dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#88 Jun 27, 2013
Jesse and Frank James are from Missouri while their parents from Tennessee. The brothers visited kin in Tennessee and in all probability some James' branched off into Kentucky.

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#89 Jun 27, 2013
dunadd wrote:
Skeeter Davis born at Corbin, Kentucky!
Skeeter was born in Dry Ridge, Ky.(Grant County)

“229 Strong”

Climax, Kentucky

#90 Jun 27, 2013
lost in a lodi wrote:
Ned Beatty `` louisville
Tony Snow white house press sec..``` Berea
Nick Lachey once married to Jessica Simpson ``` Harlan
He was born across the border in Pennington Gap, Va.

But spent his early years in Harlan.

“Pink is your new obsession!!”

Since: Mar 13

Ojai, CA

#91 Jun 27, 2013
Barbaro was born in Ky and was a very famous Kentuckian.
Seriously

Elkhorn City, KY

#92 Jun 27, 2013
Musikologist wrote:
<quoted text>He was born across the border in Pennington Gap, Va.
But spent his early years in Harlan.
Ummm No he was born in Hzrlan, spent his early years in OH where he attended Cinn. Public School!
Seriously

Elkhorn City, KY

#93 Jun 27, 2013
Harlan *
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#94 Jun 27, 2013
you're right about Skeeter Davis. It was BJ Davis from Corbin.
Berry Girl

United States

#95 Jun 27, 2013
dunadd wrote:
Jesse and Frank James are from Missouri while their parents from Tennessee. The brothers visited kin in Tennessee and in all probability some James' branched off into Kentucky.
Thank you

“229 Strong”

Climax, Kentucky

#96 Jun 27, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm No he was born in Hzrlan, spent his early years in OH where he attended Cinn. Public School!
You're probably correct.

It might be his brother Drew that was actually born in pennington Gap.

The family moved to Cincinnati, in the Finneytown area.

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#97 Jun 27, 2013
Berry Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you
The James Bros. are one of those that had ties to Kentucky although not originally from here, much like the notoriously infamous "Devil"
(or "Bad") John Wright. He was born in Virginia but most of his fame
and legacy was built on events happening in KY.
buttsecks champ

Richmond, KY

#98 Jun 27, 2013
PAT RlOT wrote:
<quoted text>
The James Bros. are one of those that had ties to Kentucky although not originally from here, much like the notoriously infamous "Devil"
hey chunky butt did you hear twinkies are coming back on the shelves in july? make sure to save you some food stamps back...I know how you adore them.
Home

Whitesburg, KY

#99 Jun 27, 2013
Francis Gary Powers, the U2 Spy plane pilot that was shot down in the Soviet Union was born in Burdine, Ky, then moved to pound as a baby.

“Pink is your new obsession!!”

Since: Mar 13

Ojai, CA

#100 Jun 27, 2013
just thought some of you might enjoy this story....or not. its a good story, i think.
http://www.umsl.edu/~whmc/guides/whm0011.htm

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#101 Jun 27, 2013
Home wrote:
Francis Gary Powers, the U2 Spy plane pilot that was shot down in the Soviet Union was born in Burdine, Ky, then moved to pound as a baby.
Correct. Burdine is also where I live and it's hard to imagine now but Burdine
was once a bustling area with a couple of stores and a movie theater. Hard to
believe by the looks of it these days though.

Here's another non-native Kentuckian but did spend a lot if his life here: Film director and horror buff John Carpenter. He moved to Bowling Green, KY.
shortly after his birth in N.Y. and grew up there. In fact there are many references to Bowling Green and other local areas, places, etc. in many of
Carpenter's films.
From Perry

London, KY

#103 Jun 27, 2013
PAT RlOT wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. Burdine is also where I live and it's hard to imagine now but Burdine
was once a bustling area with a couple of stores and a movie theater. Hard to
believe by the looks of it these days though.
Here's another non-native Kentuckian but did spend a lot if his life here: Film director and horror buff John Carpenter. He moved to Bowling Green, KY.
shortly after his birth in N.Y. and grew up there. In fact there are many references to Bowling Green and other local areas, places, etc. in many of
Carpenter's films.
I think that Tom Cruise was also born in New York then lived in Kentucky as a teenager. I think he lived in Louisville for a while.
Ladybug

Johnson City, TN

#104 Jun 27, 2013
Halfway 2 hazard was a country duo from Hazard Ky .. Opened up for Tim McGraw they were really good but I heard they broke up.. Ky headhunters..too
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#105 Jun 27, 2013
Dave Akeman from Edmonton, Kentucky!

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#106 Jun 27, 2013
From Perry wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that Tom Cruise was also born in New York then lived in Kentucky as a teenager. I think he lived in Louisville for a while.
I'm not sure if he ever lived in Louisville but it's possible. I say that's possible and probable he was in the area at times since, and many people don't know this about Thomas Cruise Mapother IV (his full real name) but he briefly attended a Franciscan seminary in Cincinnati on a church scholarship and aspired to become a Catholic priest...long before becoming the brainwashed puppet of Scientology he is today,LOL!
Berry Girl

United States

#107 Jun 27, 2013
PAT RlOT wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Pat, and thank you.
wow

Wayland, KY

#108 Jun 27, 2013
Names Notable for Connection to Kentucky
James Lane Allen (1849–1925) Author, called the state's first important novelist[1] Born near Lexington[1]
Harriette Simpson Arnow (1908–1986) Writer of novels, memoirs, and regional histories Born in Wayne County, Raised in Pulaski County
Wendell Berry (born 1934) Author and poet[2] Born in New Castle[2]
Myram Borders (born 1936) 20-year manager of Las Vegas United Press International bureau, chief of Las Vegas News Bureau Born in Kentucky
Harry M. Caudill (1922–1990) Author, historian, and attorney[3] Born in Whitesburg[3]
Warren H. Chaney, Ph.D.(1942) Author,[4] Educator,[5] and Executive.[6][7] Born in Louisville, Raised in Hopkinsville, Christian County
Irvin S. Cobb (1876–1944) Author, humorist Born in Paducah
Clive Cussler (born 1931) Author and Oceanic Explorer Lived in Louisville
Greg Downs (born 1971) Author[8] Raised in Elizabethtown[8]
Damon R. Eubank (born 1959) Author and historian[9] Reared in Hardin County and resident of Campbellsville in Taylor County[9]
John Fetterman (1920–1975) Pulitzer prize-winning journalist for Louisville Courier-Journal Born in Danville
Larry Flynt (born 1942) Hustler magazine publisher[10] Born in Lakeville (Magoffin County)[10]
Joey Goebel (born 1980) Author[11] Born in Henderson[11]
Betty Jane Gorin-Smith (born 1940) Historian, author of Morgan Is Coming![12] Born and reared in Campbellsville[12]
Silas House (born 1971) Author[13] Reared in Lily (Laurel County)[13]
Robert Kirkman (born 1978) Comic book writer, co-creator of The Walking Dead[14] Raised in Cynthiana[14]
Bobbie Ann Mason (born 1940) Author[15] Born in Mayfield[15]
Ed McClanahan (born 1932) Novelist, essayist, professor Born in Brooksville; lives in Lexington
Gurney Norman (born 1937) Novelist, documentarian, professor Raised in Allais; worked for Hazard Herald; professor at University of Kentucky
Marsha Norman (born 1947) Author and lyricist[16] Born in Louisville[16]
Andrew J. Offutt (1934-2013) Author,[17] father of Chris Offutt Born near Morehead, lived in Louisville[17]
Chris Offutt (born 1958) Author[18] Raised in Haldeman (Rowan County)[18]
Elizabeth Madox Roberts (1881–1941) Poet and novelist Born in Perryville, spent most of her life in Springfield
Steve Raible (born 1954) News anchor, sports announcer, former NFL player Born in Louisville, attended Trinity High School
Charles P. Roland (born 1918) Historian Reared in Tennessee, spent academic career at Tulane University in New Orleans and the University of Kentucky, retired to Lexington[19]
Jesse Stuart (1907-1984) Novelist, poet and short story writer. Born in Greenup County Kentucky Died in Ironton Ohio Went to Vanderbilt University Poet laureate of Kentucky 1954
Allen Tate (1899–1979) Poet, novelist, literary critic[20] Born in Winchester[20]
Helen Thomas (born 1920) News service reporter and a member of the White House press corps[21] Born in Winchester[21]
Hunter S. Thompson (1937–2005) Journalist and Author[22] Born in Louisville[22]
Gilbert R. Tredway (born 1922) Author and American Civil War historian[23] Indiana native; professor in Campbellsville[23]
Robert Penn Warren (1905–1989) First poet laureate of the United States[24] Born in Guthrie[24]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rodney Kiser (Aug '09) 30 min Family 9
Jacky Darryl selling rock lol 48 min Rock n Roll good ... 2
Jackie Phone Home 49 min The Rocks are fallin 1
Indicted Mayor 1 hr big daddy 13
Where did Jackies Rocks go 1 hr Get my Rocks off 1
trump cut's us. debt by 12 billion 1 hr Not True At All 19
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr CriminalForever 159,597
Anyone Know Who Sells Diet Plan Called V3? 2 hr Jackie Sells Rock 31

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages