2 Cottage Grove City Council contests...

2 Cottage Grove City Council contests draw five entrants

There are 29 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 21, 2010, titled 2 Cottage Grove City Council contests draw five entrants. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

In Cottage Grove, five candidates are vying for two open positions on the city council.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Scary

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Sep 22, 2010
From what I've seen in Facebook and city editorials, Derrick Lehrke is a firestarter! So far, all I've seen is he doesn't want a new city hall facility. Hasn't put any other issues out there. Kind of scary!
klschen

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Sep 22, 2010
The city needs a new City Center for police fire and ems. Get it done!
Vote 4 Anyone but Lehrke

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Sep 22, 2010
Lehrke's a one trick pony for sure and even that trick sucks. The police can't stand the guy.(Even though he tries to post that he's buddies with some of them) It's surprising to me in a very Union Blue Collar town that you have a extremely conservative candidate trying to pull that crap. He's just trying to jump on the "Don't Spend" bandwagon even though they will save millions in the future by doing it now. Lowest rates ever, cheap bids to build and the city has money set aside. Not only that, the construction, labor, electricians etc will put alot of that money back into the city. If you don't believe how bad the City Hall is, I know they are offering tours. It's horrible and unsafe for the officers. They need this!
facts

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Sep 22, 2010
As usual Bob Shaw gets the facts wrong. He wrote "Council member Jen Peterson is stepping down to run for state representative in District 57A. That leaves one incumbent — Pat Rice — running for re-election." Yes, Jen is running for the house of reps but she hasn't stepped down. If elected, then she will step down. If she doesn't win, she remains on the city council. Mark Grossklaus, however, is stepping down. Every story Shaw writes that I know something about, has factual errors. So if I read one of his stories that I know nothing about, do you think I will take it seriously? The guy is a hack at best.
Voter

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Sep 22, 2010
Well after reading this article and researching each candidate, I'm not too impressed by any of them. I will be voting for Angela Chambliss, for two reasons, one she is hott, and two she is Italian!
Derrick is the guy

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Oct 8, 2010
Lehrke is the only challenger to put any effort into this. The other three simply repeat back what they Mayor says.. Right or wrong I like to see people take a stand of their own. At least you know someone is looking at the other side of the coin. He has spent 30hrs doing ride-alongs and is at almost every city meeting... Where are the others? No where to been seen.
bill

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Oct 8, 2010
Vote 4 Anyone but Lehrke wrote:
Lehrke's a one trick pony for sure and even that trick sucks. The police can't stand the guy.(Even though he tries to post that he's buddies with some of them) It's surprising to me in a very Union Blue Collar town that you have a extremely conservative candidate trying to pull that crap. He's just trying to jump on the "Don't Spend" bandwagon even though they will save millions in the future by doing it now. Lowest rates ever, cheap bids to build and the city has money set aside. Not only that, the construction, labor, electricians etc will put alot of that money back into the city. If you don't believe how bad the City Hall is, I know they are offering tours. It's horrible and unsafe for the officers. They need this!
"they" I have a feeling you are in some way a beneficiary of the new place..it is in a workers paradise area..
CG Res

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Oct 8, 2010
Funny you say that Bill. I looked at one tread on the CG police FB page. In 88 comments there were many that wanted it build... There were a total of 20 people that that commented or clicked "like" in favor of the building....

18 of those people were Police officers, City Staff or married to one. What a joke! Those who have to pay for it know other options need to be looked at.

But Hey! The Mayor says 17 million will not impact your taxes.
bill

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Oct 9, 2010
CG Res wrote:
Funny you say that Bill. I looked at one tread on the CG police FB page. In 88 comments there were many that wanted it build... There were a total of 20 people that that commented or clicked "like" in favor of the building....
18 of those people were Police officers, City Staff or married to one. What a joke! Those who have to pay for it know other options need to be looked at.
But Hey! The Mayor says 17 million will not impact your taxes.
thanks for the information..Seems Government workers are spoiled,and they have less working stress than private workers..I believe.. but police and fire..they have stress.. is there any room to add on to the old place like building upwards, another floor?They could take over the Library just across from them,since the library is also moving to the "campus" everything is a "campus" now,just like a universitycampus meaning, big... which means government is growing and growing, and well, we know about those big popping bubbles. Thirty years ago or more, old timers were warning us about all those "Gov.Planners,Gov. spenders"...so sing along with me, "Pop goes the weasels",
CG Res

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Oct 10, 2010
Bill. I have heard there are alot of options. The issue is the council is stuck on their "pie in the sky" idea. They will not even look at other options.

What is too bad is now you have CG officers and a State Patrol officer attacking anyone that even dares to say "maybe we should look for other solutions". They are beginning to sound like kids in a candy store.

It's too bad some candidates are trying to please 39 officers and 4 council members, rather than 36,000 citizens.
Hey Chauvanistic Idiot

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Oct 11, 2010
She is what is wrong wrote:
Chambliss is you choice? She can't even get her story straight on how long she has lived in CG. I have heard 2years, 3 years a few years, etc.
She hasn't even lived here 2 years. She has no clue.
My favorite was when she came to my door and said she has no agenda. Coming into all this with nothing decided... Yet she is endorsed by a progressive Pro Abortion group... Why is ABORTION in the CITY COUNCIL RACE?
She politic 101! That was she does all day at her job. Liberal Man hater.
Are you talking about Winning women, they promote supporting successful women in politics, period. I didn't know that abortion was a concern in Cottage Grove. What about her endorsement from the Cottage Grove Police officer association, you must have forgot about that one? Wow, Strange I know Angels well and have never heard anything like that from her mouth, same little Lehrke idiots making false statements. You must be Shaun or one of Derrick's 3 friends or maybe his mom that he has post messages for him.
Being that Angela is Italian Catholic and from a very active large family in the metro, I would have a hard time thinking she is some man hating abortion promoter. She is a well educated corporate business woman who is pro business and actually looks at the facts before she makes a decision. Unlike her long list of education and career successes, not only is Derrick Lehrke unemployed, all he has done is dealt Black Jack and worked in a pizza joint, I can see where he is so qualified. Tell you what, I am told that there are some rental income issues with Derrick that has not been claimed and the "rumor" of non payment for the yard signs for the Lehrke's. Thanks to ignorant fools like yourself, I will now personally contact the state on the income tax rumor and find out the company where Lehrke's signs were bought to see if there was non payment. Remember idiot, that is public record.
Your a coward plain and simple little man, I implore you to come to one of her event's and make a statement like that. Pretty Please...
CG Res

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Oct 11, 2010
@Hey Chauvanistic Idiot Funny how you "rip apart" someone for not knowing the facts, but then you have no clue yourself.

Your statements about Lehrke are 100% false. In the real world this is what we call a LIE. However, if you want to look at campaign issues, maybe you should look at Angela. She is violating that campaign finance laws. That my friend is Truth, with most call a fact.

As to Winning Women? Here is their quote, from their website, which Angela "likes" and is endorsed by.........."The mission of womenwinning is to encourage, promote and support pro-choice women's leadership in all political parties and levels of public office.".....
There is no editing, and nothing deleted.. Their SOLE charge is to work for Pro-choice women.. This is another fact.

Hey Chauvanistic Idiot

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Oct 11, 2010
Hey there Shaun or Dave, whichever of you it is. Maybe it's Daisy this time, right?

Stay tuned for the new info on Derrick Lehrke that will be coming soon. Maybe it will be something about Derrick not claiming rental income? Maybe it will be something about not paying for his campaign signs, what do you think? That's the rumor anyway... Just waiting on documents from the state on finances and the out of state company he bought his signs at. Weird that he couldn't support a local union printer, huh? Maybe it's because he never planned on paying, right?

Pretty interesting that you are attacking the only female candidate on here. Maybe your momma didn't hug you enough as a child or something so it makes you not like woman? Only god knows.

I don't think I've read one thing about Angela Chambliss even making a derogatory statement about any of the other candidates. Seems to me she is well above that. I don't think it's a smart thing for Derrick to attack her that way, do you?

I'll help you out with a couple of facts, for your own info. Derrick Lehrke was endorsed by the GOP/RNC. Don't you think that's a little weird for a non partisan race? Who is he going to work for, the residents or the Republican Party? Maybe that's why he doesn't want the City Hall to be built, since it would be a majority of middle class union members doing the work. What about both him and his wife running for office? Sounds like that's a conflict of interest to me.

Your pathetic and a small person, Cowards like you make me laugh. Pretty tough on here attacking a woman because she is a strong candidate, wow.

How about I give you a quote off of one of Winning Women's website too, since you can't find a pertinent quote: "Promoting women in business, education, government and health initiatives to advance regional economic growth" Huh, don't see anything about abortion... What does that have to do with city politics anyway? You guys are grasping at straws!
bill

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Oct 11, 2010
CG Res wrote:
Bill. I have heard there are alot of options. The issue is the council is stuck on their "pie in the sky" idea. They will not even look at other options.
What is too bad is now you have CG officers and a State Patrol officer attacking anyone that even dares to say "maybe we should look for other solutions". They are beginning to sound like kids in a candy store.
It's too bad some candidates are trying to please 39 officers and 4 council members, rather than 36,000 citizens.
Thanks for your response...I used to pay attention to city government..but it was so god awful clicky..I could not stand it.Years ago I read that in any smaller community, it is a handful of people who vote in their people, their causes.As you know, there really is not alot of interest in local government...and when one does stand up to their next big project..they get beaten and battered by the handful of selfish me me and me group...Its the same with the school board..I would love to get out of the Metro area period. Also, it is darn sad watching the countryside get gobbled up for apts.and gov bldgs.I notice the north washington county does not get all these Public works bldg..big recycling place {woodbury} again, in a rural area..are there so many 3m and uof Mn types,scientists,artists.garde n club ladies. living in scandia,marine on the st. croix,that we in the southern get all the monstrosities ? I have been looking around there for a place..
Vote Chambliss

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Oct 11, 2010
I would like to get one of those yard signs of Chambliss
Hey Chauvanistic Idiot

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Oct 12, 2010
Bill, Sometimes I agree. CG has good people though and it's been my home for 11 years and I couldn't imagine leaving. It's just tough when you have people above that try to personally attack local candidates that are really trying to help and do the right thing. If you watched the debates, it's clear that any of the candidates with the exception of Lehrke seem well informed and will do a good job. I personally can't stand a man that attacks a woman, especially one that seems to carry herself with dignity.

@Vote Chambliss - I have a Chambliss and a Thiede sign in my yard. I met Angela thru one of the city workers for my sign but I sent 2 of my neighbors her way thru her website for a sign as well.
CG Res

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Oct 12, 2010
@Hey Chauvanistic Idiot Again with the attacks that you speak ill of. Maybe you should follow what you teach. I will say it one last time... You say negative attacks are bad? It seems to me these comments about Angela are facts and have not been disputed. You can look right at her website...... On the flip side you are grasping at straws saying others have not paid their taxes? What is next,..I also heard Derick is an illegal immigrant.
New Blood

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Oct 12, 2010
Angela is a nice person. I have met her as well. However she will not be my choice. She has not even lived here two years. I will be voting for those that have roots in out city.
Hey Chauvanistic Idiot

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Oct 12, 2010
CG Res wrote:
@Hey Chauvanistic Idiot Again with the attacks that you speak ill of. Maybe you should follow what you teach. I will say it one last time... You say negative attacks are bad? It seems to me these comments about Angela are facts and have not been disputed. You can look right at her website...... On the flip side you are grasping at straws saying others have not paid their taxes? What is next,..I also heard Derick is an illegal immigrant.
Don't worry, it's not an attack, it's a fact and will be proven. Should be good reading for all you folks. Trying to redirect the fact of rental income not being claimed and the signs not being paid is just pathetic. Why don't you ask Derrick about certain video's he sent to a female employee when he was at Treasure Island? I would just quit while you can.

As far as how long she's lived in town... I've met Angela twice total in the last 2 1/2 months and have decided to back her and Dave Thiede due to their backgrounds and what I seen in the debates. Sometimes having someone that can make decisions with a fresh outlook is a much better choice than status quo. With Derrick Lehrke being GOP endorsed and the co chair of the local Republican party along with his family having been involved in local politics for so long, he is not the choice for me. At least Angela isn't tied to any political party, agenda and has been involved dramatically in trying to be involved since she has lived here along with being endorsed by the Cottage Grove Police Officer Association, which has never happened I guess.

Even though Derrick has lived here his whole life, his background is extremely sketchy, he owns a couple of rentals in Newport that has issues, doesn't work in town and won't even buy his campaign materials from a local business. How could you even consider this guy for a public office? Keep in mind, the person voted in will have some say over our budget as a city! It's crazy to think people like this should even be allowed to run for any office.
CG Res

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Oct 12, 2010
Hey Chauvanistic Idiot.. Just more accusations and lies. It must be nice to slander someone while hiding behind the internet. Your lies will catch up with you my friend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peterson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fountain Drinks (Nov '16) Nov '16 Soda Jerk 1
Gerry Zaragemca the Guru of Afrocuban Percussio... (Jan '09) Jul '16 Gerry Zaragemca 15
TJ Heiden (Oct '15) Oct '15 Justme 1
Review: Avian Acres' Wild Bird Supply (Jul '15) Jul '15 Ldeboer 1
News Orval Amdahl, 95, of Lanesboro (Mar '15) Mar '15 dick brown class... 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
News This Off-Season Might Not Be What Most Are Expe... (Mar '13) Mar '13 GBPmies 3

Peterson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peterson Mortgages