PTO tackles Patriots on levy | The Co...

PTO tackles Patriots on levy | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 214 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 17, 2011, titled PTO tackles Patriots on levy | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Amanda Tonjes and Patti Wigington say the Pickerington school district needs more money to stabilize its budget and preserve high-quality teachers and programs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
get informed

Reynoldsburg, OH

#203 Jul 23, 2011
"We feel the education is worth the price".

I have already proved beyond any shadow of doubt that we are paying more than enough of our hard earned private property to fund schools.

Now explain to to all here how a pay cut will hurt education, please be specific because a proper pay cut would do these things:

Recall ALL laid off teachers
Re-implement ALL cut programs
Reduce or ELIMINATE ALL pay to play fees

Just how exactly would doing these things hurt the district ?

Across the board pay cuts happen in the private sector all the time, they are never enjoyed when they happen but the adults in the room realize they are needed.
I am grateful

Reynoldsburg, OH

#204 Jul 23, 2011
get informed wrote:
"We feel the education is worth the price".
I have already proved beyond any shadow of doubt that we are paying more than enough of our hard earned private property to fund schools.
Now explain to to all here how a pay cut will hurt education, please be specific because a proper pay cut would do these things:
Recall ALL laid off teachers
Re-implement ALL cut programs
Reduce or ELIMINATE ALL pay to play fees
Just how exactly would doing these things hurt the district ?
Across the board pay cuts happen in the private sector all the time, they are never enjoyed when they happen but the adults in the room realize they are needed.
I never said anything about any cuts or lack there of. I didn't say one word about anything being hurt by anything. I said I am satisfied with the cost of the education and the quaility there of and I am willing to pay more to keep the quality and continue what has been a very good investment for me and mine.
get informed

Reynoldsburg, OH

#205 Jul 23, 2011
I am grateful wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said anything about any cuts or lack there of. I didn't say one word about anything being hurt by anything. I said I am satisfied with the cost of the education and the quaility there of and I am willing to pay more to keep the quality and continue what has been a very good investment for me and mine.
And what I am saying is this communtiy cannot continue to take more and more of our private property to fund salaries that are out of line with reality. I have proven and you agreed, we pay a very high tax rate. There is a saturation point with taxes when it is reached it is harmful not helpful, we have arrived there.

I will note your capitulation on the point that teachers taking a pay cut WILL NOT harm the district, thank you for making my point.

I will also note you agreed that our tax millage is Golden compared to all other districts. You are well on your way to rehabilitation as recognizing the problem is the first step.

This is still a good community but it needs some tweeking on the finance side. If the teachers and administrators will get out and help pull the cart instead of just riding along making the taxpayers do all the work, this will be a better community.
Woke

Norwich, OH

#206 Jul 23, 2011
get informed wrote:
<quoted text>
And what I am saying is this communtiy cannot continue to take more and more of our private property to fund salaries that are out of line with reality. I have proven and you agreed, we pay a very high tax rate. There is a saturation point with taxes when it is reached it is harmful not helpful, we have arrived there.
I will note your capitulation on the point that teachers taking a pay cut WILL NOT harm the district, thank you for making my point.
I will also note you agreed that our tax millage is Golden compared to all other districts. You are well on your way to rehabilitation as recognizing the problem is the first step.
This is still a good community but it needs some tweeking on the finance side. If the teachers and administrators will get out and help pull the cart instead of just riding along making the taxpayers do all the work, this will be a better community.
Excellent post
I am grateful

Reynoldsburg, OH

#207 Jul 23, 2011
get informed wrote:
<quoted text>
And what I am saying is this communtiy cannot continue to take more and more of our private property to fund salaries that are out of line with reality. I have proven and you agreed, we pay a very high tax rate. There is a saturation point with taxes when it is reached it is harmful not helpful, we have arrived there.
I will note your capitulation on the point that teachers taking a pay cut WILL NOT harm the district, thank you for making my point.
I will also note you agreed that our tax millage is Golden compared to all other districts. You are well on your way to rehabilitation as recognizing the problem is the first step.
This is still a good community but it needs some tweeking on the finance side. If the teachers and administrators will get out and help pull the cart instead of just riding along making the taxpayers do all the work, this will be a better community.
I capitulated to nothing. While your analysis statistics are true, your hypothesis and conclusions are anecdotal at best.

Your arrogance has blinded you to realities beyond your own opinion. To presume that you hold some intellectual or moral high ground and are in a position to judge my "rehabilitation” or for you to speak for all the "adults" in the room violates the most important standards of true intellectual research and borders on narcism.

If you are trying to impress me with your intellectual prowess, you have failed. Any first year grad student would rip your analysis to shreds. You have violated several rudimentary standards of intellectual research and debate. In the attached quote alone you make five conclusions that require at least one cite. You claim public records as your own research, and you claim a threshold that has no articulation or definition.

I have debated nothing with you. I have agreed to nothing you said. I have not even entered into a discussion of a single point. I have merely stated that my family has benefitted greatly from our association with the PLSD. I believe that the tax to benefit ratio is outstanding and I am grateful for all who have attended to the stellar education of my children's education.
Black Lion

Nashport, OH

#208 Jul 23, 2011
I am grateful wrote:
<quoted text>
I capitulated to nothing. While your analysis statistics are true, your hypothesis and conclusions are anecdotal at best.
Your arrogance has blinded you to realities beyond your own opinion. To presume that you hold some intellectual or moral high ground and are in a position to judge my "rehabilitation” or for you to speak for all the "adults" in the room violates the most important standards of true intellectual research and borders on narcism.
If you are trying to impress me with your intellectual prowess, you have failed. Any first year grad student would rip your analysis to shreds. You have violated several rudimentary standards of intellectual research and debate. In the attached quote alone you make five conclusions that require at least one cite. You claim public records as your own research, and you claim a threshold that has no articulation or definition.
I have debated nothing with you. I have agreed to nothing you said. I have not even entered into a discussion of a single point. I have merely stated that my family has benefitted greatly from our association with the PLSD. I believe that the tax to benefit ratio is outstanding and I am grateful for all who have attended to the stellar education of my children's education.
Why do teachers deserve cost of living raises when social security recipients, federal workers and disabled American veterans have not had one in three years?

Why do teachers deserve 14% of their gross salary paid into their personal pension accounts while privte sector workers only have 5.75% paid by their employer into their social security account?

Why do teachers deserve step increases for longevity when that practice is rare in the private sector?

Why do teachers deserve a salary suitable for a whole year yet work 185 days?

It is ludicrous for teachers to judge the merit of their students daily yet claim their jobs are too comples to be judged on their own merit.
get informed

Reynoldsburg, OH

#209 Jul 24, 2011
I am grateful wrote:
<quoted text>
I capitulated to nothing. While your analysis statistics are true, your hypothesis and conclusions are anecdotal at best.
Your arrogance has blinded you to realities beyond your own opinion. To presume that you hold some intellectual or moral high ground and are in a position to judge my "rehabilitation” or for you to speak for all the "adults" in the room violates the most important standards of true intellectual research and borders on narcism.
If you are trying to impress me with your intellectual prowess, you have failed. Any first year grad student would rip your analysis to shreds. You have violated several rudimentary standards of intellectual research and debate. In the attached quote alone you make five conclusions that require at least one cite. You claim public records as your own research, and you claim a threshold that has no articulation or definition.
I have debated nothing with you. I have agreed to nothing you said. I have not even entered into a discussion of a single point. I have merely stated that my family has benefitted greatly from our association with the PLSD. I believe that the tax to benefit ratio is outstanding and I am grateful for all who have attended to the stellar education of my children's education.
Nice bit of mumbo jumbo elitist drivel.
You really can't handle the argument and it it's showing.
You continue with the statement "I believe that the tax to benefit ratio IS outstanding", let me help you with that one, oh intellectual one, you claim from YOUR experience that the tax ration WAS excellent for YOU. It doesn't work that way for every family in Pickerington.

I gave a list of positives to a teacher pay cut, you came back with....nothing,... that my friend is Capitulation with a capital C.
When I correctly pointed out that we are taxed higher than any other community other than Bexley , In your own words you stated "You are right", and went on to say you love paying higher taxes so it was cool with you. I give you credit for letting us all know your Socialist tendencies. Most folks of that ilk will try to cloak them in words like, "it's for the kids".

If you have issue with anything I posted, just point out the things that are incorrect, we can go point by point , go ahead, I'll wait, but for the most part, you agree with me.
I am grateful

Reynoldsburg, OH

#210 Jul 24, 2011
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwn
get informed

Reynoldsburg, OH

#211 Jul 24, 2011
Like I said, you have nothing, well nothing but a bunch of stolen signs.

If you had the facts on your side, you would defend them.

When our teachers are already being paid 10% more than the state average which is 6th in the country btw, there is no defense for raising it further in this economy.

I also see NO ONE defending the back room deal for administrators to "Get Theirs" regardless of what Senate Bill 5 says.
http://ionplsd.com/LackofTransparency.aspx

I would love a board member to come on here and defend that!
If they were in the private sector, they would be fired for that deal and doing the perp walk. Shame on all of you for stealing our money, I just can't think of any other way to put it. Why not just adhere to Senate Bill 5? Why must you make a deal that says you get paid regardless?

Any administrators want let us know why you must get this?

Since: Jul 11

AOL

#212 Jul 24, 2011
I hear channel 10 covered the upcoming election today. I'll have to watch and see if anything is said about all the stolen NO signs. Some people think it's alright to break the law if it means that they might get their way. I don't agree with the yes signs but I would never stoop to stealing because someone disagrees with me. I do my best to keep my integrity intact.
NO to all school levies

Howard, OH

#213 Jul 24, 2011
"I am grateful" is obviously a union shill and/or teacher (my guess... drama teacher and not a very good one at that). What you don't understand is this is not an argument or debate. Maybe your students are impressed with your ridiculous histrionics but the tax-paying public is not. We're voting NO from now on to all school levies. There's already enough of our money going to the schools and the public is tired of all you "highly educated" people mismanaging our funds. Time to sharpen your pencils and tighten your belts because the public finally sees your BS for what it is. If they were working in the private sector all the members of the school board would be in prison for extortion and embezzlement. It is crimial what you've been doing with our money and you're ALL now being called to the carpet by the public.
Not about the kids

Howard, OH

#214 Jul 24, 2011
I'm sure we'll see the despicable "vote for kids" signs as always when the levy goes on the ballot. Laughable. After all, how many levies do you think would pass if they told the truth and made signs stating, "Vote for making teachers and school administrators rich beyond their wildest dreams." Or, "Vote to pay teachers who work only 185 days a year more in retirement than you currently make working 260 days a year". Or, "Vote to continue to allow teachers to retire then go back to work and draw retirement pay at 70% of their highest salary AND a higher salary than that on your dime." These people should be thrown into jail for stealing our money like this.

Since: Jul 11

AOL

#215 Jul 26, 2011
Why is it that the BOE makes all these "cuts" and then promises more spending if the levy passes. Can't the belts be tightened instead of pulled just a little tight and then over expanded again when they receive more money to play around with. I do not consider their actions responsible or the levy necessary when by their actions they are still spending unnecessarily. Agreeing to a contract with the teachers where they pay more for insurance, but giving each teacher $500 to off set this hard hit. Who do you know that pays only 15% for their insurance? Giving out bonuses to ALL administrators (got to take care of them in case SB5 isn't repealed), making sure the superintendent, who QUIT, gets that bonus too,(it is FOR THE KIDS after all BTW her last day is 7/31 and she wasn't even at the BOE meeting last night. DID she get paid for not attending?) Loaning money to a charter school to get it open. A CHARTER school. Aren't these suppose to be separate from public. Don't they rant and rave about district kids going somewhere other than the public schools?
Firing teachers and then hiring MORE administrators. How many administrators does it take to teach a student? There is still too much waste. This all needs to be addressed before asking for a levy. Get informed. Don't vote without asking the question as to why all of this spending is occurring if a levy is so desperately needed.
Do not care

West Jefferson, OH

#216 Jul 27, 2011
Not about the kids wrote:
I'm sure we'll see the despicable "vote for kids" signs as always when the levy goes on the ballot. Laughable. After all, how many levies do you think would pass if they told the truth and made signs stating, "Vote for making teachers and school administrators rich beyond their wildest dreams." Or, "Vote to pay teachers who work only 185 days a year more in retirement than you currently make working 260 days a year". Or, "Vote to continue to allow teachers to retire then go back to work and draw retirement pay at 70% of their highest salary AND a higher salary than that on your dime." These people should be thrown into jail for stealing our money like this.
While your sentiment and messaging is spot on, no one is stealing except the voters. In short, it's your neighbors that would be taking from you. Use the system - get your message out there. Stop lashing out about "theft" or "stealing." Make your points clear. You will be better off stopping at "dime."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickerington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
America Held Hostage Day 127 37 min MarkJ- 4
Republicans Cannot Create Jobs 45 min need ObamaCare 7
Republican Lunacy 56 min free pizza 4U 28
Giant Coyote near Marysville 1 hr Hail Hydra 13
America Held Hostage Day 128 2 hr Coo Coo Puffs 1
America Held Hostage Day 126 4 hr MarkJ- 24
News Should students learn cursive? Some states say yes (Nov '13) 4 hr They cannot kill ... 134

Pickerington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pickerington Mortgages