Pickerington dismisses economic devel...

Pickerington dismisses economic development director Crotty

There are 24 comments on the ThisWeek Community Newspapers story from Mar 23, 2011, titled Pickerington dismisses economic development director Crotty. In it, ThisWeek Community Newspapers reports that:

The city of Pickerington this week dismissed economic-development services director Susan Crotty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ThisWeek Community Newspapers.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jekyll and Hyde

Columbus, OH

#1 Mar 25, 2011
And so it begins....the reign of terror on pickerington city employees by Bill Vance. So it continues... third times a charm I guess. He continues to fool everyone in the beginning but his true colors show everytime. One job 6 monts - the next one - four years ot PURE TERROR for employees. Who is next on the chopping block?

http://www.ladylake.org/wp-content/uploads/20...
WHS76

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2 Mar 25, 2011
It looks to me that the people in charge of running Pickerington cannot make up there mind who they want to run the city.
The Truth

Wapakoneta, OH

#3 Mar 25, 2011
The city manager and council conspired with a jealous and covert Violet Township on this one. What a shame. A city manager out of contol, a council divided and a slimey Township government. Both governments need new leadership. The truth will come out on this one. The city lost a good employee.
Mark

Delaware, OH

#4 Mar 26, 2011
Here is what BILLY the Bully’s last boss said about him:
“All about employee intimidation (by: Commissioner Paul Hannan - 10/21/2009)
It was all about intimidation of employees, the Social Security records brought this all to the forefront. For his entire tenure at Lady Lake he ruled as a dictator, just ask any employee, two had the guts to speak out at the special meeting which made one commissioner to cry, and another just refused to handle the truth. A very few residents and one commissioner, who didn't have a clue as to his impact on the moral of town employees, have attempted to strike out at this messenger for bringing this to a head. The next day after his firing many employees approached me with even more horror stories about intimidation. Walking the halls of the town hall now all employees have smiles on there faces, in which I haven't seen in four years. With potential lawsuits in the wings against Bill Vance, the town taxpayers haven't heard the last of him yet, and lets hope our insurance will cover all the expenses.”
Mark

Delaware, OH

#5 Mar 26, 2011
Here is what his friends are saying about him:

“Same story, different community...(by: Craig - 10/22/2009)

I know Bill from his days working in North Carolina, and I generally really like him, and he has done wonderful things for the communities for where he has worked in the past. But, for whatever reason, Bill always seems to end up in the same situation. For instance, in Virginia, where he was the manager of a small Town named Luray, he suffered the almost exact same fate as he did in Lady Lake. He split the community in half ( 1/2 loved him, 1/2 hated him), and eventually he was fired, by a split vote I believe...and from what I understand, in Virginia he also had lots of conflicts with subordinates and (you guessed it) members of the police department. Personally, I believe Bill is just one of those guys who almost always has his foot on the gas petal at all times so to speak. He knows only one way, and that is his way; he is authoritative, and god-forbid if you disagree with him, Bill is going to go out of his way to marginalize you. Unfortuanlty for Bill, this approach might work for a while, but it is not an effective - or even sane - managment style; and it has cost Mr. Vance his last two jobs. As an old friend, I suspect Bill will once again land on his feet, I just hope he eventually "mellows-out" with age, and stop taking things so personally. He is too bright of a guy, with great ideas...I wish all of those involved the best of luck in the future.”
Mark

Delaware, OH

#6 Mar 26, 2011
From the Orlando Sentinel:
Cop's apparent suicide, note baffle Lady Lake
February 20, 2009|By Helen Eckinger, Sentinel Staff Writer
LADY LAKE -- Officials in this northern Lake County town were baffled to learn that a police lieutenant who died in an apparent suicide Wednesday left a note saying his refusal to help oust the town's police chief contributed to stress that led him to kill himself.
Lt. Gene Wadkins, 44, a former Mascotte police chief, wrote in the note that he refused to go along with several city employees' plans to "fire a chief dedicated to the citizens of Lady Lake and most [Lady Lake Police Department] employees. You deserve so very much more."
A copy of the note, addressed to Lady Lake Police Chief Ed Nathanson, was provided to the Orlando Sentinel by the Lake County Sheriff's Office following a public records request.
"I don't understand where Gene was coming from with this," said Guy Shields, Lady Lake's human resources director and one of the people Wadkins named in the note.
On Thursday, Shields said there had been some managerial and staffing issues in the police department, which recently had reorganized. But he said Nathanson was working to fix them and is to brief city officials on his progress in the coming months.
"To me that's not an effort to get rid of the chief," Shields said.
Lady Lake Town Manager Bill Vance, another person Wadkins said was involved in the plan to fire Nathanson, said that he did not pressure Wadkins to help him oust the chief.
"It's very unfortunate and obviously disappointing to learn of these accusations," Vance said. "If the chief was going to be removed from office I would not need any assistance from Lt. Gene Wadkins."
Nathanson said that after news of the note began circulating in Lady Lake, Vance called and assured him that his job was not in jeopardy.
"It was just sad and harsh that this whole situation happened," Nathanson said, adding that his thoughts were with Wadkins' wife and daughter.
Vance and Shields said they were especially puzzled to be singled out by Wadkins because they have communicated extensively with him recently about his return to work following a motorcycle crash in Georgia late last year. Shields said Wadkins returned to work three days a week a few weeks ago.
Vance provided the Orlando Sentinel with an e-mail exchange between himself, Wadkins and Nathanson. In the e-mail, Wadkins said he was eager to get back to work and thanked the two for their help.
"You and Mr. Vance and the rest of staff have been more than supportive of my unfortunate situation which has left me eternally thankful to you all," he wrote to Nathanson on Jan. 15.
Mark

Delaware, OH

#7 Mar 26, 2011
Lady Lake Magazine/Village Spectator – November, 2009

By Tom Loury

I have mixed feelings about the firing of Lady Lake Town Manager Bill Vance. First, I’m not sure if it should be called a firing. Going into the meeting Bill Vance offered to hand in his resignation. As I understand it, he was under a well-written contract. To fire him you must show cause. It will be very hard to prove intimidation of an employee as a cause. In my estimation Bill Vance has taken the city places that few managers could have done. The problem comes in when, if you are an obstacle (business person or employee) you get run over. If the employee takes too long to react to something a strong willed-manager told him or her to do, then you become an obstacle. I once was a similar type of manager. I had several hundred employees and did not feel I had time to play or slow down. It did not take me long to figure out that would not work, so I hired supervisors
and I supervised the supervisors. Those superviores probably saved my life because no one can keep up that pace for long. Bill Vance and I had a problems regarding sign regulations. I was quick to recognize that he had too much going on, especially if you are micro-managing. A fast-moving manager with too many responsibilities
sometimes will micro-manage and never know it. It is too easy to handle the problem and move on. Feelings get hurt and things are said. The other problem is when employees see their boss pushing his way through agendas fast and making enemies they can’t tell him. Then the employees have a tendency to do the same. Once Bill Vance and I got through our problems we did fine. One of the problems is when the town has a problem with someone at a meeting they cut them off, and won’t let them speak any more. They should designate one of the town council or spokesperson to talk to that person in private later and explain what the problem is and why they could not speak any more. Otherwise the hate just builds and will pop back up at a later meeting and be even worse. It is unfortunate that Bill Vance and the Town Commission could not work their problems causing him to be fired. I think Bill Vance has a brilliant mind. I predict the town will have to pay him his six months severance pay. You have to have warned an employee several times and documented it to fire them. Intimidation of an employee by their supervisor is hard to prove and is not a firing offense. It is a federal labor issue and the town is liable for that also. This is just my opinion and is not a legal opinion from any other source. It is just something that was taught to me when I was in a similar position working with many employees.
Anonymous

Blacklick, OH

#8 Mar 26, 2011
Good Old Bill!

Say out in public that the commissions and boards are the greatest resource the city has when all he does is undermind their abilities. Like how you ask....take items that should go to boards and move them under administrative issues and push them through council. Watch out P & Z cause it will hit you the hardest. He wants everything to be aggressive when it comes to building so it will be up to you to stop him. Watch Watch Watch and listen. He has started down a path he can't break off from and won't. Who will be the next victim.....
concerned in picktown

Blacklick, OH

#9 Mar 27, 2011
looks like the picktown leadership didn't quite do their homework on this guy when they picked him! when you're so crappy to your staff that they kill themselves, that's a pretty strong message. I would think pretty hard to miss in a background, too... If one was even done, I suppose!
Ferd Berfel

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Mar 28, 2011
It's pretty obvious what happened here. Crotty is a skilled and ethical public servant. Vance knows it. He was simply intimidated by her abilities and therefore got rid of her so he could hire somebody better suited to stroke his ego. Most people who manage with intimidation are themselves intimidated, after all.

And speaking of intimidation, why are the Mayor and Council so paralyzed by fear that they can't cut this guy loose and hire a decent City Manager - one who would treat the employees and citizens with the respect they deserve? It is not malfeasance on Council's part to take this action. It is its responsibility. Perhaps it is time to elect a Council that can and will do the right thing.

The fact that Pickerington hired him despite knowing his past (it's scarcely a secret) indicates that the city neither cares about nor deserves skilled and ethical public servants.
Mark

Delaware, OH

#11 Mar 28, 2011
This manager is so head strong that in Florida he was trying to merge its police force with the county sheriff’s force. He apparently was pursuing it with so much aggression that one office killed his wife then he committed suicide. Only then did Mr. Vance call the police chief to assure him that he wasn’t going to lose his job. Apparently this manager can’t see the forest in front of him.
I would think trying to attract commercial development in this environment would be very difficult. The last time I drove through they did have something going up so development has not stopped dead in its tracks. I understand they have another doctor’s office about to break ground. Apparently it wasn’t fast enough or maybe some other reason. Maybe this guy is intimidated by ethical people.
He cut back on the staff in his previous job only to find that that caused an investigation and someone made a huge public information request of emails and contained on the disc was the social security numbers of all of the employees. Does he drive his employees with fear and they get stressed out and make mistakes? I wonder how much the previous employer has been sued since his departure.
ODB

Columbus, OH

#12 Mar 28, 2011
Who hired this Vance idiot anyway?

Doesn't city hall have an internet connection? There is a mess of stuff you can find on the web about this guy and his lack of character.
House of Cards

Bronx, NY

#13 Mar 28, 2011
ODB wrote:
Doesn't city hall have an internet connection? There is a mess of stuff you can find on the web about this guy and his lack of character.
The Mayor wanted Vance. The Mayor thought he could control Vance and now that is not the case the Mayor puppets are putting comments like this one by ODB in this paper. Crotty was the Mayor's pick. The Police Chief was filling in as Manager and hire her when she was not given the Manager's position. Mayor wanted to reward his Crotty puppet for making donation to his election money chest and have someone in his camp to control. She could only show a $100 payment on record but everyone in earshot of the Mayor's group (at least former group) knows it was more. The Mayor's house of cards seems to be falling.
Mark

Delaware, OH

#14 Mar 28, 2011
Now you are implying that everyone in City Hall was in on some kind of conspiracy to hire Crotty. However that would include the entire council in this conspiracy. So the Mayor wants Vance in there to fire the person you claim he just rewarded by hiring her for a campaign donation. This also implies that the Police Chief is part of the conspiracy because he hired Crotty. So council rode in like the Calvary and hired a tyrant to run the city. I do not believe the Mayor can fire anyone or he would have done so if your theory of this conspiracy is correct. So the council is trying to shift the blame for hiring this guy on to the Mayor. First the council wants to say they stood up to the Mayor and didn’t hire Crotty then they want to distance themselves from the guy they did hire and blame his actions on the Mayor. His was a bully before he got here and he continues to be a bully. It is up to council to fire him or live with your poor decision
House of Cards wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mayor wanted Vance. The Mayor thought he could control Vance and now that is not the case the Mayor puppets are putting comments like this one by ODB in this paper. Crotty was the Mayor's pick. The Police Chief was filling in as Manager and hire her when she was not given the Manager's position. Mayor wanted to reward his Crotty puppet for making donation to his election money chest and have someone in his camp to control. She could only show a $100 payment on record but everyone in earshot of the Mayor's group (at least former group) knows it was more. The Mayor's house of cards seems to be falling.
Mark

Delaware, OH

#15 Mar 28, 2011
The council voted 7-0 to hire him. Mayor has no vote in this matter.
ODB wrote:
ODB

Columbus, OH

#16 Mar 29, 2011
House of Cards wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mayor wanted Vance?? What does that mean? The Mayor has no vote on the matter. If you're looking to cast blame for hiring this thug, look no fruther than the 7 City Council members. They're the ones that voted to hire him and they're also the ones that voted to increase his pay when everyone from the MAYOR to the City Attorney said we didn't need to.

As for a campaign contribution to the Mayor, so what? If this is going to turn into a mud slinging contest, let's take a look at Bill Vance's real boss, Jeff Fix. He generates thousands of dollars for his campaigns from outside the city of Pickerington. He's got so many special interest groups in his pocket that he'll sell this city right down the river and never bat an eye.

Pickerington is in a bad way right now.
Get of Yourself

Columbus, OH

#17 Mar 29, 2011
House of Cards wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again - get off your lazy BU## and go to the county board of elections and pull the mayor's campaign filings. You will see that every dime was accounted for, every receipt was submitted - unlike other elected officials. Find where Susan Crotty made additional contributions and show the documentation. I have seen the filings and can tell you it isn't so.
concerned in picktown

Blacklick, OH

#18 Mar 29, 2011
wow. first the schools are going to hell, and now the city government as a whole is a mudslide cascading down a hillside. beautiful. i'm so glad my most expensive personal investment was made in this fine city. perhaps its time to start looking elsewhere?
Mark

Delaware, OH

#19 Mar 30, 2011
This city has had its run ins with those that tend to look out for themselves and their campaign contributors. It is very hard to elect anyone in Pickerington with strictly local money. Once the candidate reaches beyond the borders of the city then the problems begin. Apparently the Mayor has been accused of accepting a donation from a private citizen and a person that didn’t work for the city at the time. However it also appears that we have members of council accepting donations from outside the city’s borders. Named here on this blog is Councilman Fix. He tends to be a slippery fellow and lord only knows what he is up to. Clearly the council last year did not do its due diligence in properly screening the Manager. Then on the other hand maybe they wanted someone to intimidate the staff and the local population. His record shows more in the zoning area and a number of law suits related to zoning. What is very disturbing is the fact that the recruiter the city used to recruit the manager is the same people that conducted the recent phone survey. I wonder who is controlling whom.
bill

Delaware, OH

#20 Mar 30, 2011
I see that the President of the council stands behind the firing. He is 100% behind this Tryant. So if there are any questions about where the council stands on thismatter we now know. The mayor hasn't said anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickerington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Proof extra-terrestrials are already here on Ea... 9 min Free Pizza 4 U 3
Are Jobs More Important Than Our Environment? 13 min Hemingway 216
America Held Hostage Day 187 47 min Big Johnson 14
July 27 is Finally Here! 1 hr Pigeon foot 16
Looks like the Swamp is Filling, not Draining 1 hr Duke for Mayor 2
Fire Jeffrey Sessions: dis is aggiN whiteTrash 2 hr Trump Rules USA 1
News Russian hospital stay harrowing for central Ohi... 3 hr Hot farts 5

Pickerington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance