Ex-pastor at megachurch sued over sex-abuse counseling

Aug 30, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Columbus Dispatch

Rich Nathan, senior pastor of Vineyard Church, shown above in 2007, said he fired former associate pastor Steven C. Robbins as soon as Nathan heard about the allegations of misconduct.

Comments
21 - 37 of 37 Comments Last updated Apr 8, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joe Hoffman

Plain City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2011

Judged:

the real truth wrote:
<quoted text>
And reputable organizations put in place safeguards with regard to counselors, pastoral or otherwise, for the protection of both counselors and clients.
Safe guards were in place, but the policies and procedures were not followed by Mr. Robbins.
ava

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

Steve Robbins was an outstanding leader, teacher, family man, for more than 35 years, a wonderful servant of God, and he fell tragically too sin, with another adult, I know the father will forgive, and redirect his life astoundingly, He did with King David who was given to us as an example..
ava

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

I know Steve Robbins as a wonderful servant of God, A great teacher, family man, pastor and leader for more than 35 years. He took a big fall,,Must it all go awry now? I think not, Yeshua said King David was given to us as an example, Steve may have committed adultery but not murder too,,I believe the fruit of his life will continue to bless many, And God does completely wipe the slate clean,,and redirect out lives, we are all sinners..Pray for him and his family..
vncnz12m

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

The more I read about these so called "men of God" who think that they have "carte blanche" to do anything they want while they are on earth and that they will be forgiven. I see nothing but a bunch of hyppocritical bags of trash. I do believe in God but do not believe in organized religion. They quote a bunch of riddles written thousands of years ago in the bible that has been translated and retranslated to manipulate the masses of the period of time and have today's gullible masses believe today's hyppocritical preachers. I see these phonies on TV and it makes me want to puke. They look and act like used car salesmen and con men. I think they will be in for a surprise when they meet their maker!
WhatWhat

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Couldn't the lady of said "no" to his sexual advances. I'm confused?

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

All have sinned wrote:
Rich Nathan handled the situation well with Robbins and with the congregation. Men fail, as did this person.
This "unnamed" woman should not go by "Jane Doe" if she's suing; she made a conscious decision to participate. Sounds like she and her family were contacted by a money-hungry lawyer. She's moving from sexual sin to greed.
Parents are normally not named to protect the identity of the child involved. If the parent's name was published, it would automatically be known who the child is.
Megabull crap

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

These mega churches prey on the weak. It's a fraternity not a house of worship. No one will bend you over faster that a pastor at one of these cults.
Dan

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2012

Good move by Nathan to get rid of former associate pastor Steven C. Robbins immediately. There is no excuse for this type of behavior.
Dan

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2012

ava wrote:
I know Steve Robbins as a wonderful servant of God, A great teacher, family man, pastor and leader for more than 35 years. He took a big fall,,Must it all go awry now? I think not, Yeshua said King David was given to us as an example, Steve may have committed adultery but not murder too,,I believe the fruit of his life will continue to bless many, And God does completely wipe the slate clean,,and redirect out lives, we are all sinners..Pray for him and his family..
Please read the story.

Mr. Robbins’ expertise was in theology, so "counseling" this woman for sex addiction was way beyond his job duties and responsibilities. This was in clear violation of managment policy and he deserved to be fired; and I would be surprised if any church would hire him. Kudos to Nathan for taking swift action.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Size of the dog

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

ava wrote:
What is the definition of a megachurch?

How many members does it take?

How many megachurches are there in Columbus, Ohio?
Whats wrong with this pic

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Nothing like this has happened at Xenos.

Xenos is being held to a higher standard because they believe the Bible is the Word of God.
skeptical

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

I would be willing to be that there is MUCH more to this than anyone knows and I am quite certain (based on personal experience in my own life) that there is a bunch that was swept under the carpet. These leaders protect their own - even though Robbins was fired (Nathan had no choice)- it is ludicrous to think that a religion that blames the woman for seducing men (it's always the woman's fault) would put a woman with a sex addiction in counseling with a man!!

To me it spouts control. Most of these organizations are about power and money and control - period.

It makes me absolutely sick that they "welcomed" him back. Where is the woman and her husband and family? I am not saying Robbins isn't worthy of forgiveness, but he should be worshipping somewhere else - not in the congregation where these took place.

Vineyard dropped the ball, sorry to say, where the woman's family is concerned.
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

skeptical wrote:
I would be willing to be that there is MUCH more to this than anyone knows and I am quite certain (based on personal experience in my own life) that there is a bunch that was swept under the carpet. These leaders protect their own - even though Robbins was fired (Nathan had no choice)- it is ludicrous to think that a religion that blames the woman for seducing men (it's always the woman's fault) would put a woman with a sex addiction in counseling with a man!!
To me it spouts control. Most of these organizations are about power and money and control - period.
It makes me absolutely sick that they "welcomed" him back. Where is the woman and her husband and family? I am not saying Robbins isn't worthy of forgiveness, but he should be worshipping somewhere else - not in the congregation where these took place.
Vineyard dropped the ball, sorry to say, where the woman's family is concerned.
Agree.

This was a case of extreme sexual abuse and the "predator" is welcomed back?

Sad.

Skeptical

Logan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree.
This was a case of extreme sexual abuse and the "predator" is welcomed back?
Sad.
Yep - check out the columbus dispatch article of July 2011.
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Skeptical wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep - check out the columbus dispatch article of July 2011.
Good point.

Mega churches are vulnerable to becoming personality cults where certain individuals become seemingly all powerful and operate on a different set of rules that the rest of us.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

WhatWhat wrote:
Couldn't the lady of said "no" to his sexual advances. I'm confused?
accept personnel responsibility?

are you crazy?

that would mean she can't receive hush money.
skeptical

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

This woman was being "counseled" by a pastor within this church. She was troubled. This man was not QUALIFIED to counsel this woman. It was outside of his expertise. He should have IMMEDIATELY turfed to a professional that could help her (and no one within that church). It was outside of his "expertise". That was a huge mistake on his part. He overstepped his bounds as a "professional" and as a "pastor".

If there is "hush" money, that's all the more indication that this organization is corrupt and about saving their own butts.

This is a sad situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Pickerington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pickerington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••