Arizona Law Vetoed
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Gov Slaps Republicans

Shelbiana, KY

#1 Feb 27, 2014
The Republican Governor of Arizona slapped down her own Party Yesterday when she sharply criticized and Vetoed a Bill passed by Republicans to allow discrimination and epdenial of any services of any kind to gay people.

The Arizona Republicans are furious.
obama hater

Clay City, KY

#2 Feb 27, 2014
and stupid......
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#3 Feb 27, 2014
KBI is still in effect. John McGarry trumps Jan Brewer or any governor of Arizona.
Disgusted

Harold, KY

#4 Feb 27, 2014
That bill wasn't created to allow any sort of discrimination, it was to protect ppl's religious rights. It's a shame that such a bill had to be created in the first place, our society needs help from God.
Disgusted

Harold, KY

#5 Feb 27, 2014
Believe it or not there are still some God fearing, Bible believing ppl in this world, and it's a shame that we have to have a special bill passed into law to protect those beliefs.
RIP to your conscience

Pikeville, KY

#6 Feb 27, 2014
yep, they want to force people to make wedding cakes with 2 grooms or 2 brides or get sued. freedom of religion and the right to choose how you run your small business is dead. fema camps might be next for anyone that dissents or refuses to bow the knee to political correctness. no such thing as free assocation I quess anymore. next they'll try to force pro life doctors to do late term abortions that aren't even a situation involving a mother's health. they'll say "I just changed my mind about having this baby, it's due next week, suck it's little brain out" and the supreme court will force doctors with a conscience to do it agaisnt their will or else. the USA is looking hopeless. the USA is getting more and more hive minded, like we're a bunch of bugs that just obey the people in charge.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#7 Feb 27, 2014
There isn't many of the Lester Maddox type of people left, now, are there?
makes you wonder

Stanford, KY

#8 Feb 27, 2014
Why would any same sex couple want to force someone to do a video of their weddig if the person has a religious view against same sex marriage? They better find someone who doesn't have an issue with their marriage choice.
The only reason that I can see why someone would want too force a business to have to participate in some event that goes againt their religious values is so they could sue them.
Historian

South Fulton, TN

#9 Feb 27, 2014
Governor Jan Brewer did the right thing in vetoing this law.

Here are the pertinent facts about ti from Wikipedia:

SB 1062 was intended to amend Section 41-1493 of the Arizona Revised Statutes, which prevents "any law, including state and local laws, ordinances, rules, regulations and policies" from "substantially burden[ing]" a person's exercise of religion, unless the burden is the least restrictive means of furthering a "compelling government interest". SB 1062 would have revised it by expanding the definition of person in the article from "a religious assembly or institution" to also include "any individual, association, partnership, corporation, church," "estate, trust, foundation or other legal entity", and would have allowed for religious-freedom as a claim or defense in lawsuits "regardless of whether the government is a party to the proceeding."

Point is this: The Christian fundamentalists are having a shit fit over the gay marriage aspect, but SB 1062 was so worded that religion could be used as an almost ironclad defense by any individual, corporation, etc. for refusing service to anyone for any reason that they chose to call religious. For example, a landlord could have refused to rent to a heterosexual couple who were not legally married. One could have even conceivably refused to rent to a married couple who were married in a civil rather than religious ceremony. Someone could have refused service to an individual who was born illegitimate. The list could go on forever.
private property

Pikeville, KY

#10 Feb 27, 2014
omg no, land owners, PRIVATE land owners would have a say concerning their property rights and who they decide to allow to live on THEIR property in THEIR home. sounds like you don't believe in private property which means you don't believe in the bill of rights.
private property

Pikeville, KY

#11 Feb 27, 2014
people who claim to believe in the bill of rights but don't actually believe in them. why not just trash the rest of the bill of rights while you're at it. take away freedom of speech and the right to bear arms and the right to a fair and speedy trial and the need for a warrant for a reasonable search and seizure while you're at it. THOSE PESKY RIGHTS!
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#12 Feb 28, 2014
Disgusted wrote:
Believe it or not there are still some God fearing, Bible believing ppl in this world, and it's a shame that we have to have a special bill passed into law to protect those beliefs.
Good thing it was vetoed and is nothing but a useless piece of toilet paper now.
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#13 Feb 28, 2014
Disgusted wrote:
That bill wasn't created to allow any sort of discrimination, it was to protect ppl's religious rights. It's a shame that such a bill had to be created in the first place, our society needs help from God.
Brewer did the right thing and vetoed the silly BS.
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#14 Feb 28, 2014
private property wrote:
omg no, land owners, PRIVATE land owners would have a say concerning their property rights and who they decide to allow to live on THEIR property in THEIR home. sounds like you don't believe in private property which means you don't believe in the bill of rights.
Just leave this Country Stupid.
Gov Slaps Down Bill

Shelbiana, KY

#15 Feb 28, 2014
The discriminatory BS Bill is nothing but Toilet Paper now.
Lmfao

Kansas City, MO

#16 Feb 28, 2014
Fox News Is A Joke wrote:
<quoted text>Good thing I had my tongue waxed.My boyfriend can use it for toilet paper now.
Lmfao
Truth is

Richmond, KY

#17 Feb 28, 2014
Homosexuals are nasty, filthy disease spreading mutants. They are a cesspool of STD's, HIV, AIDS infested scum of the earth. They are the downfall of any great society once they are tolerated and usually permitted toward the end of a societies lifecycle. They should be discriminated against.
Historian

South Fulton, TN

#18 Feb 28, 2014
private property wrote:
Yes, I believe in private property. But when you put up a public "For Rent" sign on that property, it is for rent to ANYONE who reads the sign. If you, as a property owner, can't agree to that, then get out of the rental business. The same goes for any other public business, too.
Just a thought

Pikeville, KY

#19 Feb 28, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I believe in private property. But when you put up a public "For Rent" sign on that property, it is for rent to ANYONE who reads the sign. If you, as a property owner, can't agree to that, then get out of the rental business. The same goes for any other public business, too.
That's what most don't get. You have no religious right when you offer services to the public.
Banner Mule

La Follette, TN

#20 Feb 28, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone fills out an application to rent from me. No walk in can demand for me to rent to them without a thorough background check. You can put anyone off if you don't want them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min Forumwatcher 177,279
I'm in trouble 37 min True Dat 2
4 letter word game (May '09) 43 min Jackie 222
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 53 min Jackie 28,035
L@@KING for a baby crib please help 1 hr Min 4
Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ? (May '11) 2 hr go fish 1,228
Danny Scott Constable district 1 2 hr HItroll 6
Brian Morris Exposed 7 hr Rail 13
District Court Judges race 20 hr Vote For Adam 43
County Attorney Race 20 hr Vote For Adam 136

Pikeville Jobs

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages