Peterson on tape: 'I just stabbed him...

Peterson on tape: 'I just stabbed him out of nowhere'

There are 31 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 18, 2008, titled Peterson on tape: 'I just stabbed him out of nowhere'. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A former University of Wisconsin-Madison student from Minnesota has been bound over for trial in connection with a January stabbing death.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Workaday Oakdale Brother

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jul 18, 2008
Will Scandinavian-Americans take ownership of this young man's actions, as Blacks have had to take ownership of The ValleyFair 7's actions? Will anyone refer to him as an "animal"?
WHATEVER

Portland, OR

#2 Jul 18, 2008
TIME FOR THE LOONEY BIN
OH.....1ST
WHATEVER

Portland, OR

#3 Jul 18, 2008
BLACKS HAVE TAKEN OWNERSHIP??? REALLY????
Workaday Oakdale Brother

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 18, 2008
WHATEVER wrote:
TIME FOR THE LOONEY BIN
OH.....1ST
Nah, you're 2nd, Baby!
Workaday Oakdale Brother

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jul 18, 2008
WHATEVER wrote:
BLACKS HAVE TAKEN OWNERSHIP??? REALLY????
Well, we have taken a lot of collective "heat" for the ValleyFair 7, anyway. How much heat will Scandinavian-Americans take for Peterson's actions? If none, why not?
A Mom

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jul 18, 2008
Workaday Oakdale Brother wrote:
Will Scandinavian-Americans take ownership of this young man's actions, as Blacks have had to take ownership of The ValleyFair 7's actions? Will anyone refer to him as an "animal"?
I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally the only people I blame are the criminals....NOT THE RACE!!!! So to answer you're question, no I won't take 'ownership' over what this person did. I had nothing to do with it!!!! And yes, since he killed an innocent person out of malice he is an animal. There. Are you satisfied?
Mnnative

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jul 18, 2008
mom's know best
pumpkin

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jul 18, 2008
Okay....... that white man is an animal. What's with it that whitey is always stabbing some innocent person. He should be locked up forever.
Suzette

Cottage Grove, MN

#9 Jul 18, 2008
I'm no doctor, but Mr. Peterson appears to be mentally ill, and that mental illness seems to have been developing over a period of time. His life story includes a great deal of dependence on his brother in order to relate to the world. He doesn't seem to know how to cope on his own. Regardless of the sentence the court will administer, he is not going to have an easy life. His situation has some distinct differences to the Valley Fair circumstance.
A Mom

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jul 18, 2008
pumpkin wrote:
Okay....... that white man is an animal. What's with it that whitey is always stabbing some innocent person. He should be locked up forever.
LOL

Since: May 08

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jul 18, 2008
I'm not Scandinavian. And the only actions I will take ownership of are my own.

But I have to agree that the circumstances between this and Valleyfair are quite different. This man appears seems to have given some forethought to robbing someone, to getting some money.

The creeps at Valleyfair's actions were spontaneous, in response to a situation that evolved with a complete stranger while walking out of an amusement park. Their egos were hurt.

They are all creeps but the Valleyfair folks seem a bit more over the top and unpredictable.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#15 Jul 18, 2008
Brother, I'm neither Scandinavian nor Black but I do have a little theory about this case. I believe that Adam had been spiraling into mental illness over the last few years, culminating in the stabbing for "no reason" as he himself first stated. I believe he later came up with the "for money" part of the story to make some kind of sense of his senseless crime. Mental illness has such a stigma on it that Adam's way of dealing with what he had done was to convince himself it was for money. Just speculation, of course, but that is my perfectly color-neutral instinct on the case.
Wisconsin VS Minnesota

Saint Cloud, MN

#16 Jul 19, 2008
Lets just breath a sigh of relief this guy is being tried in Wisconsin, where there will be no chance of him being released. In Minnesota, he would have a pretty good chance of walking out of prison in the near future. Considering Wisconsion sentencing guidelines vs Minnesota Sentencing guidelines, he won't be getting out in 17 years to do it again. Just be thankful he is going to trial in Wisconsin. Not Minnesota.
Old White Guy

United States

#17 Jul 19, 2008
Are you going to pick up the lease on the black woman who beat to death the 2 year old boy?
Jeff

Duluth, MN

#18 Jul 19, 2008
<quoted text>
Well, we have taken a lot of collective "heat" for the ValleyFair 7, anyway. How much heat will Scandinavian-Americans take for Peterson's actions? If none, why not?
Probably because the animals at Valleyfair are a common occurrence within the black community, so it's not such a big deal to them. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are nowhere to be found after something like this happens, but can you imagine if it were 6-8 white guys stomping on the head of a black father trying to protect his daughter??
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jul 19, 2008
A lot of you are missing Workaday's point. When Dahmer was captured did all white people have to take pains to distance themselves from his actions to convince others that they weren't "that kind of white person"?

When there is a news story about any white person doing something heinous do all white people have to loudly proclaim how they would never do such a thing so that people of other races won't think ill of them?

No and why? Because they would think it absurd that anyone would think that any one individual would be considered to represent the entire white race.

But a lot of whites do seem to consider the act of an individual black or small group of blacks to represent ALL blacks. And so whites do demand that all blacks loudly renounce the actions of a few wayward blacks in order to "prove" that they're decent.
Erica

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jul 19, 2008
I am Scandinavian-American or in other words, just plain white. Why are you called African-American? You are just plain black. The point is the crimes were committed, no matter the color. Let the punishment fit the crime.
Red Ryder

Monroe, LA

#21 Jul 19, 2008
Where was Mike Farrell when Dahmer died?
(BTW, he died a fitting death)

Mikey should have been outside the prison protesting against putting McVeigh to death ,too.
Muneraven

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Jul 19, 2008
Welcome to our future. We have dismantled the mental health system in this country and severely mentally ill people are booted out to the streets ALL THE TIME because there is no place for them and insurance won't cover care for them. Where are the State mental hospitals? Where do you put someone who needs months of treatment? I have a mentally ill stepson and there is no help out there. Every professional we worked with said the system is a broken disaster. This is only going to get worse until people step up and deal with the problem.
Muneraven

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Jul 19, 2008
Sarah D wrote:
A lot of you are missing Workaday's point. When Dahmer was captured did all white people have to take pains to distance themselves from his actions to convince others that they weren't "that kind of white person"?
When there is a news story about any white person doing something heinous do all white people have to loudly proclaim how they would never do such a thing so that people of other races won't think ill of them?
No and why? Because they would think it absurd that anyone would think that any one individual would be considered to represent the entire white race.
But a lot of whites do seem to consider the act of an individual black or small group of blacks to represent ALL blacks. And so whites do demand that all blacks loudly renounce the actions of a few wayward blacks in order to "prove" that they're decent.
It is an ugly and stupid human trait to judge an entire group of people by the actions of a few bad apples. EVERY race does this, though. It isn't a White thing, it is a human thing and you will find it in every culture. It is most notable here among White people simply because we are the majority in this country, is all. But it happens everywhere all the time.

Smart people don't hold an entire group accountable for the actions of any individual of that group, whether good or bad. To do so makes no sense. Alas, smart people seem to be the greatest minority of all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peterson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TJ Heiden (Oct '15) Oct '15 Justme 1
Gerry Zaragemca the Guru of Afrocuban Percussio... (Jan '09) Jul '15 Anonymous 14
Review: Avian Acres' Wild Bird Supply (Jul '15) Jul '15 Ldeboer 1
News Orval Amdahl, 95, of Lanesboro (Mar '15) Mar '15 dick brown class... 1
News Speaker of the House makes visit to area (Feb '15) Feb '15 See The Real Prob... 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
News This Off-Season Might Not Be What Most Are Expe... (Mar '13) Mar '13 GBPmies 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peterson Mortgages