Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
72,001 - 72,020 of 81,570 Comments Last updated 39 min ago

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Popping in and out of this thread today. Unfortunately, household tasks frequently call my name. I do stay in tune to what folks are talking about, even if I cannot stay for any extended time.
Benny

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

country hick wrote:
more birds fell today
That's what I hear
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
My sewing kit is the biggest liar of all times. That silly thing says "Easy Threading".. No way. I am sewing up Dog's pillow to keep the stuffing from falling out.
But age, persistency, and deviousness always wins out over youth and vigor. LOL If you don't believe that, just go watch Big Chief Fat Feather.
The first and most important thing is to know the game. The second is to recognize that not everyone can be a star and each has it's function.

Just as you don't race a mule, you don't plow with a thoroughbred. LOL
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Hello, misty-eyed, hope you are having a good day! I don't have to go anywhere and that suits me fine. Was out long enough to feed the birds and the stray cat. I am staying in, reading, catching up on email etc..washing all the bedclothes etc. in between trying to do some useful things around the house like AW.
Just moved a bookcase and a wooden stand. I like to change things around a bit. I usually get around to the actually cleaning- wall scrubbing and elbow grease- in April. Usually around the first week of May I do planting in pots like nasturtiums and basil. Aphids and too much rain destroyed my lettuce last year. The idea of spring rejuvenates me. It's nice to hear that you're relaxing today. I agree with you about AW. He reminds me f an aged vino haha always getting finer.The greatest blessings come from simple things;)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Not me, LOL. I'm a bit of a renegade. Ancient Wolf caught me on one of the Rand Paul sites. Hehe. I can talk politics and religion and still be very civil. Yes, and I do love animal stories, Prepper suggestions, some conspiracy theories, and discussion about HAARP, the Louisiana sinkhole, the New Madrid fault, chem spraying, etc., etc., etc. LOL, I guess I have an opinion about everything. I just like to talk LOL. BUT... A self-imposed rule that I try to follow is: always be respectful about others' opinions, and be kind and thoughtful during every opportunity.
Shame, shame. Hehe. I mostly meant on this forum. I'm a pretty low key person. I have to abstain from going onto those sight...Hehe the Ol Scotch Irish temper just gets the best of me. I try to avoid the sites because honestly they bring the wildcat out in me. Hehe.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

well I am done except Arthur wants me to wait awhile to mop. He is not happy with me doing the bending over chores and says they don't make vacumn cleaners for tall guys. I must agree with him and have been thinking of ways to lengthen the handle for him and to put some stilts on the bed. I guess I won't go shopping for any sleepwalkers like Lala. LOL I don't have to worry about her breaking my dishwasher either and that is another thing Arthur would like is for the kitchen sink to be raised about 8 inches. Arthur sure is a picky room mate. A real pain in the...........
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@AB.. The wood stove is not the only heat here in the old Homestead. It just allows me to minimize the rest and even the cooler days like today are not that bad. The cleaning sure makes my trinkets and such look better. Just a small break before getting back to it. Also doing laundry and even moving a few pieces of furniture during the processes. This old man is not helpless. LOL
A wood stove is an important piece. Your bum won't freeze during a power outage. You can always heat your food and coffee water and yep wash the essentials of course if need be. LOL. Sure miss the old days. My grandparents and great grandmother always used a wood stove. Tending chickens and cutting wood probably keep you in better shape than most folks I know even myself. LOL.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
well I am done except Arthur wants me to wait awhile to mop. He is not happy with me doing the bending over chores and says they don't make vacumn cleaners for tall guys. I must agree with him and have been thinking of ways to lengthen the handle for him and to put some stilts on the bed. I guess I won't go shopping for any sleepwalkers like Lala. LOL I don't have to worry about her breaking my dishwasher either and that is another thing Arthur would like is for the kitchen sink to be raised about 8 inches. Arthur sure is a picky room mate. A real pain in the..........
Newer vacuums are made with telescoping wands. These help taller women ad gentlemen like yourself. My Bissell has five height adjustments and the wand that extends about three feet.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

If you have a tall stand, find two basins and boom there you go. Granny once had a big dish pan made from aluminum. So,this might help decrease the pain from Ol Arthur if you can find one. Good day kind Folks I have a lot to do.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Hmmm. Where is everybody this evening. I just got the computer away from hubby, who was watching the great snowstorm up north on Webcam. Can you believe that!!! I do not miss any of that white stuff; I lived in all my life except for the past 15 years, when I came here to live. A good old fashioned New England nor'easter is a beautiful sight to behold, until you have to clean up after it or go drive in it. I lost my car for about a week during the blizzard of '78. We found it by poking a broom handle in the drifted snow until we finally came upon it. If we had something like that in KY, I think the state would have to close down for a month. School here gets cancelled for an inch of snow.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Doggone it, Now that Hubby has been chased from the computer, our little guy is in here to chase me off. I guess Hubby has taken possession of the t.v. Well, I guess I'll catch up on my reading. The household chores got half-done today. The bed called to me so invitingly, I could not resist a dream or two. I'll check in later unless I start watching the inside of my eyelids. I have too much time on my hands these days. I'll get busier in the spring when I can go outdoors and mess around with my horse and the little guy's pony. That's all I have left of my equine stable. Hubby has been good about taking care of them for me until I'm back to my old self again.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Hello lala, I agree, hours and hours between posts just don't seem right. Of course we have ALOT of missing posters. Wonder how many he actually had on here since April. Oh well. I got caught up in cleaning and cooking dinner/supper, dishes, ran to pick my niece up at work and thought I would relax and do nothing now but wait for my favorite show BlueBloods to come on, surf the net for news, topix update, email, facebook etc.

I was checking out the storm cam myself and the storm of '78.

Snow dump in East will have hard time matching the big daddy of '78

The blizzard known as "Nemo" is beginning to bury the Northeast, so you know what that means: It's time for old-timers to reminisce about the worst storms they've been through. Comparisons are already being made to the massive snow that hit New England 35 years ago (almost to the day) and left major cities in the region under more than 2 feet of white (see the gallery above for stunning pics). Coupled with 70 mph wind gusts, the 1978 blizzard was a deadly force, with 99 storm-related deaths reported. At least one forecaster doesn't expect this year's storm to be as damaging, if only because an unbelieving public back then failed to heed warnings, leading to more being stranded on highways and in inaccessible areas.[Source]
http://now.msn.com/east-coast-blizzard-could-...

Top Ten Winter Weather Events in Southern Indiana and Central Kentucky
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lmk/...

Easter freeze 2007 Derby Run picture is one I forgot. Check out the slide shows for both articles. I am so glad we aren't in it's path.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

For all the Kentucky fishermen/women:

Trout being added to many Kentucky lakes
Published: February 8, 2013

FRANKFORT, Ky.— Kentucky fish and wildlife officials are adding to the trout population of lakes around the state.

The plan is to stock more than 31,000 rainbow trout measuring at least 9 inches long in 26 lakes this week.

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources said the largest stocking will be at Cedar Creek Lake in Lincoln County. Workers will divide 9,000 trout among locations at each of the lake's three ramps.

Jacobson Park Lake in Fayette County is receiving 4,000 trout. That lake recently joined Kentucky Fish and Wildlife's Fishing in Neighborhoods program aimed at providing better fishing opportunities in population centers in the state.
Other areas receiving trout include lakes in Jefferson, Boyle, Franklin, Henderson, Hopkins, Jessamine, Knox, Marion, Meade, Madison, Montgomery, Nelson, Scott and Union counties.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/02/08/2507962/tr...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

BIRD story. Sad one but amazing how he saved the kid.

Parrot bravely saves owner from raging house fire, dies a hero

A pet parrot named Cookie saved his owner from a deadly fire, but alas, the bird himself did not survive. Now he's being remembered as a hero. Home alone, 17-year-old Ben Rees lit an incense stick and took a shower. The stick threw a spark, and flames engulfed Rees' bedroom, rousting Cookie from his perch. The quick-thinking cockatiel dashed into the bathroom, squawking and flapping, and dive-bombed Rees until he got the message and got out of there. Rees credits Cookie with his survival, but he was unable to save his feathered friend. "It is so sad that he didn't make it out alive," Rees' mother said. "We will never forget what he did." [Source]

http://now.msn.com/cookie-the-cockatiel-saves...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Funny story for dog lovers:

Persistent dog works hard to bury bone in kitchen floor

This goofy dog is proof that old habits die hard. Watch Canaan hard at work burying his bone in the kitchen floor and try not to laugh. That's right, Canaan: Dig that hole, drop in the bone and cover it up with dirt. Never mind that you're scratching up slippery, hard linoleum, not soft, brown earth. We were going to redecorate anyway. Good boy! You got the job done! Yeah, we're pretty sure that no one will find it.

http://now.msn.com/canaan-the-dog-buries-bone...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php ...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> Just moved a bookcase and a wooden stand. I like to change things around a bit. I usually get around to the actually cleaning- wall scrubbing and elbow grease- in April. Usually around the first week of May I do planting in pots like nasturtiums and basil. Aphids and too much rain destroyed my lettuce last year. The idea of spring rejuvenates me. It's nice to hear that you're relaxing today. I agree with you about AW. He reminds me f an aged vino haha always getting finer.The greatest blessings come from simple things;)
haha, you sound like me. I will get some of it done now, drawers, cabinets, and closets scaled down and organized and get to the scrubbing next month or April. I am with you, the idea and tease of Spring has rejuvenated me too. I just thought I would relax today. Ancient Wolf is a rare breed. World could use so many more like him. He has been an inspiration to us all for over two years.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Where's Nope? No posts today. Hope you are feeling okay.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

New proof that asteroid impact dealt the dinosaurs a quick death blow
Dinosaurs doom came quicker after asteroid than previously thought

Reuters | 08 February, 2013 09:55
The eyes of a Tyrannosaurus Rex replica. File picture.

Dinosaurs died off about 33 000 years after an asteroid hit the Earth, much sooner than scientists had believed, and the asteroid may not have been the sole cause of extinction, according to a study.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/scitech/2013/02/08...

Where's Belie/Sybil too? Where did everyone go?
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

A happy dog story:

Move over, Lassie: Real-life dog to the rescue for homeless man

Forget Lassie.

A homeless man outside Olympia, Wash., is thanking his dog, Buddy, for heroics that may well have saved his life.

On Wednesday afternoon, the man – whose identity is not being released by police – tucked a note into his dog’s harness with a hastily written plea for help. Since early that morning he had been unable to move, lying on the floor of the makeshift home he had constructed in the woods near Tumwater.

“This was his last-ditch effort. He thought he was going to die,” said Detective Jen Kolb of the Tumwater Police Department.

Luckily, a woman who frequently walked her dog through the woods recognized Buddy and noticed the note. The word “HELP” was scribbled in large font, with the plea:“Send help. No joke. Cannot walk.”
The woman quickly dialed 911, but what was missing from the SOS was the man’s name or any indication of where he was. But on the other side of the scrap paper were directions to the Washington state Department of Social and Health Services, which frequently works with the area’s homeless.

Police scoured the woods, known to have a large homeless population, looking for make-shift shelters where the injured man may have been. After a short search, the man was found and transported to a hospital in Olympia where he was treated and released.

“This was his best friend, and the one he relied on when he needed someone the most,” said Kolb.“It’s one of those heartwarming stories that kind of remind you of Lassie."

The man is recovering with friends, while Buddy has been taken in by animal services.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/08/16...
Waiyusotan

Olive Hill, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Teacher: Glenn spell crocdile? Glenn: KROKODIAL Teacher: No,that's wrong. Glenn: maybe it is wrong, but you asked me how I spell it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

112 Users are viewing the Pikeville Forum right now

Search the Pikeville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min ChromiuMan 128,599
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 24 min Theo 21,119
Why do we Trade with Communist China (Aug '11) 33 min Corporate America 26
Word Association (Aug '11) 37 min Jennifer Renee 4,818
Landmark 38 min jonjon 9
roasted coffee cafe place 39 min Highway_Woman 1
alltech 43 min Highway_Woman 12
paris cowboy = music 2 hr MUSICK-NESS 73
Dr Thad Manning (Feb '12) 6 hr Jack 40
•••
•••
•••
•••