There's a 'cat crisis' at Twin Cities animal shelters

Full story: TwinCities.com

That's what Minnesota's cats should be asking themselves, at the grim evidence that Minnesotans seem to be loving their cats less - and their dogs more.
Comments
101 - 119 of 119 Comments Last updated Nov 6, 2010
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
development rules

Wells, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#130
Sep 22, 2010
 
Addicted to Stealing wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Jerk! What does it matter to you how she spends her money? It's America. You spend your money the way you want to, and she'll do the same.
Maybe I should give you a call the next time I'm paying my bills to be sure that *YOU* approve of how *I* spend *MY* money.
I guess you failed to read the part of the comment where she was living paycheck to paycheck.
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#131
Sep 22, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Solution wrote:
<quoted text>
Round up all the illegal aliens and send them back with two cats under each arm.
Could we start with Zeituni Onyango, Obama's aunt who fought off ICE for years in their attempt to deport her only to be over ruled bu Baffoon Obunga himself. Let's give her the four cats and a wok, all the way to her boat to Kenya.
Dont give up yet

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#132
Sep 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

who needs spirit wrote:
I adopted two cats from an animal shelter here in the metro, and I will NEVER do it again.
One cat died within a month because she had undiagnosed liver disease. When we brought her to the vet, the vet said that she had been sick for a a very long time.
The other cat has serious behavioral issues. He hisses at everyone, poops in his food dish, and is an absolute nightmare.
But did the woman at the humane society tell us ANY of this? No, of course not. She just wanted our $200, which she probably took and bought cigarettes with.
You know why people don't want to adopt adult cats? They are very set in their ways. After the first cat died, a friend offered me a baby kitten. We took her, and she has brought more joy to my life than I could have imagined. While I miss my first cat dearly (that cat was amazing, just very sick) this little kitten has been programmed to do what we want. She likes being pet, loves to sit in your lap or next to you, and knows when it's time to leave you alone.
We don't have any idea what we are going to do with our other terror cat. We are at the end of the rope here. All I can say is that we are NOT giving the humane society anymore money to take the cat back. Had they told us how awful this cat was, we never would have taken him in the first place.
For what it's worth, we have a male cat who can be a little terror. I found out that when he does something we don't like, he gets even worse if we express our anger to him. One day I decided to reverse my attitude towards him. Despite being overall irritated with him all the time, I started spoiling the hell out him and giving him all kinds of positive attention. It has gotten to the point where he does not want to displeasure me and in fact the minute I call his name, he stops anything he's doing and comes running and I just give him all the positive attention he could possibly want. He loves verbal endearments and in fact he's smart enough to know what's being said. I can't tell you how much better his behavior is as a result. Is he still a little jerk? Yep, but not as bad. But he has come to love the attention and spoiling he gets and I can usually stop the negative behavior by pouring that on real thick. He loves that more then he likes being a little jerk, lol! It's possible your kitty has some bad experiences in it's life and maybe he's very sad. Maybe he's never gotten any real love from an owner. You could be the first and turn him around even if you're thinking right now that you can't. If the other kitty in the house gets all the attention, you can be sure he is jealous and wants some attention too. Our male cat is 15 years old and has been with us all of his life. Some young men found him as a stray and started throwing him around amongst themselves like a volleyball until our son put a stop to it and brought him home. It has just been recently (since I've spoiled him rotten), that he finally let me pick him up and carry him over my shoulder without fear.
Mike NZ

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#133
Sep 23, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Why don't we require that all cats sold at pet shops, etc. be required to be spayed or neutered? Other than having an exemption for those that are registered breeders, this could eventually help the over-population. This could work for dogs too.
Think Again

De Forest, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#134
Sep 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The only crisis is the lack of humane kills of the "OVERSTOCK". Killing the way too many cats, humanely, is the reason we have these animal shelters. By having a way to get rid of cats humanely, they don't end up in bags with rocks, polluting our local fishing holes!!!!
Tracie Jacobson AHS

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#135
Sep 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

TooHotTooTrot wrote:
Sadly, an artificial crisis report that will have folks ignoring the problem yet again.(the St. Paul HS site shows about 12 cats up for adoption)
It is very easy to see why however, when shelters want $155 for an adoption fee, and the kittens down the street are free or 10 bucks.
TooHotTooTrot, This is not an artificial crisis. We currently have more than 600 cats in our care between our adoption centers, holding areas for exam and treatment, and foster homes. You have to remember that we're dealing with live animals who need care before they are placed in our adoption centers. It takes time to get them examined, spayed or neutered, and provided with any other care they need. We're working on improving our processes to get them into the adoption centers more quickly and efficiently, but until that time we ask the public to be patient. The promotions are ongoing and will remain that way until we get the hundreds of cats at Animal Humane Society into new homes.

I also want to note that the adoption fee is a fraction of what it costs to provide vaccinations, spay/neuter surgery, examinations, socialization training or any other care needs for each animal. On average, the cost to care for one animal is $300-$900 depending on the species and individual needs of that animal.
Bob Barker

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#136
Sep 23, 2010
 
sock wrote:
<quoted text>
Remind me who puts fake testicles on their pet
The species owners who actually get their pets spayed and neutered.
Ron

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#137
Sep 23, 2010
 
Mike NZ wrote:
Why don't we require that all cats sold at pet shops, etc. be required to be spayed or neutered? Other than having an exemption for those that are registered breeders, this could eventually help the over-population. This could work for dogs too.
Cuz that's GOVT control
Bag Rock good cat

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#138
Sep 23, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Dont give up yet wrote:
<quoted text>
For what it's worth, we have a male cat who can be a little terror. I found out that when he does something we don't like, he gets even worse if we express our anger to him. One day I decided to reverse my attitude towards him. Despite being overall irritated with him all the time, I started spoiling the hell out him and giving him all kinds of positive attention. It has gotten to the point where he does not want to displeasure me and in fact the minute I call his name, he stops anything he's doing and comes running and I just give him all the positive attention he could possibly want. He loves verbal endearments and in fact he's smart enough to know what's being said. I can't tell you how much better his behavior is as a result. Is he still a little jerk? Yep, but not as bad. But he has come to love the attention and spoiling he gets and I can usually stop the negative behavior by pouring that on real thick. He loves that more then he likes being a little jerk, lol! It's possible your kitty has some bad experiences in it's life and maybe he's very sad. Maybe he's never gotten any real love from an owner. You could be the first and turn him around even if you're thinking right now that you can't. If the other kitty in the house gets all the attention, you can be sure he is jealous and wants some attention too. Our male cat is 15 years old and has been with us all of his life. Some young men found him as a stray and started throwing him around amongst themselves like a volleyball until our son put a stop to it and brought him home. It has just been recently (since I've spoiled him rotten), that he finally let me pick him up and carry him over my shoulder without fear.
Can't understand why a cat controls you.

I can understand a woman/man but a cat???

Wierd..

Put cat in bag with a rock tie bag and deposit in water, he earned it.
Sandy

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139
Sep 23, 2010
 
What you should be writing about is how the Animal Humane Society has now decided to close their 24-hour drop off! If they really want to save cats, they wouldn't do that. I think they're trying to push the responsibility back on the "owner." But it's not just owners that drop off animals after hours. I found a stray and took it there knowing that it would have a warm kennel with blanket and water over night. I can't keep it in my house. We're very allergic and had no litter or anything and it was the dead of winter. What's going to happen is people will bring "Fluffy" to the 24-hour drop off - find it closed - and then just set them free to die a slow painful death in the cold or other harsh elements. And these will be older, domestic cats without claws who have NEVER seen the outside of their house. I think it's absolutely STUPID of AHS to not provide this service!! Who will?!?
Sandy

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#140
Sep 23, 2010
 
I think you're full of crap because the Animal Humane Society of Golden Valley (and Buffalo, Woodbury...) has a 30 DAY GUARANTEE!! That's in writing in your folder that you got with your new pet. If it doesn't work out, YOU CAN BRING THE PET BACK, and try another one for 30 days!!!

Unless you didn't get it from AHS?? BTW: I know as a fact that cats with "urinary problems" aren't considered "adoptable."
clueless

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141
Sep 23, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Sandy wrote:
I think you're full of crap because the Animal Humane Society of Golden Valley (and Buffalo, Woodbury...) has a 30 DAY GUARANTEE!! That's in writing in your folder that you got with your new pet. If it doesn't work out, YOU CAN BRING THE PET BACK, and try another one for 30 days!!!
Unless you didn't get it from AHS?? BTW: I know as a fact that cats with "urinary problems" aren't considered "adoptable."
This is a lie. Totally and completely. The AHS claims and says that this is the case, but they don't really take them back when push comes to shove. They will find a way to somehow make it your fault so they don't have to give you your money back or give you a new cat. They just want the money and to get rid of the cats.
Huge Jazz

Chicoutimi, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#142
Sep 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Good cat = Dead cat

There are too many cats and too many irresponsible owners, if one can actually own a cat.

I have no problem if someone has a cat and keeps it indoors. A cat outdoors does only two things -kills and breeds.

They are thrill killers, killing song and other birds. It's more fantasy than fact that they kill a lot of mice. And they obviously breed out of control if they are not fixed, hence, too many irresponsible owners.
Sandy

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#143
Sep 23, 2010
 
Huge Jazz wrote:
Good cat = Dead cat
There are too many cats and too many irresponsible owners, if one can actually own a cat.
I have no problem if someone has a cat and keeps it indoors. A cat outdoors does only two things -kills and breeds.
They are thrill killers, killing song and other birds. It's more fantasy than fact that they kill a lot of mice. And they obviously breed out of control if they are not fixed, hence, too many irresponsible owners.
You are absolutely correct. Cats are not indigenous to North America. They kill birds, get hit by cars, and walk over people's newly fertilized lawns (that have the little signs saying not to). I love how in my old neighborhood people walking their dogs would pull them away from fertilized yards, and then go home and let the cat out. Where we live now, it's illegal to let your cat out (without a leash, if you desire). Period! I think the entire state should have this law.

BTW: If your cat isn't using the little box correctly, something is up. I can't tell you how many people would bring a cat to our old shelter with this problem and when I asked them what their vet said, they looked at me blankly.[I wondered what they did with their kids if they had any!]
Sandy

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#144
Sep 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

BTW: For those who are looking for low-cost spay and neutering, try MN SNAP!

http://www.mnsnap.org/
MN Spay and Neuter Assistance Program - the first of it's kind.

In fact I urge you all to donate to, or volunteer for them. I don't know them but read about them in the Pioneer Press and totally agree with their stance that we can all solve the problem with spaying and neutering. That's where it starts.

The woman vet who founded it used to work at the Humane Society and got sick of the number of cats being euthanized, so she started MN SNAP. Since AHS isn't allowing 24-hour drop off, we're diverting all our donations to MN SNAP now. I hope you join me because I seriously would like to end this crisis!
Sandy

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#146
Sep 23, 2010
 
Tracie Jacobson AHS wrote:
<quoted text>
I also want to note that the adoption fee is a fraction of what it costs to provide vaccinations, spay/neuter surgery, examinations, socialization training or any other care needs for each animal. On average, the cost to care for one animal is $300-$900 depending on the species and individual needs of that animal.
I couldn't agree more. We got a cat from the shelter for $135 and she came spayed, vaccinated, examined, tested for leukemia, and micro-chipped. My co-worker got a "free" kitten on Craigslist and already she's paid $85 for vacc's,$80 for two vet visits,$200 for spay,$50 for blood work,$40 for micro-chip. I told her she got what she paid for!!! LOL!
Tracie Jacobson AHS

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#147
Sep 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a lie. Totally and completely. The AHS claims and says that this is the case, but they don't really take them back when push comes to shove. They will find a way to somehow make it your fault so they don't have to give you your money back or give you a new cat. They just want the money and to get rid of the cats.
Animal Humane Society does have a 30-day policy that allows families to return pets they've adopted that aren't working out. We're aware that not every animal adopted is going to be he best fit for the family that adopted it. Or, families may change their mind about having a pet. Of course, we'll ask questions to see if there is a solution to what created the return and also to learn more about the animal for future placement. Once you return an animal, you can either accept a certificate worth the adoption fee paid, or adopt a different animal.

“Just dance.........”

Since: Jan 09

East Side

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148
Sep 27, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

development rules wrote:
I would have got my two cats spayed if not for the price of $85/per at the local vet. I am not going to invest $170 into animals that might get run over by a car the next day. And no, they ain't staying in my house, I have working cats, they are there to keep the mice in check.
So what do u do with all the kittens they have, or if they are male cats u don't care if they knock up any other females? Yep, you're the problem all right.
Fist of pleasure

Livingston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149
Nov 6, 2010
 
Target practice

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Peterson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Peterson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Peterson News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Peterson
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••