Ex-Hopewell officer arrested after 90-minute standoff

Jun 13, 2012 Full story: WTVR Richmond 24

DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. - A A former Hopewell police officer has been arrested following a nearly 90-minute standoff with the state police in Dinwiddie County Wednesday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
whos next

Fairfax, VA

#1 Jun 13, 2012
Dang, how many Hopewell officers does that make that have been arrested? Seems they have a little trouble in the romance area.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#2 Jun 14, 2012
Unfortunately every profession has it's bad seeds. I for one am glad that Hopewell has finally hired a Chief of Police that does not put up with this kind of conduct.

Hopewell has had some Police Chiefs that were just as bad as these Two Officers if not worse.

Kudos to Chief Keohane for not tolerating such behavior from his Officers and raising the standards of conduct.

Hopewell has some good officers and they need to hold their heads high. To those Officers conducting themselves in a honorable and lawful manner, I thank you for your service.

To those officers not performing your duties in an honorable and lawful manner shame on you. Your time is limited with the Hopewell PD. Hopefully your time as a LEO will be over and you will not be able to resign and take you sorry but to another department.

If an Officers conduct rises to a point of an arrest then so be it. I just hope the general public does not think that all LEO's conduct themselves like the two Hopewell Officers have. One found guilty the other has not been to trial yet.
GI Joe

Ellicott City, MD

#3 Jun 14, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
Unfortunately every profession has it's bad seeds. I for one am glad that Hopewell has finally hired a Chief of Police that does not put up with this kind of conduct.
Hopewell has had some Police Chiefs that were just as bad as these Two Officers if not worse.
Kudos to Chief Keohane for not tolerating such behavior from his Officers and raising the standards of conduct.
Hopewell has some good officers and they need to hold their heads high. To those Officers conducting themselves in a honorable and lawful manner, I thank you for your service.
To those officers not performing your duties in an honorable and lawful manner shame on you. Your time is limited with the Hopewell PD. Hopefully your time as a LEO will be over and you will not be able to resign and take you sorry but to another department.
If an Officers conduct rises to a point of an arrest then so be it. I just hope the general public does not think that all LEO's conduct themselves like the two Hopewell Officers have. One found guilty the other has not been to trial yet.
Give me a break... All hail Chief Keohane! He's Batman and Comissioner Gordon rolled into one! Look out all you Jokers!
Chief

Richmond, VA

#4 Jun 14, 2012
I took an oath over 29 years ago to serve and protect and to honor the badge for those who gave their life in honorable service. I will hold all officers to a high standard and made sure all reaffirmed the Oath of Honor after the first and now second arrest which reads:

"On my honor,
I will never betray my badge,
my integrity, my character,
or the public trust.
I will always have the courage
to hold myself and others
accountable for our actions.
I will always uphold the Constitution,
the community,
and the agency I serve,
so help me God."

The vast majority of our officers in Hopewell serve with honor and are the upmost professional. Those who choose not too honor this oath are fully aware of the consequences.

I am humored to be called batman - however i am just a normal guy who looked forward in following my dad's footsteps in law enforcement and hopefully to serve with as much integrity and honor. I owe a lot to my family and my upbringing - God Bless
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

#5 Jun 14, 2012
Chief wrote:
I took an oath over 29 years ago to serve and protect and to honor the badge for those who gave their life in honorable service. I will hold all officers to a high standard and made sure all reaffirmed the Oath of Honor after the first and now second arrest which reads:
"On my honor,
I will never betray my badge,
my integrity, my character,
or the public trust.
I will always have the courage
to hold myself and others
accountable for our actions.
I will always uphold the Constitution,
the community,
and the agency I serve,
so help me God."
The vast majority of our officers in Hopewell serve with honor and are the upmost professional. Those who choose not too honor this oath are fully aware of the consequences.
I am humored to be called batman - however i am just a normal guy who looked forward in following my dad's footsteps in law enforcement and hopefully to serve with as much integrity and honor. I owe a lot to my family and my upbringing - God Bless
Thank you Chief. I wish you and your men the best.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#6 Jun 15, 2012
Yes, Thank You Chief. Keep up the good work. I thank you for your Service.

As for GI Jane pay her no mind, she constantly bashes Hopewell.
WTF

Triangle, VA

#7 Jun 15, 2012
Chief wrote:
I took an oath over 29 years ago to serve and protect and to honor the badge for those who gave their life in honorable service. I will hold all officers to a high standard and made sure all reaffirmed the Oath of Honor after the first and now second arrest which reads:
"On my honor,
I will never betray my badge,
my integrity, my character,
or the public trust.
I will always have the courage
to hold myself and others
accountable for our actions.
I will always uphold the Constitution,
the community,
and the agency I serve,
so help me God."
The vast majority of our officers in Hopewell serve with honor and are the upmost professional. Those who choose not too honor this oath are fully aware of the consequences.
I am humored to be called batman - however i am just a normal guy who looked forward in following my dad's footsteps in law enforcement and hopefully to serve with as much integrity and honor. I owe a lot to my family and my upbringing - God Bless
The chief has resorted to Topix in an attempt to clean the image of the police in Hopewell? This is funny! What's next, billboards or TV ads? It appears that drama and controversy fallows this department no matter who the chief is. I know there are people that will bash what I am saying, but please try and dispute the facts. Dispute the numerous scandals this department faced. Let's see, illegal pirating of DVD's, evidence issues, and now three separate sex scandals? Yes, I say three, remember a certain Lieutenant that got terminated? Please, dispute those facts. Change is good, and hopefully they will continue to move in the right direction, but with all the past scandals, why should we believe that anything will change? Yes, everyplace has its issues, but this place seems to have more than the surrounding area, and as chief, the buck stops with you. How many times is this place going to betray public trust and ask forgiveness?
WTF

Triangle, VA

#8 Jun 15, 2012
If you had the officers "reaffirm" the oath after the first arrest, why have them do it again after the second arrest? It would appear the first reaffirming didn't work, ergo the second arrest.
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

#9 Jun 15, 2012
Chief, you have to overlook the clowns that the GOBs put up to doing their dirty work. They are typical of the punks you find in prison. You know what I mean?
WTF

White Stone, VA

#10 Jun 15, 2012
Were you able to dispute the facts, or just bash the individual?
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#11 Jun 16, 2012
WTF, I do not dispute the facts that you have presented.

Yes, DVD's were pirated. What happened was someone recorded a movie or dubbed a movie onto a DVD. That person then lent that DVD to others to watch. No money exchanged hands. Under Federal Law if you copy a DVD and allow someone to borrow that DVD you have committed a Federal Offense. With that said how many people have pirated DVD's??

Yes, there have been sex scandals within the Department, again involving a video that was passed around and watched. The "Star" of that video has long since been gone from the Department. There have been other sex scandals within the department. No different “Sex Scandals” then what happens in everyday life. I guess you would need to define sex scandal.

Yes, problems were found with the evidence room. The just completed State Police investigation concluded that wrong doing was found in one case involving $50.00 and no charges would be filed do to the statute of limitations on a misdemeanor crime. Also the person involved has been long gone from the PD.

Yes, a certain Lieutenant was allowed to retire. That Lieutenant’s actions never reached the level of criminal activity. Not saying it made the circumstances any better, just saying.

As for the 2 recent arrests of former HPD Officer's, if you look at when these offenses happened it was in January 2011. Both incidents occurred around the same time.

I do not dispute what you have brought up in any way. To me there is a huge difference. This Chief is taking action as soon as things are brought to his attention. In the past things were either disregarded or swept under the rug.

I would probably dispute the fact that Hopewell has more "Issues" then any other jurisdiction. You just hear more about Hopewell then other jurisdictions. Part of that is due to the actions of the Chief when it comes to criminal activity alleged of his Officers. I can tell you from experience that many Law Enforcement agencies handle these complaints internally and allow the accused officer to resign or face charges. This allows many Bad Apples to stay in Law Enforcement and continue their lawless ways in another Department. Departments do this to keep any controversy away from their departments. Is it right, no, but it happens?

Give this Chief a chance. The 2 arrests of former Hopewell Officer's shows me that he has raised the accountability of those under him.

Let us not live in the past. We should look at the past and learn from it. Yes, Hopewell PD has had its problems and unfortunately will probably have issues in the future. Hopewell has had Chiefs in the past that did not care about themselves let alone the City or the Department. This Chief has so far shown his dedication not only to duty but the City and the Department.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#12 Jun 16, 2012
In my opinion Hopewell PD is better off now than in the past. Yes, once the public’s trust is lost it is hard to regain. We should look at the arrest of these 2 officers as a positive for the city not as a negative on the department. It shows that this Chief will not tolerate law breakers no matter who they are.
Please do not just throw allegations out without explaining those allegations. Sometimes these “Scandals” are not what they appear to be.
Fact checking

Mechanicsville, VA

#13 Jun 16, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
As for the 2 recent arrests of former HPD Officer's, if you look at when these offenses happened it was in January 2011. Both incidents occurred around the same time.
I think you need to check your facts again. The first set of offenses occurred in Sept 2011 and Oct 2011. The second officer's offense, as reported by the news, happened in January 2012, not 2011.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#14 Jun 16, 2012
Fact checking wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to check your facts again. The first set of offenses occurred in Sept 2011 and Oct 2011. The second officer's offense, as reported by the news, happened in January 2012, not 2011.
I stand corrected. I meant to put Jan. 2012 as the one offense date. A 3 to 4 month time span is not that long apart. I did say these offenses occurred around the same time. I could not recall the specific dates of the first officer’s offenses.

Thank you for correcting my error, now you know why I am not a journalist.

The fact still remains that you cannot compare these 2 incidents to the ones cited by WTF. The date was not correct but the message remains the same.
WTF

Virginia Beach, VA

#15 Jun 16, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand corrected. I meant to put Jan. 2012 as the one offense date. A 3 to 4 month time span is not that long apart. I did say these offenses occurred around the same time. I could not recall the specific dates of the first officer’s offenses.
Thank you for correcting my error, now you know why I am not a journalist.
The fact still remains that you cannot compare these 2 incidents to the ones cited by WTF. The date was not correct but the message remains the same.
I use these two incidents as well as the others to show a chronic pattern of troubling behavior. You are correct in the fact that one can not dwell in the past, but there appears to be a problematic cycle of repetitive bad behavior. I mentioned the above listed incidents because they occurred under the leadership of three different chiefs, yet the same department. I do applaud the current chief for not condoning this type of behavior, but how many times can a department violate public trust and keep asking for forgiveness? They are individual officers that have committed these acts, but they represent the entire department. It also appears to cut across all levels of experience, so that would indicate that they were hired by different leaders as well, so you can't blame it on one era of officers.
WTF

Virginia Beach, VA

#16 Jun 16, 2012
These acts were committed by individual officers, but they represent the whole. So how does an average citizen trust the whole if so many incidents have occurred? Would you send your child to the same daycare facility if they were assaulted twice by two different workers? Would you continue to blindly trust that institution or keep a watchful eye? That basic principle applies here, the police are sworn to protect us citizens, not harm us. We as a society have been harmed several times. I do applaud the chief for not condoning this behavior, but there have been to many incidents with several officers. That my friend is a pattern.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#17 Jun 17, 2012
WTF,

I totally understand your point. Like I said once the public’s trust has been lost it is hard to gain back.

We as citizens should expect and deserve more from those chosen to protect and serve.

The question my friend is; who is to blame? Personally I think a lot of people are on the blame list. A rather large list of Chiefs of Police has occurred, let's say, since Chief Ronnie Clark. Many Police Chief’s have came and went since Chief Clark. For the most part until a few years ago the City Manager remained the same. City council changed some. The control behind City council has remained the same throughout all this.

Good leadership and discipline starts at the top. Many of the Chief’s since Clark had no vested interest in Virginia let alone Hopewell. When City council did find a Chief worthy (ex. Chief Stanley); certain leaders (Both formal and informal) found a reason to get rid of them or make them leave.

Yes, a pattern exists. Public trust has been strained to the breaking point, but many people are to blame for it.

The problems that have surrounded the HPD is just one example and reason why elections of local officials are so important. Local Government starts with the elected officials. If corrupt immoral people are put in charge you are going to a corrupt immoral work force. Garbage in garbage, out so to speak. That my friend is what has happened in Hopewell. Small town politics at its best.

Now for whatever the reason (by accident or by design) Hopewell now has a chief willing to clean up the mess that he was given.

In my opinion I think the arrest of two former HPD Officer's (Investigated by the State Police at the request of the current Chief) is a huge start in the healing process.

It show's me that he not only cares about Hopewell, but the quality of service provided by those entrusted to protect and serve.

That is progress, my friend. A step forward.
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

#18 Jun 17, 2012
WTF, tell us where in the world you can find everyone that can be trusted.It don't exist.
Who Cares

United States

#19 Jun 17, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol. Well written. I am impressed. I found myself agreeing with WTF, but after your last post, you have won me over to your side. That is how you intelligently debate a topic! Good job.
Who Cares

United States

#20 Jun 17, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol. You may want to assist Va_Tazdad on the Richmond judge appointment forum. He is having trouble with debating the topic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Petersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are Petersburg Students so darn Stupid, wor... (Oct '12) 23 hr Proud 33
Report bad work from Kenny Amos here. Oct 19 Buddy Mitchell 6
STOKES strikes again Oct 11 VN Vet 7
Would you hire an unlicensed, uninsured contra... Oct 6 Buddy Mitchell 39
Review: Domino's Pizza Oct 6 Phil2marvin 1
Ethanol Smell Oct 3 VN Vet 11
What happened to VN Vet? Miss the comments. Oct 3 VN Vet 8
Petersburg Dating
Find my Match

Petersburg Jobs

Petersburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Petersburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Petersburg

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]