Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81700 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Imposter

London, KY

#91809 Aug 13, 2013
That's not an image ruin'r. The most fun I ever had was with a tomboy girl. She could pee higher on the barn than I could. LOL
Anne

United States

#91810 Aug 13, 2013
For many years a trip to the county fair included a walk around the 4-H/FFA exhibits of soybeans, corn and that ole baccer. We even had a smsll tobacco base for several years. This year when I walked around a local county fair farm exhibits, it was all corn! Seemed so strange not to see tobacco! It just isn't raised in these here parts!
Many years ago my father in law was part of a group that traveled to Canada to teach them about raising tobacco. Canadian tobacco?
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#91811 Aug 14, 2013
@Anne....It's been awful humid here lately with just enough rain and sunshine to keep it that way with mid-90 degree temp. So for your trip I hope your A/C is in good order on your car. How far down are you go'n, deep in the delta or on to coon-arse (Cajun) country? Love that music but not Zydico!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#91812 Aug 14, 2013
Tobacco is still grown around here but just not as much as in prior times. In the flatter areas, I am seeing large acreage of corn nearly as far as one can see. The hill country (where small tobacco bases could be grown in the bottom land) has just returned to woods and forests or pasture land.

Many of the old tobacco barns are in bad shape and falling down and the lumber being reused such as I have done with my homestead addition interior walls. Some of that lumber is so old and seasoned that it cannot be nailed without pre-drilling.

Just last night on the way out to dinner with my friend, I saw several acres of what looked like Morning Glory blooms. I did not understand that unless it was some kind of winter cover crop or something for cattle feed.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#91814 Aug 14, 2013
Good Morning all! Isn't it a chilly one!
Anne

United States

#91815 Aug 14, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
@Anne....It's been awful humid here lately with just enough rain and sunshine to keep it that way with mid-90 degree temp. So for your trip I hope your A/C is in good order on your car. How far down are you go'n, deep in the delta or on to coon-arse (Cajun) country? Love that music but not Zydico!
Gulfport, five minutes from the beach. Oh the heat and humidity. A/C don't fail me now!
We once lived in Louisiana Cajun country. Very interesting language, culture, and music. Regional music, even zydico, I love in small doses.
Mississippi Man, hope you stay cool today!

Good Morning, bird threaders! It's chilly this am and the kids were wishing for jackets as they left for school!
Anne

United States

#91816 Aug 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Tobacco is still grown around here but just not as much as in prior times. In the flatter areas, I am seeing large acreage of corn nearly as far as one can see. The hill country (where small tobacco bases could be grown in the bottom land) has just returned to woods and forests or pasture land.
Many of the old tobacco barns are in bad shape and falling down and the lumber being reused such as I have done with my homestead addition interior walls. Some of that lumber is so old and seasoned that it cannot be nailed without pre-drilling.
Just last night on the way out to dinner with my friend, I saw several acres of what looked like Morning Glory blooms. I did not understand that unless it was some kind of winter cover crop or something for cattle feed.
It's not easy using old lumber. That pre-drilling gets old and there's always a possibility of hitting a hidden nail. In the end though it gives a person a real sense of accomplishment ( and a personal acquaintance with each and every nail)
. Morning glory fields? Would love to see them in full bloom! Hope you enjoyed your meal last night!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#91817 Aug 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>Gulfport, five minutes from the beach. Oh the heat and humidity. A/C don't fail me now!
We once lived in Louisiana Cajun country. Very interesting language, culture, and music. Regional music, even zydico, I love in small doses.

Good Morning, bird threaders! It's chilly this am and the kids were wishing for jackets as they left for school!
I lived in deep Cajun country too. I miss the culture and the people. The first day of cool fall weather is still gumbo day in my house!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#91818 Aug 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Gulfport, five minutes from the beach. Oh the heat and humidity. A/C don't fail me now!
I was in Gulfport right after Katrina, nothing left along the beach except debris including a McDonald's twisted golden arch but no McD's and no Big Macs.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#91819 Aug 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in deep Cajun country too. I miss the culture and the people. The first day of cool fall weather is still gumbo day in my house!
I would prefer to have some of Boudreau and Thibodeau's Boudin.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#91820 Aug 14, 2013
While traveling near Lake Charles, I heard on the radio that the PTA was hosting a possum dinner, all you could eat for $2. I thought it was a joke until I passed the school. I saved my $2. LOL
Imposter

London, KY

#91822 Aug 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
While traveling near Lake Charles, I heard on the radio that the PTA was hosting a possum dinner, all you could eat for $2. I thought it was a joke until I passed the school. I saved my $2. LOL
I have a friend from Thailand that makes jokes about baked possum and hillbillies every time I talk to him. I had him and his lovely south korean wife over for dinner one evening. My date had made them some fried rabbit from a few that I had been blessed to get the day before. They smacked their lips and devoured every bite of that rabbit. When he finnaly asked what it was I said...why that was baked possum Tao... You should have seen his face.
I shouldn't have fessed up that it was really rabbit, but I did.

Location hidden

#91823 Aug 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I would prefer to have some of Boudreau and Thibodeau's Boudin.
I have some in the freezer! When family comes I make them bring me An ice chest full of the goodies. If not I order from Cajun grocer and they deliver it on dry ice. I'll share

Location hidden

#91824 Aug 14, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>I have a friend from Thailand that makes jokes about baked possum and hillbillies every time I talk to him. I had him and his lovely south korean wife over for dinner one evening. My date had made them some fried rabbit from a few that I had been blessed to get the day before. They smacked their lips and devoured every bite of that rabbit. When he finnaly asked what it was I said...why that was baked possum Tao... You should have seen his face.
I shouldn't have fessed up that it was really rabbit, but I did.
I've never tried it but I hear Armadillo is tasty. Road kill cafe I guess
Anne

Newburgh, IN

#91825 Aug 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I would prefer to have some of Boudreau and Thibodeau's Boudin.
We lived in Thibodaux off of bayou lafourche for a couple years. A cousin still lives south of New Orleans. Boudin, jambalaya, crawfish ťtouffťe, jumbo shrimp, alligator tail... Real shame I'm allergic to shellfish..
Anne

Newburgh, IN

#91826 Aug 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never tried it but I hear Armadillo is tasty. Road kill cafe I guess
I bet its real tasty but I'm not tryin it! Lol

Location hidden

#91827 Aug 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>We lived in Thibodaux off of bayou lafourche for a couple years. A cousin still lives south of New Orleans. Boudin, jambalaya, crawfish étouffée, jumbo shrimp, alligator tail... Real shame I'm allergic to shellfish..
I've been through there when I lived there. Couple of bad speed traps---

Location hidden

#91828 Aug 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>We lived in Thibodaux off of bayou lafourche for a couple years. A cousin still lives south of New Orleans. Boudin, jambalaya, crawfish étouffée, jumbo shrimp, alligator tail... Real shame I'm allergic to shellfish..
But there are just as many yuck items there--- hog head cheese, tripe, stomach. When they say a Cajun eats everything but the oink -- they are not lying
Anne

United States

#91829 Aug 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
But there are just as many yuck items there--- hog head cheese, tripe, stomach. When they say a Cajun eats everything but the oink -- they are not lying
Lol ! You got that right!!
what now

United States

#91830 Aug 14, 2013
My goodness! You all have been places! Funny foods. All I know is farm foods, canning, and fast food. I did eat 1 tiny fish egg, and I've had escargo. I put the squid in a styrofoam cup to take to mom to try first. Lucky her, it never made it to her though, the ice melted and it started stinking, so I put it in the gas station trash barrell.
I'm just taking a break from work, work, work and putting my 2 cents in..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 54 min Abe 39,092
If you REALLY want to get mad over PROPERTY TAX... 5 hr For gods sake hel... 36
Word Association (Aug '11) 5 hr Visitor Bob 7,899
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 6 hr Visitor Bob 26,915
Dr. Bill Harris 6 hr MAN OF MAYHEM 5
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 hr Wisdom of God 170,607
Senator Jones Gets a Pass.............Again 9 hr No to Jones 11
TJ'S Testimony 11 hr Jerry B 99

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages