Request made to make parks smoke-free

Request made to make parks smoke-free

There are 302 comments on the The Inter-Mountain story from Jul 5, 2012, titled Request made to make parks smoke-free. In it, The Inter-Mountain reports that:

Joyce Harris-Thacker, representing a number of Upshur County agencies, recently appeared before the Buckhannon City Council to discuss the Tobacco Free Zones program.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Inter-Mountain.

just me

Searcy, AR

#271 Jul 19, 2012
helpful hints wrote:
<quoted text>Ignore him. He is a troll.
this is true!
Anon

Fairmont, WV

#272 Jul 19, 2012
Privatize the parks. Then it becomes an issue of property rights. Same as if I don't want you smoking in my house, if I want my park smoke-free, sobeit. If you and your friends love to smoke, patronize another park or, better yet, create your own where everyone is encouraged to smoke. Everyone wins.
ItsAFact

Clarksville, MD

#273 Jul 19, 2012
helpful hints aka chicken little wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignore him. He is a troll.
You shouldn't be pointing any of your poop stained fingers at anyone.
Science Is Proven

Morgantown, WV

#274 Jul 19, 2012
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
one is me doing it to myself, the other is someone else harming me who shouldn't have a right to do so. I've seen plenty of studies that says second hand smoke DOES harm other people.
Well, as I said, move three feet away and you'll be good, after it's outside! Besides that, none of your "studies" can prove that outside second hand smoke has ever cause anyone any problems. In fact, they can't even prove that inside second hand smoke has caused any problems, it's all speculation! They ignore everything else that can cause the same issues when someone is smoking in the same area...it's an easier target, rather than radon gas, or formaldehyde. Hell, diet soda when ingested turns into formaldehyde.....this is a chemical that was outlawed for the use of embalming the dead because it was so dangerous to be around, but yet it's used in everything inside of your house.
Science Is Proven

Morgantown, WV

#275 Jul 19, 2012
just me wrote:
<quoted text> you can't do without a cigarette long enough for your kids to enjoy a park? And why is it that smokers think the nonsmokers should be the one that should make accommodations for their nasty habit? The person who should be inconvenienced by your nasty habit is you!
If I'm going to go to the park, it's not going to be for an hour...it would be longer than that....so no, I wouldn't go that long without one simply because I'm not cruel like you are! Your suggesting I wait till they would be stuck in the vehicle with me....which is even worse. Just how would you be accommodating me and my nasty habit? Where did I say you should do that? I simply said that if you don't want to be around it then you could step three feet away....it's all your choice. I know that if I don't want to be around something....I'm not, but then again...I have some common sense. Just so you know, smokers are very inconvenienced as it is...in fact, it's almost to the point where lawsuits could be filed for segregation. But that's okay....you just keep on being Anti-American and continue to keep on taking away all of our freedoms. You won't be happy until you have complete control of everyone's actions....of coarse "it's for our own good"!

Since: Jun 12

Etobicoke, Canada

#276 Jul 19, 2012
Science Is Proven wrote:
<quoted text>If I'm going to go to the park, it's not going to be for an hour...it would be longer than that....so no, I wouldn't go that long without one simply because I'm not cruel like you are! Your suggesting I wait till they would be stuck in the vehicle with me....which is even worse. Just how would you be accommodating me and my nasty habit? Where did I say you should do that? I simply said that if you don't want to be around it then you could step three feet away....it's all your choice. I know that if I don't want to be around something....I'm not, but then again...I have some common sense. Just so you know, smokers are very inconvenienced as it is...in fact, it's almost to the point where lawsuits could be filed for segregation. But that's okay....you just keep on being Anti-American and continue to keep on taking away all of our freedoms. You won't be happy until you have complete control of everyone's actions....of coarse "it's for our own good"!
They are just about there with the green rollover adds within your comments???????
2 posts removed
just me

Searcy, AR

#279 Jul 20, 2012
Science Is Proven wrote:
<quoted text>If I'm going to go to the park, it's not going to be for an hour...it would be longer than that....so no, I wouldn't go that long without one simply because I'm not cruel like you are! Your suggesting I wait till they would be stuck in the vehicle with me....which is even worse. Just how would you be accommodating me and my nasty habit? Where did I say you should do that? I simply said that if you don't want to be around it then you could step three feet away....it's all your choice. I know that if I don't want to be around something....I'm not, but then again...I have some common sense. Just so you know, smokers are very inconvenienced as it is...in fact, it's almost to the point where lawsuits could be filed for segregation. But that's okay....you just keep on being Anti-American and continue to keep on taking away all of our freedoms. You won't be happy until you have complete control of everyone's actions....of coarse "it's for our own good"!
I'm not suggesting anything! How am I cruel? I'm not the one with a nasty smoking habit. You're the one that should have I walk away, not me. Smokers are the ones that should be inconvenienced, they are the ones that have the habit. I don't care if you smoke or not! I think you should have some manners and not light up around children. Surely you don't smoke in a car with your children! I am perfectly happy! I have several smokers in my family. They just have manners and don't light up next to anyone. I don't expect anyone who smokes not to smoke in their home because we are there, it's their home.
Anon

Fairmont, WV

#280 Jul 21, 2012
@just me,

You just hit on something important when you said " I don't expect anyone who smokes not to smoke in their home because we are there, it's their home."

If we privatize the parks, like I suggested above, it would be the decision of the person who owns the park. Then smokers and non-smokers would patronize the park that caters to their desires.
1 post removed
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#282 Jul 25, 2012
Anon wrote:
Privatize the parks. Then it becomes an issue of property rights. Same as if I don't want you smoking in my house, if I want my park smoke-free, sobeit. If you and your friends love to smoke, patronize another park or, better yet, create your own where everyone is encouraged to smoke. Everyone wins.
Fire hazard would become an issue. The threat to the larger community would lead to shutting down the "lets all smoke" folks.
resident

Vinton, VA

#283 Jul 27, 2012
I DO NOT SMOKE wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are. But I STILL thank you because your attitude is what makes it easy to get bans passed. Heck, even a tobacco growing state like NC has no respect for smokers. So keep smoking them even when you know it is bothering other people. Keep tossing your butts on the ground. But don't bitch when we turn around and do something about it.
By the way, MOST smokers abide by the bans. People like you cause us to put more teeth into the existing bans.
You, my friend, are an over controlling asshole!! This is my town, has been my whole life. I go to the parks, and I do smoke in them...and will continue to do so...and I will bitch and bitch and bitch some more if the ban goes into effect...i will take it on a personal level and am going to find out who it was to install the stupid bans in the first place! I don't bother people with my smoke either, anyone I have ever witnessed smoking in any parks around here move away from groups of people and children to do so...so why put a ban on it.....to CONTROL! The least any of you assholes could have considered was making a "smoking section" But all you are thinking about is yourselves....SELFISH!!! AND IGNORANT!! People who smoke are more than aware that it is harmful to do so...so all of those ignorant posts are not necessary...I hope you could have thought about that before posting them....hhmmm
Science Is Proven

Morgantown, WV

#284 Jul 27, 2012
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not suggesting anything! How am I cruel? I'm not the one with a nasty smoking habit. You're the one that should have I walk away, not me. Smokers are the ones that should be inconvenienced, they are the ones that have the habit. I don't care if you smoke or not! I think you should have some manners and not light up around children. Surely you don't smoke in a car with your children! I am perfectly happy! I have several smokers in my family. They just have manners and don't light up next to anyone. I don't expect anyone who smokes not to smoke in their home because we are there, it's their home.
I cannot continue a conversation with such ignorance and greed!!! I'll bet your a religious person also...if not, you may have missed your calling, because you sure as hell sound like one. Unlike you, I am for Freedom, Equality, Living Life to the Fullest, and Free Will! You are obviously against all of the above, and nothing you do will ever control Nature! We will all eventually die of something someday, despite what we expose ourselves too! However, I wish you luck with your quest for an eternal life....your going to need all of it you can get!
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#285 Jul 28, 2012
resident wrote:
The least any of you assholes could have considered was making a "smoking section" But all you are thinking about is yourselves....SELFISH!!!
Hmmm...
just me

Searcy, AR

#286 Jul 28, 2012
Science Is Proven wrote:
<quoted text>I cannot continue a conversation with such ignorance and greed!!! I'll bet your a religious person also...if not, you may have missed your calling, because you sure as hell sound like one. Unlike you, I am for Freedom, Equality, Living Life to the Fullest, and Free Will! You are obviously against all of the above, and nothing you do will ever control Nature! We will all eventually die of something someday, despite what we expose ourselves too! However, I wish you luck with your quest for an eternal life....your going to need all of it you can get!
you are religious? What about your body being a temple? Do into others? Respect for each other?
There are people allergic to the ingredients in smoke. You can't get away from it by stepping three feet away. The winds change and it blows the smoke in other's faces. I know this because I go to parks frequently. If you don't get close to people when you're smoking you aren't the normal smoker. I have been sitting on a bench and a smoker come and sit beside me and light up. I've seen them playing with their kids on a swing with one in their mouth with other people's children right there too. I love how you want to add greed to the things you call me. How am I greedy to not have smoke in my children's faces? You're right about all the pollution in the world why add to what they are already exposed to. We are going to die of something anyway? I guess murderers should use that defense. "Judge I know I shot that man, but he was going to die eventually some day anyway. My comments are only ignorant to a smoker.
just me

Searcy, AR

#287 Jul 28, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm...
yeah! You're selfish! How dare you want clean air or yourself and children! Lol!!
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#288 Jul 28, 2012
resident wrote:
I go to the parks, and I do smoke in them...and will continue to do so...and I will bitch and bitch and bitch some more if the ban goes into effect...
Finally, an honest smoker!
Science Is Proven

Clarksburg, WV

#289 Jul 28, 2012
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
you are religious? What about your body being a temple? Do into others? Respect for each other?
There are people allergic to the ingredients in smoke. You can't get away from it by stepping three feet away. The winds change and it blows the smoke in other's faces. I know this because I go to parks frequently. If you don't get close to people when you're smoking you aren't the normal smoker. I have been sitting on a bench and a smoker come and sit beside me and light up. I've seen them playing with their kids on a swing with one in their mouth with other people's children right there too. I love how you want to add greed to the things you call me. How am I greedy to not have smoke in my children's faces? You're right about all the pollution in the world why add to what they are already exposed to. We are going to die of something anyway? I guess murderers should use that defense. "Judge I know I shot that man, but he was going to die eventually some day anyway. My comments are only ignorant to a smoker.
You are greedy because you only want things your way, you support more bans on our society...which is what we need less of! Why ban smoking...why not just make a distance on how close a smoker could be to a non smoker? Why ban them from parks...it hardly seems fair to me at all? I do smoke, but I still respect others...even other smokers, I stand away from people when I smoke...but I can't control nature. If the wind changes direction, I'd say that would be your choice of whether or not your going to stand in the direction it's moving! People are supposed to work together...not be greedy and want to have everything there way! Also I can guarantee that second hand smoke isn't going to harm you anymore than anything else your breathing.....outside, so again it's just all about control! Your body will be damaged no matter what and that ban will not make a single little difference in what happens to anyone! People are also allergic to perfumes,colognes, and deodorants! The chemicals in those things can be just as life threatening to some....so where's the bans on them? Just so you know...there is a difference in murder and your body getting sick. A murderer physically takes a life, that's why they can't use that phrase in court,lol! If you take God's will into your own hands, it becomes a sin...be it suicide, murder, or even life support, they all go against God's will. If you can't survive...or die the way nature(God) intended it is wrong, it's unnatural! If you read the bible God gave humans FREE WILL,the ability to do what we choose! That would pretty much mean that we cannot control each other, and if you don't like something don't do it, or stay away from it...but let others also have that same choice!
just me

Searcy, AR

#290 Jul 28, 2012
Science Is Proven wrote:
<quoted text>You are greedy because you only want things your way, you support more bans on our society...which is what we need less of! Why ban smoking...why not just make a distance on how close a smoker could be to a non smoker? Why ban them from parks...it hardly seems fair to me at all? I do smoke, but I still respect others...even other smokers, I stand away from people when I smoke...but I can't control nature. If the wind changes direction, I'd say that would be your choice of whether or not your going to stand in the direction it's moving! People are supposed to work together...not be greedy and want to have everything there way! Also I can guarantee that second hand smoke isn't going to harm you anymore than anything else your breathing.....outside, so again it's just all about control! Your body will be damaged no matter what and that ban will not make a single little difference in what happens to anyone! People are also allergic to perfumes,colognes, and deodorants! The chemicals in those things can be just as life threatening to some....so where's the bans on them? Just so you know...there is a difference in murder and your body getting sick. A murderer physically takes a life, that's why they can't use that phrase in court,lol! If you take God's will into your own hands, it becomes a sin...be it suicide, murder, or even life support, they all go against God's will. If you can't survive...or die the way nature(God) intended it is wrong, it's unnatural! If you read the bible God gave humans FREE WILL,the ability to do what we choose! That would pretty much mean that we cannot control each other, and if you don't like something don't do it, or stay away from it...but let others also have that same choice!
the irony is non smokers see smokers as wanting it their way. You light up beside us and expect us to move away. I'm not the one with a nasty habit! It's asinine to expect everyone to bend because you want to smoke!
resident

Saint Albans, WV

#291 Jul 28, 2012
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
the irony is non smokers see smokers as wanting it their way. You light up beside us and expect us to move away. I'm not the one with a nasty habit! It's asinine to expect everyone to bend because you want to smoke!
You already have all the resteraunts and stores smoke free....holy cow...somehow that is not good enough now...make regulations on outdoors??? You are stupid!!!!!
Science Is Proven

Clarksburg, WV

#292 Jul 28, 2012
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I say that you had to move??? It's your choice whether you want to or not...the alternative is segregation...and more control, which is exactly why this country was founded....to escape control! It seems to me that moving is a hell of a lot easier than making more laws to be broken. Do you really think I would care if it was banned? Also, I'm sure that the litter would be worse if it were banned...because they would get rid of the ashtrays, if any are their. I also said to make a distance that the smokers had to be away from other patrons....not to exempt them from going to the park with their children!
Teach

United States

#293 Jul 28, 2012
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
I always hear anti-smoking zealots talk about all these smokers who blow smoke in others' faces, who smoke around children, their own and others, who sit down beside other people and just light up...and yet, I never run into these people.

My wife is allergic...and a few feet is all she needs to not suffer a reaction. A passing whiff on the air doesn't trigger a reaction. What is sure to cause a reaction in her is people getting ridiculous, righteous and rude any time they see someone with a cigarette, or grabbing their children and running as though cigarette smoke was a deadly gas, thereby purposely teaching a phobic behaviour based on misinformed hysteria.

Why don't you just admit it? You think people who smoke are ignorant, stupid and filthy, and you believe they should change their habit because you're informed, smarter, cleaner and just an all around better human being, and as such, those who are less than you should simply do as you think they should.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Philippi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kyle Lance(NARK) 7 min wh0 thinks what 5
Sara Miller 10 min PuppetMaster77 2
Jennifer denham on Facebook known as Jennifer N... (Sep '15) Wed Jennifer Denham 28
Beth Fridley Wed Anonymous 3
Jason Miller Jan 17 True lifeline 1
Chestnut ridge (Oct '14) Jan 16 Very curious 23
Kelly Terrance Jan 16 roomie 2

Philippi Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Philippi Mortgages