Next Last
rocky dog

Spring City, PA

#1 Feb 14, 2010
why are royersford streets so crummy
menu21

Royersford, PA

#2 Feb 14, 2010
I must agree.. it seem's that they didn't even bother to touch any of the side street's..like church st to 7th and 7th to oak st and walnut st.. some of them are one lane now! What's up with that?!
Rofo for life

Folsom, PA

#3 Feb 15, 2010
I must agree but where do you put almost 4 feet of snow. Also I was traveling through town and watched people shovel out there cars and other stuff and through the snow in the street. As some one that plows it is really hard to try and not bury cars and driveways especially when there is that much snow. Royersford's limited snow budget might have a lot to do with it. The December storm they actually did a very decent job compared to years past. My actual complaint with Royersford is with the corners, if you look at other areas in the SF district they push the corners back. But Limerick and Upper Providence have much larger budgets, equipment and people. Royersford only has something like 6 guys all plowing in their 2 big 6 wheel trucks and several smaller trucks. The more major roads in the Boro like Washington are snow emergency routes. Walnut street isnt but even when there isnt alot of snow it is tight. The people on the 500 block of Walnut actually all worked together and dug out all their cars back to the curb with out putting any snow in the street. I have a real problem with when the side that people have to park on the snow emergency roads end up with all the snow and then the other side is pushed back to the curb. It would be nice to get them set up a time when that other side could be pushed back to the curb. But that is when the budget comes into play. When you dont have a lot of money you cant pay to do that extra work. I know that Limerick and Upper Providence both had their crews pushing snow from the time that the first snow started to fall from the first storm through Thursday afternoon. Now I actually live in Upper Providence and they actually were pushing snow back to the curbs/grass line during the whole storm. They actually kept up with the storm a lot better then I would have thought anyone could. Also you have to remember that pushing snow is very hard on equipment and the guys doing it. If a truck breaks sometimes it could take hours maybe even days to get it fixed. People think it is easy to push snow all day and night, but it isnt especially when you cant see at times when the snow is falling heavy. At night when all you see is white and nothing else is very hard. Sitting in those trucks for hours after hours starts to take a toll. Remember this the first storm fell on a Friday into Saturday so Royersford had to pay overtime from Friday through whenevey Royersford got done on Sunday afternoon. Then Monday those same guys had to pick up trash on the one side of town then turn around and do it on the other on Tuesday. Then it started snowwing late that night. Then with all the time from Sunday, Tuesday night after 4pm till 7am Wednesday and then from Wednesday after 4pm till 7am Thursday was all overtime then those same guys contintued work all day Thursday and Friday. Now Royersford doesnt pay that great but that overtime adds up after a while. Now if that storm happened this weekend 3 days would all be overtime at time and half and double time for the holiday. I am really surprised by the number of Hydrants that are still buried in snow that the residents near them never shoveled out. Considering all the snow that we received last week I think we should actually tell out road crews good job. Plowwing roads is a thankless job trust. I have been yelled at by home owners and other people when pushing snow back in developments to the curb and you bury their driveway.
Been There

East Mansfield, MA

#4 Feb 15, 2010
Royersford's streets managers is a very experienced streets manager. I am sure he is doing the best with the crew he has.

The twin boros both lack enforecement of their ordiances. SC is no better. Throw snow back on the street? FINE THEM! THAT would pay for some OVERTIME!

Not budgeting for snow is no excuse for a borough not to do the work anyway.

Too much snow? Loaders and dump trucks, just like West Chester does. Again, there are very few acceptable excuses.

SC does not enforce snow emergency routes as evident on Main St and Chestnut St. That is the side of the street where they push the snow to...but yet...cars have been parking on that side since before the storm. On my block of the snow route...Cars CANNOT park there still, because that is where the snow is piled...

Since: Feb 10

Royersford, PA

#5 Feb 15, 2010
I think it might be a residences/parking/code enforcing issue. I know up here towards the 9th and 10th side of town our streets are clear and dry, but there wasn't a single car on Main (Can't park here), or 9th. They were out in force, both rofo plows and PENNDOT plows, but again, where do you put all that snow? We have 6' wide snowbanks where there should only be 1' of curb... it does pose some issues. And I have seen multiple people just launch snow into the street, and not just in rofo. My guess is that the streets were clear, then people just started to shovel out their cars and dumped it into the streets.

For yours and others safety, please adopt a Fire Hydrant! Shovel it out! It could be your life that is saved! Help with runoff, find that storm drain and clear it! It can prevent water from coming into your basement!
Bob F

Reading, PA

#6 Feb 15, 2010
People complain well, that is well known. People do not help solve problems. Everybody shovels into the street, then it is the city's problem, and they better not push it back in their yard, that's a call to complain! Can;t raise taxes so they can budget for snow removal, can't charge an assessment when the budget gets blown. All people will accept is something for nothing and more complaining.
Come on

Royersford, PA

#7 Feb 16, 2010
It's the most snow in one winter, and most of it occurred in a weeks time. Things are not going to be perfect. Just drive slow. You can handle that for a couple of weeks. Rofo does not budget for this, b/c it doesn't make sense to budget for these kind of conditions that occur once every 50 years. Thanks to all the guys and girls out there working hard to keep the area as clean as they can.
WHAT

Royersford, PA

#8 Feb 16, 2010
Come on wrote:
It's the most snow in one winter, and most of it occurred in a weeks time. Things are not going to be perfect. Just drive slow. You can handle that for a couple of weeks. Rofo does not budget for this, b/c it doesn't make sense to budget for these kind of conditions that occur once every 50 years. Thanks to all the guys and girls out there working hard to keep the area as clean as they can.
This is still no excuse for not doing what it takes to get the job done.

If that was correct thinking....Louisiana would still be a barren wasteland...or the Pentagon in ruins....
just another day

Collegeville, PA

#9 Feb 17, 2010
I was in a boro a few years ago and right this minute I don't remember where it was. but they used an industrial sized funnel over a sewer line , they packed with funnel with snow and had a heating element (hobachi) warming the bottom of the funnel. The snow melted and went right into the sewer. I think it may have been a neighborhood project where they just took the problem into their own hands to try to resolve the problem... But ingenious I thought.
Rofo for life

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Feb 17, 2010
I would imagine that it was just neighbors considering it is illegal to dumb snow into the river. When Philly did it they dumbed so much snow into the river that it started backing up. Also with all the salt mixed being dumbed in so much at one time it raised the salt water levels in the river it killed fish. If every town along the river did this it would do the same things. I have a great idea Royersford should send out letter telling people that we will be on your street with loaders, back hoes, and dumb trucks to clear the streets to the curb and corners. They could give them a time and day that they would be on there block. That way people could move their cars and help shoveling around hydrants and at driveways/ handicap entrances. But this costs money as well as other services that Royersford provides such as policing, fire protection, and other road work. These things cost money that is why taxes went up. Also taxes went up because there are so many multifamily homes/apartments in the boro. So offset the cost of that they had to raise taxes on property owners. Maybe Royersford should try and bring some big time industry back to Royersford at one of their many run down industrial parks to help offset the costs. Upper Providence is set up the Pharmaindustries make up the cost of no township tax. Look at how well they did with snow removal.
Come on

Royersford, PA

#11 Feb 17, 2010
WHAT wrote:
<quoted text>
This is still no excuse for not doing what it takes to get the job done.
If that was correct thinking....Louisiana would still be a barren wasteland...or the Pentagon in ruins....
WHAT, You're an idiot. Much of Lousiana is still a mess 4 years later. And Really? You're going to compare the Pentagon's budget and fixing the building, to Royersford's snow removal issues, which really aren't that bad. Get some perspective.
WHAT

Royersford, PA

#12 Feb 17, 2010
Come on wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT, You're an idiot. Much of Lousiana is still a mess 4 years later. And Really? You're going to compare the Pentagon's budget and fixing the building, to Royersford's snow removal issues, which really aren't that bad. Get some perspective.
Run for office then! Your apathy will fit right in. It is not about budgets. It is about doing the right thing. Any job worth doing is worth doing right. They don't fix half of your engine if you are needing a complete rebuild...

Idiot?, nice!
poppy 123

Spring City, PA

#13 Feb 18, 2010
why does spring ford need to steal more land for no good reason
just another day

Collegeville, PA

#14 Feb 18, 2010
I just saw on the news that someone tried to melt snow with a blow torch and almost burn his house as well as his neighbors so I guess melting it ws not a good idea. ps. why is it illegal to dump snow into the river.. thats where it goes in the end anyway, doesn't it.?
MaryLou

Pottstown, PA

#15 Feb 22, 2010
In all my years in Royersford, I have never seen the town such a mess after a big snow. Main Street used to be clean down to the blacktop and to the curbs, all during and after a storm - no matter how bad the storm. And I always walked to Allen's during and after the storm, so I know. What is this about stealing land for no good reason? Poppy 123 makes no sense.
Toothless Wonder

Malvern, PA

#16 Feb 24, 2010
Hey poppy 123, what's the matter with flintstone
he's alright
poppy 123

Spring City, PA

#17 Feb 24, 2010
w hat? toothless wonder do live on top of a mountian where air is thin
Hammer Toe Chicken

Malvern, PA

#18 Feb 25, 2010
Hey poppy 123, wait until we get the snow from this storm on top of the old stuff, it will be
CHAOS to say the least
poppy 123

Spring City, PA

#19 Feb 25, 2010
good job rofo streets look great
Europe

Malvern, PA

#20 Feb 25, 2010
Dan miller doens't need chairs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Phoenixville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 3 hr Sad 51,485
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 6 hr Don Rumsfeld 3,995
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) Sep 15 Jeremy 183
Smaller suburbs like Honey Brook work to revita... Sep 3 Brooker Wood 1
Basement water damage from overhead pipe leak (Dec '08) Aug 28 Seth Ashford 9
Collegeville Music Thread (May '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 17
Providence Town Center-Phase 2 (Mar '10) Aug '14 beanzalo1 291
•••

Phoenixville News Video

•••
•••

Phoenixville Jobs

•••
•••
•••