First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Searching

Winchester, KY

#1 Nov 21, 2013
What happened at UPike last night? I heard there was a fight in the cafeteria and this morning security was out in full force. I guess when you recruit thugs, thinks like this happen.
Wondering

Logan, WV

#2 Nov 21, 2013
Searching wrote:
What happened at UPike last night? I heard there was a fight in the cafeteria and this morning security was out in full force. I guess when you recruit thugs, thinks like this happen.
My child goes to school there. Is everything okay?
Sassy

Winchester, KY

#3 Nov 21, 2013
Why is this being held so secretive?
SSDD

Isom, KY

#4 Nov 21, 2013
Same reason as always, they don't want it to scare people away. It seems like UPike has put its sports program above student safety and education. The double standards for the athletes is sickening.
do tell

Winchester, KY

#5 Nov 21, 2013
by all means, share some facts and let us know what happened. I saw on facebook someone said something about not feeling safe at school.
Concern Parent

Scottsburg, IN

#6 Nov 21, 2013
My child attends UPIKE as an athlete; we are far across the state, I would like to know WHY the police aren't on scene, WHY the news stations are not allowed on campus, WHY they are on lockdown, but allowing the gang members to stay? Where have I sent my child? Why am I paying thousands of dollars for my child to be there when they cant protect the students......will be bringing my child closer to home! My child is obviously not safe with the hillbillies!
Hillbilly

Clay City, KY

#7 Nov 21, 2013
Concern Parent wrote:
My child attends UPIKE as an athlete; we are far across the state, I would like to know WHY the police aren't on scene, WHY the news stations are not allowed on campus, WHY they are on lockdown, but allowing the gang members to stay? Where have I sent my child? Why am I paying thousands of dollars for my child to be there when they cant protect the students......will be bringing my child closer to home! My child is obviously not safe with the hillbillies!
The "hillbillies" are not the problem!
Hill Bear

Delbarton, WV

#9 Nov 22, 2013
Concern Parent wrote:
My child attends UPIKE as an athlete; we are far across the state, I would like to know WHY the police aren't on scene, WHY the news stations are not allowed on campus, WHY they are on lockdown, but allowing the gang members to stay? Where have I sent my child? Why am I paying thousands of dollars for my child to be there when they cant protect the students......will be bringing my child closer to home! My child is obviously not safe with the hillbillies!
You have bad information. The college was not on lock down. The police were on the scene. News stations are on the campus all of the time. And as someone else pointed, the altercations did not involve the so-called hillbillies, but rather students from several hours across the state probably right were you are. This was not issue about protecting the students, generally, but rather a few students who who wanted to fight. You cannot let a few rotten apples ruin the entire barrel. Hopefully the matter has been resolved.
bear

United States

#10 Nov 22, 2013
It's gang members mainly from Louisville that are fighting other people. There were 5 fights on campus yesterday alone. Also several arrests were made last night because some guns were found in dorm rooms. You can bet upike will keep it out of the news.
Concerned Parent

Avoca, IN

#11 Nov 22, 2013
5 fights? This didn't prompt a campus lockdown esp after the guns were found? Still threats of violence on twitter from the gangs? Again I sent my child out there to be educated not scare half to death and has to be escorted to class on a campus with 5 buildings and less than 1500 students? Does Virginia Tech not mean anything to you? So we let a Gang from Louisville hold a small campus hostage, and no the school campus mall cops are not allowing the media on campus.
Public Deserves to Know

Logan, WV

#12 Nov 22, 2013
If there are gang problems at the school, the public deserves to have awareness. The students attending need to know immediately! Are our kids safe or not?
Concerned

Winchester, KY

#15 Nov 22, 2013
According to twitter and Facebook the gang has stated they were going to go home get their other gang members and come back and kill some people. It is scary that the school would let these kind of people in our school in the first place but the school is not doing any thing to stop it or prevent it.
wait

Pikeville, KY

#16 Nov 22, 2013
Where can u find this at on facebook? I have to read it myself to believe it.
Upike bear

Elkhorn City, KY

#17 Nov 22, 2013
Concerned Parent wrote:
5 fights? This didn't prompt a campus lockdown esp after the guns were found? Still threats of violence on twitter from the gangs? Again I sent my child out there to be educated not scare half to death and has to be escorted to class on a campus with 5 buildings and less than 1500 students? Does Virginia Tech not mean anything to you? So we let a Gang from Louisville hold a small campus hostage, and no the school campus mall cops are not allowing the media on campus.
I attend upike and beleive me when i say this there were NO guns found. the athetic department recuited students from louisville to play sports when several students came here the formed a clique and all the violence started with them. Upike is safe the instant a fight happens police are called and the situation is delt with immedialty.
I walk to class and hear people talking and i read on twitter completely false atatements. The students from louisville werent able to play their sport due to grades and they knew they wont be back so they start raising hell. To sum it up thugs on the sports team screwed up and a fight started and other fights resulted in retailiation. Upike is safe for those who remain unaffliated with the drama.
UPike Student

Richmond, KY

#18 Nov 22, 2013
"Upike bear" - How can you say everyone else who isn't involved in this drama is safe? Do you know that for a fact? UPike is NOT safe as long as long as they keep recruiting gang members, felons, and thugs to our school. They let ANYONE in. Why there is no "criteria" or requirements for admittance, or even background checks, is beyond me. They have no problem with allowing convicted felons attend our school? That's ridiculous. All they care about is sports, particularly football, and it is ruining the school. I don't feel safe, and I don't want to go there anymore as I'm sure most other students are feeling right now. I'm sure the security officers do all they can, but they are not the problem. These students repeatedly do stuff like this,(fights, weapons, etc.) and they are still allowed to attend school. I assure you this stuff does not happen the way it does here at other schools because if it does happen, the student is KICKED OUT. I have personally witnessed the nasty disrespect these thugs have for teachers, they never come to class, they fail all their tests, yet they are still there and still allowed to play sports. Hmmmm. It is really sickening and pathetic what I have witnessed in class in which the way these guys talk to teachers... Teachers who have physical deformities or otherwise and teachers who are the nicest teachers in the world and who would do anything to help their students. They just run all over them. It made me want to cry. They don't belong here, and they need to ALL be kicked out and sent back home where they can be thugs there. The dean and the school really need to quit worrying about the pathetic excuse for a football team and worry instead about the students who are actually there to LEARN and GET AN EDUCATION. I shouldn't have to worry about the fact that I can't carry a gun to school for my own protection while I'm worrying about my school work.
Hillbilly

Pikeville, KY

#23 Nov 22, 2013
Concern Parent wrote:
My child attends UPIKE as an athlete; we are far across the state, I would like to know WHY the police aren't on scene, WHY the news stations are not allowed on campus, WHY they are on lockdown, but allowing the gang members to stay? Where have I sent my child? Why am I paying thousands of dollars for my child to be there when they cant protect the students......will be bringing my child closer to home! My child is obviously not safe with the hillbillies!
It's not the "hillbillies" making the place unsafe. It's the "miscreants" they bring in here from other places. Get it straight!
Educated Athlete

Lynnville, TN

#25 Nov 22, 2013
FACTS!! Seek facts!!

Rumors and gossip serve no purpose but to spread fear and tarnish reputations. My fiancée attends UPike and I'm confident in her safety both from the University and the town.

Think UPike wants to keep this incident quiet?? Of course!! Most ppl don't care for gossip, now consider the dollars at stake bc ppl rush to judgement--see above comments-- and one might gain another perspective. How much time would be wasted in UPike addressing each and every rumor? Allow the administration to seek the FACTS and present them accordingly. If you question safety, administration, athletic favoritism, then please, seek your education elsewhere! Contribute to creating and building a successful culture of higher education while improving yourself OR attend elsewhere that you feel better suits.

To those who believe the school should have stricter admission standards, have you never gotten a second chance? In this region, providing OPPORTUNITIES for higher education is extremely difficult and UPike meets that need. UPike may indeed "let anyone in" but those individuals must meet certain criteria to STAY because at the end of the day, accreditation is at stake for the university.
fact

Richmond, KY

#28 Nov 22, 2013
Educated Athlete wrote:
FACTS!! Seek facts!!
Rumors and gossip serve no purpose but to spread fear and tarnish reputations. My fiancée attends UPike and I'm confident in her safety both from the University and the town.
Think UPike wants to keep this incident quiet?? Of course!! Most ppl don't care for gossip, now consider the dollars at stake bc ppl rush to judgement--see above comments-- and one might gain another perspective. How much time would be wasted in UPike addressing each and every rumor? Allow the administration to seek the FACTS and present them accordingly. If you question safety, administration, athletic favoritism, then please, seek your education elsewhere! Contribute to creating and building a successful culture of higher education while improving yourself OR attend elsewhere that you feel better suits.
To those who believe the school should have stricter admission standards, have you never gotten a second chance? In this region, providing OPPORTUNITIES for higher education is extremely difficult and UPike meets that need. UPike may indeed "let anyone in" but those individuals must meet certain criteria to STAY because at the end of the day, accreditation is at stake for the university.
Sorry you have never been into the "real world". There is more to life than attending college. The second chance and opportunities is the crap you expect out of a liberal institution that PC is becoming. The liberal minded righteous bleeding heart ""second chance" you speak of is wasted. Far too many eastern KY, WVA, and Southwest VA students grow up poor and have a difficult time attending college for various reasons. Yet we spend millions on felons from GA, SC, etc knowing most never finish up and complete school and benefit nothing to KY or anywhere for that matter. This comes as a shock I know your professor told you that everyone in the world is good and their is no evil people. How about you get out in the real world and away from PC.
fact

Richmond, KY

#29 Nov 22, 2013
Educated Athlete wrote:
FACTS!! Seek facts!!
Rumors and gossip serve no purpose but to spread fear and tarnish reputations. My fiancée attends UPike and I'm confident in her safety both from the University and the town.
Think UPike wants to keep this incident quiet?? Of course!! Most ppl don't care for gossip, now consider the dollars at stake bc ppl rush to judgement--see above comments-- and one might gain another perspective. How much time would be wasted in UPike addressing each and every rumor? Allow the administration to seek the FACTS and present them accordingly. If you question safety, administration, athletic favoritism, then please, seek your education elsewhere! Contribute to creating and building a successful culture of higher education while improving yourself OR attend elsewhere that you feel better suits.
To those who believe the school should have stricter admission standards, have you never gotten a second chance? In this region, providing OPPORTUNITIES for higher education is extremely difficult and UPike meets that need. UPike may indeed "let anyone in" but those individuals must meet certain criteria to STAY because at the end of the day, accreditation is at stake for the university.
Dudley Hilton is the reason for most of this. he signs off on who comes here and recommends scholarships. So people who are 25 26 years old and "returning seniors" (which PC has more than its share) are coming for the education? I love the brainwashing that goes on by PHDs at college. Does your coach talk about second chances and stupid sh it like how sports prepare you for life?
UPike Student

United States

#32 Nov 22, 2013
Educated Athlete wrote:
FACTS!! Seek facts!!
Rumors and gossip serve no purpose but to spread fear and tarnish reputations. My fiancée attends UPike and I'm confident in her safety both from the University and the town.
Think UPike wants to keep this incident quiet?? Of course!! Most ppl don't care for gossip, now consider the dollars at stake bc ppl rush to judgement--see above comments-- and one might gain another perspective. How much time would be wasted in UPike addressing each and every rumor? Allow the administration to seek the FACTS and present them accordingly. If you question safety, administration, athletic favoritism, then please, seek your education elsewhere! Contribute to creating and building a successful culture of higher education while improving yourself OR attend elsewhere that you feel better suits.
To those who believe the school should have stricter admission standards, have you never gotten a second chance? In this region, providing OPPORTUNITIES for higher education is extremely difficult and UPike meets that need. UPike may indeed "let anyone in" but those individuals must meet certain criteria to STAY because at the end of the day, accreditation is at stake for the university.
Rumors and gossip? Where do you get that? As my nickname states, I'm a student at UPike, and what I have said is my personal experience of the sports thugs going to school there... Anyone there could tell you the same thing I said. All I've said is they are violent and very disrespectful, which is the TRUTH.
First of all, UPike used to be a perfectly good school until they started letting all these douche bag football players in. Secondly, why should I have to transfer schools because of said football players? So, I (who is there to actually get an education) should switch schools because UPike doesn't give a shit that thugs are walking around (who are just there to play football, fight, and likely NOT graduate)? Don't think so.
And you shouldn't be so sure of the safety of the school when these guys are keeping guns in their dorms and walking around with them (FACT: read a newspaper or ask the UPike police). By all means, don't take my word for it; this is Topix, but I have stated no rumors... Just my personal experience as a student and facts about the school.
I completely understand what you're saying about opportunities and second chances, but you think it is okay for the school to be giving a second chance to someone who has committed an armed robbery in his home state, served time, and had been out of school for 3 years ALL before coming here? I think he had already had all of his chances, and that is not the type of person a school needs to be giving a second chance to. You must not have realized that UPike LITERALLY recruits prisoners. Any normal person should have a problem with this because as of RIGHT NOW, this school is not safe, and it is not fair to all of the people who are there for the right reasons. I mean, come on... this is college, not high school. They need to be kicked out or better yet, not admitted in the first place, especially if they are felons! All of the normal people who are there to get an education shouldn't suffer or have to even consider switching schools just because the school is too worried about sports and doesn't have a problem with armed thugs walking around. I really don't see how anyone wouldn't agree with that... Unless, of course, you are a sports player. Hm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 36 min leftwing media 23,258
Shawna pmc. 2 hr Spectator 82
Whatsa matter with Tolbey Ratliff in ICU.? 3 hr enterprised 25
W. Keith Hall News 4 hr Man of Mayhem 71
stephanie 4 hr need help 1
Pikeville Should Be KY State Capital 5 hr WishfulThinking 24
Miss me baby? 5 hr Maybe 18
Amy News 8 hr enterprised 73
Airport Resignations 18 hr Political Foolish... 31
Pike County Schools Mon Hummmm 32

Flood Watch for Pike County was issued at March 04 at 3:50AM EST

Pikeville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:41 am PST

ESPN10:41AM
Panthers bring back DT Cole, 34, for 1 year
ESPN 2:48 PM
Source: Panthers' Hardy to meet with NFL
Bleacher Report 3:03 PM
Cam Newton Reportedly on Stage at Charlotte Nightclub Moments Before Shooting
Yahoo! Sports 4:06 PM
Panthers DE Hardy to meet with NFL
NBC Sports 8:28 PM
Reports: Ted Ginn visiting Titans, 49ers