Meeting held to discuss access road at Fishtrap Lake

Mar 8, 2011 Full story: Williamson Daily News Online 10

Photo by Bobby Branham Pike County Judge-Executive Wayne T. Rutherford, District 3 Magistrate Leo Murphy, Jack Sykes and Jodi Hunt of Summit Engineering, assistant county attorney Roland Case, Sheliah "Sam" Harlan and Sharon Mers from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Upper Pompey resident Jonah Thacker look at a map showing possible ways to ...

Full Story
robert

London, KY

#1 Mar 8, 2011
i'm glad to hear this... finally!
bob

Stanton, KY

#3 Mar 9, 2011
long over due
Metoday

Virgie, KY

#4 Mar 9, 2011
They need to put a road over into the Phyllis, Grapevine area. Those people are completely isolated!!! This used to be us 460....until the lake went in.
bout time

Elkhorn City, KY

#5 Mar 9, 2011
Been left abandoned for over 40 years! Last time it was politics, this time it's for real! I know that this was promised by someone during a Judge Exec race but the guy did not get the job.

There is a real need here, hell follow the coal seam and let the coal pay for it! The people left there from 68 on have waited a generation for this. I hope they don't get let down again!
RED GREEN

Pikeville, KY

#7 Mar 10, 2011
This road should have been built when the dam was built.
Bill Deal

Winchester, KY

#8 Mar 10, 2011
Bill would have put that in for them for the coal! Big 300 foot ledge around the dam following the coal seam, no permits or regulations. Shucks the coal would have paid for the road! That is nothing but a strip mining operation up there anyway.

Windmill won't be able to find the coal seam, the tax payer's will have to foot the bill...lol
raised there

Virgie, KY

#9 Mar 10, 2011
Metoday wrote:
They need to put a road over into the Phyllis, Grapevine area. Those people are completely isolated!!! This used to be us 460....until the lake went in.
I totally AGREE!!!
It takes twice as long for the Grapevine, Phyllis, people to get to Pikeville, as it does the people from Upper Pompey. The Fishtrap Lake destroyed the value of property in the area....and YES ...we were promised a road around the lake also.....but now it looks like we are totally FORGOTTEN!! My daddy always talked about how isolated we were and said "A person could die on the way to the hospital." Guess what....HE DID
The people in this area need to get together and take it up with Magistrate LEO MURPHY....after all ...he was from the area. Also..get in touch with our county judge Wayne T. AND Hal Rodgers. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!
Jenny Wiley

Winchester, KY

#10 Mar 10, 2011
raised there wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally AGREE!!!
It takes twice as long for the Grapevine, Phyllis, people to get to Pikeville, as it does the people from Upper Pompey. The Fishtrap Lake destroyed the value of property in the area....and YES ...we were promised a road around the lake also.....but now it looks like we are totally FORGOTTEN!! My daddy always talked about how isolated we were and said "A person could die on the way to the hospital." Guess what....HE DID
The people in this area need to get together and take it up with Magistrate LEO MURPHY....after all ...he was from the area. Also..get in touch with our county judge Wayne T. AND Hal Rodgers. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!
The dam should have a road all around that side of the lake, Jenny Wiley and other dams have a drive around them. This thing was supposed to be turned over to the state, all we got was fish & game. All the promises Patton made when they did the state park designation never materialized. It would make to lake more accessable to tourist if they had a road close to the water on one side and a road up above flood stage for the people up Upper Pompey and Jonican, Hurricane.
Following the coal seam and letting the coal pay for some of the cost is not a bad idea if the coal seam is not below flood stage. It needs to be a year round road not subject to closing by high water. This needs to be brought up at the meeting.
No one was interested in 1968 in the road when coal was 6 dollars a ton. The road should be at a level that allows all year usage!
Thrash Rafts

Danville, KY

#11 Mar 11, 2011
They don't need no road, all you gotta do is just build you a raft outa all that trash and float out.

You can walk out on the trash if you have a mind to!
thought

United States

#12 Mar 11, 2011
why not build a bridge over the lake, take the curve out near the end of the camp ground, after all, you can see the other side where upper Pompey is, just a straight shot to build beside the lake, then a bridge. construction can begin in winter, when the lake is down and dry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ANE pushes Sunday liquor yet again! 10 min Pikecoprick 39
Zack & Tucker Stevens 13 min Amy 3
Word Association (Aug '11) 15 min MUSICK-NESS 5,572
Horses Die 15 min Bud man 15
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 17 min MUSICK-NESS 22,296
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 18 min The Apostle 20,499
Today In ANE 20 min Mountains 3
10 percent equals 90 percent of crime. - blacks 25 min Rusty Is A Whigger 24
Little Police Chief Antics 27 min too young 14
Sheriff Charles Fuzzy Keesee 11 hr Heart broken father 62