Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81774 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Anne

United States

#94258 Nov 24, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I just have one of those clamp on pan bowl lights (securely tied in palce to keep the chickens from knocking it loose) with a 60 watt bulb suspended around 18 inches above their water. It is in a corner out of the wind and the waterer is the bottom 1/2 of a 5 gallon plastic drywall bucket surrounded by a 2 X 4 frame to keep the bucket in place.
I did it. Got the light and a red heat bulb. Ran that extension cord from the house to the shed. Clamped the light to a wall stud and also tied it to a hook. The pan is just a metal feed pan . Tonight's the trial night . Thanks for the input!!
Now bigger stuff. Better half is going to be Medicare age in about 7 months. What's the best supplemental insurance?
qwerty

Butler, KY

#94259 Nov 24, 2013
Imposter wrote:
I dont know where that rap came from myself. I was sitting in traffic in Lexington years ago, and this car pulled up behind my truck...and this big BOOM BOOM DE-BA-BOOM BOOM stuff just started up right loud like thunder, and old Imposter almost crapped his overalls. Man oh man, I though Judgment had overtook me right there on Man o War! Yuk that ain't no music.
Don't forget the old funky stuff though! If you dont like funk dont click it baby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jdiB3cISeBkXX
CLICK! TM-R (all rights reserved by wolfco international, inc,)
Give this a try... by the group Hayseed Dixie
http://youtu.be/NRng2sZCAEI
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94260 Nov 24, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I did it. Got the light and a red heat bulb. Ran that extension cord from the house to the shed. Clamped the light to a wall stud and also tied it to a hook. The pan is just a metal feed pan . Tonight's the trial night . Thanks for the input!!
Now bigger stuff. Better half is going to be Medicare age in about 7 months. What's the best supplemental insurance?
Sorry, but I can't answer your question on the best Medicare supplement insurance as far as a company except to say that I personally would stay away from the Network Plans. My pre-Medicare health coverage under my prior empployment was one of those Network plans and I had to take the wife 96 miles away for physical therapy when it was available right down the street.
lol

Louisville, KY

#94261 Nov 24, 2013
when will death for profit die?
Imposter

London, KY

#94262 Nov 24, 2013
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>
Give this a try... by the group Hayseed Dixie
http://youtu.be/NRng2sZCAEI
Ha! qwerty you kill me. LMAO yo shizzle!
Damn funny stuff man. You know that one about "your my angle" weren't so bad now that I think about it. Who was it that done that one? Snoopy puff shaggy doggy or something like that. It had a reggae part or two in it, I did kinda like it. Heck I'll dig it up, and dig on it some.
Imposter

London, KY

#94263 Nov 24, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I can't answer your question on the best Medicare supplement insurance as far as a company except to say that I personally would stay away from the Network Plans. My pre-Medicare health coverage under my prior empployment was one of those Network plans and I had to take the wife 96 miles away for physical therapy when it was available right down the street.
When I was one of the working poor I just kept a band-aid in my billfold. A lot of money could have been saved -not to mention (but I'm mentioning it anyway so why did I even bother with the not to mention part? If I was going to mention the VERY THING I said "not to mention for in the first dang place" immediately afterwards, but I digress)- a good deal of good health for me....lost my train of thought...OH yeah, I would have been better off and the ruling entity that is now our government would have saved money too, if I had- had just a little info on preventive measures for hypertension and early type 2, both sticking out like a sore thumb for decades....Oh well.
You win some you lose some I blew this post early on anyways....
Good night people.
Imposter

London, KY

#94264 Nov 24, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
The only rap song I know is Rappers Delight
"Hotel, Motel, Holiday Inn-- if your girl starts acting up, then you take her friend..."
I had to look that up. Sugar Hill Gang...good name. Not a bad beat too, is that rap? Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Here is the very first rap attempt to top the charts, I recon. I was just downing the style, now I'm sitting here listening to it!

Imposter

London, KY

#94265 Nov 24, 2013
BTW I'd drink her bath water.
qwerty

Butler, KY

#94266 Nov 24, 2013
Imposter wrote:
BTW I'd drink her bath water.
ROFL!!!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#94267 Nov 24, 2013
Farm Innovators 1-Quart Heated Bowl QT-1, Green, 25 Watts
@ Anne, this might be a safer alternative and cheaper than using a bulb. Farm Innovators offers different size heated bowls on Amazon's website. The cords are around 4 ft. long. With a power strip, several of these bowls could be used. Just thought I'd let you know of other alternatives beside bulbs;)
Happy Holidays to All!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94268 Nov 25, 2013
Being Joe Frugal, the National Average for running a 60 watt bulb is just under a penny per hour (higher watts and heat lamps are more expensive). Positioning of my light not only keeps the water from freezing, but the light also allows me to see up the hill periodically to investigate for varmits and maintains egg production.

So like that one motel, I leave the light on every night whether it is freezing temps or not and that costs about 12 cents or my quarter during a really cold 24 hour period. At $2 per dozen eggs, one egg will generally pay for the light.

Obviously, running a light for 4 or 5 laying hens is not as effective as for my flock of 20 layers.
KyBrownEyes

Tampa, FL

#94269 Nov 25, 2013
Yes, AW, I heard daddy singing "Preciuos Lord" many times.
I'm sorry for the loss of your wife. You going through the moments of her sickness during this time of year has screamed to me, "live. Be thankful for what the Lord has given me in my relationship with God, health, and family." Thank you for you giving me my "shake" to be in the present, quit dwelling on the past for it was and never to be again.

Good morning to all and I hope everyone stays warm as its chilly here on the hill this morning.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94270 Nov 25, 2013
I was playing the piano last night to relax before bed. While I usually play classical, I have been playing a lot of my old hymn favorites lately. I woke up with this one in my head:

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine.
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine.
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight

Angels, descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

I hope each of you have a blessed Monday-- oh, is that an oxymoron ?
Anne

United States

#94271 Nov 25, 2013
When the kids were living with me , just me, we all slept in the big bed ( they were 5 and 6 at that time) . Any way we slept crossways the bed, like crayons in a box, for more room. After the lights were out and we each had picked put our color ( we were crayons in a box, remember) I'd sing to them. And sing. And sing. I pulled every gospel song up from my past and sing all I remembered. Sometimes we'd sing a duet and sometimes we'd sing as a trio. One night while watching a KET music program in which I knew parts of most of the songs my grandson asked if I knew every song in the world. Lol. I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket and I know just bits and parts of songs :-(
Anne

United States

#94272 Nov 25, 2013
Welllll, These hens that reside on my hill, they are NOT a money making project. Sigh. Technically? Expensive pets. Cant even support themselves. Sigh.
But when kids come over the first thing my grandson does is say," come look at the chickens!" So there you are. He begged and begged for chickens so he could gather eggs like the Amish kids. And, hey, there's plenty land and I had a shed. However there's no eggs right now. Yesterday I heard him talking to the preacher about his chickens and the colored eggs they (sometimes) lay. I like them myself, so its all good.
KyBrownEyes

Tampa, FL

#94273 Nov 25, 2013
Ms. E AND ANNE, playing piano and singing...love this!
I play piano and mandolin. Been ptracticing Christmas songs. While my face be O Holy Night, my youngest always plead for What Child Is This....
the hubby and my other two babies have their picks as well. Piano hour never ends unless Amazing Grace has been played and sung in all her glory!
Blessed Assurance....a gracious tune....it always makes me remember having to sing and play this at a dear friends funeral. Was very hard. Made it through it with a few tears.
Love the crayons in a box ....very sweet!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94274 Nov 25, 2013
Anne wrote:
Welllll, These hens that reside on my hill, they are NOT a money making project. Sigh. Technically? Expensive pets. Cant even support themselves. Sigh.
But when kids come over the first thing my grandson does is say," come look at the chickens!" So there you are. He begged and begged for chickens so he could gather eggs like the Amish kids. And, hey, there's plenty land and I had a shed. However there's no eggs right now. Yesterday I heard him talking to the preacher about his chickens and the colored eggs they (sometimes) lay. I like them myself, so its all good.
Mine don't make money either, more of a break even for paying for the electric and the chicken feed. I only sell eggs to those people that can afford to pay and when I have enough money to buy more chicken feed, I give the excess to seniors or donate them to the Senior Citizen Center. What I receive from mine is the exercise in climbing the hill several times a day and to have something that I can consider myself as still being useful and productive.... and they are fun to watch.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94275 Nov 25, 2013
KyBrownEyes wrote:
Ms. E AND ANNE, playing piano and singing...love this!
I play piano and mandolin. Been ptracticing Christmas songs. While my face be O Holy Night, my youngest always plead for What Child Is This....
the hubby and my other two babies have their picks as well. Piano hour never ends unless Amazing Grace has been played and sung in all her glory!
Blessed Assurance....a gracious tune....it always makes me remember having to sing and play this at a dear friends funeral. Was very hard. Made it through it with a few tears.
Love the crayons in a box ....very sweet!
Dulcimer here too

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94276 Nov 25, 2013
Anne wrote:
Welllll, These hens that reside on my hill, they are NOT a money making project. Sigh. Technically? Expensive pets. Cant even support themselves. Sigh.
But when kids come over the first thing my grandson does is say," come look at the chickens!" So there you are. He begged and begged for chickens so he could gather eggs like the Amish kids. And, hey, there's plenty land and I had a shed. However there's no eggs right now. Yesterday I heard him talking to the preacher about his chickens and the colored eggs they (sometimes) lay. I like them myself, so its all good.
This is where you just make up the missing lines. My grown kids probably hear hymns and think. "That singer has the lyrics wrong!"
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#94278 Nov 25, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine don't make money either, more of a break even for paying for the electric and the chicken feed. I only sell eggs to those people that can afford to pay and when I have enough money to buy more chicken feed, I give the excess to seniors or donate them to the Senior Citizen Center. What I receive from mine is the exercise in climbing the hill several times a day and to have something that I can consider myself as still being useful and productive.... and they are fun to watch.
I pay around $4 a carton for Eggland's organic, free range, vegetable fed eggs. Sure, wish you lived closer. Does 2.50 a carton for brown eggs seem reasonable to you? I once worked with a Lady who sold eggs. Haven't heard from her in years. You are truly blessed AW: not only in wisdom, but with the inner resolve of accepting life and living it the best you can. No complaining and negative energy. You are a light in this world of darkness. I enjoy your posts. Yes, it is quite important to have that bulb for a bigger flock. My post earlier was for anybody having just a few. My Dad placed a bulb under his old, log cabin years ago to keep the pipes and lines from freezing. Very innovative men, the two of you think alike. I know, he was beekeeping at 14 years old. Young Folks, just don't have the creative energy and fortitude to live hard and make each day count. Not only do you get food and exercise from your chores and those chickens, it is a contented life, meaningful. Not one based on wealth that disappears like our health. Good day to you as always;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 10 min Cowboy 29,055
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 14 min ChromiuMan 143,140
Barry Chaney said 47 min Caw Paw 27
Best Toupee in Phelps?? 2 hr Joe Mounts 9
rent 2 hr pike 3
Metal roofing questions. 2 hr Raylin Sutter 3
Vote Ray Out 3 hr I Vote 219
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages