Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81697 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#92873 Sep 18, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Thans Misty for your opinion, I thought he looked a lot like Eastwood in "The Outlaw Josie Wales"... one of my favorites.
That's a good movie;) I like Pale Rider as well...Nothing like a good piece of hickory. Or something like that.
You and dog have a goodnight:) And hopefully the early morn won't be too chilly for you.
what now

United States

#92874 Sep 18, 2013
Thank you Ancient Wolf and all, for talking my ears off lol. I always feel better. Canning season just might be all done, maybe grapes, carrots still. Fryer chickens butchered. I think the hay is all done, that was not my category at all but to see to it mom's barn gets filled up. Still got trees to saw up. Can't seem to get away from the trees. Also, now where is that old rake?
I spread an old bedsheet and load it up, lots of loads, and instead of dumping the leaves out by the creek, I burn them because it smells so good and set and watch the fire.
I am trying to venture out and see other people these days too. I see people from way back and we get to talking and remember about all these other people to look up too, so hopefully, I get to look up cousins, and visit aunts and uncles.
Well, it's so late I am surely the only one around again, feels like an empty hall, so I will say 'goodnight all' and go on off to sleep too.
Tollesboro Guy

Lexington, KY

#92875 Sep 18, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Thans Misty for your opinion, I thought he looked a lot like Eastwood in "The Outlaw Josie Wales"... one of my favorites.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy!" :-)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92876 Sep 19, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> That's a good movie;) I like Pale Rider as well...Nothing like a good piece of hickory. Or something like that.
You and dog have a goodnight:) And hopefully the early morn won't be too chilly for you.
The only Musical movie I ever really liked was with him and Lee Marvin as "podners" in "Paint Your Wagons". It starts out with Eastwood's brother getting killed when a wagon runs off the side of a mountain and when they are digging his grave, they strike GOLD. They heave the body up in the air and off the side of the mountain and the movie just goes downhill from there. Lee Marvin was an old drunk and Eastwood was a farmer. Movie was quite silly in some parts.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92877 Sep 19, 2013
what now wrote:
Thank you Ancient Wolf and all, for talking my ears off lol. I always feel better. Canning season just might be all done, maybe grapes, carrots still. Fryer chickens butchered. I think the hay is all done, that was not my category at all but to see to it mom's barn gets filled up. Still got trees to saw up. Can't seem to get away from the trees. Also, now where is that old rake?
I spread an old bedsheet and load it up, lots of loads, and instead of dumping the leaves out by the creek, I burn them because it smells so good and set and watch the fire.
I am trying to venture out and see other people these days too. I see people from way back and we get to talking and remember about all these other people to look up too, so hopefully, I get to look up cousins, and visit aunts and uncles.
Well, it's so late I am surely the only one around again, feels like an empty hall, so I will say 'goodnight all' and go on off to sleep too.
Yep, soon be time to gather my walnuts and hickory nuts and spread them out to dry so this winter I can sit around my fire, read my books, crack nuts, pop some corn, bring in more firewood, carry out the ashes and Thank the GOOD LORD for each and every day that I can sit here thinking about all those people slipping and sliding trying to get somewhere to work for the man or those old ladies that see a cloud and think they better rush out to stock up on toilet paper. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92878 Sep 19, 2013
Submarine of the Civil War... I have often wondered how the first known submarine arrived at it's target since it had no steam power. I just now read that the Confederate CSS Hundley was towed to within about a mile of the target area and then "hand cranked" by the crew to turn the propeller shaft to finish the remaining distance.

Risky business since if they were successful in sinking an enemy ship, the spar pole that contained the explosive would be above them and might (and did) take them out as well, or the suction of the sinking enemy ship might drag them down also. And if neither of those things happened, then they had to get away with manual cranking from any other approaching enemy vessels since they only had the one explosive.

Fairly much a suicide mission.
Imposter

Brodhead, KY

#92879 Sep 19, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Submarine of the Civil War... I have often wondered how the first known submarine arrived at it's target since it had no steam power. I just now read that the Confederate CSS Hundley was towed to within about a mile of the target area and then "hand cranked" by the crew to turn the propeller shaft to finish the remaining distance.
Risky business since if they were successful in sinking an enemy ship, the spar pole that contained the explosive would be above them and might (and did) take them out as well, or the suction of the sinking enemy ship might drag them down also. And if neither of those things happened, then they had to get away with manual cranking from any other approaching enemy vessels since they only had the one explosive.
Fairly much a suicide mission.
Rebel Kamikazes? They must have been pretty brave and really believe in what they were fighting for. A watery death seems like a horrifying fate to me.
So you're saying that the explosive charge did kill the sub crew?
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#92880 Sep 19, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, soon be time to gather my walnuts and hickory nuts and spread them out to dry so this winter I can sit around my fire, read my books, crack nuts, pop some corn, bring in more firewood, carry out the ashes and Thank the GOOD LORD for each and every day that I can sit here thinking about all those people slipping and sliding trying to get somewhere to work for the man or those old ladies that see a cloud and think they better rush out to stock up on toilet paper. LOL
Perhaps have you a walnut cake on the side. Lol. Your place sure sounds like what home really means;) Blessings to you as always. Off to have another cup of joe. And listen to these birds tweeting. They sure are busy today singing in their choir. Have a nice one.
Imposter

Brodhead, KY

#92881 Sep 19, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a girlfriend like that, if it so much as clouded up she had to run to the store for milk, bread, toilet paper ect.

Do you think you would ever take one again Wolf, I mean as a live in or even marry one again? I doubt if I will, Don't get me wrong:
I love women but I doubt if one will ever do much more than pass through, maybe put a dent in a pillow here, every now and then.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#92882 Sep 19, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>I had a girlfriend like that, if it so much as clouded up she had to run to the store for milk, bread, toilet paper ect.

Do you think you would ever take one again Wolf, I mean as a live in or even marry one again? I doubt if I will, Don't get me wrong:
I love women but I doubt if one will ever do much more than pass through, maybe put a dent in a pillow here, every now and then.
Why Imposter-- with romantic silver tongued talk like that, I just fall more for you everyday.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92883 Sep 19, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>Rebel Kamikazes? They must have been pretty brave and really believe in what they were fighting for. A watery death seems like a horrifying fate to me.
So you're saying that the explosive charge did kill the sub crew?
Yes, Lt. Dixon and his 6 man crew.
Imposter

Brodhead, KY

#92884 Sep 19, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Why Imposter-- with romantic silver tongued talk like that, I just fall more for you everyday.
Doh!
:/
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92885 Sep 19, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>I had a girlfriend like that, if it so much as clouded up she had to run to the store for milk, bread, toilet paper ect.
Exactly. I doubt that many would even won't to join my backwoods lifestyle nor would I want to take on the responsibility of filling up my days with needing to go visit Aunt Lucy or Cousin Pete or all the other in-laws and out-laws. I don't need my bed warmed that much anyways, and I can cook and clean and do laundry with the best. LOL "Drop-ins" are welcome from time, if they make an appointment. hehehe
Imposter

Brodhead, KY

#92886 Sep 19, 2013
Hey I must be doing something right missE, they are easier to get than to get rid of!
OMG I'm digging the hole deeper and deeper Lol.

I dont care for the docile types, fiery red heads are aleays well worth the extra aggravation and occasional black eye....Know what I'm saying?
Hehehehe
Imposter

Brodhead, KY

#92887 Sep 19, 2013
My typing is coming back ttl, but slowly.
Imposter

Brodhead, KY

#92888 Sep 19, 2013
Gotta get back to the grind, covered up with webwork.
Always-

Gotta get it done. What a nice day out there too.

:(

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#92889 Sep 19, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Hey I must be doing something right missE, they are easier to get than to get rid of!
OMG I'm digging the hole deeper and deeper Lol.

I dont care for the docile types, fiery red heads are aleays well worth the extra aggravation and occasional black eye....Know what I'm saying?
Hehehehe
I understand -- you know what they say about you men---
"Men are like floor tiles, lay them right the first time, you can walk on them for a lifetime".
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92890 Sep 19, 2013
With the over-crowding in the Civil War POW camps, the concept of offering "paroles" to captive prisoners of both sides began. A "parole" was simply the laying down of the arms and agreeing to abandon the fight and go home. I am sure some did while others agreed only for the moment.
With shortages of food and medicines and the overcrowding, the Commandant of Andersonville Prison (Henry Wirz) was hanged for war crimes but some Historians claim U.S. Grant was as much responsible as Wirz.
Andersonville was just built to hold abut 10,000 Union captives temporarily until they could be exchanged for Confederates POWs. Grant refused to do any exchanges and the camp swelled to 26,000 permanent residents with little to no food.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92891 Sep 19, 2013
In Accounting terms, there is the "T" graph with the liabilities on one side and the assets on the other. From my perspective on women, the liabilities seem to over balance the scale while the assets mainly on the couch. LOL
Anne

United States

#92892 Sep 19, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand -- you know what they say about you men---
"Men are like floor tiles, lay them right the first time, you can walk on them for a lifetime".
Whoowee, woman! You are wise beyond your years!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 53 min usa 165,508
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 54 min Kyboy 5,241
This is for You !!! 1 hr Now or never 14
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 1 hr youraidiot 37,288
Golden Corral Owner ? 1 hr on the back street 57
kuri Gibson (Apr '13) 1 hr One Eye 9
need advice on evicting tentants (Aug '11) 2 hr Satisfied Customer 36

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages