ivory billed woodpecker

Posted in the Piggott Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#1 Jan 27, 2013
In 2004 I read a story about researchers from Cornell University converging on the state of Arkansas. Their purpose was to research and rediscover the thought to be extinct lord god bird, aka' the ivoy billed woodpecker. I became obsessed with this story and have been doing my own research right here in our area. After doing my research. I learned about the birds prefered habitat. The lord god bird lives in swamp areas and river bottoms where hardwood forests existed. Well, this lead me to the St Francis river around Chalk bluff. After countless hours of audio study. I was walking through the chalk bluff area and heard What I thought to be that of an ivory billed woodpecker, afterwards I heard What sounded like double knocks on a tree. This is signature of the ivory bill. I have also discovered huge holes bored out in a few trees I stumbled upon, these holes were about 6/7 inches in diameter, another signature of the ivory billed woodpecker. I have come to the conclusion that the lord god bird is living in the clay county area, and our forests need to be protected. I haven't told anyone of my discovery, out of the respect and safety of this endangered and elusive bird. If anyone in piggott has any knowledge of the lord god bird, please list an adress or email so I can get more information , or you can just post on here. I would like to remain anonymous, thanks.
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#2 Jan 27, 2013
The ivory billed woodpecker looks similar to the commonly known pileated woodpecker, except the ivory bill has two white strips on its back and the wings have white at the bottom. it also has a yellowish or pale beak. Both species have the scarlet crown, the females have a black crown. The pileated woodpecker doesn't have the white stripes. People often get the two mixed up because they look almost identical.
cyberthrush

Smithfield, NC

#3 Jan 27, 2013
There is VERY little chance of Ivory-bills residing in the Clay County area (if anything the southeast corner or south edge of MO. might hold some slim possibility). At any rate, you would need to get a photo of the birds before anyone is likely to take your belief seriously, as unfounded claims are just too common.
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#4 Jan 27, 2013
cyberthrush wrote:
There is VERY little chance of Ivory-bills residing in the Clay County area (if anything the southeast corner or south edge of MO. might hold some slim possibility). At any rate, you would need to get a photo of the birds before anyone is likely to take your belief seriously, as unfounded claims are just too common.
thats the problem. These birds are elusive and very shy. Even when the ivory bill was common back in the early 19th century, it was elusive then and rarely did anyone come in contact with the bird. I have studied audio of the pileated and the ivory bill, both make a different sound. The sound I heardwas no doubt that of an ivory billed woodpecker. If the bird is living in southeast Mo, then why wouldn't it be here as Well?
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#5 Jan 27, 2013
Audio recordings of the ivory bill was taken in 1935 in the singer tract area in Louisiana...in 2005,researchers from Cornell recorded audio of What was believed to be the ivory billed woodpecker. They compared audio to the 1935 recording and came to the conclusion that the audio they had recorded was indeed that of an ivory billed woodpecker. I have studied both recording, and no doubt in my mind What I heard was the kent call of the ivory billed woodpecker. I have no doubts that the bird is in our area. The St Francis river area is the ideal habitat to support life for the ivory bill. I have no doubts the lord god is here in clay county and other surrounding areas
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#6 Jan 27, 2013
If anyone is unfamilar with the lord god bird, aka, ivory billed woodpecker. You can find plenty of video on youtube.
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#7 Jan 27, 2013
If anyone ever finds a carcass of a woodpecker with two white stripes down its back, collect the carcass and call the Arkansas game and fish commision right away
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#8 Jan 27, 2013
These birds are in our area and the citizens of clay county need to acknowledge this and raise awareness. I don't urge people to take to the woods or anything, but be on the lookout for this bird. You can find enough video to educate yourself about these birds. They are here in our forests and we need to protect our forests...and another thing, do not disturb any holes you find in any trees.
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#9 Jan 27, 2013
I will find this bird and prove it is living here along the St Francis river and other surrounding areas. I've heard them, I've found huge holes in trees that were made only by an ivory billed woodpecker. I'm telling you they are here and we need to preserve their habitat and save this bird
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#10 Jan 28, 2013
Here is a website that you can checkout for info on the ivory billed woodpecker.
www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/...these birds are here in our forests people. We need to fight to save them and their habitat.
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#11 Jan 28, 2013
BUDDY WHITTAKER VICTORIA

Kenbridge, VA

#12 Jan 28, 2013
lord god bird fanatic wrote:
I will find this bird and prove it is living here along the St Francis river and other surrounding areas. I've heard them, I've found huge holes in trees that were made only by an ivory billed woodpecker. I'm telling you they are here and we need to preserve their habitat and save this bird
I believe the Ivory Bills still live and I hope you get a picutre or videio to prove it and we save the bird somehow. Best wishes for finding many IBWO.
BUDDY WHITTAKER VICTORIA

Kenbridge, VA

#13 Jan 28, 2013
I believe you and I believe there are Ivory Bills still alive. I hope you find many many of theses birds and get a picture or video and mankind does all we can to help them make a hugh comeback.

Buddy Whittaker
Victoria VA
[email protected]
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#14 Jan 28, 2013
BUDDY WHITTAKER VICTORIA wrote:
I believe you and I believe there are Ivory Bills still alive. I hope you find many many of theses birds and get a picture or video and mankind does all we can to help them make a hugh comeback.
Buddy Whittaker
Victoria VA
[email protected]
thanks for responding, and thanks for the encouragement. I truely belive these birds still exist and they're here in our area. I have been studying acoustic sounds of the ivory bill for a few years now. I have come to realize that I have heard these exact sounds here in the Piggott and St Francis area on numerous occasions. I'm not a scientist or a bird professional, but the sounds I heard are strikingly similar to that of an ivory billed woodpecker. I have also discovered hole in trees in the chalk bluff area that are consistant of the ivory bill. In my opinion, the chalk bluff area is the ideal habitat to support life for the ivory bill. I don't know for a fact that the birds are here, but it's worth researching. And even if the birds aren't here it's worth preserving the area to ensure that the ivory bill survives.
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#15 Jan 28, 2013
You can study audio of actual ivory bill recordings taken from the singer tract area in 1935, then compare them to the recordings captured in Arkansas in 2005. I posted a link where you can study audio and video captured by professer David Luneau in 2004.
www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/
Woodpecker Fan

United States

#16 Jan 28, 2013
I have been watching for years, and recently spotted Woody Woodpecker cartoons on youtube..

lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#17 Jan 28, 2013
Woodpecker Fan wrote:
I have been watching for years, and recently spotted Woody Woodpecker cartoons on youtube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =oeldv48RGv8XX
haha...your're a comiedian, huh? Well I'm not going to waste my time responding to idiotic posts. I posted this for people who are serious about trying to find and save this bird. BTW, woody woodpecker is based on the pileated woodpecker. I bet you didn't know that?

Rowlett, TX

#18 Jan 28, 2013
I can appreciate your enthusiasm for woodpeckers but I'm afraid this won't be the best place to drum up support for conservation and education. Most people that frequent this forum are interested in drama, rumors, and other general smut. Good luck though.
lord god bird fanatic

Malden, MO

#19 Jan 29, 2013
If anyone lives in greenway, pollard, mcdougal, corning, st francis, or piggott. be on the lookout for the ivory billed woodpecker. Please take the time to look at the website I posted above and learn about What the bird looks like and the sounds they make, you may have heard it before and not realize it. Professional bird watchers will tell you that 80% of birdwatching is listening.
Woodpecker Fan

United States

#20 Jan 29, 2013
lord god bird fanatic wrote:
<quoted text>haha...your're a comiedian, huh? Well I'm not going to waste my time responding to idiotic posts. I posted this for people who are serious about trying to find and save this bird. BTW, woody woodpecker is based on the pileated woodpecker. I bet you didn't know that?
I know enough about woodpeckers to know that the Ivory Billed woodpecker is extinct. but if I run across one, I'll post it on Topix scientific journal first!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Piggott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 10 min BARNEYII 39,391
Taco bell 3 hr guest 8
Piggott school 6 hr So so so 1
Electric Bills (Nov '11) 9 hr Dad 80
Jobs hiring in piggott?? 15 hr Jennifer 2
McDonald's so called managers (Jan '17) Wed Dad 6
city council please do something to bring back ... Sep 18 Michael Scofield 8

Piggott Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance