Windsor getting unionized

Windsor getting unionized

Posted in the Piedmont Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Worker

United States

#1 Feb 16, 2012
Hope it happens. They think a 30 cent raise is going to keep the union out but the union is working hard to get folks on board to get fair treatment for the workers in this craphole. You watch people. Management is going to tell you all kinds of lies to try to keep you from voting union. Things like how they will have to shut down and crap like that. It won't happen. The truth is that this is probably one of their most profitable plants because they get by with paying so little. The Windsor plant in CA is union, did you know that? They keep right on running. Vote union for reasonable working conditions in Piedmont.

“I don't like spam!”

Since: Dec 11

USA

#2 Feb 16, 2012
you go norma rae...keep fighting get your fair wage!!!!!
what

Conway, AR

#3 Feb 16, 2012
sorry , but if it goes Union, goodbye to the largest Piedmont employer. i don't work there or know anyone who does. but standing in line making onion rings isn't a $20 an hour job.
Part timer

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Feb 16, 2012
what wrote:
sorry , but if it goes Union, goodbye to the largest Piedmont employer. i don't work there or know anyone who does. but standing in line making onion rings isn't a $20 an hour job.
Ask Ex-Asarco workers how that worked out for them? I asked a guy I knew that works for Doe Run who owns that now about if that might re-open, he checked with higher ups who told him, Ya :) Sure :) when pigs fly over frozen hell.
John

Warrensburg, MO

#5 Feb 16, 2012
Unions keep the employer honest, keeps them from sexual harassing women, makes it fair to all, unions are a great thing, anyone that works with a union is always better off.
Wow

Conway, AR

#6 Feb 16, 2012
In a large area I would say maybe you could get by with the union. But in this small of an area no way. If the Union comes in expect a good 2 year run tops before the company pulls up and moves. I am sure all the people who worked at Brown Shoe loved the union they had to.
Just Saying

Vilonia, AR

#7 Feb 16, 2012
They would like for everyone to work for Chinese wages.
Worker

United States

#8 Feb 16, 2012
All people want are fair practices. A reasonable wage, reasonable work conditions and management required to consider different people for available positions other than those who have their noses up their butts. When office people (who do their own drugs) decide who gets drug tested and when and warns people way in advance if it's their buddies, something is wrong. If that's too much to ask, the craphole does need to be shut down.
Piedmont Person

Poplar Bluff, MO

#9 Feb 16, 2012
Unions work for some places. Piedmont is not one of them. Two plants have been shutdown and the wages of California are significantly higher than here because the cost of living is incredibly different. The Union is trying to manipulate people into believing that it will benefit them when the Onion Ring factory is one of the best places to work in Piedmont. The wages are competitive and the benefits are great.

http://www.iwu.edu/economics/PPE07/korey.pdf

What do you think people will do when they're unable to work because of a strike? Go without a paycheck? Hope so, because that's exactly what is going to happen. Unions have some benefits, but in a small town and in this day and age the consequences could cost the largest employer in Piedmont to go under and move somewhere else that doesn't have a Union.
Worker

United States

#10 Feb 17, 2012
Evidently you don't work there, you do work there and have your nose in Pam's butt or don't know what a good place to work is. Who said California wages were expected? No one. The factory MIGHT be one of the best places to work if the management wasn't crooked. If the corporation won't keep them straight maybe a union would.
Part timer

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Feb 17, 2012
Worker wrote:
Evidently you don't work there, you do work there and have your nose in Pam's butt or don't know what a good place to work is. Who said California wages were expected? No one. The factory MIGHT be one of the best places to work if the management wasn't crooked. If the corporation won't keep them straight maybe a union would.
That is wishful thinking, go ahead and form the union, and you will soon find that your union will be the one taking advantage of you in addition to your company. What you will find is if you even get a raise you will give more than what you get to the union in dues, they will most likely not stand up for you, and then to top it off if you are a real go getter you will find you are paid exactly the same as the guy next to you who does nothing all day. Pretty soon you and any other hard workers will get frustrated enough that you say to yourself “Why should I work so hard? That guy doesn’t and we get paid exactly the same” and so goes the who workforce until the place can’t make any money and you are either replaced by a machine, or the work is sent overseas.
Republican

United States

#12 Feb 17, 2012
Part timer wrote:
<quoted text>That is wishful thinking, go ahead and form the union, and you will soon find that your union will be the one taking advantage of you in addition to your company. What you will find is if you even get a raise you will give more than what you get to the union in dues, they will most likely not stand up for you, and then to top it off if you are a real go getter you will find you are paid exactly the same as the guy next to you who does nothing all day. Pretty soon you and any other hard workers will get frustrated enough that you say to yourself “Why should I work so hard? That guy doesn’t and we get paid exactly the same” and so goes the who workforce until the place can’t make any money and you are either replaced by a machine, or the work is sent overseas.
Yeah, screw unions. I enjoy low wages, no retirement, bad working conditions, and terrible insurance.
Haha

United States

#13 Feb 17, 2012
The union is a joke. I work on a union jobsite and its ridiculous. You wanna pay someone to have a job? You wanna have one specific task and nothing else? You wanna never be guaranteed to work for one company?? By all means sign up for the union...what a joke
Worker

United States

#14 Feb 17, 2012
Then you don't work at Windsor so you don't know what it's like there. Not all unions suck and it can't be much worse. Management is a bunch of liars and backstabbers anyway.
Wow

Greenbrier, AR

#15 Feb 18, 2012
You all are missing the point. Its not how good or how bad the union is. It is the decisions the company will make after the union comes in. If the company is forced to spend more on improvement and pay more in wages they will pull out of Piedmont. There is no promises made by the company they will stay. In fact it is my understanding that the implication was made by the president of the company that in fact they have not continued the work force at the other 2 factories that made the decision to go union. Spend less time complaining about your jobs and be thankful that in this economy you have one.
little one

Sheridan, AR

#16 Feb 18, 2012
there r not enough ppl in the union for windsor to worry about.. i know i have been to a few meetings (i'm not interested in union)just went there to find out whats goin on
think about it

Ellington, MO

#17 Feb 19, 2012
Worker wrote:
Hope it happens. They think a 30 cent raise is going to keep the union out but the union is working hard to get folks on board to get fair treatment for the workers in this craphole. You watch people. Management is going to tell you all kinds of lies to try to keep you from voting union. Things like how they will have to shut down and crap like that. It won't happen. The truth is that this is probably one of their most profitable plants because they get by with paying so little. The Windsor plant in CA is union, did you know that? They keep right on running. Vote union for reasonable working conditions in Piedmont.
If Windsor unionizes say goodbye to the jobs there. They will no longer hire locals and will most likely close the plant.

You cannot compare Missouri to California.
Worker

United States

#18 Feb 19, 2012
If forcing Windsor to provide fair and ethical work conditions causes it to close, good riddance. The fact that they gave a token raise shows they CAN pay a little more and they could have been doing so for a long time. Management's scare tactics show they are worried that they might HAVE to become ethical as well. Wouldn't that be just terrible?
Wow

Greenbrier, AR

#19 Feb 19, 2012
Worker wrote:
If forcing Windsor to provide fair and ethical work conditions causes it to close, good riddance. The fact that they gave a token raise shows they CAN pay a little more and they could have been doing so for a long time. Management's scare tactics show they are worried that they might HAVE to become ethical as well. Wouldn't that be just terrible?
You are so right. Having no jobs will be so much better. I am sure the utility company's will understand you cant pay your bills because you are making a stand and ran one of the only large employers out of the are.
Worker

United States

#20 Feb 19, 2012
I guess dead end jobs with no way up or out is always best for cattle like you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Piedmont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How do YOU Unregister to Vote (Mar '13) 23 hr Kindn3ss 85
8 Reasons Why AT&T Sucks Beyond All Belief (Sep '13) Wed OK then 56
Pine Hill Drive In Closed Wed just saying 2
Glad to see several people running for Wayne co... May 3 Sharon 1
chelsey smith married?? (Nov '14) May 2 Blah 3
Ignorant people of millsprings? (Nov '09) Apr 27 just saying 31
nemah sheets (Sep '15) Apr 26 Could it be 25
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Piedmont Mortgages