I give God 10% why do you get 18?

I give God 10% why do you get 18?

Posted in the Pickerington Forum

Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#1 Feb 1, 2013
Applebee's waitress canned after posting pastor's tip

The receipt shows that Alois Bell scratched out the 18% tip.

A waitress at an Applebee’s in the St. Louis area who got stiffed on a tip and posted the receipt online was fired on Wednesday after the customer complained to management.

The server, Chelsea Welch, told Yahoo! News she was surprised that she was "fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”

Welch had waited on a large party hosted by Pastor Alois Bell of the World Deliverance Ministries Church in Granite City, Ill. As is common at many restaurants, an 18 percent tip was automatically added to the bill.

Pastor bell crossed out the automatic tip and wrote “0” on the receipt, along with this message:“I give God 10% why do you get 18?”

The waitress took a photo of the bill and uploaded it to Reddit where it soon went viral.

“I thought the note was insulting, but it was also comical,” Welch told TheConsumerist.“I posted it to Reddit because I thought other users would find it entertaining.”

Bell, who did not see the humor in this, complained to the restaurant’s manager. Bell told The Smoking Gun she did not expect her signature to be all over the Internet.

Applebee’s confirms that Welch was fired. In a statement, the company says:

“Our Guests’ personal information – including their meal check – is private, and neither Applebee’s nor its franchisees have a right to share this information publicly. We value our Guests’ trust above all else. Our franchisee has apologized to the Guest and has taken disciplinary action with the Team Member for violating their Guest’s right to privacy. This individual is no longer employed by the franchisee.”

Pastor Bell told The Smoking Gun she is sorry for what happened and points out that she left a $6.29 cash tip on the table.

“My heart is really broken,” she told them.“I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and my ministry.”

Welch told Yahoo! News she is shocked she was fired. But even more shocked by Bell's message.

“I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day,” she said in her email to Yahoo!“I’ve been stiffed on tips before, but this if the first time I’ve seen the Big Man used as reasoning.”

What do you think? Did this waitress deserve to be fired?

Herb Weisbaum is The ConsumerMan. Follow him on Facebook and Twitteror visit The ConsumerMan website.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#2 Feb 1, 2013
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#3 Feb 1, 2013
Pictures of Pastor Bell:

https://www.google.com/search...

What? Blacks stiffing people on tips? I've never heard of such a thing! LOL
Little Green Man

Blacklick, OH

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
Pictures of Pastor Bell:
https://www.google.com/search...
What? Blacks stiffing people on tips? I've never heard of such a thing! LOL
I am surprised the pastor didn't do a "dine and dash". Always check their footwear! If they're wearing Chucks they're gonna run.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#5 Feb 1, 2013
God is working for tips now? I bet he under-reports on his tax returns.
Wait what

Galion, OH

#6 Feb 1, 2013
Hmmm, can't help but wonder if the White House has already been contacted about exemptions for religions who are discriminated against.
disco biskit

Richmond, KY

#7 Feb 1, 2013
I think it depends on how good/bad her job waitressing was.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#8 Feb 1, 2013
disco biskit wrote:
I think it depends on how good/bad her job waitressing was.
The reason she was let go was for going online about the customer.

“The team member involved did not wait on the guest or party. Regrettably, and without the restaurant’s knowledge, she took it upon herself to take a guest’s receipt, with the name clearly visible, and posted it online with her own commentary. That is a clear violation of our guest’s privacy and against the franchisee’s company policy that the team Member was provided when hired,” the company’s statement read.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/02/...

The pastor and the waitress are both a couple of knuckleheads.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#9 Feb 1, 2013
People should write that on their tax returns

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#10 Feb 1, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
People should write that on their tax returns
Government reply:

We are greater than God.
Enclosed is your new assessment...with penalties.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickerington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News America needs security, not the appearance thereof 3 min GrowUp 3
Time Magazine Person Of The Year 14 min Duke for Mayor 1
Looking for my father!!!!! 15 min Concerned daughter 14
Make America Great Again 15 min Trouser Cough 387
News Can bird feeders do more harm than good? 17 min They cannot kill ... 6
Donald trying to save US $4billion already 18 min Seriouslady 98
Religion in our schools..... 23 min Seriouslady 193

Pickerington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance