Have you heard of the new food stamp ...

Have you heard of the new food stamp law proposed?

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Wondering

Shelbiana, KY

#1 Dec 11, 2011
I just read on WYMT about this and I think people need to read it!!! I was in agreement somewhat but then I started thinking why is it fair to tell a poor kid he can't have a cookie or a treat while other kids can? As far as trying to stop the druggies from getting pop to sell, if you ban the junk next they'll just buy meats and sell those, look how much hamburger and chicken is! They will always find a way around it!
read it closer

Winchester, KY

#2 Dec 11, 2011
Wondering wrote:
I just read on WYMT about this and I think people need to read it!!! I was in agreement somewhat but then I started thinking why is it fair to tell a poor kid he can't have a cookie or a treat while other kids can? As far as trying to stop the druggies from getting pop to sell, if you ban the junk next they'll just buy meats and sell those, look how much hamburger and chicken is! They will always find a way around it!
this isnt aimed at refusing kids cookies...and if they ate a apple or banana over a twix bar is that so bad? the law is aimed at a healthier state...which in turn means lower heathcare in the long hual..my opinion is this...if a person is that hellbent on a candy bar? perhaps a part-time job is in order?
selfish

Pikeville, KY

#5 Dec 11, 2011
u people r very selfish,in denying a child a candy bar or a pop,i agree it is abused,they will find a way to abuse anything,i greg up as a child with a really hard life and i remember all the other kids had candy and pop and i could never have one do u know what that does to a child,my father died when i was 6 years old and my mother had 6 kids to take care of ,she didnt even draw foodstamps back them,some of u people have never had it hard its better to buy a kid a pop and candy then to trade it for beer and drugs why should the child pay,i think they should be able to buy wash pdrs and soap and didhwashing detergent also,because these are things a family needs,but deny a child of such things as a pop and candy ,i cant imagine,u have never had to worry or want for anything sounds like,the child cannot help what the parent does will pray for u people who want this law passed.
selfish

Pikeville, KY

#6 Dec 11, 2011
sorry i grew up as a child with a really hard life typo
dumb

Pikeville, KY

#7 Dec 11, 2011
read it closer wrote:
<quoted text> this isnt aimed at refusing kids cookies...and if they ate a apple or banana over a twix bar is that so bad? the law is aimed at a healthier state...which in turn means lower heathcare in the long hual..my opinion is this...if a person is that hellbent on a candy bar? perhaps a part-time job is in order?
u r a dumbass the kids cant work maybe u need to get a job and donate it to them.would u deny your child of one?
Agree

Richmond, KY

#8 Dec 11, 2011
I agree with the bill requiring an I.D. to use the food stamp card, because that will cut down on fraud. I also agree with the drug test bill, because food stamps aren't there to subsidize a drug habit. I know drug addicts have kids and the food stamps would really help them because they can't help having drug addicted parents, but most of the time the food stamps are just traded for cash and used for drugs, so I don't know what those poor kids do for food with or without food stamps.

But, as far as banning junk food from cards, I don't really agree. I don't know anyone who eats 100% healthy food 100% of the time. Every now and then, people just need a little treat or snack, especially kids. It just needs to be in moderation. I know this law is an attempt to get people to make healthier choices, but you can't really expect people to go without candy or soda or chips all the time. Maybe instead of taking away junk food altogether, they need to put a cap on it. For example, maybe only 10% of a person's food stamp benefits can go to soda, candy, etc. Or maybe a specific dollar amount. And it wouldn't hurt to make healthy food cheaper. I love to eat fresh fruits and veggies, but it can get expensive. Maybe you could offer an incentive to grocery stores to make healthy options more affordable. I don't know what that would be, but they should atleast look into it.
Tax Payer

Charleston, WV

#9 Dec 11, 2011
It's a shame that a parent is so damn sorry that they will not get out and work so they can buy their kid a candy bar instead of expecting the government to buy it for them. And I am not talking about the old people or the truly disabled either.
JusticeForNon

Pikeville, KY

#10 Dec 11, 2011
There will be ways around this guys, whats going to stop people from making sweets and such from scratch are they going to ban sugar too? no chance.

Not to mention all these major supermarkets and groceries in kentucky will throw a huge fit due to the major profit loss they'll take from stuff not being bought.

You cant force people to eat a certain way, they'll try and then they'll find out it will be a failure
Anamhe

Winchester, KY

#12 Dec 11, 2011
Tax Payer wrote:
It's a shame that a parent is so damn sorry that they will not get out and work so they can buy their kid a candy bar instead of expecting the government to buy it for them. And I am not talking about the old people or the truly disabled either.
The elderly and disabled will lose their priviledges right along with everybody else.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#16 Dec 11, 2011
selfish wrote:
u people r very selfish,in denying a child a candy bar or a pop,i agree it is abused,they will find a way to abuse anything,i greg up as a child with a really hard life and i remember all the other kids had candy and pop and i could never have one do u know what that does to a child,my father died when i was 6 years old and my mother had 6 kids to take care of ,she didnt even draw foodstamps back them,some of u people have never had it hard its better to buy a kid a pop and candy then to trade it for beer and drugs why should the child pay,i think they should be able to buy wash pdrs and soap and didhwashing detergent also,because these are things a family needs,but deny a child of such things as a pop and candy ,i cant imagine,u have never had to worry or want for anything sounds like,the child cannot help what the parent does will pray for u people who want this law passed.
I agree. I think that a certain amount of food stamps ought to be made allowable for soap, bleach, toothpaste, personal hygene products...People not only want to be able to feed their kids, they want to be able to keep them clean and their clothes washed, right?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#17 Dec 11, 2011
Agree wrote:
I agree with the bill requiring an I.D. to use the food stamp card, because that will cut down on fraud. I also agree with the drug test bill, because food stamps aren't there to subsidize a drug habit. I know drug addicts have kids and the food stamps would really help them because they can't help having drug addicted parents, but most of the time the food stamps are just traded for cash and used for drugs, so I don't know what those poor kids do for food with or without food stamps.
But, as far as banning junk food from cards, I don't really agree. I don't know anyone who eats 100% healthy food 100% of the time. Every now and then, people just need a little treat or snack, especially kids. It just needs to be in moderation. I know this law is an attempt to get people to make healthier choices, but you can't really expect people to go without candy or soda or chips all the time. Maybe instead of taking away junk food altogether, they need to put a cap on it. For example, maybe only 10% of a person's food stamp benefits can go to soda, candy, etc. Or maybe a specific dollar amount. And it wouldn't hurt to make healthy food cheaper. I love to eat fresh fruits and veggies, but it can get expensive. Maybe you could offer an incentive to grocery stores to make healthy options more affordable. I don't know what that would be, but they should atleast look into it.
I think that's a fine idea. Take WIC for instance. The state's all about kids eating healthier, yet they only allow $6.00 a month to be spent on fruits and veggies. 6 bucks a month. What can that buy?? One tomatoe costs almost 3 bucks. I paid 6 dollars for a bag of grapes! It's ridiculous! They want all of us to eat healthier, but who can afford to?? So I think your 10% idea is a pretty good one. If you get the maximum amount for one child, I think that's around 370 a month. That would allow you to spend roughly 35 a month on junk food...which is plenty in my opinion.
not selfish

Thelma, KY

#18 Dec 11, 2011
read it closer wrote:
<quoted text> this isnt aimed at refusing kids cookies...and if they ate a apple or banana over a twix bar is that so bad? the law is aimed at a healthier state...which in turn means lower heathcare in the long hual..my opinion is this...if a person is that hellbent on a candy bar? perhaps a part-time job is in order?
A little flour, sugar, perhaps some vanilla and voila you have cookies, maybe even a cake. Then you have flour leftover for some bisuits, pancakes and all sorts of other things. You have a lot more for your money than that $3.00 bag of cookies.
not selfish

Thelma, KY

#19 Dec 11, 2011
JusticeForNon wrote:
There will be ways around this guys, whats going to stop people from making sweets and such from scratch are they going to ban sugar too? no chance.
Not to mention all these major supermarkets and groceries in kentucky will throw a huge fit due to the major profit loss they'll take from stuff not being bought.
You cant force people to eat a certain way, they'll try and then they'll find out it will be a failure
The stores will have to stop ordering so many bags of cookies and chips. Eastern Kentucky might no longer be the number one soda consumer if they put a limit on that too.

Feeding children less junk food will result in healthier children too. Is that bad?
JusticeForNon

Pikeville, KY

#21 Dec 11, 2011
not selfish wrote:
<quoted text>
The stores will have to stop ordering so many bags of cookies and chips. Eastern Kentucky might no longer be the number one soda consumer if they put a limit on that too.
Feeding children less junk food will result in healthier children too. Is that bad?
Yeah it is, your basically giving the government the power to raise your kids when you allow them to make laws like this. Where is the line drawn?
I say bullsh t

Newport, KY

#22 Dec 11, 2011
Hell, why not just permit drugs to be purchased with the damned things. No one would need worry about food purchase constraints then. Fat, lazy kids are the next generation of fat, lazy, inbred eastern kentuckians. Why would anyone want to change that? It's what makes our nation what it is. A joke.
well then

Shelbiana, KY

#23 Dec 11, 2011
MOVE to another country!!
I say bullsh t

Newport, KY

#24 Dec 12, 2011
There ya go. There's that old "I'm entitled to everything" attitude that all of us hard working people appreciate hearing so much. That is why I say stop the programs completely. Previous generations didin't need to be carried. People prior to Vietnam possessed spines, were driven by personal fortitude, and motivated by a willingness to acheive. Generations today primarily desire others to do all the work, make all the sacrifices, and then to hand over what they have earned. You say move to another country. This is MY country. I've earned it, I've defended it, and I struggle to remain proud of it, but it gets to be difficult to love a tick infested dog. It isn't the dog that's bad, but the blood sucking ticks damn near make it untouchable. Try to wrap that simple mind around that and then, f ck yourself to bleeding.
I say bullsh t

Newport, KY

#25 Dec 12, 2011
If you're really pissed about the rules pertaining to handouts, why not consider getting a f cking job. The f ckwads in france, israel,and turkmenistan aren't entitled to one nickle of the hard working Americans's tax contributions and neither are the f ckwads here.
food Stamp Id

Isom, KY

#26 Dec 12, 2011
I use food stamps I'am not on drugs I'am a single mom and have to because of income sometimes I use food stamps to buy my kids birthday cakes with for there birthdays and I see nothing wrong with this you do what you have to do for your kids.
Bullocks

Dagenham, UK

#27 Dec 12, 2011
food Stamp Id wrote:
I use food stamps I'am not on drugs I'am a single mom and have to because of income sometimes I use food stamps to buy my kids birthday cakes with for there birthdays and I see nothing wrong with this you do what you have to do for your kids.
You chose to have kids, you should pay for them, not tax payers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Gospel Redemmers 7 min just saying 22
Pam May 50 min Dotty 23
Naked women of pike (Mar '13) 53 min big daddy here 14
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr usa 163,743
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 1 hr Kyboy 36,709
Who is Roger Ford ???????? (Sep '14) 2 hr Sweepy 50
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 4 hr Princess Hey 9,464
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 4 hr destroy the swamp 4,691
Russians paid Clintons 500k 6 hr Kyboy 39

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages