Fire Fees on Your Property Tax

Fire Fees on Your Property Tax

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
No New Tax

Richmond, KY

#1 Jul 8, 2013
Well here we go, another tax added to our property taxes on top of everything else that has been added on over the years. This thing will add hundreds of dollars to our property tax over time. It may start out at $50 or $75 dollars a year but just like the PCBOE they will automatically go in every year or so and raise the fee. with the economy down and fewer people working they are trying to put everything over on the property owner's. This is not a fair tax and should be shared by everyone as fighting fires is not the only service fire departments provide now.

Better fight this one hard and early, once it goes on we will get killed with this one. No NEW TAXES! Highest place in the tri state to live is Pike County and they are making it hard on retired people and people on fixed income's.
AGREE

Mount Sterling, KY

#2 Jul 8, 2013
I agree with you 100 percent. I am wondering, I have six different property tax bills, with three of them has no buildings on them, just land, wonder if they will try to put that on each tax bill I have or just one. I don't know how we fight it, I thought they already passed it.
No New Tax

Corbin, KY

#3 Jul 8, 2013
AGREE wrote:
I agree with you 100 percent. I am wondering, I have six different property tax bills, with three of them has no buildings on them, just land, wonder if they will try to put that on each tax bill I have or just one. I don't know how we fight it, I thought they already passed it.
They will put on everything but hillside property and cemetery plots. Get with the people running for sheriff and on the Pike county fiscal court, they are the ones they will have to bring it up for a vote on. I think they tried before and we got it shot down, they are bringing it up again according to the paper. We need to get the word out to our magistrates and Judge Exec. Don't know how many are running this time but I won't vote for a magistrate that votes for this or a judge or a Sheriff that don't fight it. The sheriff has to collect the property tax, they can speak against it before it comes before the fiscal court for a vote. I don't think this is a state legislative thing but if it is we need to contact them also.
AGREE

Mount Sterling, KY

#4 Jul 8, 2013
when is the next meeting?
AGREE

Mount Sterling, KY

#5 Jul 8, 2013
Also, saw in the paper where Wayne is giving $13,000 of our money to the Hatfield & McCoy play just for their lights & sound.
No New Tax

Corbin, KY

#6 Jul 8, 2013
AGREE wrote:
when is the next meeting?
The paper did not say and they said they are going to make sure they got their ducks in a row and the I's dotted and Tee's crossed before they bring it before the fiscal court next time so I feel the vote is not eminent but we still need to jump on this early. We need to not vote for any elected official that is pushing this and we need to let them know it way before they get their proposal to the fiscal court. Tell every property owner about this and as everyone to fight it, once it goes on it never comes off. It will grow like a tumor once they get it on our property tax.
who

Melvin, KY

#7 Jul 8, 2013
It seems no one here has stated the facts of the new taxes. After talking to a local fire chief, I got the scoop. Fire departments have been operating on coal severance tax dollars. Until this years budget, they was getting the same amount that was first allotted to them in 1983. Over the years, the prices of everything has went up and up except for what the local fire departments received. This year, each station took a massive cut for the county to balance the budget. Some stations lost as much as $4.500 dollars. That is between 1/2 and 3/4 of what they receive for a year. From what a chief told me, the added tax dollar on each property tax bill will be somewhere around 20-25 dollars. If the stations cant operate on the budget they receive now, the stations may be forced to close. If that happens, watch your home insurance raise by hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Fire departments are here do not just fight fire. They work car wrecks, move trees out of the roads, work traffic control, ect. Most outside the city of Pikeville are volunteer departments, meaning the people that could be cutting your loved ones or yourself out of a crashed car could be doing it in the rain at 3 in the morning and not even getting paid for it. I don't know what everyones problem is, but a 20 to 25 dollar tax to lower my home insurance, or to save a family member, neighbor, or friend would be well worth the price. I guess some people just want to bitch and complain without even checking on anything at all. There will not be 100 dollars extra posted on your taxes. Even if it is 25 dollars, that works out to $2.08 a month. If you cant afford that, then maybe you need to consider moving somewhere else and getting a better job.
Is this True

Ransom, KY

#8 Jul 8, 2013
No New Tax wrote:
<quoted text>
The paper did not say and they said they are going to make sure they got their ducks in a row and the I's dotted and Tee's crossed before they bring it before the fiscal court next time so I feel the vote is not eminent but we still need to jump on this early. We need to not vote for any elected official that is pushing this and we need to let them know it way before they get their proposal to the fiscal court. Tell every property owner about this and as everyone to fight it, once it goes on it never comes off. It will grow like a tumor once they get it on our property tax.
Why did Rupp Arena get Coal Severance Tax? Someone please give e an explanation? That makes sense"
Is this True

Ransom, KY

#9 Jul 8, 2013
Oops, meant to say me.
AGREE

Mount Sterling, KY

#10 Jul 8, 2013
who wrote:
It seems no one here has stated the facts of the new taxes. After talking to a local fire chief, I got the scoop. Fire departments have been operating on coal severance tax dollars. Until this years budget, they was getting the same amount that was first allotted to them in 1983. Over the years, the prices of everything has went up and up except for what the local fire departments received. This year, each station took a massive cut for the county to balance the budget. Some stations lost as much as $4.500 dollars. That is between 1/2 and 3/4 of what they receive for a year. From what a chief told me, the added tax dollar on each property tax bill will be somewhere around 20-25 dollars. If the stations cant operate on the budget they receive now, the stations may be forced to close. If that happens, watch your home insurance raise by hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Fire departments are here do not just fight fire. They work car wrecks, move trees out of the roads, work traffic control, ect. Most outside the city of Pikeville are volunteer departments, meaning the people that could be cutting your loved ones or yourself out of a crashed car could be doing it in the rain at 3 in the morning and not even getting paid for it. I don't know what everyones problem is, but a 20 to 25 dollar tax to lower my home insurance, or to save a family member, neighbor, or friend would be well worth the price. I guess some people just want to bitch and complain without even checking on anything at all. There will not be 100 dollars extra posted on your taxes. Even if it is 25 dollars, that works out to $2.08 a month. If you cant afford that, then maybe you need to consider moving somewhere else and getting a better job.
May I ask and you tell us what fire department you are with? I hope you got the nerve to tell us!!
No New Tax

Corbin, KY

#11 Jul 8, 2013
who wrote:
It seems no one here has stated the facts of the new taxes. After talking to a local fire chief, I got the scoop. This year, each station took a massive cut for the county to balance the budget. Some stations lost as much as $4.500 dollars. That is between 1/2 and 3/4 of what they receive for a year. From what a chief told me, the added tax dollar on each property tax bill will be somewhere around 20-25 dollars. If the stations cant operate on the budget they receive now, the stations may be forced to close. If that happens, watch your home insurance raise by hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Fire departments are here do not just fight fire. They work car wrecks, move trees out of the roads, work traffic control, ect. Most outside the city of Pikeville are volunteer departments, meaning the people that could be cutting your loved ones or yourself out of a crashed car could be doing it in the rain at 3 in the morning and not even getting paid for it. I don't know what everyones problem is, but a 20 to 25 dollar If you cant afford that, then maybe you need to consider moving somewhere else and getting a better job.
It may start as a $25 added tax on our property tax but it damn sure won't stay $25 for long. How do you know it will just be $25, they have not turned the proposal in yet, it may be more? Working Car Wrecks, you bill the insurance company's for that and for that matter add a tax to the car insurance, why does the home or property owner have to foot the bill for working wrecks. that is why you people send everything you have at the firehouse to a wreck so you can bill for it.
The people in Pike County Can't make up for the shortfalls in coal severance, especially since the reason they are having short falls in coal severance is because we re not mining as much coal. that means a lot of people that own the property don't have a job now to pay your extra tax.
The Federal is cutting back to the states, the state is cutting funds to the county but the people can't make up the short falls by you people just keep on adding stuff to our property tax. The PCBOE is a large part of our property tax, the Health Department, even the damn library has one of those go in and raise the rate when you get a wild hair taxes on our property tax. Now along with all those agencies with their automatic tax increases every year or two you plan on adding another one, Fire Department Tax. It is not about what I can afford now but how much I will be able to afford when all you automatic tax increase organizations go in as you always do and keep raising the tax every year. You may start low to get your foot in the door but nobody is a fool here, we all know there will be a big increase the 2nd or third year out.
I'm an not going to leave, I'm not going any damn place, I am going to stay here and fight this taxation on my property tax from everybody agency that loses coal severance or county funding.
It is not a fair tax, people on fixed incomes can't afford it, the working poor can't afford it and they can sell your property within one year now for delinquent taxes. They come in every year now to buy the delinquent taxes at the sale they have every year at the court house. Best damn interest in town, buying up delinquent property tax tickets and getting a 12% return on your money. You people are making out like bandits for every person that can't afford to pay their property tax now. You either get the property for nothing or make a cool 12% plus cost for each delinquent ticket you buy.
Driving people into delinquency on their property for a profit and now talking about adding more taxes on us. I will not go anywhere but to every property owner I know to tell them to tell their magistrates they better vote no on this new fee or fire tax on our property tax, they will lose their jobs over it if they don't
Gigot it

Statesville, NC

#12 Jul 8, 2013
No New Tax wrote:
Well here we go, another tax added to our property taxes on top of everything else that has been added on over the years. This thing will add hundreds of dollars to our property tax over time. It may start out at $50 or $75 dollars a year but just like the PCBOE they will automatically go in every year or so and raise the fee. with the economy down and fewer people working they are trying to put everything over on the property owner's. This is not a fair tax and should be shared by everyone as fighting fires is not the only service fire departments provide now.
Better fight this one hard and early, once it goes on we will get killed with this one. No NEW TAXES! Highest place in the tri state to live is Pike County and they are making it hard on retired people and people on fixed income's.
Election time is coming up next May let them magistrate vote for this one and we vote them out,we the voters fire tax their annals,now if any of them don't plan on filing more than likely they will favor it .
who

Melvin, KY

#13 Jul 8, 2013
AGREE wrote:
<quoted text>May I ask and you tell us what fire department you are with? I hope you got the nerve to tell us!!
I am not with a fire department. I know many who are. Within 4 miles from my house, there are three of them I am friends with. If you know who the fire chief in your area is and you ask them about it, does that make you a fireman? I hope you have the nerve to answer that.
AGREE

Mount Sterling, KY

#14 Jul 8, 2013
No New Tax wrote:
<quoted text>
It may start as a $25 added tax on our property tax but it damn sure won't stay $25 for long. How do you know it will just be $25, they have not turned the proposal in yet, it may be more? Working Car Wrecks, you bill the insurance company's for that and for that matter add a tax to the car insurance, why does the home or property owner have to foot the bill for working wrecks. that is why you people send everything you have at the firehouse to a wreck so you can bill for it.
The people in Pike County Can't make up for the shortfalls in coal severance, especially since the reason they are having short falls in coal severance is because we re not mining as much coal. that means a lot of people that own the property don't have a job now to pay your extra tax.
The Federal is cutting back to the states, the state is cutting funds to the county but the people can't make up the short falls by you people just keep on adding stuff to our property tax. The PCBOE is a large part of our property tax, the Health Department, even the damn library has one of those go in and raise the rate when you get a wild hair taxes on our property tax. Now along with all those agencies with their automatic tax increases every year or two you plan on adding another one, Fire Department Tax. It is not about what I can afford now but how much I will be able to afford when all you automatic tax increase organizations go in as you always do and keep raising the tax every year. You may start low to get your foot in the door but nobody is a fool here, we all know there will be a big increase the 2nd or third year out.
I'm an not going to leave, I'm not going any damn place, I am going to stay here and fight this taxation on my property tax from everybody agency that loses coal severance or county funding.
It is not a fair tax, people on fixed incomes can't afford it, the working poor can't afford it and they can sell your property within one year now for delinquent taxes. They come in every year now to buy the delinquent taxes at the sale they have every year at the court house. Best damn interest in town, buying up delinquent property tax tickets and getting a 12% return on your money. You people are making out like bandits for every person that can't afford to pay their property tax now. You either get the property for nothing or make a cool 12% plus cost for each delinquent ticket you buy.
Driving people into delinquency on their property for a profit and now talking about adding more taxes on us. I will not go anywhere but to every property owner I know to tell them to tell their magistrates they better vote no on this new fee or fire tax on our property tax, they will lose their jobs over it if they don't
I like the way you think. Did you ever think about running for public office. We need people that think like you do, With some backbone. And I do mean that.
who

Melvin, KY

#15 Jul 8, 2013
No New Tax wrote:
<quoted text>
It may start as a $25 added tax on our property tax but it damn sure won't stay $25 for long. How do you know it will just be $25, they have not turned the proposal in yet, it may be more? Working Car Wrecks, you bill the insurance company's for that and for that matter add a tax to the car insurance, why does the home or property owner have to foot the bill for working wrecks. that is why you people send everything you have at the firehouse to a wreck so you can bill for it.
The people in Pike County Can't make up for the shortfalls in coal severance, especially since the reason they are having short falls in coal severance is because we re not mining as much coal. that means a lot of people that own the property don't have a job now to pay your extra tax.
The Federal is cutting back to the states, the state is cutting funds to the county but the people can't make up the short falls by you people just keep on adding stuff to our property tax. The PCBOE is a large part of our property tax, the Health Department, even the damn library has one of those go in and raise the rate when you get a wild hair taxes on our property tax. Now along with all those agencies with their automatic tax increases every year or two you plan on adding another one, Fire Department Tax. It is not about what I can afford now but how much I will be able to afford when all you automatic tax increase organizations go in as you always do and keep raising the tax every year. You may start low to get your foot in the door but nobody is a fool here, we all know there will be a big increase the 2nd or third year out.
I'm an not going to leave, I'm not going any damn place, I am going to stay here and fight this taxation on my property tax from everybody agency that loses coal severance or county funding.
It is not a fair tax, people on fixed incomes can't afford it, the working poor can't afford it and they can sell your property within one year now for delinquent taxes. They come in every year now to buy the delinquent taxes at the sale they have every year at the court house. Best damn interest in town, buying up delinquent property tax tickets and getting a 12% return on your money. You people are making out like bandits for every person that can't afford to pay their property tax now. You either get the property for nothing or make a cool 12% plus cost for each delinquent ticket you buy.
Driving people into delinquency on their property for a profit and now talking about adding more taxes on us. I will not go anywhere but to every property owner I know to tell them to tell their magistrates they better vote no on this new fee or fire tax on our property tax, they will lose their jobs over it if they don't
I really don't know about billing insurance companies when the departments work car wrecks. I will ask about that when I see my friend out. I just don't know why you kept referring to "you" in the post that you replied to me with. I assure you I am not involved in this any at all. I asked someone, and replied with what I was told. The information I got might be wrong, but I think a explanation from a fire chief is worth more than a educated or uneducated guess.
Nucking Futs

Hopkinsville, KY

#16 Jul 8, 2013
That is bullshit! If this is the case, my house insurance better go down. I pay my insurance bills and there is no reason I should have to pay this crap. If so, there better not be any volunteer fire depts and they must have full time staff to respond 24/7 in a very timely manner as real fire depts do.
info

Thelma, KY

#17 Jul 8, 2013
Nucking Futs wrote:
That is bullshit! If this is the case, my house insurance better go down. I pay my insurance bills and there is no reason I should have to pay this crap. If so, there better not be any volunteer fire depts and they must have full time staff to respond 24/7 in a very timely manner as real fire depts do.
http://www.wkyt.com/yourtown/locations/pike/h...
AGREE

Mount Sterling, KY

#18 Jul 8, 2013


PIKE COUNTY, Ky.(WYMT)- Budget cuts could mean folks in Pike County will pay more for fire protection.

Recent cuts are causing some volunteer fire departments to lose thousands of dollars this year.

Fire officials say they may have to issue subscription fees to keep the departments open.

There are 26 volunteer fire departments in Pike County.

"May not see people at them a week, but they got a truck sitting in there that's ready to respond to their needs so that's why it's utterly important to keep them," said Randy Courtney, Pike County Firefighters Association President.

They are rated by size for insurance (ISO ratings), and they each get money from the county based on those ratings.

But smaller county budgets mean those departments are all feeling the pinch, some losing as much as $10,000.

"With less funding we're going to have to go some other means. Everybody knows coal severance money is drying up. Grant money is drying up," said Courtney.

On Monday night they met to discuss possible subscription fees for the homes they serve.

The fees would be added to property taxes, probably not totaling more than $55 per year.

"If you do $55 it's 14 cents a day for emergency services," said Courtney.

Keeping fire protection in those rural areas will also help keep home owner's insurance down.

Officials say before any action is taken they plan to hold more meetings and public forums to educate the firefighters and the public about these potential fees.

The fiscal court must approve the fees before the bill is added to taxes.
who

Melvin, KY

#19 Jul 8, 2013
Nucking Futs wrote:
That is bullshit! If this is the case, my house insurance better go down. I pay my insurance bills and there is no reason I should have to pay this crap. If so, there better not be any volunteer fire depts and they must have full time staff to respond 24/7 in a very timely manner as real fire depts do.
Your home insurance wont go down if it passes, but you can bet your sweet butt it will go up if the station that serves your area closes. It really doesn't matter much if it is full time station or volunteer one. Call a insurance company and ask them for a quote. When they ask how far you life from a fire station, tell them there are none around you and see the quote difference from what you are paying now. If you do that, I don't think you will complain about the extra tax. Try it and see, then let us all know the price difference in the two insurance prices.
oooops

Pikeville, KY

#20 Jul 9, 2013
My question is which one of you would like to pay more taxes? Who thinks that our elected officials should help take up some slack instead of unloading it on the taxpayers? Who thinks we ought vote each and everyone of the bums on the Fiscal Court & city commissions out next election?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 min umoron 151,982
More Ray Jones Rants 35 min Jerry 31
Looking for 1 hr David 6
To the fat beyotch wearing a Trump shirt at Riv... 2 hr Lester 24
Jones morbid fear 2 hr Wolf n Sheep Clot... 2
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 3 hr Red_Forman 7,777
Word Association (Aug '11) 3 hr Red_Forman 7,005
Vanderbeck Wants More Alcohol Sales 6 hr Vilis 29

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages