Pike on 60 minutes tonight
hey

Georgetown, KY

#23 Oct 7, 2013
hey brandt why did you get mixed up with eric c? your medical license is in danger now

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#25 Oct 7, 2013
What about wrote:
Corporate welfare, not just the 800,000 billion the tax payers were forced to give Wall Street banks but the 3.2 trillion dollar Federal reserve loan at .0003%! In other words free money, does anyone realize that that is 100 times or more the amount that has been spent on disability since 1950!
If they toss half the people off disability on top of the mines closing down this place will be more impoverished than Somalia! You can watch half your business or more fail here also. If you think this is funny just hang around, lets watch this place become a ghost town. No I do not draw any kind of disability, regular state retirement plus some investments. I still hate to see half the county's income dry up over the next 6 months.
The segment about the SSID is not just corrupt in Eastern Kentucky. Granted Eric C. Conn is the third largest Crook in the Country. What you fail to see is how these bottom feeders are actually hurting those that have worked and paid into that program all their lives and when it's time for them to draw.....none will be there for them! I'm not sure about the other parts of the country that have these abusers, but in Eastern Kentucky, I find the people drawing this SSI have never worked or drawn any unemployment benefits and then turned to SSI for income, they simply followed their parent's lead and was "born" into the "free money train" and signed up on the "draw"
righy

Thelma, KY

#26 Oct 7, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
The segment about the SSID is not just corrupt in Eastern Kentucky. Granted Eric C. Conn is the third largest Crook in the Country. What you fail to see is how these bottom feeders are actually hurting those that have worked and paid into that program all their lives and when it's time for them to draw.....none will be there for them! I'm not sure about the other parts of the country that have these abusers, but in Eastern Kentucky, I find the people drawing this SSI have never worked or drawn any unemployment benefits and then turned to SSI for income, they simply followed their parent's lead and was "born" into the "free money train" and signed up on the "draw"
Most people grow up and get into the workforce or go to college and then start working. Sad that some grow up and just look forward to getting a check.
Hey Buddy

Georgetown, KY

#27 Oct 7, 2013
righy wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people grow up and get into the workforce or go to college and then start working. Sad that some grow up and just look forward to getting a check.
9 out of 10 you give a choice,$1000 a month disability or a living wage job with good benefits, will take the job. The problem being that there are no living wage jobs in this area.$1000 a month,$12,000 a year, half of what poverty level is at $24,000 a year and most will have a wife and kids.

Given the choice between a real job you can support a family on and disability "if they are able" who would choose abject poverty over a better standard of living. The education system here in Pike County leaves a lot to be desired in producing people able to function in the workforce. Coal Severance was wasted for over 30 years and at a time such as we are in now would have made a big difference in people's lives.

It is never as black & white as you people try to make it, it was for the last few years part of Obama's plan to distribute the wealth and everybody looked the other way. Just as the last administration and this one gave Wall Street Banks 100 times more money than the total disability system has passed out since the 1950's. We need to stop the corporate welfare also and make them pay the money back if we are going to dismantle disability.
well

Thelma, KY

#28 Oct 7, 2013
Hey Buddy wrote:
<quoted text>
9 out of 10 you give a choice,$1000 a month disability or a living wage job with good benefits, will take the job. The problem being that there are no living wage jobs in this area.$1000 a month,$12,000 a year, half of what poverty level is at $24,000 a year and most will have a wife and kids.
Given the choice between a real job you can support a family on and disability "if they are able" who would choose abject poverty over a better standard of living. The education system here in Pike County leaves a lot to be desired in producing people able to function in the workforce. Coal Severance was wasted for over 30 years and at a time such as we are in now would have made a big difference in people's lives.
It is never as black & white as you people try to make it, it was for the last few years part of Obama's plan to distribute the wealth and everybody looked the other way. Just as the last administration and this one gave Wall Street Banks 100 times more money than the total disability system has passed out since the 1950's. We need to stop the corporate welfare also and make them pay the money back if we are going to dismantle disability.
Please explain how a $1000 a month check from the government a better standard of living? Of course it is easier to sit home and do nothing then to work 40 hours a week and make about $1000 a month. People used to have ambition and a little pride to at least try to help themselves.
a sad situation

Charleston, WV

#29 Oct 8, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain how a $1000 a month check from the government a better standard of living? Of course it is easier to sit home and do nothing then to work 40 hours a week and make about $1000 a month. People used to have ambition and a little pride to at least try to help themselves.
Not only do these check drawers get $1,000, you left out all the perks. Free food, free rent (or reduced rent to about $50-$75), free phone, free medical, even get free dog/cat/horse food if they have a pet. Then, when their children grow up, they do the same as their parents. All teachers need to do these days is teach kids how to sign their name in cursive. But IF by chance a child does grow up and makes good grades to go to college, then guess what? They go for FREE! Why?? Because daddy is a check-drawer. You, a hard-working mom and dad cannot afford to send your child, or you have borrow money to send them. So when someone says "Oh they just get $1000 a month", add up all the freebies and it's a WHOLE lot more. Add in all the food stamps, phones, medical, rent--- Probably equals to about $3,000-4,000 a month with all the extras.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#32 Oct 8, 2013
And therein lies the problem, had this Government not been the sole enabler of these people 'signing up' the system would not need a total overhaul now.

Our Government made it possible for people to actually have a better quality of life by NOT working.

If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and free cell phones, you might live in a nation founded by Geniuses, and ran by Idiots!!
BCB

Winchester, KY

#33 Oct 9, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
And therein lies the problem, had this Government not been the sole enabler of these people 'signing up' the system would not need a total overhaul now.
Our Government made it possible for people to actually have a better quality of life by NOT working.
If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and free cell phones, you might live in a nation founded by Geniuses, and ran by Idiots!!
then get away from the computer.an pick you up some cans.an hush.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#34 Oct 9, 2013
BCB wrote:
<quoted text>then get away from the computer.an pick you up some cans.an hush.
You really lack reading comprehension if you think I am 'on the draw' I have worked since the age of 15. I, along with countless others have paid into the system, so that those who refuse to work {because they too damn lazy and fat} or pretend to be mental can 'sign up' This particular program needed to be policed 20 years ago.
Granted there are some that unequivocally deserve that 'check' Others are simply manipulating the system.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#35 Oct 9, 2013
Hey Buddy wrote:
<quoted text>
9 out of 10 you give a choice,$1000 a month disability or a living wage job with good benefits, will take the job. The problem being that there are no living wage jobs in this area.$1000 a month,$12,000 a year, half of what poverty level is at $24,000 a year and most will have a wife and kids.
Given the choice between a real job you can support a family on and disability "if they are able" who would choose abject poverty over a better standard of living. The education system here in Pike County leaves a lot to be desired in producing people able to function in the workforce. Coal Severance was wasted for over 30 years and at a time such as we are in now would have made a big difference in people's lives.
It is never as black & white as you people try to make it, it was for the last few years part of Obama's plan to distribute the wealth and everybody looked the other way. Just as the last administration and this one gave Wall Street Banks 100 times more money than the total disability system has passed out since the 1950's. We need to stop the corporate welfare also and make them pay the money back if we are going to dismantle disability.
Not sure your stats are accurate, and I'm basing my opinion on the % of cases reviewed. 45%, that's nearly half are found to be questionable. If that is any indication of how it is nationwide, that means almost half of the people drawing are milking the system.{In other words, were completely able to work, but refused to do so}
The bigger question is, once they are kicked out of the free monies program what will they be capable of when forced with dire circumstances, it's evident they are not willing to work.
Sweettits

Lexington, KY

#36 Oct 15, 2013
Where is the shame. Folks talk about getting welfare like it earned. If you receive any welfare ( section 8, food stamps, WIC, SSI etc then you should be a shame.
EtcEtc

Harold, KY

#37 Oct 16, 2013
Yes, shame on you for getting your free public education, education loans and grants, surviving on daddy's unemployment benefits when he was laid off from his job that one time and driving on highways that you didn't build with your own two hands...YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!

Shame, shame, shame on you for using social programs that you and your families have helped to fund for generations. You are a blight on society.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#38 Oct 16, 2013
EtcEtc wrote:
Yes, shame on you for getting your free public education, education loans and grants, surviving on daddy's unemployment benefits when he was laid off from his job that one time and driving on highways that you didn't build with your own two hands...YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!
Shame, shame, shame on you for using social programs that you and your families have helped to fund for generations. You are a blight on society.
These programs were instilled for a helping hand when in need, not for a hand out....for those who expect the Gov. to provide them a permanent way of life.
EtcEtc wrote:
surviving on daddy's unemployment benefits when he was laid off from his job that one time
Yes, Daddy paid into that program and is completely entitled to draw it out when needed!
EtcEtc wrote:
driving on highways that you didn't build with your own two hands...YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!
You are an idiot, unless you are employed in the field of Road Construction, you didn't build those roads either, furthermore, the working people's tax $$$ contributed to the 'building' of those very roads.
Myself, I am employed in the Construction Business, so I can honestly say I have personally constructed roads, bridges, and even dams for all the world to use!
EtcEtc wrote:
Yes, shame on you for getting your free public education, education loans and grants
Last, but certainly not least, Education is not free! It requires hard work, diligence and a desire to become a better person through knowledge that is readily available to those willing and able to seek it. Yes Education Loans are available for those who are financially strapped, which will be paid back.
Grants are available for those who have excellent grades and are rewarded with this incentive for outstanding academic leadership.
How about you Get a Clue!
NotAmused

Harold, KY

#39 Oct 16, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
These programs were instilled for a helping hand when in need, not for a hand out....for those who expect the Gov. to provide them a permanent way of life.
<quoted text>
Yes, Daddy paid into that program and is completely entitled to draw it out when needed!
<quoted text>
You are an idiot, unless you are employed in the field of Road Construction, you didn't build those roads either, furthermore, the working people's tax $$$ contributed to the 'building' of those very roads.
Myself, I am employed in the Construction Business, so I can honestly say I have personally constructed roads, bridges, and even dams for all the world to use!
<quoted text>
Last, but certainly not least, Education is not free! It requires hard work, diligence and a desire to become a better person through knowledge that is readily available to those willing and able to seek it. Yes Education Loans are available for those who are financially strapped, which will be paid back.
Grants are available for those who have excellent grades and are rewarded with this incentive for outstanding academic leadership.
How about you Get a Clue!
(Please, read the dripping sarcasm in the previous post, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you'd require a disclaimer.)

You see, I didn't realize I needed a clue. In fact, I believe I am right on point...you insinuating that the Social Security program is not an entitlement like unemployment benefits is where the break down in logic seems to be. You, and those like you ranting and raving that anyone benefiting from a social program is shameful or somehow low class, THAT is what is shameful. The problem with judgmental folks like you is that no one ever works as hard as you or as long as you and no one deserves a break...until it's you and then, oh boy then, no one deserves it as much as you. So, while I'm looking around for a clue, on the off chance that I've lost one, I'd suggest you dig deep for some compassion and humility before one day it is indeed you on the receiving end of some uncontrollable life event that rocks your entire world.
BWAAA HAAA HAAA

Nashville, TN

#40 Oct 16, 2013
CBS tonight wrote:
Watching it. Mr. Conn will be on in a second.
Conn....CONN ?!?!?!?! His ACTUAL NAME is CONN (con)??????
.
.
.
.
BWWWWWWWAAAAA HAAAA HAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAAA !!
Wondering

Ransom, KY

#41 Oct 16, 2013
So what happens now?
YEAH - its PLENTY

Nashville, TN

#42 Oct 16, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain how a $1000 a month check from the government a better standard of living? Of course it is easier to sit home and do nothing....
TRUE...and it's not ONLY $1000. That's 1000 TAX FREE dollars.

PLUS, you also then qualify of all sorts of OTHER things B/C you are on "assistance" (free phone, reduced / supplemented housing / utility assistance, etc).

Those with a job have to use their money to pay for those things. You have to add up all the stuff you start getting b/c you are on "assistance"...THEN you begin to see how, and WHY people go for it.

For many..MANY People...as long as they have a TV and CABLE to watch...and maybe a computer to sit in front of all day...something to munch on (chips, soda, etc...all of which can be purchased with a welfare card).....they're GOOD TO GO.
sold

Elkview, WV

#43 Oct 16, 2013
Wondering wrote:
So what happens now?
A dog fight. This thing has only just begun.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#44 Oct 17, 2013
NotAmused wrote:
<quoted text>
(Please, read the dripping sarcasm in the previous post, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you'd require a disclaimer.)
You see, I didn't realize I needed a clue. In fact, I believe I am right on point...you insinuating that the Social Security program is not an entitlement like unemployment benefits is where the break down in logic seems to be. You, and those like you ranting and raving that anyone benefiting from a social program is shameful or somehow low class, THAT is what is shameful. The problem with judgmental folks like you is that no one ever works as hard as you or as long as you and no one deserves a break...until it's you and then, oh boy then, no one deserves it as much as you. So, while I'm looking around for a clue, on the off chance that I've lost one, I'd suggest you dig deep for some compassion and humility before one day it is indeed you on the receiving end of some uncontrollable life event that rocks your entire world.
Yes, I noticed your sarcasm, and NO you are not on point.
NotAmused wrote:
you insinuating that the Social Security program is not an entitlement like unemployment benefits is where the break down in logic seems to be.
Social Security Program is an Entitlement for those who have the credits worked out for them when they are ready to retire.
SSI on the other hand, is for those who do not have the credits worked out, yet claim they are unable to work, that money still comes out of the Social Security Fund of the working people.
The Segment on 60 Minutes was actually focusing on those 45% of people that were 'On the Draw' with questionable motives!

All of my comments are about the 45% that are abusing the system.
It appears the break down in logic is on your end, if you need proof, go back and read all my statements again.
I've lived in this area long enough to see the corruption and abuse of not only these entitlement programs, but of Drug Abuse, Judicial Abuse, and the list goes on and on.
One last thing, I have compassion, empathy, morals, and character, and I also know when and where to apply them!
Sweettits

Lexington, KY

#45 Oct 17, 2013
Stuck in a Lodi post are factual, google it. You others are defending a entitled life style that you know is wrong. You feel insulted when told to get a job. That's just good sound advice

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The White Neo Nazi Rally and Trump 2 min Fair question 65
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min CCR 163,710
Oreion Reeper (Apr '14) 22 min Big Glenn mobile 4
Sick of the smell in front of Pikeville High Sc... (Jun '14) 56 min old dude 41
Larry Tackett 1 hr Hey 1
Larry Tackett from Mayking, KY 1 hr Hey 1
cheating wife (Oct '16) 2 hr Set right 41
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 2 hr One Eyed Willy 4,445
FBI Transportation Cabinet Version 2017 7 hr A Hillary Deport... 161

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages