Officials: Redesign needed for safety

Feb 8, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: This Week Community News

Local officials say a fatal crash near the I-70/I-270 interchange last month re-emphasizes the need for safety improvements in the freeway corridor.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Feb 9, 2012
Spooktackular

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Traffic flow is what is needed to make things safer. There should never be stopped traffic because they can't merge onto 270 or off 270 and onto 70 east
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Hey Spook - remember how that stretch of road was about 10 or 15 years ago? So many lanes, so few cars. You would think with that many lanes, they would have taken the time to design the exit ramps better.

Wait - last week they didn't have money, this week we have safety issues. Smells like a press release from Corna Kokosing to me.
Spooktackular

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Hey Spook - remember how that stretch of road was about 10 or 15 years ago? So many lanes, so few cars. You would think with that many lanes, they would have taken the time to design the exit ramps better.
Wait - last week they didn't have money, this week we have safety issues. Smells like a press release from Corna Kokosing to me.
Just Kokosing, the Corna Kokosing does buildings not hiways. More likely CH2M Hill, URS, or M E but if one of CH2M Hill designs are chosen expect sharp curves and ramps with stop lights no merge lanes on exit ramps.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Spooktackular wrote:
<quoted text>
Just Kokosing, the Corna Kokosing does buildings not hiways. More likely CH2M Hill, URS, or M E but if one of CH2M Hill designs are chosen expect sharp curves and ramps with stop lights no merge lanes on exit ramps.
I meant the contractor Kokosing or Shelly & Sands, but you're right it could have been the PR department of one of the engineering firms. I didn't know ME did freeway designs.
sidekick

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Spooktackular wrote:
<quoted text>
I read a couple articles that said part of these project's will have art work(kinda like that waste of money on 71s by Greenlawn), that ODOT contracted out. For some reason, that was a big issue with how they went about the spending,(ICR).
When i drove down south (towards S. Carolina), i don't think i seen any freeway ramps groomed as we do here in Columbus (Tuttle Crossing, Polaris, Muirfield, etc.) with landscape and artwork.
So Anyway, Whatever company that gets these job's, always has job security in my opinion.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
I read a couple articles that said part of these project's will have art work(kinda like that waste of money on 71s by Greenlawn), that ODOT contracted out. For some reason, that was a big issue with how they went about the spending,(ICR).
When i drove down south (towards S. Carolina), i don't think i seen any freeway ramps groomed as we do here in Columbus (Tuttle Crossing, Polaris, Muirfield, etc.) with landscape and artwork.
So Anyway, Whatever company that gets these job's, always has job security in my opinion.
I disagree with you there. It doesn't take much to make a freeway aesthetically pleasing. Compare I-77 in North Carolina, which I think is pretty nice because all the freeways are lined with trees. The minute you hit South Carolina, it's like you've entered another world. Likewise with I-471 when you cross over from Cincinnati into Kentucky. You don't have to do anything fancy, just be sympathetic enough to aesthetics to plant some trees.

Ohio freeways mostly look like South Carolina. The I-270/Ohio 161 interchange near New Albany looks like someone on drugs designed that. Was it really that important to have an exit directly onto Sunbury Road and at Little Turtle?

The landscaping at Tuttle was paid for with private money. Likewise at Easton.
Spooktackular

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with you there. It doesn't take much to make a freeway aesthetically pleasing. Compare I-77 in North Carolina, which I think is pretty nice because all the freeways are lined with trees. The minute you hit South Carolina, it's like you've entered another world. Likewise with I-471 when you cross over from Cincinnati into Kentucky. You don't have to do anything fancy, just be sympathetic enough to aesthetics to plant some trees.
Ohio freeways mostly look like South Carolina. The I-270/Ohio 161 interchange near New Albany looks like someone on drugs designed that. Was it really that important to have an exit directly onto Sunbury Road and at Little Turtle?
I have no problem with trees, place far enough back to never be an issue with snow/ ice bringing down on the road / ramps. If a sound wall is to be placed it would be better to have a dirt mound and thuji green giant or similar arborvite.

Waste is what pisses me off. Look at the bike/ walking bridge south of Hamilton rd on US 33. spent big bucks on the archs in each section and didn't paint it, not even with some red or brown primer.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Spooktackular wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with trees, place far enough back to never be an issue with snow/ ice bringing down on the road / ramps. If a sound wall is to be placed it would be better to have a dirt mound and thuji green giant or similar arborvite.
Waste is what pisses me off. Look at the bike/ walking bridge south of Hamilton rd on US 33. spent big bucks on the archs in each section and didn't paint it, not even with some red or brown primer.
You don't have to do much. I-471 just has trees planted in the median. The median is elevated with concrete dividers on each side, kind of like what you see on US 62 when before you enter Gahanna. When I was in Vegas, I noticed how nice all the main thoroughfares are, even in the less expensive areas. I know this stuff doesn't come cheap, but I think it's worth it. Compare Upper Arlington to Hamilton Road. If someone had thought about making Hamilton Road nice 40 years ago, it might not be a dump today.

As to the bike trails, I don't know the answer to this one. I like to bike, and I will be using that bridge once they finish the path from Tussing Road to Portman Park probably a few times a week. I think amenities are what keeps your city nice. It's too bad these trails don't go anywhere, though.

I understand the money/waste aspect, though. I have no answer other than to say, you need amenities otherwise the city becomes a dump like Harrisburg Pike. I like the bike trails, but whether they are worth it or not, you can never say until you are writing your own check out to build them.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll donate money to complete the trail from Reynoldsburg to New Albany, though.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to do much. I-471 just has trees planted in the median. The median is elevated with concrete dividers on each side, kind of like what you see on US 62 when before you enter Gahanna. When I was in Vegas, I noticed how nice all the main thoroughfares are, even in the less expensive areas. I know this stuff doesn't come cheap, but I think it's worth it. Compare Upper Arlington to Hamilton Road. If someone had thought about making Hamilton Road nice 40 years ago, it might not be a dump today.
As to the bike trails, I don't know the answer to this one. I like to bike, and I will be using that bridge once they finish the path from Tussing Road to Portman Park probably a few times a week. I think amenities are what keeps your city nice. It's too bad these trails don't go anywhere, though.
I understand the money/waste aspect, though. I have no answer other than to say, you need amenities otherwise the city becomes a dump like Harrisburg Pike. I like the bike trails, but whether they are worth it or not, you can never say until you are writing your own check out to build them.
If I ever win the lottery, I'll donate money to complete the trail from Reynoldsburg to New Albany, though.
Okay, are you a lawyer, insurance agent, roadway engineer, CPA, Lance Armstrong, or tree hugger?
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, are you a lawyer, insurance agent, roadway engineer, CPA, Lance Armstrong, or tree hugger?
Tip claims I sell insurance. I'm a Lawyer (previous CPA) who has a huge interest in real estate and urban planning. It's an odd passion to have, but retail real estate has always been my first passion. Just started biking again over the last few years after about a 20 year hiatus. Not a tree hugger by any means, but do appreciate beauty. No reason to allow people to create things that become automatic dumps in the future.
sidekick

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Tip claims I sell insurance. I'm a Lawyer (previous CPA) who has a huge interest in real estate and urban planning. It's an odd passion to have, but retail real estate has always been my first passion. Just started biking again over the last few years after about a 20 year hiatus. Not a tree hugger by any means, but do appreciate beauty. No reason to allow people to create things that become automatic dumps in the future.
Damn....I thought if "you" were riding a bike on a path you engineered and hit another cyclist, you could defend yourself and sue the insurance company (that you own), for punitive damages, in which, you get paid for greatly due to your accident.
sidekick

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree..I was only talking about the waste of money on the Greenlawn wall. It was not bidded for the plus it was done wrong once, which needed the job redone.. if i remember right...something like that.
Of course it looks better than some guy begging for money, with a pile of wine bottle's next to the fence.(Broad & Central @ 70w), It is about $800.00 a week to just mow them sort of exit ramps, which i think gives Columbus a bit of flare to visitor's from out of state. I also think illinois had quit a few glamore exit too.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree..I was only talking about the waste of money on the Greenlawn wall. It was not bidded for the plus it was done wrong once, which needed the job redone.. if i remember right...something like that.
Of course it looks better than some guy begging for money, with a pile of wine bottle's next to the fence.(Broad & Central @ 70w), It is about $800.00 a week to just mow them sort of exit ramps, which i think gives Columbus a bit of flare to visitor's from out of state. I also think illinois had quit a few glamore exit too.
When I was in Denver, they seemed to be doing the same kind of concrete "art" along their freeways. I'm a guy who is pretty tight, but I also appreciate beauty. I don't think you go wrong by throwing money at making things look a little nicer (within reason).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pickerington Discussions

Search the Pickerington Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Talking Of Electric Handpieces 1 hr medorder 1
angela james 2 hr UwishUKnew 1
Man shot during chase with deputy | The Columbu... (Aug '10) 3 hr ohsssffizzfirPAIN 38
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 hr Old Guy 30,160
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 6 hr Bowens 2,268
Where Do MIA Threads Go? 6 hr sidekick 11
ISIS beheads James Foley 7 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 16
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pickerington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••