 1 hr Ronald 8
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Get Real 169,938
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 6 hr Abe 38,534
Ray Jones on WYMT Sat Ray and UMG 26

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages