Phenix City man shot by deputy in Smiths Station dies

Jan 13, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Ledger-Enquirer.com

His body has been taken to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences medical examiner's office in Montgomery for a postmortem examination.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Jan 23, 2013
Coweta Native

Fortson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

I`m interested to see when the rest of this story will be told. Damn shame to think someone would risk thier life and the life of a seven year old child over a beat-up hunk of sheet metal. Hope the child will be alright after all this. What a shame for all involved.

Wonder if the dash-cam video from the patrol car captured the event in progress?

Also question why the need to waste thousands on a post-mortem exam. Should it not be pretty obvious that the bullit to the head caused the death? I guess they need to rule out the hospital as the responsible party.
Mr Snyder

Fortson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Pretty damn stupid on both parts!
Why not just stop the van?
Why use deadly force?
Why put multiple rounds into a moving auto with a child in the next seat?

Sheriff Jones reminded the news media that one of his officers was murdered with a fleeing auto a year or so back. He explained that this was still fresh on his officers minds as it would be mine as well. The only thing fresh on the mind of the van driver now is a 9mm hollow point!
As for the statement from Sheriff Jones regarding the use of deadly force...One could also say...Perhaps the highly public and severe beating dished out to the thug a year or so ago by two Russell County deputies and the P.C. Police officer which took place in Lee County was fresh on the van drivers mind at the time?

I`d say neither of these statements hold water.
Mark

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

I would like to know what the 7 year old has to say I knew the van driver that was not like him
Sparkaninterest

Chester, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

I knew Eddie. My husband watched him grow up. THIS WAS JUST LIKE HIM. He would steal anything he could get his hands on...And the van? I wouldn't doubt it was stolen. If he just bought it, where was the title or Bill of sale? If he was returning from a fishing trip with the child, why not just pull over and provide the deputy with the paperwork to prove he was doing nothing wrong? That's just it, he was in the wrong..he always was. A troubled soul that not only screwed up once but repeatedly, all the while knowing better than to do it.
When I told my husband about this story, his first remark was, "yeah, he was probably running from the cops like he always did". This coming from a man whom watched Eddie grow up from a young teen. Please don't accuse the deputy of out right murder in cold blood. He wouldn't have taken the life of this guy without having felt threatened himself.
Mr Snyder

Fortson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Sparkaninterest wrote:
I knew Eddie. My husband watched him grow up. THIS WAS JUST LIKE HIM. He would steal anything he could get his hands on...And the van? I wouldn't doubt it was stolen. If he just bought it, where was the title or Bill of sale? If he was returning from a fishing trip with the child, why not just pull over and provide the deputy with the paperwork to prove he was doing nothing wrong? That's just it, he was in the wrong..he always was. A troubled soul that not only screwed up once but repeatedly, all the while knowing better than to do it.
When I told my husband about this story, his first remark was, "yeah, he was probably running from the cops like he always did". This coming from a man whom watched Eddie grow up from a young teen. Please don't accuse the deputy of out right murder in
cold blood. He wouldn't have taken the life of this guy without having felt threatened himself.
I dont read where anyone has accused the deputy of murder nor has anyone said the dead guy is without fault. I do however maintain my position that they both seem to act and over-react in a very stupid manner!
Sounds like the young man had some issues for sure.
All I`m saying is, there is more to this story than what we got from the media. Why would anyone risk thier life and the life of a child over a stolen van or a stolen tag? That goes for both of the adults involved in this incident. Pretty damn stupid I say!
Sparkaninterest

Chester, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Mr Snyder wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont read where anyone has accused the deputy of murder nor has anyone said the dead guy is without fault. I do however maintain my position that they both seem to act and over-react in a very stupid manner!
Sounds like the young man had some issues for sure.
All I`m saying is, there is more to this story than what we got from the media. Why would anyone risk thier life and the life of a child over a stolen van or a stolen tag? That goes for both of the adults involved in this incident. Pretty damn stupid I say!
I might have jumped too soon on this. The comments I wrote above are directed to his friends and people who claim to care for him as posted on Facebook. My mistake. Yes, it was a mistake on the deputy's behalf to shoot his firearm into the front of the van with a child there. However, the child is 7..shouldnt he have been in the back seat buckled up like the law requires? not riding shotgun in the front beside his family friend. His judgement on certain things could speak for itself based upon that action alone.
Mr Snyder

Fortson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Sparkaninterest wrote:
<quoted text>
I might have jumped too soon on this. The comments I wrote above are directed to his friends and people who claim to care for him as posted on Facebook. My mistake. Yes, it was a mistake on the deputy's behalf to shoot his firearm into the front of the van with a child there. However, the child is 7..shouldnt he have been in the back seat buckled up like the law requires? not riding shotgun in the front beside his family friend. His judgement on certain things could speak for itself based upon that action alone.
I may be wrong but I`m not aware of any Alabama law saying a seven year old is required to ride in the back seat. If that is the case however, I hope I dont get myself and my children shot for being ignorant of that chicken sh!t law!
angie2013

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

The van wasnt stolen thectag was on the van when he bought it wheather the driver knew the tag was stolen or not who knows! Still not a reason to shoot and kill this man and get by with it! This deputy shoukd be held accountable!!!
angie2013

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

it appears that this isnt the first trigger happy deputy in Lee County theres another from 2008 what the heck is going on?
angie2013

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Just bc Eddie had a criminal past doesnt mean he had the right to be killed in such a manner
Rolly

Gibson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Maybe people shouldn't break the law in the first place. Maybe that selfish prick should of thought about his 7 yo passengers safety before driving him around in a car with a stolen tag. I truly am glad about the child's safety and well as for the driver... Meh
angie2013

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Rolly your a complete idiot for ever sayi g such despicable crap specially when you have no idea what your talking about! That was a trigger happy cop!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Phenix City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chandra L. Piper, 28, Fort Mitchell, Ala., form... (Aug '10) 15 hr Amity 9
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) 16 hr You Spin Me Right... 211
Dr. Wilbon Bates 19 hr Tina 1
P.C. Jobs Thu DadGum 1
Debate: Ferguson - Phenix City, AL Aug 20 Hank 1
Debate: Marijuana - Phenix City, AL (Aug '10) Aug 19 tiffany 91
Cable TV of East Alabama (Sep '09) Aug 13 tdeez59701 230

Search the Phenix City Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Phenix City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000