First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BCB

Pikeville, KY

#21 Jun 13, 2014
i guess i have one of the best MoM older trucks there is.an pulled it in on a fourwheeler.
Home Cookin

Richmond, KY

#22 Jun 13, 2014
Well when they come on here bragging about heir affiliation with Paintsville and how they run with the Gearheads and then trashing the Pikeville car clubs and the M.O.M. even it is easy to see that there is and will be a competition for the old cars and this joker has been slamming Pikeville for years. All the money Pikeville spends to put on a good car venue "like the new stone seating over in the River Fill"..it is hard for other cities nearby to keep up. As for people being stuck up, who goes to a car show looking at or worrying about people? I go for the cars, the old cars, find plenty of people with old cars like mine to talk to. I do not go to M.O.M. on account of the Gold Chain'ers, the Vette's and the credit card cars. When the ratio of old cars to new gets out of hand, I'll quit going. When it is all mini, trucks, I'll quit going. When if is all Jap Tuner cars I'll quit going, but right now it is mostley old cars. As lomg as it is 90% old cars, no problem.
IRS

Pikeville, KY

#23 Jun 13, 2014
Home Cookin wrote:
Well when they come on here bragging about heir affiliation with Paintsville and how they run with the Gearheads and then trashing the Pikeville car clubs and the M.O.M. even it is easy to see that there is and will be a competition for the old cars and this joker has been slamming Pikeville for years. All the money Pikeville spends to put on a good car venue "like the new stone seating over in the River Fill"..it is hard for other cities nearby to keep up. As for people being stuck up, who goes to a car show looking at or worrying about people? I go for the cars, the old cars, find plenty of people with old cars like mine to talk to. I do not go to M.O.M. on account of the Gold Chain'ers, the Vette's and the credit card cars. When the ratio of old cars to new gets out of hand, I'll quit going. When it is all mini, trucks, I'll quit going. When if is all Jap Tuner cars I'll quit going, but right now it is mostley old cars. As lomg as it is 90% old cars, no problem.
That spent money is taxpayer money and we all know that Pikeville has leaned heavily on the people. Paintsville spends public funds to help the majority not the elitist. Thus the seats on the old river bank.

All in the name of corvettes and vipers that the elitist dealership owners sell.
Home Cookin

Winchester, KY

#24 Jun 13, 2014
IRS wrote:
<quoted text>
That spent money is taxpayer money and we all know that Pikeville has leaned heavily on the people. Paintsville spends public funds to help the majority not the elitist. Thus the seats on the old river bank.
All in the name of corvettes and vipers that the elitist dealership owners sell.
What a crock! You won't see any gold chainer's over in the cheap sets, they sit up on main in their lawn chairs under their tent, got it made in the shade....lol
You peons can go sit in the hemorrhoid pit....lol
Quite Evident

Louisville, KY

#25 Jun 14, 2014
That the event is directed by the local club. And that is great if you like the new smell car way. And I also don't care for them so I just walk past them. No big deal except when the influence is such then there is no plan or way to attract the other types of vehicles. And I think that is bad for growth. But when the gold chainers are at the wheel we all hit the ditch when they go off the road.
Ole School

Winchester, KY

#26 Jun 14, 2014
A classic is a car over 25 years old, the Muscle Car Era ended in 1972 with the advent of unleaded gas. The 50's was all about style and chrome, the 60's about style and muscle. The late 40's, 50's and 60's was the heyday of hotrods and customs. Newer corvettes, vipers, and new retro cars stick out like a whore in church in an old car event. If you can go to a car lot and see them or see them running up and down the road everyday "what's so special about them"? The guys that own them don't have the plague but they also don't have a clue about what people want to see at an old car venue.
I hear there is a new guy over M.O.M., word of advise, Keep it ole school. I know for the cities purpose they want to draw as many into town as possible so let em in but I would reserve main for the old cars and classics. There should be separate areas for the new sports cars, mini trucks and metric tuner cars. The guys driving the 40, 50 and 60 year old cars or older is what classic car events are about. The day I can't find a parking spot on main I'll pick another weekend aside from the second weekend in the month and another city. I'm ole school, don't like the new retro's, plastic cars or into sports cars, domestic or foreign. You start seeing the old cars leave town and you will start seeing the show and shine attendance from 3 to 7 disappear. Since it's all about arm drop drag Pikeville may not care. That's OK also because there are other events that still cater to the old cars.
Ole School

Winchester, KY

#27 Jun 15, 2014
Good day yesterday, not to hot and there were plenty of old cars at the M.O.M. 10-1 old cars so the event was still about the classic car. Looks like there was a good number although I did not have an exact count. Only suggestions I could make is they need to get speakers on down to the new court house, you can't hear the music or what's going on down there. Some more activities in the 3 to 7 time slot but these are minor things, overall a good day and a good event.
I Agree

Manchester, KY

#28 Jun 15, 2014
Ole School wrote:
Good day yesterday, not to hot and there were plenty of old cars at the M.O.M. 10-1 old cars so the event was still about the classic car. Looks like there was a good number although I did not have an exact count. Only suggestions I could make is they need to get speakers on down to the new court house, you can't hear the music or what's going on down there. Some more activities in the 3 to 7 time slot but these are minor things, overall a good day and a good event.
It was a good day. Your point about speakers on the lower end of town would be nice.

And it appeared that there were a good ratio of classics/muscle/streetrod vs new rides. Not sure about 10-1 but it was a better than usual ratio. Nice to see that some attention is being made to attract and accommodate the children.

I still can't figure out what the mindset is of a guy that has a 2014 Corvette and he shows up. Though I am not for the exclusion of them by the organizers because that would cause a huge stink storm. But I am of the thought that a car that could still be on the showroom floor, or the SLIGHTLY DRIVEN used car lot, has no place amongst the cars that attract most of the public. My only thought is they are ignorant of the car culture or they are so stuck on their new car smell ride that their ego overrides common sense.

Any car from the day gone by will attract me as I often wonder where it has been. How many owners cherished it. And how it avoided the junkyard or crusher. Those things just can't apply to the new cars that so shamefully show up and park alongside true classics.

Come on credit card guys just park'em on Hambley or in the town garage and wear your tee-shirt with the pictyre of it. Respect those that have rides not designed for unleaded fuel and leave your ego aside for a hour or so. Or better yet take a couple months of the new car payment money and use it to by a classic and drive it to the muscle day. You will be respected for once.
Beginning to see

Winchester, KY

#29 Jun 15, 2014
Check out the pictures of them sitting in front of their family rides at LJ's blockparty Friday Night. They did not want to get their credit card cars wet so they drove their family cars and parked in front of them in their lawn chairs, knocking out the old cars that LJ's wanted at their cruise in.
Pikeville pays for the block party for the gold chain set to take up space with the new rides...we had classics that could not find a space and left.
LJ's wanted that lot full of old cars for advertisement, not family cars taking up parking places. Could not believe the main street live photo's or the M.O.M. showing them sittin in front of those SUV's at an A&W 50's 60's cruise in.....
Caught in the Act

Winchester, KY

#30 Jun 15, 2014
Check out the Pikeville City tourism photo album on face book. 82 photos of the LJ's A&W block party on June 14th. If you notice all the murals on the walls at LJ's are of 50's cars, they were handing out classic car T-Shirts and giving 20% discounts for participants "old cars". The club member SUV's took space that should have been for some of the old cars that could not find a parking place....this is just not fair to the restaurants that help sponsor the cruise in for advertisement purposes. Not fair to the city of Pikeville that pays for the band as part of the M.O.M. weekend activities. These guys could have at least parked those cars off the lot and made room for more classics.
Correction

Winchester, KY

#31 Jun 15, 2014
Pikeville City Tourism June 13th block party FB Pics....
freedom

Pikeville, KY

#32 Jun 15, 2014
New cars don't have the stories and history that the old classics have, I'll agree, but they do have just as much right to be there as the classics. It's "muscle" on main and if it's a muscle car it belongs new or old. A lot of people like the newer stuff and a lot like the older. You've gotta tolerate both crowds or the show would be a bust. New cars are more art and speed while the classics tell a story. Different strokes for different folks. It's not a "classic" car show it's a "muscle" car show.
Reading Comprehension

Winchester, KY

#33 Jun 16, 2014
freedom wrote:
New cars don't have the stories and history that the old classics have, I'll agree, but they do have just as much right to be there as the classics. It's "muscle" on main and if it's a muscle car it belongs new or old. A lot of people like the newer stuff and a lot like the older. You've gotta tolerate both crowds or the show would be a bust. New cars are more art and speed while the classics tell a story. Different strokes for different folks. It's not a "classic" car show it's a "muscle" car show.
The postings were about the Block Party mot M.O.M. the restaurants that have a 50's, 60's theme want old cars at the Block Party/Cruise In's for advertisement purposes. They don't want pictures of new vehicles at their sponsored events. It was would not have been a long walk to park the family SUV off to the side and let some of the old cars that could not find a spot park. They did not bring their new M.O.M. cars to the event, it was threatening rain and they did not want to get them wet. If you are in a club with your name associated with M.O.M. and the city you work to make the Restaurants Cruise In as successful as possible, not take up parking with your family ride at the expense of the old cars. The restaurants take advertisement pictures and have to send them to corporate to show what they are doing. They don't want a lot full of family SUV's or new Retro Cars and Sports cars in their pictures. They want their customers to be able to come in and see the old cars during the cruise ins they sponsor. Just a little bit selfish or maybe they just don't think at all.

A 50's 60's THEME CRUISE IN NEEDS THE OLD CARS TO BE AUTHINTIC...

Nobody cares about a few new rides at M.O.M.as long as the majority are old cars but Cruise Ins you do for the restaurants that have an old car theme need to be all old cars. LJ's A&W have an 50's 60's theme, go look around in the restaurant and check out the T-Shirts and paraphernalia they sell. If a Drive In Restaurant wants to host a Cruise In they want the old cars "THINK" it's not brain surgery!
Sports Car Club

Winchester, KY

#34 Jun 16, 2014
The Car Club never goes out of the City Limit for there Cruise Ins and when a restaurant out in the county has a Cruise It's only the guys with the old cars in the club show up. The gold chain'ers never go and the people with the old cars in the club know it is all about the Vipers and the Corvettes. The club is not about the mom and pop restaurants or business out in the county. If it is not a large corporate chain Restaurant or associated with Pikeville big money crowd they won't go.
Since the club has become all about Pikeville and the new cars membership seems to be dropping. The people with the old cars need a club they can join that caters to the old cars. The good ole boys needs to be the Good Ole Boys Sports Car Club and the guys with the old cars need to find a club that is about the classic, muscle, rod and custom cars. Nothing wrong with a Sports Car Club, they are common, it just gets confusing when a so called Rod and Custom Club is run by people that own and promote their sports cars. Maybe that is the reason the membership is down and hardly anyone comes to their club meetings. Their is no room in that club for working class men with the older rides, it's all about the gold chain'ers and the high end sports cars. Nothing wrong with that, they can still let M.O.M. use their name, just quit pretending to be a classic car club and quit promoting the new cars at the M.O.M. That row of new rides in front of the bank on main is club cars and that encourages and sets the tone for what kind of rides are wanted in the M.O.M. Nothing wrong with that, if that is what the theme of M.O.M. is going to be. My advise would be get yourself an old ride for M.O.M. and ride that new sports car on Sunday.
Block Parties

Winchester, KY

#35 Jun 17, 2014
When thinking about it, would someone bring a family car to an old car event like Muscle on Main or a High School car show? Especially people that are in a car club and supposed to be sponsoring and supporting the Restaurants Cruise IN/Block Party. Other than their reserved parking spot on main I guess this show how they feel about the other M.O.M. activity that Pikeville city pays for. Here is something to think about, if you don't want to take your new sports cars to a M.O.M. sponsored Block Party, park the SUV over out of the way and help park the old cars, find them parking spaces and help with the Cruise In instead of planting yourself down in front of the family SUV and taking up the parking space for an old 50's 60's car....
Quite Evident

Pikeville, KY

#36 Jun 17, 2014
The little billionaire wishes to present harmony within the city and MOM.

Thus the corvette crowd.
Superbee

Clay City, KY

#37 Jun 17, 2014
I watched the gold chainers walk all the way down main street and the only ones they stopped to talk with was those that drove shiny new airbag rides.

Enough said about those that influence the makeup of the event. See these are the same ones praising the city for allowing us the public to use THEIR streets.

Elitist participants praising elitist city leaders. The streets are ours. And to heap praise upon our elected officials for allowing us to use our streets is hilarious.
Patience

Winchester, KY

#38 Jun 17, 2014
I am going to give the new Activities Director a chance, that's a tough job. The first M.O.M. was rained out so the 14th of June was his first actual M.O.M. for the new guy. The weather brought out a respectable number of cars, it was a good day up on Main Street. It kinda went south when the Arm Drop Drags started. Get Rose back, delegate, that drag was pretty lame but it is a learning experience. Rose kept the races coming with little downtime before each race. Better Master of Ceremonies and better organization. Get some speakers on down main so those guys can hear what is going on and the music. Add some more activities to the M.O.M. Exhaust Competition and family oriented stuff like an arm chair theater/movies. Show old Car movies when it gets dark up on a building wall on main while the drags are going on. It takes time and a lot of trial and error, don't get discouraged and stick with it...I believe we got a good man and we need to give him a chance. Keep the theme of Muscle on Main mostly for the classic and Muscle Cars, the surrounding cities do. Customs, Rods, classics and Muscle Cars are the main attraction. The Arm Drop drags will pull the crowds if you get it more organized, delegate that out to the guys that run it last year or try to run it more like they did...it will be a big crowd draw.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 5 min Darktainium 25,408
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 10 min Darktainium 7,188
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 42 min Donald Drumpf 32,136
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 59 min LMS 148,325
Vanderbecks Kool Aid 2 hr Puppet ranting 23
Gays who raise chikdren 2 hr Wonderin 19
beach coming to Pikeville its true 4 hr tigger 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages