of 3
Next Last
On Watch

United States

#1 Oct 30, 2006
Gang member in court Witnesses: Man accused of terrorizing neighbors
By Sandy Mazza Staff Writer
Article Launched:10/25/2006 06:31:31 PM PDT
WHITTIER - If Mark Angelo Santa Anna's intention was to strike fear in people, as prosecutors and sheriff's detectives allege, then witnesses say the accused gang member from Pico Rivera accomplished his goal.
During two separate, back-to-back preliminary hearings, tearful witnesses said they still feared the 23-year-old defendant, even though he remains held at Twin Towers Correctional Facility on
$1.2 million bail and is facing life in prison if convicted of eight felony counts, including robbery, armed assault and attempted murder.
"I'm scared," said a teary eyed Richard Aguirre, a security guard who testified Santa Anna assaulted and robbed him at his job at a restaurant. "I would rather not discuss this. I'm afraid he might get back to me again."
One witness, who asked that her name not be revealed for fear of retaliation, said her family is still afraid to leave the house months after her teenage son was beaten and robbed in July, allegedly by Santa Anna, for a pack of cigarettes.
"It's really scary. When we go out, we look around," she said. Prosecutors allege Santa Anna, who was released from prison in March after serving three years for robbery, went on a three-month crime spree
Advertisement
that terrorized his Pico Rivera neighborhood from May to July, when he was arrested.
"He came out of prison and wanted to keep his status and climb in the gang, so he terrorized the community," said Detective Hank Ortega of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Operation Safe Streets (OSS) anti-gang team at Pico Rivera Station.
Six witnesses testified Tuesday that they were accosted by Santa Anna. Afterward, Whittier Court Commissioner Loren M. DiFrank ordered Santa Anna held for trial. The witnesses included two teenage boys and a middle-aged woman alone in her home.
"He picked on easy victims," said OSS Detective Noel Furniss. William Imsuasti identified Santa Anna as the man who approached him in a van while Imsuasti was walking alone on May 29 near Cord and Mines avenues.
"After that, he raised a small caliber gun," said Imsuasti. "He showed it off, then continued driving. I kept walking in the opposite direction."
Imsuasti said he was followed by the van, then heard gunshots.
Defense attorney Stephen Rodriguez argued that prosecutors did not prove that Santa Anna attempted to kill anyone.
"There is a total lacking of evidence showing the intent of my client to kill anyone," Rodriguez said. "The witness admits he couldn't see who was doing the shooting."
sandy.mazza@sgvn.com
Jeff

United States

#2 Nov 2, 2006
Gang member, what a shocker.

We need public hangings. We could take this guy to his, "hood," and do it there.(behind bullet proof glass of course)

I'm sick of the utter scum in our cities. This guy serves ZERO purpose in society.... NONE. He'll just suck our tax dollars and make more victims of good people. They should just end his life and do everyone a favor.
blaze-it

Anaheim, CA

#3 Nov 17, 2006
um , i think your being an jackass , a stuck up rich guy who lives in a place where this sort of stuff dosent happen so stop complaining dick.
Jeff

Mission Viejo, CA

#4 Dec 6, 2006
blaze-it wrote:
um , i think your being an jackass , a stuck up rich guy who lives in a place where this sort of stuff dosent happen so stop complaining dick.
Okay, "blaze it." Go spark another.

First, I grew up in that shit hole called Pico, so I know what I speak of. The fact I was smart enough to move away from it has no bearing on my income. Oh, and it's "you're" not, "your." I won't resort to the name calling, it's obvious you're a child.
Pico Rivera parent

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Mar 1, 2007
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, "blaze it." Go spark another.
First, I grew up in that shit hole called Pico, so I know what I speak of. The fact I was smart enough to move away from it has no bearing on my income. Oh, and it's "you're" not, "your." I won't resort to the name calling, it's obvious you're a child.
Apparently you have issues with Pico Rivera. Well I am glad you moved. If you are so happy where you are AT, then why are you still complaining. Has anyone ever told you STOP CRYING ALREADY!!!!!!!!!
Scott

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#6 Mar 1, 2007
I also grew up in Pico. There are nice spots, and not so nice spots. If you're happy there, good for you. I'm glad I'm gone, there are nicer areas to live, that's for sure.

I have issues with gang members and low lifes of society. If Pico weren't infested with them, I'd think it were a fantastic place to live.
Pico Rivera Parent

Chino, CA

#7 Mar 1, 2007
I dopn't think that Pico is infested with gang members. I graduted in early 90's I never had any probelsm then and now. It is a fantastic place for my family yo live. My kids are 4th generation here Pico Rivera
sc1ooter

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Mar 26, 2007
Pico Rivera Parent wrote:
I dopn't think that Pico is infested with gang members. I graduted in early 90's I never had any probelsm then and now. It is a fantastic place for my family yo live. My kids are 4th generation here Pico Rivera
helllllooooo we are wayyyyyyy past the 90's...and besides you don't know any better........ there is a big world out there.... OPEN YOUR EYES
MARKSANTAANNALOV ER

La Habra, CA

#10 Aug 6, 2007
I LOVE THAT GUY!
WHAT A SICK MAN!
HAHA
Pico Parent In Denial

AOL

#11 Aug 6, 2007
Pico Rivera has some of the worst.
Major players from in and out the country. Popular places in the city are known as havens for some real shady characters.
Half of the elected officials and some of their friends are underinvestigation.
Wake up.
Resident

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Aug 7, 2007
I have lived in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas all my life. I was born in Lincoln Heights and Lived in ELA and then in Boyle Heights, I lived in Montebello and now I have been living in Pico for the last three years. I am an old lady that works more then 40 hours a week and I have learned that it does not matter where you live there is good and bad everywhere. The reason some places are not as well known for the bad is that they are better at keeping it a secret. I believe that if you live in a place where you feel safe and are not afraid, great, if you do not then move and find a place you will feel safe.
50+
Second Thoughts

Pico Rivera, CA

#13 Aug 7, 2007
blaze-it wrote:
What does it matter if he's rich, or poor, living in a crime ridden area, or not? The fact that this gang member needs to be put out of our misery crosses all financial, cultural, and educational boundries.
Second Thoughts

Pico Rivera, CA

#14 Aug 7, 2007
So, how do you explain that execution by Mine's?
Medium Blend

AOL

#15 Aug 8, 2007
What execution by Mines?
Pico Rivera Parent

Chino, CA

#17 Aug 20, 2007
Second Thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>So, how do you explain that execution by Mine's?
What comes around goes around, They excuted gang members and for reasons is known. They burn somebody and it came back to them

Since: Mar 07

United States

#19 Sep 5, 2007
People, the focus here is not on some guy that moved out of Pico Rivera, we should focus on the problem at hand: we have a gang violence problem in Pico Rivera, just admit it...

Have you not read the story about the grandmother who was shot and killed by taggers from the Brown Authority gang? Or the 13 year old girl shot at Smith Park on valentine's day? Or...well you get the idea.

For those of you that say it is safe to live in Pico Rivera, you're only saying that because you have not been shot by a gang member or a tagger...at least not yet. There are 65,000 Pico Rivera residents and a few of them gets killed each month. That is unaceptable...

Take a look at murder rates of other near-by cities. Pico Rivera is just about the same as cities such as Lynwood, Bell, and East LA areas such as Boyle Heights. But as you head south, the murder rates are lower in places like Downey, Norwalk, and especially Cerritos...

Cerritos had only 3 murders in the entire year of 2006, thanks to the city's strict laws and ordinance such as prohibiting public parking without a permit (to sweep out all uninvited visitors), and excessive police patrol at every dark corners of the city. And the public's on-going fight against taggers and gangs by notifying police. That is what Pico Rivera needs. I am doing my fair share of the fight; I report every suspicious activity in my neighborhood filled with young innocent children. I want them safe. I am happy to say that tagging has declined ever since I became proactive in this fight. I ask for Pico Rivera residence to do the same. If you love your city, do everything you can to protect it from gang violence.
MARKSANTAANNALOV ER

United States

#20 Oct 30, 2007
ALL THE SUPPOSED "FACTS" THAT ARE BEING PORTRAYED ARE STRAIGHT BULLSHIT. MARK SANTAANNA IS AN INNOCENT MAN AND IN TIME JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL AND HE WILL WALK THESE STREETS AGAIN.
grieving

Eden Prairie, MN

#21 Oct 31, 2007
<quoted text>
What comes around goes around, They excuted gang members and for reasons is known. They burn somebody and it came back to them
Pico Rivera is now a different place; I also lived in Pico and graduated from ER. The 90's were different but with time, as usual, things change. I’ve read several of your comments in a few forums regarding gangs and it seems as though you see them as the victims of a tough society. Have you heard of the term “Ignorance is bliss”?? These gangs, who enjoy tagging, stealing, intimidating and killing, are not products of a tough society. These are products of a bad family with no values/morals. My family and I have suffered an enormous loss….a family member was killed by gang members. Our family member was not a gang member and never associated with gang members. But, these little punks, whose family raised them around gang activity, took her life away over something senseless. This family infested Pico Rivera with several generations of cowardly; wanna-be punks until they were KICKED out of Pico. They were kicked out because the neighborhood that they lived in finally had enough of their gang parties (not only did they party in front of their house but took over several neighbors yards), graffiti (all over their own house and the neighborhood) and the several drive by shootings that this house was targeted for. Their kids still came back from another county to stir trouble. So having said this, tell me again how WE (good productive citizens) are supposed to be sympathetic and not judgmental towards them??
Mom

West Hills, CA

#22 Nov 8, 2007
Your point is valid and true. Your family is a beautiful one, a productive part of this so called "human society". I wish you great patience and strength. These bastards are produced by scrap, welfare whores, druggie sperm donors. What should we expect from losers? and those that come to their defense by posting stupid comments, are not to be heard.
grieving wrote:
<quoted text>
Pico Rivera is now a different place; I also lived in Pico and graduated from ER. The 90's were different but with time, as usual, things change. I’ve read several of your comments in a few forums regarding gangs and it seems as though you see them as the victims of a tough society. Have you heard of the term “Ignorance is bliss”?? These gangs, who enjoy tagging, stealing, intimidating and killing, are not products of a tough society. These are products of a bad family with no values/morals. My family and I have suffered an enormous loss….a family member was killed by gang members. Our family member was not a gang member and never associated with gang members. But, these little punks, whose family raised them around gang activity, took her life away over something senseless. This family infested Pico Rivera with several generations of cowardly; wanna-be punks until they were KICKED out of Pico. They were kicked out because the neighborhood that they lived in finally had enough of their gang parties (not only did they party in front of their house but took over several neighbors yards), graffiti (all over their own house and the neighborhood) and the several drive by shootings that this house was targeted for. Their kids still came back from another county to stir trouble. So having said this, tell me again how WE (good productive citizens) are supposed to be sympathetic and not judgmental towards them??
REMAS OLD SKOOL ASSNS SGV

Atlanta, GA

#23 Nov 16, 2007
OSA KHA CTS MH USK FBI RUH LPK TMK KRH CAH CFK BIA BFH NLB OG CREW SGV626-AKA818

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pico Rivera Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Montebello Hills Reserve? 3 min Montebello Newbie 1
Why do people hate God? (Jan '12) 11 min bhesh 26
Open minded women (Jan '13) 28 min 3234136573 geo 26... 2
BP Soccer League and Owner Vazquez Evade Taxes 1 hr Vazquez Family Ch... 1
Gonzalo Vazquez and Rita Vazquez own TWO Houses 1 hr Vazquez Family Turds 2
tragedy el monte high (Apr '06) Feb 24 tellinitlikeitis 97
Streamland Park (May '07) Feb 16 Concerned Bystander 90

Pico Rivera News Video

Pico Rivera Dating
Find my Match