St. Eleanor's priest on the list of 2...

St. Eleanor's priest on the list of 21 suspended by Philly Archdiocese

Posted in the Phoenixville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A Parent

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Mar 11, 2011
First, Vito Granieri - Mr. G "The Candy Man" molests young boys at the school and now this ....

What the heck is going on here at St. Eleanor's parish?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20...
AROD

Wayne, PA

#2 Mar 12, 2011
A Parent wrote:
First, Vito Granieri - Mr. G "The Candy Man" molests young boys at the school and now this ....
What the heck is going on here at St. Eleanor's parish?
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20...
I think the bigger, and more appropriate question, is what is/has been going on with the Catholic Church? From all the problems here in the U.S., to the craziness in Ireland and elsewhere, the Catholic Church seems to care more about shielding their priests and their reputation, instead of protecting the innocent. I was raised Catholic, and the whole thing disgusts me. What sickens me the most is how recent the coverups have occurred. I would have almost expected it in the distant past, but lots of these coverups have occurred well in the 2000's. It is disgusting.

It also amazes me how people, as well as the Church, are pushing so hard to speed Pope John Paul II for sainthood. I understand he did a lot, but lets not forget, that lots of these sickening acts occurred while he was Pope. That is enough, in my eyes, to stop him from ever becoming a Saint.
John from Oaks

Paoli, PA

#3 Mar 14, 2011
St. Eleanor's is my family's church.

The priest in question, Rev. Robert W. Povish, was a "cleric of St. Eleanor's Rectory" and chaplain of Graterford State Correctional Institute. I don't think he actually celebrated mass at St. Eleanor's - I think he was just resident there. They made the announcement about him during Ash Wednesday services.

Here's another news article:
http://montgomerynews.com/articles/2011/03/14...
Concerned Parent

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Mar 14, 2011
If you have any doubts about this read the grand jury reports froom 2005 & 2011. They are HORRIFIC!!! I was sick after reading them. You can't make this stuff up. It is much too disturbing.

Was Fr Povish alone with altar servers before mass?

Was he allowed to say confessions to children?

You have to wonder.

John from Oaks, yes he did say mass at SES.
backseat

Spring City, PA

#5 Mar 15, 2011
weirdo's
Alfred

Wayne, PA

#6 Mar 15, 2011
Fr. Povish offered the daily 6:30 AM Mass. There are no kids at the 6:30 Mass and men act as altar servers.
Typically, Povish said 1 Mass on SUN. Ever see the sacristy and narthex prior to SUN Mass? It's a zoo with lectors, Eucharistic Ministers, greeters, & women selling script running all over the place.
When SE priests hear children's confessions, they mostly do so in the main church - out in the open -partially because of logistics but mostly because of priests' fears of being unjustly accused.
The 2011 grand jury report was definitely horrific & one or more cardinals probably mishandled the situation. Did they not listen to their attorneys? Do they have stupid attorneys? We'll soon know, won't we?
It's time for the 'victims' to be identified and cross-examined. Those who were harmed should be financially compensated (big time!!!).
Simultaneously, innocent priests should not be thrown under the bus. Only the "haters" out there would disagree with this last statement. And, there ARE a lot of haters out there.
Ginger

Wayne, PA

#7 Mar 17, 2011
Clearly none of you are really practicing Catholics at St. Eleanors. Fr. Povish did say mass, and not just at the 6.30 am. I don't even go every week but I have seen him on a regular basis. If you went to Mass on even a semi-regular basis you would know that. Oh, and concerned parent, did they release the report that speaks of Fr. Povish because I was under the impression that they did not. And "a parent" where did you here that something happened to a St. Eleanor child? I would be one of the first people to say hang him, if I had actual facts, really any facts, but there are no facts out there unless you know something more than the rest of us. If you do please clue us all in. Otherwise I think you are taking the opportunity to church bash.
Suzanne O

Royersford, PA

#8 Mar 18, 2011
Ginger you need to get a reality check. All Catholic churches should be bashed. Why is more of this horrible, disgustinginfo coming out NOW when it should have ALL been Revealed years ago!!! THAT IS A FACT! The reason - their handling of this is an example of how " their business" is run. I stopped being a Catholic years ago because of this and I will never regret it. Despicable people.
AROD

Wayne, PA

#9 Mar 18, 2011
I think the Church's hierarchy should definitely be bashed. The covered this all up over the years, and their actions/inaction led to many innocent children being victimized. It is disgusting and for me personally, something that is unforgivable.

In terms of the individual priests, they too disgust me. I think one must not forget, however, that these sickos are just a very, very small minority of all priests in general. Let's not cast a bad light on all priests.
I hear you

Raleigh, NC

#10 Mar 18, 2011
“If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come!"
Brenda

Wayne, PA

#11 Mar 18, 2011
Suzanne O I will pray for you. Something bad must have happened to you for you to turn away from the church and basically call the Catholic Church and all Catholics evil. I hope you go to some church, whatever denomination, because if you don't believe in God what do you have? There are bad people in every church, school, court, government office etc. And cover ups in all these places too. I understand what Ginger is saying. Maybe before convicting these people we should be able to see what they are accused of. It reminds me kind of like those day care people that were accused of molesting and then years later they were pardoned. However, even then we knew what they were accused of. I haven't seen a single accusation, just that they were mentioned in the Grand Jury report. I don't want to accuse someone of something that I don't even know what I am accusing them of. I think Ginger was just saying that we need more information.
Suzanne O

Royersford, PA

#12 Mar 18, 2011
Save your prayers for someone else Brenda. Something bad didn't happen to me. SOMEONE bad happened to many, many little boys when they were RAPED by priests and other priests knew and covered it up for years and years and until this very day. These were individuals LEADING the church involved in this coverup...that is the essence of the church. In the least there is no integrity.
I do believe in God but I will never ever set foot in that disgrace of a church again. How can any priest even live with themselves knowing to this day how this tradegy continues to he handled. It's disgusting. Their actions speak for themselves.
I cannot even believe for one second you would think these men coming forward right now aren't telling the truth about being raped by priests. Child molester priests were moved from parish to parish to cover it up, never once did anyone go to authorities. It's unspeakable. You are in denial, defending sick, destructive people who've robbed these children now adults of a happy childhood. The ultimate betrayal - a priest so called man of God raping an innocent child and everyone turning their heads.
Go ahead, continue to support them. Sick.
parent

Wayne, PA

#13 Mar 19, 2011
Ginger wrote:
Clearly none of you are really practicing Catholics at St. Eleanors. Fr. Povish did say mass, and not just at the 6.30 am. I don't even go every week but I have seen him on a regular basis. If you went to Mass on even a semi-regular basis you would know that. Oh, and concerned parent, did they release the report that speaks of Fr. Povish because I was under the impression that they did not. And "a parent" where did you here that something happened to a St. Eleanor child? I would be one of the first people to say hang him, if I had actual facts, really any facts, but there are no facts out there unless you know something more than the rest of us. If you do please clue us all in. Otherwise I think you are taking the opportunity to church bash.
Everyone is not Catholic bashing. Fr. Povish was placed on leave for a reason to protect innocent children. Read this article.
http://phoenixville.patch.com/articles/cathol...
TCM

United States

#14 Mar 20, 2011
Yes the scandal is horrific, and perhaps the cover up is the greater sin. But scandal has always and will always exist. To all the "Catholics" who have left the Church. Good. You are all the liberals who don't have any real faith anyway. Just because evil men did evil acts does not mean that Christ didn't become incarnate suffered and died and established the one true Church on St Peter and his successors. If you allow the actions of evil men to turn you against Holy Mother Church then leave. Yes what happened is horrible but also remember the media dosen''t care about children being hurt they are trying to destroy the Church and the priesthood. Now they are saying celibacy and non married clergy is the problem. The majority of pediphiles are married men, I don't think a wife is what a pediphile is looking for. It's a mental disorder. Why are so called "Catholics" the first to turn on the Church. Amazing. You should be praying as hard as much as possible for all involved not turning your back and leaving. That's an excuse but go ahead and leave. Actualluy the Masses have been much more pleasant since people started leave. There is less nonsense going on in church, there is more quiet and time to pray. It's actually getting nicer without the loud sillines of the liberals.
AROD

Wayne, PA

#15 Mar 20, 2011
TCM wrote:
Yes the scandal is horrific, and perhaps the cover up is the greater sin. But scandal has always and will always exist. To all the "Catholics" who have left the Church. Good. You are all the liberals who don't have any real faith anyway. Just because evil men did evil acts does not mean that Christ didn't become incarnate suffered and died and established the one true Church on St Peter and his successors. If you allow the actions of evil men to turn you against Holy Mother Church then leave. Yes what happened is horrible but also remember the media dosen''t care about children being hurt they are trying to destroy the Church and the priesthood. Now they are saying celibacy and non married clergy is the problem. The majority of pediphiles are married men, I don't think a wife is what a pediphile is looking for. It's a mental disorder. Why are so called "Catholics" the first to turn on the Church. Amazing. You should be praying as hard as much as possible for all involved not turning your back and leaving. That's an excuse but go ahead and leave. Actualluy the Masses have been much more pleasant since people started leave. There is less nonsense going on in church, there is more quiet and time to pray. It's actually getting nicer without the loud sillines of the liberals.
Always good to see a righteous religious person with only love in their heart, lol.
The majority of people are not out to destroy the Church. They are disgusted and not wanting their money to support the corruptness and truly disgusting men of the Church who covered this all up.

The guilty priests disgust me, but I think I am more disgusted with the Cardinals, Bishops and Popes that covered it all up. They are supposedly not "mentally ill" like the pedophiles, yet they still knowingly covered all these horrible acts up for their own self interest and the self interest of the Church. No care for the poor victims and no concern that they were making the problem worse and causing so many more poor victims to needlessly suffer. Truly disgusting.
I hear you

Reading, PA

#16 Mar 20, 2011
TCM wrote:
To all the "Catholics" who have left the Church. Good. You are all the liberals who don't have any real faith anyway. Just because evil men did evil acts does not mean that Christ didn't become incarnate suffered and died and established the one true Church on St Peter and his successors.
TCM
You are truly clueless.
Explain the message of the crucifixion to us wise sage.
Suzanne O

Royersford, PA

#17 Mar 20, 2011
To Tcm,
you say, "yes, what happened is horrible but..." There are No "buts". Stop invalidating the truth. Then in your next breath you blame the damn media. Step back, put your bible down and spread out all of the facts....what do you see? The truth I hope. Do you get it? It's about taking responsibilty for what this whole thing is and what it's done. It's no stinking media conspiracy. In the end you may be able to continue to support your Catholic institution/business but as for me I cannot. Their actions have spoken louder than any of their words ever will.
Suzanne O

Royersford, PA

#18 Mar 20, 2011
ARIADne, you are spot on.
Suzanne O

Royersford, PA

#19 Mar 21, 2011
Suzanne O wrote:
ARIADne, you are spot on.
that was supposed to be AROD
I hear you

Raleigh, NC

#20 Mar 21, 2011
I see everyone has figured out how the "judge" the posts, no suprise there, but few can actually respond.
Shameful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Phoenixville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Townhouse open house 10/13/18 Oct 11 Courtney 1
News Cosby has several avenues to appeal conviction ... Sep 26 Double 07 from mi... 1
Collegeville Music Thread (May '12) Aug '18 Musikologist 23
Dont hire this scumbag (Feb '18) Jun '18 test 3
News Pottstown took on the YMCA - and won. They're s... Jun '18 The Bible 3
News Chartwell Accountant Sentenced for Embezzling F... (Apr '18) Apr '18 Troll from Retail... 1
Review: JCF Construction (Mar '15) Feb '18 Mark 6

Phoenixville Jobs

Personal Finance

Phoenixville Mortgages