Olin

Brooklyn, NY

#5080 Jan 18, 2013
Hi, I have been working as an OPI for several months now, however the company I work for does not have many medical clients (government agencies mostly). Now that I am trying to start signing in with more companies, I realize that most of the calls will be medical. I did pass some of the so called "tests", but do very well realize that it in no way makes me an expert in the field. I have been devouring the medical terminology recently and reading up on the conditions and rocedures. My medical backround comes down to my parents being doctors, but that's pretty much it. I would really appreciate some guidance from the older and seasoned members of this community, like MIDISymphony, Hopeful, Sam and others. Interpreting has always been my dream, I even have a formal education (bachelor's degree in translation from my home country). I never thought I would be doing it though, so I am now excited and determined to become good at this. Bottom line: what rocedures should I look up (read up about), please describe the most frequent types of medical calls you get (are those check ups or something more specific?) Do you recomend any particular glossaries/reference materials? Thanks so much for all your help, I am just very apprehensive and feel a lot of responsibility, as I realize, once you log in, you're on your own..
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5081 Jan 18, 2013
melina wrote:
ouch!!! PI is LLS now ,tears from my heart :(
Me too. Got the news and can not believe it either. Been working with PI for more than 6 years and now, not sure what the future will be?
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5082 Jan 18, 2013
Corona del Mar wrote:
Semi Hopeful,
LionBridge does pay well. Very well. They have everhthing, medical, fema, legal etc.
I would love that, however I have never had luck getting any respond from them. My ten years experience and degree does not mean anything to them. How are you doing darling? Long time no talk. How is our buddy from Ohaio?
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5083 Jan 18, 2013
Need a job wrote:
<quoted text>
they hired OPIs from Peru??
Telelanguage is an agency from hell! Stay away as much as you can. There are plenty of other companies you can get a job from. They are the disgrace to interpreting agencies.
Olin

Brooklyn, NY

#5084 Jan 18, 2013
melina wrote:
ouch!!! PI is LLS now ,tears from my heart :(
The way this is going, we will all soon beg LLS for an $8 per hour shift. The only way I see to stop this companies from making interpreters into a cheap fast phone providers is to create an interpreters owned company based on intergrity, professionalism and profit sharing, which will cater to interpreter's needs and will be owned by interpreters... Now, that could be powerful! We could leave all the bloodsuckers at loss. Who would work for them then? If the interpreters had a company for themselves, and the "revenue" would go to their pockets? The clients would also appreciate such company, where interpreters are paid well, have time to hone their skills and knowledge, don't have to work 3 jobs to survive...
Olin

Brooklyn, NY

#5085 Jan 18, 2013
Meanwhile, PI are hiring on craigslist...
http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/jjj...
What does this mean?...
MIDISymphony

Massillon, OH

#5086 Apr 2, 2013
I'm with CLI now and I'm a happy camper .
Anyone with PI contract will become LLS employee. I'm glad I quit PI back in Sep. 2012 and signed contract with CLI. Pacific Interpreters were becoming a prick in the pants for me - very unfriendly and invasive. I only make up to $1K monthly with CLI but it's the money we put away in out budget anyways. Also I only have 6 more years left to start collecting SS pension. And time is flying ...
hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5087 Apr 2, 2013
Can you give us a hint how to get a job with your new agency? A name or a good direct number to recruiter?
Olin wrote:
What does this mean?...
MIDISymphony

Massillon, OH

#5088 Apr 2, 2013
Olin wrote:
What does this mean?...
For "work at home" I can only see pesky Language Line Services ads. No "Pacific Interpreters" - as they're no longer separate business entity. All OPIs I know who had contract with PI were offered employee status with LLI for ridiculously low wages. Others reportedly received a famous American "golden handshake".
Good luck finding new agency to all of you, people. Times are definitely getting tough...

Since: Jan 13

Brooklyn, NY

#5089 Apr 3, 2013
Hopeful, I can give you contact info for the CLI recruiter. I just don't want to post it here, not sure if that would be ok...
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5090 Apr 3, 2013
I am sure they would love it if you be a referral for them. I am sure it does not matter if you do post it. However you can go to Farsi Interpreter at fb and look me up over there.
oliuk wrote:
Hopeful, I can give you contact info for the CLI recruiter. I just don't want to post it here, not sure if that would be ok...
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5091 Apr 3, 2013
I am sure they would love it if you be a referral for them. I am sure it does not matter if you do post it. However you can go to Farsi Interpreter at fb and look me up over there.Thanks in advance.
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5092 Apr 3, 2013
It has been a while. I am amazed that you quit working for PI. How is your health my dear? I know you had some sort of heart problem. It sure has been a while.
MIDISymphony wrote:
I'm with CLI now and I'm a happy camper .
Anyone with PI contract will become LLS employee. I'm glad I quit PI back in Sep. 2012 and signed contract with CLI. Pacific Interpreters were becoming a prick in the pants for me - very unfriendly and invasive. I only make up to $1K monthly with CLI but it's the money we put away in out budget anyways. Also I only have 6 more years left to start collecting SS pension. And time is flying ...
MIDISymphony

Massillon, OH

#5095 Apr 3, 2013
Hopeful - intuition, just intuition. They turned into bitches few months before I ditched them. Then after few more months they ceased to exist. As far as my heart condition goes, I'm waiting for Obamacare to kick in. It will be better for me to have any insurance, than no insurance ( which is happening right now) My wife is in the same situation. She's been working as a part-time reference librarian in a public library since 2001 ( government job, you'd think). Whenever someone in her library retires and the person had full time position, management splits it up into two part-time positions. Hey, welcome to America - the country of scam and swindle. I met a guy from England few days ago and we had a friendly chat. I asked him when he'd arrived in the US and he told me : "14 years ago". When I asked him : " did you manage to adjust to American reality ?" he replied: " I'm still working on it". Then he goes : " How aboit yourself ?" And I said : " hey, I got good news for you- been here 26 years and still no end in sight for the adjustment process"....hahaha
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5096 Apr 3, 2013
Yes,I hear you. I have to pay $365.00 got a half ass insurance that really pays only for some of the cheap meds. I am fed up myself. Been here for 34 years and not yet understanding it! So, glad your okay. Yes, can tell why they split the jobs to part time jobs with no benefits. Its been years we are doing this job from home. I am so burnt out and do get crazy calls from QA of PI that just makes me more disappointed. Never once they call or give me a raise for the difficult and good jobs that I do. Anyhow, life goes on and we are still standing. That's the one that counts. Wish you best at all times.
MIDISymphony wrote:
Hopeful - intuition, just intuition. They turned into bitches few months before I ditched them. Then after few more months they ceased to exist. As far as my heart condition goes, I'm waiting for Obamacare to kick in. It will be better for me to have any insurance, than no insurance ( which is happening right now) My wife is in the same situation. She's been working as a part-time reference librarian in a public library since 2001 ( government job, you'd think). Whenever someone in her library retires and the person had full time position, management splits it up into two part-time positions. Hey, welcome to America - the country of scam and swindle. I met a guy from England few days ago and we had a friendly chat. I asked him when he'd arrived in the US and he told me : "14 years ago". When I asked him : " did you manage to adjust to American reality ?" he replied: " I'm still working on it". Then he goes : " How aboit yourself ?" And I said : " hey, I got good news for you- been here 26 years and still no end in sight for the adjustment process"....hahaha
MIDISymphony

Massillon, OH

#5097 Apr 4, 2013
QA calls from PI was the reason I told them one day " bye and don't call me again". QA would call me at midnight ( it was 9 pm in Portland, OR) and ask me how long was my last call ( i.e. the one I completed 7 hours ago...) They kept calling like maniacs, even though I consistently told them that I did not keep track of duration of my calls. Sometimes a gentleman called from( I assume PI QA dept.) and was trying to reprimand me for "not using first person in interpretation". But his English was so remarkably bad that I could only suspect what he wanted. To make long story short, I decided to move on and ignore incompetence :)
MIDISymphony

Massillon, OH

#5098 Apr 5, 2013
hopeful wrote:
Can you give us a hint how to get a job with your new agency? A name or a good direct number to recruiter?
<quoted text>
Check post # 5052
CLI

Portland, OR

#5099 Apr 18, 2013
I hope all of you are well. If you are interested in providing interpreting service for CLI you can e-mail your resume to [email protected]

All resumes or e-mails sent to that address go directy to the Interpreter Recruiting Department.

Take care everyone,
Doriana McGraw
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5100 Apr 19, 2013
Many thanks to Doriana. I have sent my resume already and they have responded to my email. Thanks again.
CLI wrote:
I hope all of you are well. If you are interested in providing interpreting service for CLI you can e-mail your resume to [email protected]
All resumes or e-mails sent to that address go directy to the Interpreter Recruiting Department.
Take care everyone,
Doriana McGraw
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5101 Apr 19, 2013
Thanks darling. Long time ago I did apply with them but never got a reply. I will try again. How have you been darling?
Corona del Mar wrote:
Semi Hopeful,
LionBridge does pay well. Very well. They have everhthing, medical, fema, legal etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Piedmont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oakland: Officer hospitalized in officer-involv... 12 hr OMF 1
News Officer Involved Shooting in Oakland. We speak ... 12 hr OMF 1
News Metering ramps have Vacaville seeing red 18 hr Birds Landing Bob 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Thu Mother Mcreeeeee 20,096
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Wed Carnac The Magnif... 17,057
News 17-year-old homicide victim from San Leandro id... (Jan '09) Aug 23 gayman 143
2015 Oakland Murders Aug 23 Lisa Hong 26
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Piedmont Mortgages