school policy?
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
momof3

Quitman, AR

#1 Mar 17, 2009
My daughter came home from elementary school today upset because she was scolded for wearing capris (that I picked out for her to wear!). I understood the new policy to be "no shorts before April"...her capris were 2-3 inches below her knees. How is that violation of policy? She was also told she couldn't wear skirts or dresses before April, either. I approve all of her outfits before she wears them to school and we are a fairly stict household, so if they aren't obscenely short why is she not allowed to wear them? The weather has been warm enough this week, in my opinion, to warrant skirts/capris. I think they either need to go entirely to uniforms or let these issues be at the parents' discretion! I'm beginning to be very annoyed with this principal and all of his new policies. I wish we had Ms. Haight(sp?) back...aside from having to sit through the projection lectures she was great and we never had a single problem with the school. These days it seems to be one thing after another. And don't get me started on trying to "talk" to Brown...he'll bs you and say whatever he needs to so you'll shut up and go away, but he has yet to ever actually fix anything I've asked about.
Mother of 2

Greenbrier, AR

#2 Mar 17, 2009
Well I was a little upset the first year he was principal due to the fact that he made the teachers take down most of their christmas decorations. He said they might offend some people. He also makes the little kids push a broom brush through the hallways if they have been misbehaving. No its not a broom with a HANDLE, just the brush part of it, so the children are all bent over. I think there are other ways of punishing a child.
momof3

Quitman, AR

#3 Mar 17, 2009
I completely agree about the broom! That was one of the policies I was referring to! We signed the form to keep any of our children from doing that and I swear if one of mine ever have to this school will see a lawsuit! My kids haven't ever been in trouble for anything more than talking in class, but if they ever are I'd rather be called and consulted on how to deal with it rather than them being treated like it's a military school. My biggest complaint is that he does nothing about major issues, even goes so far as to try and sweep them under the rug and not even notify parents of children involved, but makes a big deal of minor things. And while I think the principal's surprise incentive for attendance is a great idea, it should be if they miss more than 2 UNEXCUSED days...it kills me when my youngest is sick, running a fever, and crying to go to school because she won't get to go on it if she misses another day!(She had the flu and was home for 3 days per Dr.'s orders) It stinks when they feel like they're being punished for being sick....she hadn't missed any other days.
Mother of 2

Greenbrier, AR

#4 Mar 18, 2009
I totally agree. I mean im not one of those mothers that is against discipline. The students should respect their teachers. If they need to be swated then go ahead and do it. But dont make them push a broom around and embarrass them in front of other kids. I dont know...maybe someone should write a letter to the editor.
Who

Sherwood, AR

#5 Mar 18, 2009
Who does this guy think he is? He better back off or it won't just be him with a lawsuit!! I had no idea about the pushing a broom around! That really ticks me off!!! Let me hear my child tell me that she has been pushing a broom around as punishment! Seems to me this school needs to be focused on education not teaching children how to be janitors! Whatever happened to doing your homework at recess?! This is not the military!
one bad apple

United States

#6 Mar 18, 2009
momof3 wrote:
My daughter came home from elementary school today upset because she was scolded for wearing capris (that I picked out for her to wear!). I understood the new policy to be "no shorts before April"...her capris were 2-3 inches below her knees. How is that violation of policy? She was also told she couldn't wear skirts or dresses before April, either. I approve all of her outfits before she wears them to school and we are a fairly stict household, so if they aren't obscenely short why is she not allowed to wear them? The weather has been warm enough this week, in my opinion, to warrant skirts/capris. I think they either need to go entirely to uniforms or let these issues be at the parents' discretion! I'm beginning to be very annoyed with this principal and all of his new policies. I wish we had Ms. Haight(sp?) back...aside from having to sit through the projection lectures she was great and we never had a single problem with the school. These days it seems to be one thing after another. And don't get me started on trying to "talk" to Brown...he'll bs you and say whatever he needs to so you'll shut up and go away, but he has yet to ever actually fix anything I've asked about.
Well,SOME parents don't care what there children wear to school and just don't care enough to check the weather forecast before sending them out the door without heavy coats or appropriate clothing. This is why they have had to revise the dress policy. I do applaud you and all the parents that still take being a parent seriously.
JRH

Greenbrier, AR

#7 Mar 18, 2009
Who
Its not the broom their pushing around. Its the broom brush...at the bottom. The little kids are all bent over pushing this giant brush around in the hallways of the school.
ladybug

Bolivar, MO

#8 Mar 19, 2009
what gives him the right to have the kids push a broom brush around the halls. that is terrible. i don't think that is a proper punishment. what is so wrong with capris on a child. sounds like this principle has issues.i buy my children clothes and if i send them to school clean and in proper attire, i don't think he has a right to say anything to them. we would probably be really shock if we knew everthing that goes on there, but they keep the parents in the dark on a lot of things.
just me

Vilonia, AR

#9 Mar 19, 2009
wow yeah im afraid i would throw a fit if i ever hear of them tryin to punish my cild by makeing them sweep or any other time of punishment, that i dont know about before it happens! they should have to have permission, and as far as skirts go i know familys that its against their beliefs for their children to wear anything but skirts. fine someparents dont pay attention but im sure the teachers can manage to pick out whats serious and whats not a child wearing capris right now means their parent was paying attention, its very nice out, shorts, no coat in december is a different story, and even then its not our kids they should be talking to the kids dont understand if their parents arent paying attention at home why would you scold the child for it? these are our kids we can do something about it! and there are still cild labor laws!
just me

Vilonia, AR

#10 Mar 19, 2009
child
momof3

Buffalo, TX

#11 Mar 19, 2009
I know of an incident where an elementary student held a pocket knife to another elementary student's neck on the bus, and the principal didn't even call the parents of the victim to let them know what happened! The parent was told by the child and had to contact the school to find out everything!
momof3

Buffalo, TX

#12 Mar 19, 2009
And as far as pushing the broom goes, it isn't actually sweeping...Mr. Brown calls it "pushing the board." It's a big shop broom with the handle removed that the children are required to bend over at the waist and put both hands on, and then push, bent over, up and down the hallway. It has nothing to do with sweeping, or anything constructive...the only purpose this serves is to put the child in an uncomfortable, humiliating position as it is done where other children can see them. At the beginning of the school year, each child is given a form for parents to sign if you do not want your child to have to do this. I think the form was in the back of the handbook this year, so if you didn't look through the handbook, you may have missed it.
Tell the Board

Huntington, TX

#13 Mar 19, 2009
If enough parents would go to the school board and tell them that pushing the broom is an unacceptable method of punishment, something would be done unless the principal has the Board in his back pocket. One thing board members do NOT want is to offend too many parents because to be REELECTED is their Number l Priority.
Parents have real power if they'd just exercise it.
Jess

Cleburne, TX

#14 Mar 19, 2009
I know one of the board members. She has told me how to go about a few other things with other programs through the school. I'll ask her how to take the proper measures, and i'll post back =)
another mom

United States

#15 Mar 19, 2009
momof3 wrote:
I know of an incident where an elementary student held a pocket knife to another elementary student's neck on the bus, and the principal didn't even call the parents of the victim to let them know what happened! The parent was told by the child and had to contact the school to find out everything!
You HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! Why was that so hushed anyways?
momof3

Buffalo, TX

#16 Mar 19, 2009
another mom wrote:
<quoted text>
You HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! Why was that so hushed anyways?
I have no idea what Mr. Brown was thinking. The offending child was suspended for 3 days, but still allowed to ride the bus upon her return. When the parents of the victim questioned school about the incident he just said it had been handled. I don't know about anyone else, but if one of my children has a knife held to them when they are under the school's supervision I think school should have a responsibilty to notify me IMMEDIATELY! The parents of the victim were understandably upset and brought up the fact that their child could have been KILLED if the bus had hit a bump or any number of horrible possible outcomes...Mr. Brown brushed these concerns off by saying that none of those things did happen, so basically oh well.
another mom

United States

#17 Mar 19, 2009
This is the parent that should be at the Board meeting. I don't think Mr. B has them in his pocket either. I don't let my kids ride the bus because they are young and I don't trust the driver to make sure they are ok. I would be FUMING if I were this child's parents! Wasn't the girl that did that only in 2nd grade?
ladybug

Bolivar, MO

#18 Mar 20, 2009
i don't think keel will do nothing at the school board.he has never backed a parent as far as i know. they preach and preach about parents being involved in the school and with the teachers but they want to keep everything hush hush and us in the dark. i don't want my child pushing no broom with or without the handle without me being informed ahead of time because i wouldn't give my approval. i don;t think we know what goes on at the school except for what we hear from each other and i don't know what we can do to stop it because i don't have any trust that the board will help us.
Tell the Board

Vilonia, AR

#19 Mar 20, 2009
momof3 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what Mr. Brown was thinking. The offending child was suspended for 3 days, but still allowed to ride the bus upon her return. When the parents of the victim questioned school about the incident he just said it had been handled. I don't know about anyone else, but if one of my children has a knife held to them when they are under the school's supervision I think school should have a responsibilty to notify me IMMEDIATELY! The parents of the victim were understandably upset and brought up the fact that their child could have been KILLED if the bus had hit a bump or any number of horrible possible outcomes...Mr. Brown brushed these concerns off by saying that none of those things did happen, so basically oh well.
The Safe Schools Act should be enforced! It has been in effect for several years. When parents enroll their child in school, they sign a document agreeing to abide by the provisions of the Safe Schools Act. The act is very clear about violence. The incident on the bus involving the knife is a no-brainer. It should have been handled far differently than it was. One more instance of there being a law that is not enforced. These spineless administrators are going to get in huge trouble someday when something really bad happens as a result of their inaction. You can't run and hide. You have to shoulder responsibility, especially when you are PAID to do so!!!
concerned mother

United States

#20 Mar 20, 2009
my son is in kindergarden and his teacher at Clearwater announced to the whole class that there was no such thing as the tooth fairy and Santa Clause!!! I feel that my sons beliefs are not Clearwater's staffs concern!!!!!!!!!! I am very upset that this teacher rouined christmas for my 5 year old this year!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Piedmont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
them again???? 10 hr Peole are stupid 3
Small town drama 19 hr Karma 1
ATV Repairs 23 hr Bewilderd 1
Direct TV are thieves!!! Jun 27 concerned1978 8
who OD in piedmont'anyone know ? Jun 24 just saying 4
Favorite teacher (Mar '08) Jun 23 Jason Lewis 15
Computer Virus? (Nov '09) Jun 23 Duh 16
More from around the web

Piedmont People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Piedmont Mortgages