Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

SNOPES: Media Quiet About Theater Shooting That Was Stopped With Gun By Off-Duty Deputy.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/sanantoni...
Oliver Twist

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

A white female killing a non-White, violent Male does not fit the liberal media template. I'm glad that Mr. Garcia is dead, cold in the grave and that this wonderful woman will be receiving a medal in her honor.

Mark one for the good guys.
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

I have no problem with people carrying weapons if they are qualified to use them.

That doesn't mean you have to be a policeman. That means anybody with a high level of proficiency.

I still say it's dangerous to encourage amateurs to walk around with weapons thinking they might one day get the chance to play hero.
VADoc

Aiken, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Well of course they won't advertise guns being used to defend citizens and prevent crimes. That doesn't fit the anti-gun agenda.

What were you expecting the media to report the news? They are in the business of reporting propaganda and nothing more.
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

VADoc wrote:
Well of course they won't advertise guns being used to defend citizens and prevent crimes. That doesn't fit the anti-gun agenda.
What were you expecting the media to report the news? They are in the business of reporting propaganda and nothing more.
After Kasich's deal to issue bonds backed by turnpike revenue to pay for road construction, there was a story in The Other Paper about how Kasich had all his ducks in order and the press releases automatically started firing after the announcement to boost public acceptance.

WHat people fail to understand is that this is all the news media does, especially on a national level. It simply regurgitates press releases from friendly parties and reprints them as gospel ... but if it's an unfriendly party they call it media manipulation.

I wish more people knew about how the media works.

==========

Kasich’s Turnpike plan: A PR symphony
Story
Comments
Image (1)
ShareShare
Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Good news travels fast:
Ohio Gov. John Kasich hired a choir to sing his turnpike-decision praises

Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:53 am
by Eric Lyttle

No matter how you feel about Ohio Gov. John Kasich personally or politically, you have to admire his ability to pound home a message.

Rarely had Kasich’s star-maker machinery revved as high as it did last Thursday—the day Kasich announced his plan for the Ohio Turnpike.

http://www.theotherpaper.com/news/article_c52...
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

More gun insanity:

Local: Maryland

MontCo school suspends 6-year-old for pretend gunshot
December 29, 2012 | 8:00 pm

A Montgomery County elementary school student was suspended for a pretend gunshot a week after Adam Lanza killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

The 6-year-old, who attends Roscoe R. Nix Elementary School in Silver Spring, made a gun with his hands, pointed it at another student and said "pow," according to Robin Ficker, the boy's attorney. He was given a one-day suspension, with a conference on the matter planned for Jan. 2, the day students return to school from winter break.

"What they're doing is looking at the worst possible interpretation of a young, naive 6-year-old," Ficker said. "This is a little child who can't form the intent to do anything like that."

According to a letter sent by Assistant Principal Renee Garraway to the child's parents, this was not the first time something like this had happened.

"Your son ... was involved in a serious incident," Garraway wrote. "[He] threatened to shoot a student. He was spoken to earlier today about a similar incident."

More:

http://goo.gl/qJksO
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Best comment to the article:

If this kid keeps his hands in his pocket he could be charged with carrying a concealed weapon

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
SNOPES: Media Quiet About Theater Shooting That Was Stopped With Gun By Off-Duty Deputy.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/sanantoni...
Apparently you didn't read the entire Snopes analysis.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
I have no problem with people carrying weapons if they are qualified to use them.
That doesn't mean you have to be a policeman. That means anybody with a high level of proficiency.
I still say it's dangerous to encourage amateurs to walk around with weapons thinking they might one day get the chance to play hero.
The article cited by Snopes (geeze, example of media coverage), said that the officer took several actions. She ordered all bystanders to get down. When the shooter came out of the rest room she ordered him to drop his weapon. Only after he refused did she shoot.

Essentially she took control of the situation, followed a series of protocols that derived from her training and experience, ensured the safety of the public first and only shot after attempting to defuse the situation.

She was not just some random person with a gun who passed a short course on gun safety. She is a highly trained and experienced professional. And she received commendation for her actions.
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
The article cited by Snopes (geeze, example of media coverage), said that the officer took several actions. She ordered all bystanders to get down. When the shooter came out of the rest room she ordered him to drop his weapon. Only after he refused did she shoot.
Essentially she took control of the situation, followed a series of protocols that derived from her training and experience, ensured the safety of the public first and only shot after attempting to defuse the situation.
She was not just some random person with a gun who passed a short course on gun safety. She is a highly trained and experienced professional. And she received commendation for her actions.
It echoes what I said in another thread about having the right kind of training AND, even more importantly, THE RIGHT PRESENCE.

Presence, as you illustrated, is also key.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Enzyte Bob wrote:
"Your son ... was involved in a serious incident," Garraway wrote. "[He] threatened to shoot a student. He was spoken to earlier today about a similar incident."
More:
http://goo.gl/qJksO
I love that part.

Yes, I am certain that there were other incidents. I am certain that this six-year-old boy is one of those who is known by name to every adult in the school. One who has the ability to really get under the skin of the average adult one way or another. Probably a genius capable of discovering a method for cold fusion is he is allowed to grow up. But for the time being, odds are that the school wishes that his family would take him somewhere else (or "fix" him so as not to be a problem any more). But, in the meantime, they just get rid of him whenever they can for one-day suspensions by overstating realities.

A six-year-old is not considered competent to understand the consequences of killing another person, and certainly not to understand why pointing a finger and saying pow is putting all the adults into a tizzy just days after something awful happened somewhere else. On the other hand, he probably either enjoys the tizzies, or is completely oblivious to them. All pretty much developmentally appropriate, by the way.

Still, annoying as hell.

So, send the kid home for a day (short enough to not draw a lot of attention--unless mom has a lawyer on her rolodex), bully mom into taking time off work to come in and sit down and hear all the details about how outraged the adults all are and how serious it is that her son doesn't understand things that are years beyond his developmental level (and to swear that all of their children, and all the other children that they have ever known certain understood how serious this is).

Somewhere, perhaps below a conscious level (although I wouldn't swear to it), the adults are hoping to annoy mom enough to find another school. Or at least they feel entitled to their one-day break from this kid who has gotten their goat.

Adults behaving badly.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

My favorite note home came from my son's kindergarten teacher. They had spent time frosting cookies for a bake sale.

The teacher explained, with clear exasperation: "He was TOLD not to lick the frosting!"
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
Somewhere, perhaps below a conscious level (although I wouldn't swear to it), the adults are hoping to annoy mom enough to find another school. Or at least they feel entitled to their one-day break from this kid who has gotten their goat.
Adults behaving badly.
That's all well and good, but how clueless are these people that a kid can't make a pretend pistol out of his hand and say "bang"? Cowboys and Indians ..... err oppressed Native Americans ... used to be a staple of childhood play.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all well and good, but how clueless are these people that a kid can't make a pretend pistol out of his hand and say "bang"? Cowboys and Indians ..... err oppressed Native Americans ... used to be a staple of childhood play.
Well, either they are pretty clueless, or that was just the proverbial straw. I am betting on the latter.

But, it's not considered cool for a professional to say, I just ran out of patience with your child today.

If only teachers and principals could just realize that some kids are far more difficult than others. Their parents don't make them that way, that is just how they come--most of the time they have brothers and sisters who don't the command the same amount of attention. Beating up on the parents, trying to "get their attention" isn't going to help, and in fact it is likely to make an enemy of the only ally available.

Yes, it looks particularly stupid in this case. But, if it wasn't the finger-gun, it would be something else, and generally becomes a power play between the school and the parents--provided the parents resist and don't just lie down and become doormats. The doormat parents' kids end up getting shuffled around, diagnosed and re-diagnosed, getting less and less education as time goes on.

This is the kind of mechanism in schools that feeds disproportionate rates of suspension for black boys and pulls down academic achievement and graduation rates.

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, either they are pretty clueless, or that was just the proverbial straw. I am betting on the latter.
But, it's not considered cool for a professional to say, I just ran out of patience with your child today.
If only teachers and principals could just realize that some kids are far more difficult than others. Their parents don't make them that way, that is just how they come--most of the time they have brothers and sisters who don't the command the same amount of attention. Beating up on the parents, trying to "get their attention" isn't going to help, and in fact it is likely to make an enemy of the only ally available.
Yes, it looks particularly stupid in this case. But, if it wasn't the finger-gun, it would be something else, and generally becomes a power play between the school and the parents--provided the parents resist and don't just lie down and become doormats. The doormat parents' kids end up getting shuffled around, diagnosed and re-diagnosed, getting less and less education as time goes on.
This is the kind of mechanism in schools that feeds disproportionate rates of suspension for black boys and pulls down academic achievement and graduation rates.
I have to disagree with the parents part.Parents are totally responsible for thier kids actions.Look at all the little thugs that are in jail now because thier parents only had them to get a bigger welfare check.I have personally seen it too many times.They dont give a crap what thier kid does as long as that money keeps coming in.
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You're starting to make sense ... and I agree they were probably fed up with the kid. But it also goes back to what I'm talking about this having become a rules-based society and people checking their common sense at the door.... Either because they don't have any common sense or because they don't want to be the victim of "corporate" politics.

CYA I think is also at play ... that's why the kids with the plastic butter knives get suspended. Sometimes I think they themselves suspend because they don't want something in their files.

I think the other issue, and this is coming from someone who went to elementary school in a 100 student school, is that schools have become large factories and that's another part of the dynamic that has resulted in the lack of a human touch in these places. I think large factories are okay in middle and high school, but elementary school should be in a small setting. Maybe that's the reason so many people feel so disenfranchised that they decide to shoot up these places.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
You're starting to make sense ... and I agree they were probably fed up with the kid. But it also goes back to what I'm talking about this having become a rules-based society and people checking their common sense at the door.... Either because they don't have any common sense or because they don't want to be the victim of "corporate" politics.
CYA I think is also at play ... that's why the kids with the plastic butter knives get suspended. Sometimes I think they themselves suspend because they don't want something in their files.
I think the other issue, and this is coming from someone who went to elementary school in a 100 student school, is that schools have become large factories and that's another part of the dynamic that has resulted in the lack of a human touch in these places. I think large factories are okay in middle and high school, but elementary school should be in a small setting. Maybe that's the reason so many people feel so disenfranchised that they decide to shoot up these places.
I used to work with an RN who oversaw my first aid function at a summer camp. Her key approach to prevention of accidents was "people do stupid things when they are angry or tired."

Some legislator comes along and mandates zero tolerance policies in schools and teachers and administrators get their hackles up. First they feel personally blamed for whatever problem the legislature was trying to solve. Then they tend to get honked off by lawmakers trying to tell them how to do their jobs.

So, the result is that they start applying the law as anally as possible--plastic butter knives and all. I remember a kid who got put off the bus because he was carrying his wooden mock rifle--used in the flag raising ceremony by his ROTC group.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Catman Dave wrote:
<quoted text>I have to disagree with the parents part.Parents are totally responsible for thier kids actions.Look at all the little thugs that are in jail now because thier parents only had them to get a bigger welfare check.I have personally seen it too many times.They dont give a crap what thier kid does as long as that money keeps coming in.
Spoken like someone who has never raised any kids.

Most families have the experience of at least one kid who needs way more supervision way longer than any of the others. And in this case we are talking about a six-year-old. There is no parent on the face of the earth who can guarantee the behavior of a six-year-old, particularly when they are not with that parent (like when they are at school).

I was hearing some interesting research on the radio. In some countries (including ours) the population is not reproducing at or above the replacement rate. Led some folks to look into what it might take to change that. Turns out that money is not a terribly effective motivator in deciding to have a child. And I believe that birth rates have been going down--even among those welfare recipients that everyone loves to hate.

Frankly, I have seen underinvolved parents at all income levels, as well as excellent parents, at all income levels.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Best comment to the article:
If this kid keeps his hands in his pocket he could be charged with carrying a concealed weapon
Our teacher made us put out hands in our pockets when we counted to ten. I had a hole in my pocket. I was the first kid in class who could count to eleven :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pickerington Discussions

Search the Pickerington Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius Resigning 42 min Neutral Party 72
Is Nevada rancher a freeloader? 3 hr Oliver Canterberry 75
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 6 hr Da juDge 1,919
Many Voters Say Obama Lies 6 hr Zoe Regen 6
Al Qaeda large gathering got away: Another Obam... 7 hr They cannot kill a Spook 3
Bored.. Is there anything fun to do in the even... 7 hr They cannot kill a Spook 3
State University Wants to be "Less White" 7 hr Big Johnson 34
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pickerington Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Pickerington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••