Controlled drugs dumped uncontrolled ...

Controlled drugs dumped uncontrolled into water

There are 9 comments on the story from Sep 15, 2008, titled Controlled drugs dumped uncontrolled into water. In it, reports that:

Health facilities flush millions of pounds of drugs each year. Likely harm to humans and wildlife is raising alarms.

Join the discussion below, or

Since: Feb 08

Springfield, MO

#1 Sep 15, 2008
Nothing to see here. Move along.

There are already rules in place which cover disposal of various types of medical waste which will no doubt be expanded to cover drugs.

Next crisis please.
Up In Smoke

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Sep 15, 2008
If incineration is still the preferred disposal option (for hospitals, medical schools, university research) for tissue samples, gloves, gowns, syringes, tubing and other medical waste, perhaps the drugs can also be burned.

If the deceased (humans or pets) are being cremated, why not include their unused medicines?

Has the AP "investigative research" included radioactive drugs that are excreted or flushed?
Toilet Bowl Defender

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Sep 15, 2008
When I was 16 years old and worked at Black's Photography, the manager told me to dump the used developer chemicals down the sink every week. When I asked him if this was safe he said, "I would never tell you to do this if it wasn't safe." I wonder if it was safe. Imagine all of the stuff that goes down the drain.

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Sep 15, 2008
YOU WONDER why people are getting taller and girls are getting bigger boobs at a younger age all these drugs in our water are makeing us alot different then what we as people we 100 yrs ago. i cant belive people do this and there are no fines for clean up.

my boob comment is not being sick its the truth...
Ira Jane

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Sep 15, 2008
When a family member died from cancer - we didnt know what to do with her extra medicine, we asked hospice to take it and they said they couldnt - told us to dump it down the toliet...tons of oxycontin went into the sewer...

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Sep 15, 2008
The news this morning said the hospitals are doing this because they wanted to save the 25K they say the company charges to dispose of these safely.

I would like for all these 'company's' to be checked monthly... I bet THEY don't dispose of these correctly either.

Remember this past summer pulling up trailer after trailer of computers from the bottom of our lakes? OUR LAKES people!

Shoot.:( Makes me cry to think of all the evil and greed in our world. Shoot, just our state.

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Sep 15, 2008
One solution:
MN has a program for unused cancer drugs. After a patient dies leftover cancer drugs can be dropped off at certain participating pharmacies and they are inspected and go into a program to be reused by people who can't afford to pay full cost.
a concerned nurse

Andover, MN

#8 Sep 15, 2008
Why stop there? how about all waste? Infected Urine? Stool? How many millions of pounds of infected human waste get dumped into the sewers and why stop at facilities how about home waste even more is generated there.
gcesafskyyahooco m

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Sep 15, 2008
The minneapolis jail alone is a major alarm to me. While I worked there, we flushed Meth, Cocaine, Speed, Heroin, marijuana, and anything else that was suspected narcotics. The only time they didn't get flushed was if it was a very large amount that the officers felt "was worth the paperwork" to charge the suspect with (which was rare).
After seeing that happen on a daily basis, I stopped drinking city water. I know it is refined, etc., but I don't want to drink some street junkie's drugs.
If meth is so dangerous that officers wear protective suits around it, why are they stupid enough to dump in into the public water system?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peterson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gerry Zaragemca the Guru of Afrocuban Percussio... (Jan '09) Jul '16 Gerry Zaragemca 15
TJ Heiden (Oct '15) Oct '15 Justme 1
Review: Avian Acres' Wild Bird Supply (Jul '15) Jul '15 Ldeboer 1
News Orval Amdahl, 95, of Lanesboro (Mar '15) Mar '15 dick brown class... 1
News Speaker of the House makes visit to area (Feb '15) Feb '15 See The Real Prob... 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
News This Off-Season Might Not Be What Most Are Expe... (Mar '13) Mar '13 GBPmies 3

Peterson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peterson Mortgages