Scouting’s suicide
First Prev
of 55
Next Last

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#1 Feb 1, 2013
Imagine that a group of girls is going on a long camping trip, supervised by adult volunteers who are young men you barely know. Would you let your 15-year-old daughter go?

Nearly every parent, I think, would recognize the folly, even though the men might well be models of good behavior. Why should our common-sense response be any different if the 15-year-old is a boy and the possible, even if not-likely-to-be-acted-on, sexual attraction of the adult supervisors is homosexual rather than heterosexual?

Sadly, in the face of intense pressure from ideologues, the Boy Scouts of America are reportedly on the verge of abandoning their long-held policy against gay scout leaders. Among the many corporations facing petition campaigns from gay activists, Merck and UPS recently announced that their charitable foundations would no longer contribute to the Boy Scouts.
The classic innocence we’d all like to keep: Three scouts telling ghost stories in their tent in a 1959 file photo.
D. CORSON/ClassicStock/Corbis
The classic innocence we’d all like to keep: Three scouts telling ghost stories in their tent in a 1959 file photo.

Under the policy change that the Scouts’ national board will consider next week, the churches, schools and civic groups that sponsor troops would each be free to adopt their own policies on gay leaders and scouts.

Yet this proposed revision is incoherent and unworkable. The national Boy Scouts leadership obviously recognizes that it’s legitimate to disapprove of homosexual conduct, as the revised policy would let troops continue to exclude gays. But the change would deprive those troops of the protection that only a uniform national policy provides.

Different troops routinely interact at summer camps and other gatherings, and the staffers at those camps come from various troops. If the Scouts abandon their national policy, a troop that is chartered by a church that opposes homosexual conduct on moral grounds loses much of its ability to protect its scouts from being subjected to actions and statements that contradict the church’s teachings.

Consider, for example, something as simple as how a camp staffer might explain the meaning of the scout oath to be “morally straight.” Or how leaders and scouts from a pro-gay troop might provocatively highlight their new position with scouts from other troops.

Under the new policy, in which the national organization “would not, under any circumstances, dictate a position” to troops, what is to stop that from happening?

The legal problems with the revised policy are even more severe — and could spell ruin for lots of troops and scoutmasters.

In 2000, the Boy Scouts won a big Supreme Court victory against state laws that bar discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. That victory rested heavily on the fact that the Boy Scouts taught that homosexual conduct was contrary to their values.

But if the national group abandons that teaching against homosexual conduct, it paves the way for activists to sue troops that adhere to the traditional policy and to threaten troop leaders with personal liability.

Few troops could afford the expense and hassle of defending against these suits.

Hilliard, OH

#2 Feb 1, 2013
It’s equally clear that, whatever short-term peace the change might buy, it won’t appease the ideological opposition in the long run. Anyone who believes that it’s wrong for the Boy Scouts to require troops to exclude gays will also believe that it’s wrong for the Boy Scouts to allow troops to do so. The proposed surrender to pressure will just set up the next surrender to pressure.

As the father of a soon-to-be Eagle Scout, I’ve taken part in summer camps, a canoeing trip in remote northern Ontario and several other overnight outings. I can attest that privacy is often at a minimum. Injecting the aura of possible sexual attraction would degrade the experience.

Boy Scouts range in age from 10 up to 18, and Cub Scouts are as young as 7. Boys become scouts in order to hike, camp, shoot guns and arrows and learn other outdoor skills.

And many parents choose the Boy Scouts to provide the environment for these activities precisely because, in an age awash in the wreckage of moral relativism, the Scouts have stood strong. Those parents who wish a different environment for their sons should join other groups or build their own.

The Boy Scouts are — or at least have been — a great organization that has done so much to help transform young boys into fine men and to serve America’s communities. Unfortunately, in the warped progressive understanding of diversity, all organizations must be the same. The Boy Scouts are a target of the Left precisely because they have, until now, upheld traditional moral standards.

Among the virtues set forth in the Scout Law, a scout is trustworthy and brave. The leaders of the Boy Scouts will betray those virtues if they cave to pressure and abandon their national policy. The Boy Scouts deserve better.

Edward Whelan is president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center in Washington, DC.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolu...
Oliver T2000

Reynoldsburg, OH

#3 Feb 1, 2013
Scouts are nerds dorks and geeks they deserve one up the poop-shoot.

Hilliard, OH

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Oliver T2000 wrote:
Scouts are nerds dorks and geeks they deserve one up the poop-shoot.
You mean guys like Hank Aaron, Neil Armstrong, JFK and Nolan Ryan?
Oliver T2000

Reynoldsburg, OH

#5 Feb 1, 2013
I mean modern scouts not old guys though thats kind of creepy thinkng about Kennedy in brown shorts.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#6 Feb 1, 2013
Do you mean if they let gay kids in the Scouts that the Scoutmasters might start molesting them?
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#7 Feb 1, 2013
Every Eagle Scout I have ever met has been gay.

Hilliard, OH

#8 Feb 1, 2013
Oliver T2000 wrote:
I mean modern scouts not old guys though thats kind of creepy thinkng about Kennedy in brown shorts.
I have idea about today's scouts. I was one and quit at age 14 in 1977. My son lasted one year in Cub Scouts and hated it.

Hilliard, OH

#9 Feb 1, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
Every lawyer I've dealt with from NE Ohio has been a shyster.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#10 Feb 1, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Every lawyer I've dealt with from NE Ohio has been a shyster.
That's unfortunate for you. You should have done a better job of shopping.

Hilliard, OH

#11 Feb 1, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's unfortunate for you. You should have done a better job of shopping.
They came to me...on Topix.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#12 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>I have idea about today's scouts. I was one and quit at age 14 in 1977.
Thank you for that timely update on today's Scouting. It's as relevant as everything else you post.

Hilliard, OH

#13 Feb 1, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for that timely update on today's Scouting. It's as relevant as everything else you post.
I meant to say, "no idea."
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#14 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>I meant to say, "no idea."
Having an identity crisis again, Paco?

woof
VADoc

Aiken, SC

#15 Feb 1, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
Sorry I am an Eagle Scout and far from gay.

I don't mind the Boy Scouts letting gays into scouting or allowing gay scout masters.

Scouts already have rules in place to prevent any molestation. Scouts and scout masters never sleep in the same tents or quarters.

I think the more scouts the better. If more kids were involved in scouting we'd have less teenagers gang banging, doing drugs, and causing trouble.

The problem is many Mormons are scouts. The Mormon church has threatened in the past that if gays are allowed in scouting that they will pull out of Boy Scouts and start their own organization.

Hilliard, OH

#16 Feb 1, 2013
VADoc wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mind the Boy Scouts letting gays into scouting or allowing gay scout masters.
Scouts already have rules in place to prevent any molestation. Scouts and scout masters never sleep in the same tents or quarters.
I think the more scouts the better. If more kids were involved in scouting we'd have less teenagers gang banging, doing drugs, and causing trouble.
The problem is many Mormons are scouts. The Mormon church has threatened in the past that if gays are allowed in scouting that they will pull out of Boy Scouts and start their own organization.
Given the issues the Catholic Church is dealing with, it will be interesting to see how the parishes that sponsor troops will react.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#17 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>Given the issues the Catholic Church is dealing with, it will be interesting to see how the parishes that sponsor troops will react.
The decision presumably rests with the pastor. Who must obey the orders of the bishops.

The question is that this could open up each charter to lawsuits for not being PC and in violation of some state law.

The charters can't afford the cost of this, and there will be lawsuits, as the ultimate goal is to have the government strip the exemptions from institutions that aren't PC.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#18 Feb 1, 2013
VADoc wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with sexual orientation at all. Don't get me wrong. The gayest people I have ever met were Eagle Scouts. All the knot tying and everything. You know. Great people.

In the town I grew up in, the Scout Master was an avowed "bachelor" if you know what I mean. It was 30 miles to the closest Catholic parish, so being a scout master was the only real opportunity that he had.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#19 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>Given the issues the Catholic Church is dealing with, it will be interesting to see how the parishes that sponsor troops will react.
Why? The priests are pedophiles. The scout masters are pedophiles. Its seems like the perfect marriage (pardon the expression).

Hilliard, OH

#20 Feb 1, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with sexual orientation at all. Don't get me wrong. The gayest people I have ever met were Eagle Scouts. All the knot tying and everything. You know. Great people.
In the town I grew up in, the Scout Master was an avowed "bachelor" if you know what I mean. It was 30 miles to the closest Catholic parish, so being a scout master was the only real opportunity that he had.
You must have an interesting take on US astronauts...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 55
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickerington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Who Do You Support For President 1 hr Colonel Pale Rider 271
Muslims beat woman for wearing bikini French ou... 1 hr They cannot kill ... 6
CHINATOWN DETECTIVE AGENCY LOOKING FOR Crazylady 2 hr Bat5hitcrazy 30
Warning shot 2 hr They cannot kill ... 5
News Ohio coach Urban Meyer, mascot celebrated in bu... 2 hr Dr Wu 6
who knows david marcum (Feb '09) 2 hr Big Johnson 17
more ignorant white cops 2 hr They cannot kill ... 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pickerington Mortgages