Outlaw pit bulls following two deaths

Outlaw pit bulls following two deaths

There are 73 comments on the Montgomery Advertiser story from Nov 14, 2006, titled Outlaw pit bulls following two deaths. In it, Montgomery Advertiser reports that:

I hope every Alabama legislator read the recent Advertiser stories about a Phenix City man and a young child being killed by a pit bull dog.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Montgomery Advertiser.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
none

AOL

#1 Nov 17, 2006
Its not the dog its the owner. On this event the dog was locked up and it was at a shop doing the job its put there to do. So dont blame the dog.
brewster voice

Douglasville, GA

#3 Dec 20, 2006
I agree with the issue of banning Pit-bulls. It has been several cases were Pit-bulls have killed other animals and people. I think that if Lanett, Alabama and more cities in the United States banned Pit-bulls then it should a nation law and instead of a local city decision. I am in the process of trying to past it for my particular county and try to pass for the state I resigned in. In the past months, I had to deal with my co-worker issue of losting her child from a Pit-bull attacked and going through the process of helping my pet recover for a dog fght with a Pit-bull. My dog was in his own yard.
chapstick137

Newark, NJ

#4 Dec 26, 2006
I think they all should be exterminated. These people say its the owner but everbody knows that any pitbull will atack and eat another dog or cat. maybe we should all go get pet wolverines! And ironicly the pitbull would kill them too!! How funny is it these people have bets that can take down a wolverine?! My aunts seeing eye dog was atacked and killed by a pitbull while he was guiding her across a busy street!
Intrepid

Dover, DE

#5 Dec 26, 2006
Make no mistake about this.. this is not just "anti-pet" laws.. this is what the pitt bull owners have done to law abiding pet owners and what many states/communities are looking at. The "I love my pitt bulls, there are no bad pitt bulls, just bad owners' get all the credit for these sort of laws. So, you see... I dont' own any pitt bulls, but I sure have to pay the price for irresponsible owners stupidity. pisses me off so badly!

http://www.louisville-pets.com/index.html
Banning Pit bulls

United States

#6 Dec 30, 2006
Some of you geniuses just don't "get it". People breed and train Pit Bulls as guard and attack dogs. ANY big dog would have the same temperment if taught to be vicious. The OWNERS should be responsible for their behavior and whether or not they are let out into society. It'd be the same as if they left a bottle of nitroglycerine sitting in the street. No one has the right to make any THING illegal that they want to. prohibitions don't work! If Pitbulls are made illegal these hysterical
type people will just use another type of dog for this type training (like a rotweiller) and so on and so on unil all you nitwits have them made every good dog illegal until only poodles are legal.
K2theMoFoT

Sacramento, CA

#7 Dec 31, 2006
you know its not the dog its the owners jackass...all those ghetto people who fight them to win money cuz they are strong dogs, i have a pit and this dog would never hurt a fly, all dogs have teeth and the capability to bit some one...if u wanna outlaw pits, why not labs, retrievers, and all those little annoying ankle biters that are more dangerous to children than pitbulls...first pitbulls, then what? your rights? this country has gone to shit, making everything illegal one thing at a time...everyone prepare to loose your freedom!
Intrepid

Dover, DE

#8 Dec 31, 2006
I am not in favor of a breed ban on pitts or any other breed. I'm in favoring of throwing irresponsible owners asses in jail and giving them big fat hefty fines when their pitt/rottie/shepherd/mastiffs etc get loose from their yard, jump fences, jump on innocent dogs or kids on the streets. No excuses. No second chances. Jail time and big fat fines. It might make people think more about their actions.
David Brousseau

AOL

#9 Jan 8, 2007
I never cared for the pitbull breed until I found an abanded pitbull pup in front of my old job at Petsmart. He was and still is a beautiful dog. I raised the dog noticing he had a dislike for male dogs. I think he just wanted the ladies. I then later read that Pitbulls are of Terrier breed. Terrier breeds are known to be dog aggressive. Well when I saw he was'nt so friendly with some dogs I kept a close eye on him. Never has shown aggression to humans and I don't feel he will now. He is now 7 years old, sleeps and plays with my cat and is a great companion. I feel Pitbulls should'nt be banned. BUT I feel having a dog that was bread to be a fighting dog is a big responsibility. All Dogs have problems but when you combine a bad situation with another, the animal is the one that takes all the blame and that is'nt fair either. Well to get to my point yes there are some crazy dogs out there and alot of people should'nt have them. How about setting laws that control breeding of all dogs unless you have a license. Anyone that does'nt have a license must spaid their dog. The less dogs there are the less problems and strays there would be.
Kelley

Miami, FL

#10 Jan 15, 2007
I have a beautiful red nose pit bull who is like my baby that I take care of. It is NOT the dogs fault that he is mean. It IS the owners. I recently read an artical about a pit being thrown out of a 4 story window and surviving. I want to adopt her if I can. The owners mistreat and beat the dogs, making them lash out at other people. Most any dog will start doing that if they are mistreated like pits do. My pit sleeps with me every night and like any other dog barks and makes a scene when other people are around but when you go up to him, he will lick you and try and jump up on you and get so excited. Dont blame the dogs for the owners mistakes. I have raised my pit right(how most people should but dont)since he was a baby. People walking down the street will see a pit with its ears clipped, put on a big chain, and tied to a tree and they will have the nerve to sit there and say that dog should be put to sleep when it is the owner who should be locked up for doing that. They dont tell the owners to clip their ears or lock them outside on a chain and beat them. They cant talk but the owners can who make them that way. They dont tell their owners they wanna fight another dog or kill a person. It should be the owner who is killed for making them so mean that they kill another person. That is the reak facts about pits!!!
Rino

San Antonio, TX

#11 Jan 15, 2007
I'm glad there is a real genius who "gets it." Why not, yes, it is the owner--the fact that the animals have a proven more ferocious nature, an undeniable stronger jaw of any domestic breed is probably irrelevant to you. So why not allow people to keep and occasionally lose conrol of mountain lions, leopards, or tigers? To the other "genius" who says that there is a law and fines for people who mishandle them, try to explain to the survivors of a family who was gulped for breakfast by my sweet, loving bengal tiger, that it was my fault, not the tiger's, and I will be held accountable and pay $1000 fine. So that all those responsible tiger owners out there won't be affected by some cruel and unjust law. Hello? Anybody there? Are you one of those people who believe that anybody should be allowed to own an assault rifle or perhaps a granad launcher, and that when someone blows up a condo, you say "it is the owner, not the weapon...!"
Just wake up, and get a brain for god's sake. People who get pitbulls get them because they are the equivalent of assault weapons, not because they are cozy or good guard dogs. There's nothing about loving pets or animals in choosing a pitbull. There is a lot of anger, arrogance and violence in those people's mind, and that gets out of control more often than people would like. Just don't help these freaks. Just understand that those animal are vicious and are potentially too dangerous, period, and if there is even just one chance that an owner could turn one of them into a threat to anybody's life, then they just should not be there.
Banning Pit bulls wrote:
Some of you geniuses just don't "get it". People breed and train Pit Bulls as guard and attack dogs. ANY big dog would have the same temperment if taught to be vicious. The OWNERS should be responsible for their behavior and whether or not they are let out into society. It'd be the same as if they left a bottle of nitroglycerine sitting in the street. No one has the right to make any THING illegal that they want to. prohibitions don't work! If Pitbulls are made illegal these hysterical
type people will just use another type of dog for this type training (like a rotweiller) and so on and so on unil all you nitwits have them made every good dog illegal until only poodles are legal.
Jennifer

Montgomery, AL

#13 Feb 8, 2007
Yes, it is unfortunate that 2 people were in the wrong place at the wrong time but do not speak unless you know the facts before you make things worse. Phenix City is like what 75% trailer homes on welfare and people are making a living off dog fighting. People don't care what they fight or abuse. They will get there money one way or another. Punish the deed not the breed. Its poor ownership that makes there pets what they are. Pit Bulls are the most mis-understood breed there is. Yes, it is in there nature to show agression, but so is a Jack Russell, Shitzu, Husky, Poodle, and any other dog breeds, remember that they originated from a wolf... and as much as u know u hate to say it, every dog has a pit bull side to them. I know several dachs, jacks, and poodles who would love to rip your face off. For example, My toy poodle has to be muzzled everytime I take it to the vet just for vaccs because it will bite other people. Does that mean society should ban Poodles too? No that just means I should have socialized it better as a puppy. So maybe u say so what? Thats my problems right? Do you know how many people have my problem? You dont think the vet keeps a small size muzzle just for my once a year visit to them do you? Ask your vet! I'm sure they have several dogs they muzzle everyday that are SMALL breeds! Banning a breed will not solve the problem, people will only target other breeds, such as Rotts, Dobermans, Huskys, Chows and so forth. So then what? We get rid of them too? Ok so say you ban all large breed dog. That should do it right? Wrong youve still got the sick freaks who might find a cool new sport in fighting Pomeranians, or maybe poodles, or shitzu's. Think about it, most of these people dont have the space or money to take care of large breed dogs anyway without being caught or obvious of what there doing. It would be alot easier to keep 10 Pomeranians than 2 Pit Bulls. Before long society will make small breed dogs just as mean as large breed dogs and just as dangerous. Where theres a will theres a way. So tell me again how is banning the Pit Bull going to solve anything.
Kimber

Montgomery, AL

#14 Feb 8, 2007
Insight on Humanity----
"One fifth grader, describing to me in graphic detail a pit bull fight to which his uncle took him, told me that when the losing dog urinated and deficated upon itself before it died...he was the only one in the crowd who did not explode with lauphter" Sergeant Steve Brownstein Chicago Police Department
" Pit bulls are famous in circles of knowledgable dog people, for the love and loyalty they bestow ...on anyone who shows them a smidgen of kindness." -Linda Wilson Fuoco
Verocious, Mean, Vicious & Aggressive. These are usually the images that come to our minds when we think of a pit bull and we are always shocked and angered when we here the news of a pit bull mauling but in reality it is usually the pit bull getting mauled. For you see, what most people don't know is that bad pit bulls learn there behavior. For not every pit bull is fortunate enouph to be blessed with a human savior. And when a pit bull attacks a person ...we convince ourselves that it is "in there nature."
But witness what he and his kind our forced to endure... "All cruelty springs from weakness." -Seneca, 4BC-AD65 These dogs need our help... not our hate. For even after being nearly beaten to death, they can still show love. Why can't we?
And could it be...that we are unwilling to face the horrible truth that humanity is willing to take a great family dog, and turn it into a vicious, and deadly animal, through means so inhumane...only a human could be capable of committing them. Fortunately, some pit bulls are not owned by monsters.
Perhaps we would rather blame a "lower" being such as the dog, than to recognize the disgrace much of humanity has become.
We worry about a so-called "pit bull problem" Yet in a 7 year study pit bulls accounted...for only 1.89% of total bites. And in a study that numbered, in order, the likeliness of over 100 different breeds to bite a person, the pit bull was 4th...FROM THE BOTTOM. Labradors and Cocker Spaniels are statistically more dangerous.
People say pit bulls are born mean. They say they are naturally vicious. But a picture is worth a thousand words.
"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Kimber

Montgomery, AL

#15 Feb 8, 2007
Insight on Humanity
"One fifth grader, describing to me in graphic detail a pit bull fight to which his uncle took him, told me that when the losing dog urinated and deficated upon itself before it died...he was the only one in the crowd who did not explode with lauphter" Sergeant Steve Brownstein Chicago Police Dep
" Pit bulls are famous in circles of knowledgable dog people, for the love and loyalty they bestow ...on anyone who shows them a smidgen of kindness." -Linda Wilson Fuoco
These are usually the images that come to our minds when we think of a pit bull and we are always shocked and angered when we here the news of a pit bull mauling but in reality it is usually the pit bull getting mauled. For you see, what most people don't know is that bad pit bulls learn there behavior. For not every pit bull is fortunate enouph to be blessed with a human savior. And when a pit bull attacks a person ...we convince ourselves that it is "in there nature."
But witness what he and his kind our forced to endure. "All cruelty springs from weakness." -Seneca, 4BC-AD65 These dogs need our help... not our hate. For even after being nearly beaten to death, they can still show love. Why can't we?
And could it be...that we are unwilling to face the horrible truth that humanity is willing to take a great family dog, and turn it into a vicious, and deadly animal, through means so inhumane...only a human could be capable of committing them. Fortunately, most pit bulls are not owned by monsters. Perhaps we would rather blame a "lower" being such as the dog, than to recognize the disgrace much of humanity has become.
We worry about a so-called "pit bull problem" Yet in a 7 year study pit bulls accounted...for only 1.89% of total bites. And in a study that numbered, in order, the likeliness of over 100 different breeds to bite a person, the pit bull was 4th...FROM THE BOTTOM. Labradors and Cocker Spaniels are statistically more dangerous.
People say pit bulls are born mean. They say they are naturally vicious. But a picture is worth a thousand words.
"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." Dr. Albert Schweitzer
tami

Fort Benning, GA

#16 Feb 9, 2007
WHY BLAME THE DOG FOR THE OWNERS OF SAID DOGS FOR NOT HAVING THE RESPONSIBILTY TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR DOGS AND RAISE THEM RIGHT. ANY DOG CAN BE VICOUS, I HAVE HAD DEALINGS WITH THE CITY OF LANETT, AND I DON'T LIVE IN THE CITY LIMITS. MY DOGS ARE NOT MEAN. BUT THEY TELL ME THAT I CAN'T LET MY DOGS RUN ON MY OWN PROPERTY,( 2 ACRES) TO THAT I SAY SAY IN LANETT AND MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSSINESS. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THESE DOGS WHERE NOT MEAN MAYBE SO, BUT DON'T BLAME THE DOG, BLAME THE IDIOT WHO RAIED IT THIS WAY.
brewster voice wrote:
I agree with the issue of banning Pit-bulls. It has been several cases were Pit-bulls have killed other animals and people. I think that if Lanett, Alabama and more cities in the United States banned Pit-bulls then it should a nation law and instead of a local city decision. I am in the process of trying to past it for my particular county and try to pass for the state I resigned in. In the past months, I had to deal with my co-worker issue of losting her child from a Pit-bull attacked and going through the process of helping my pet recover for a dog fght with a Pit-bull. My dog was in his own yard.
jake

Rochester, NY

#17 Feb 20, 2007
pitbulls are no more dangerous than any other dogs out there. the owners are the ones that make the dogs mean they can make a poodle into a bitng machine.
MikeDogLover

Collierville, TN

#18 May 2, 2007
I love dogs, I acutlly have a tattoo of my dog after he died. I have almost caused accidents swerving to miss dogs. I as a dog lover feel pitt bulls have to be illegal and exterminated. they have something in their head, something that is not their fault, its like a trigger they cant control and neither can we. Sure big dogs can cause damadge too, but Pitts cause the damadge they do because they cant be turned off so to speak
Gwinnett GA

Atlanta, GA

#19 Jun 10, 2007
brewster voice wrote:
since your to dumb to investigate all the reports about pit bull attack let me clarify one thing for all of you who believe every thing you hear. The news and the reports are not always true; they misrepresent the facts to get readers, like you dumb people, and use you to judge pit bulls. If you were to look at the pictures if they even have any most of them are mixed with very little pit or none at all. Study Stupids. Animals are like people trained to do what they have been taught and act how they were treated.You don't see the nation banning humans. I hope one day someone forces you to do away with something or someone so close to you that it hurts you to even think of it,because of uneducated people. all i can say now is study the breed of Pit bulls and speak with some education next time , not out your a**.
McCullough

Lawrenceville, GA

#20 Jun 13, 2007
It saddens me to read all of this negative rhetoric regarding pitbulls. I have owned pitbulls for over 20 years and not once have one of my dogs bit anyone. I love everything about the pitbull, from it's loyalty, strength, temperance, courage, to its strong determination. However, it is important to know that pitbulls are not for everyone. The same characteristics that attract me to pitbulls, are the same reasons they are exploited by irresponsible owners. Right now, my family owns a beautiful 3 year old male pitbull and I might be forced to give my dog away because I am moving. I was worried about my new neighbors opinion of the dog. My kids are heartbroken about the thought of getting rid of STITCH, and right now I am more inclined to just "put down" a beautiful family dog because of all of this negative attention. I really believe in punishing irresponsible owners that engage in illegal activities and who do not love and care for their pets. Please people do not group all pitbulls together and call them bad. I am one example of a pitbull owner that loves this particular breed of dog and is working hard to change the bad reputation. The key to changing the reputation is really hammering people when found guilty of mistreating animals period, regardless of the breed.

Much Love,

McCullough
Billy From Melbourne

Australia

#21 Jun 22, 2007
hey, i am only 16, i just bought a rednose pitbull puppy, and i also hav a 1 year old pitbull. he is really placid and the rednose i just bought is 7 weeks old.

if ur parents dont raise u properly u will be a dikhed when ur older tru?..same with dogs.... if the owner is aggresive the dog will be aggresive. there is only 3 people killed by pitbulls on average every year, 440,000 by cigarettes why not banned cigaretes.. the real problem here is dikheds who try 2 band pitbulls why dont u kill george bush for killing all those inocent people in iraq. every person who seas ban pitbulls think again...and yes it is the owners fault. i let people play with my dog in the street and everything like that, it only barks when it hears people outside never bites any1...
Budget

Seattle, WA

#22 Jun 22, 2007
Does anyone in this country, the USA, know how to use proper grammer? It would add credence to your discussion, that you folks were awake during your English courses.

In defence of the dogs, let the owners pay the price and serve time for the damage done. And, breeding should be done by only those who care for the future of all the dogs they aid in creating. Good homes and responsible owners ONLY.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Phenix City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Untouchable House and Window Cleaning Jul '17 Shane harris 1
News Dairy Queen sets opening date for DQ Grill & Ch... Jul '17 Yu-up 3
News 30-year-old man found guilty of burglary, attem... (Jul '09) May '17 Tee 23
Phenix City Labor May '17 CodSack 1
Hurst Boys from Phenix City (Dec '15) Apr '17 strel 4
Cable TV of East Alabama (Sep '09) Apr '17 Big Time 247
Ambulance Services.... must be money in it on b... (Feb '16) Mar '17 Enter Username 2

Phenix City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Phenix City Mortgages