Energy Drinks Kill!
Parent

Clear Spring, MD

#1 Jan 24, 2010
Today I went to a "WAKE" of a middle school boy of 15.He passed away Wednesday night while playing basketball(at his school),a massive heart attack.It was the saddest thing I've EVER saw.All his classmates were crying ,some were just in shock! He has an identical twin.Not on drugs,no alcohol,nothing! BUT...before the game that night he drank half a can of the energy drink"Monster".Don't know if that is the reason but he was a healthy sports oriented,well liked boy!His mom is barely coping with the loss.Him and his brother were her life.She never missed a game Football (they excelled in football and was looking forward to playing together next year at High school)or basketball.
So parents ,next time your child asks for one of these drinks don't buy it ,it could be their last drink..
(I have been told kids were sneaking these drinks into school in a Gatorade bottle)
Maybe by posting this will save a child and a parent the loss of one.
Rough Divide

Macon, GA

#2 Jan 24, 2010
I am sincerely sorry for the parents loss.
It is true most people think that the worst side effect from an energy drink is that you are going to crash from the sugar after the drink has worn off. But I have heard stories of people having heart attacks associated with energy drinks. Some of the side effects are restlessness and irritability. The caffeine in energy drinks can make you irritable, restless and nervous. Excessive caffeine is also associated with headaches, tremors, nausea and insomnia.
Increased blood pressure. The caffeine in energy drinks can increase your blood pressure and make your heart beat faster. In some cases, this can trigger potentially dangerous changes in heart rhythm. Some energy drinks have caffeine levels per 8-ounce serving ranged from 50 milligrams to 145 mg. By comparison, a cup of coffee has roughly 100 mg; a 12-ounce Coke, about 24 mg. Caffeine intake up to about 300 mg a day is considered OK for most adults; children should be limited to well under 100 mg. But most tested energy drinks have more than 8 ounces per can or bottle. Anyone who guzzles the whole container consumes up to 200 mg of caffeine and up to 260 calories. Energy drinks are not healthy. And companies should be required to let people know exactly what they are drinking and how much of it. It is very possible that the reason for this young man's passing was from energy drinks causing an irregularity in the heart. So yes parents need to try and make sure that this type of product stays out of their children's hands.
Another thing about energy drinks is that they are very addictive if a person drinks them for long time periods. I also drink energy drinks. I drink about 2 a day at least. In the past I drank as many as 4. I have tried to stop drinking them because I know what they can do to a person. But if I go a while without drinking one I crave for one to the point were I absolutely must drink one to kill the urge.
Parent

Clear Spring, MD

#3 Jan 24, 2010
Rough Divide wrote:
I am sincerely sorry for the parents loss.
It is true most people think that the worst side effect from an energy drink is that you are going to crash from the sugar after the drink has worn off. But I have heard stories of people having heart attacks associated with energy drinks. Some of the side effects are restlessness and irritability. The caffeine in energy drinks can make you irritable, restless and nervous. Excessive caffeine is also associated with headaches, tremors, nausea and insomnia.
Increased blood pressure. The caffeine in energy drinks can increase your blood pressure and make your heart beat faster. In some cases, this can trigger potentially dangerous changes in heart rhythm. Some energy drinks have caffeine levels per 8-ounce serving ranged from 50 milligrams to 145 mg. By comparison, a cup of coffee has roughly 100 mg; a 12-ounce Coke, about 24 mg. Caffeine intake up to about 300 mg a day is considered OK for most adults; children should be limited to well under 100 mg. But most tested energy drinks have more than 8 ounces per can or bottle. Anyone who guzzles the whole container consumes up to 200 mg of caffeine and up to 260 calories. Energy drinks are not healthy. And companies should be required to let people know exactly what they are drinking and how much of it. It is very possible that the reason for this young man's passing was from energy drinks causing an irregularity in the heart. So yes parents need to try and make sure that this type of product stays out of their children's hands.
Another thing about energy drinks is that they are very addictive if a person drinks them for long time periods. I also drink energy drinks. I drink about 2 a day at least. In the past I drank as many as 4. I have tried to stop drinking them because I know what they can do to a person. But if I go a while without drinking one I crave for one to the point were I absolutely must drink one to kill the urge.
Thank you! There were so many people (about 1000)there ,it was at his school.The kids are having a hard time dealing with this.The school has grief counsellors but after all those kids watching that boy just drop dead in front of them its going to take a lot of understanding parents to help them through this.Keep them in your prayers and we can't forget the family.Thanks again!
Dee

Pikeville, KY

#4 Jan 24, 2010
I feel really bad for this boy's family. It has to be terrible to lose a child.
Parent...I'm not trying to start anything, and NOT saying there was....but, how do you know there was no drugs or alcohol involved?? Seriously, that wouldn't be known for sure until an autopsy was performed.
hmm

Pikeville, KY

#5 Jan 25, 2010
not a doc but alot of young players over the years that died had some form of heart problem. they didnt know about.caffine can make it worse sure. parents plz have your children checked before sports if any at all heart problems in family
Neuro

London, KY

#6 Jan 25, 2010
If you want a real energy drink,seek out Neuro Fuel because it is not a typical"energy"drink .It's actually for the creation of dopamine and serotonin in the brain and thus enhances mental stimulation,not physical therefore it does not contain the usual crap most energy drinks do.Neuro Fuel is hard to find although it was created and is produced in Knoxville,TN. but can be found for purchase on Amazon.com or via the NeuroFuel.com website.
chad

Shelbiana, KY

#7 Feb 19, 2010
They make me feel like crap. Also, way too many calories. They might give you pep, but they also add crazy calories...give me a diet pepsi anyday.
where

Ransom, KY

#8 Feb 19, 2010
Where did this happen? I haven't heard anything about this? I pray for the family, this is every parents nightmare.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4 letter word game (May '09) 4 min Jackie 222
Word Association (Aug '11) 6 min AppyMan 8,779
4 Letter Word Game (Mar '11) 7 min AppyMan 2,055
End Of The Word Game (May '11) 9 min Princess Hey 1,487
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Unreal 177,023
|keep a word, drop a word game| (Jul '11) 4 hr winner 350
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 4 hr winner 28,026
Brian Morris Exposed 6 hr Vote For Tolliver 11
District Court Judges race 6 hr Vote For Adam 43
County Attorney Race 6 hr Vote For Adam 136

Pikeville Jobs

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages