Video of Teen Beating Raises Questions

Video of Teen Beating Raises Questions

There are 72 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 11, 2008, titled Video of Teen Beating Raises Questions. In it, Newsday reports that:

Eight Florida teenagers charged with beating another teen so they could post the "animalistic" attack on YouTube got exactly what they had wanted -- worldwide exposure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
watkana

Levelland, TX

#63 Apr 12, 2008
Polaris wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent points, all.
A handshake was your word. Your word was honor and truth. From this incident and the teacher beating, a message must be sent out by the majority that this type of behavior is not appropriate and we will not stand for it. No matter who is at fault, kids or parents, this can no longer go on. Our society is crumbling because these things have been allowed to occur without consequences. These 8 teens have thought they are above the law and untouchable. Whether their parents have taught them about consequences or not, they must be taught that in society they must face consequences when bad decisions and choices are made.
Crissy20062007

United States

#64 Apr 12, 2008
hhh wrote:
<quoted text>
Well WHERE I AM FROM...parents can sign a note saying they do not want their child paddled OR that it is ok--nope don't have the facts wrong--listen people times r getting worse--we should go back to some things that used to work in the "olden days" Ask your parents if thy thought paddling kept them from misbehaving...sheesh..
That does not all way work once you are being told that you can hit you kid dont u think that they will rebal ( i would but not to the fix of betting a girl)It would just make it wrong nothin g good will come of it. it just make you hate your parents and how ever is hitting you. It will lead to mistrust and that will make the kid kept eveything in side until they just bust open and no one know what will happen then but it will not be good
Stay In Skool

United States

#65 Apr 12, 2008
Crissy20062007 wrote:
<quoted text>
That does not all way work once you are being told that you can hit you kid dont u think that they will rebal ( i would but not to the fix of betting a girl)It would just make it wrong nothin g good will come of it. it just make you hate your parents and how ever is hitting you. It will lead to mistrust and that will make the kid kept eveything in side until they just bust open and no one know what will happen then but it will not be good
Yes, I understand. I'm also at a loss for words.
Glasnos

Lakeland, FL

#66 Apr 12, 2008
I think trying these girls as adults should send a solid message ... I think they are smart enough to realize the possible severe penalties they face. ... and unlike the black community, the white community will not make excuses for them ... and demand some prison time.
Dewey Cox

United States

#67 Apr 12, 2008
Glasnos wrote:
I think trying these girls as adults should send a solid message ... I think they are smart enough to realize the possible severe penalties they face.... and unlike the black community, the white community will not make excuses for them ... and demand some prison time.
A most excellent post, Glasnos!
Doc Iron

United States

#68 Apr 13, 2008
Tracey wrote:
Don't blame the parents,it's all about the choices we make, Those parents of the eight teenagers did not tell there teenagers to go and harm another teenager.we all know right from wrong,those teenagers know right from wrong.and they made there choice,We all need to do more to help our young adults,this is so sad.
But it IS the parents' fault, because these teens did NOT know right from wrong. Making the right choice in situations comes from always seeing the right choices made by your role models (ie, parents), along with guidance (positive or negative) as a child makes his/her own decisions.

The parents of these girls are the ones that speed, drive aggressively, scream at sports officials, drink excessively, and fail to ever show their children right from wrong, or that there are consequences for your actions.
john

Gwynn Oak, MD

#69 Apr 13, 2008
Just a question wrote:
How many of you who posted here bullied another when you were a kid? Be honest.
After hearing about what happened to that girl, did it make you reflect back to that time?
I'm only curious.
this was not bullying, this was conspiracy
john

Gwynn Oak, MD

#70 Apr 13, 2008
hhh wrote:
<quoted text>
Well WHERE I AM FROM...parents can sign a note saying they do not want their child paddled OR that it is ok--nope don't have the facts wrong--listen people times r getting worse--we should go back to some things that used to work in the "olden days" Ask your parents if thy thought paddling kept them from misbehaving...sheesh..
growing up i got my ass paddled in front of the whole class, public humilation work's

“Hi! I'm no longer here. ”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#71 Apr 13, 2008
CPC wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the victim can certainly sue YouTube. This is their bread and butter. They should be accountable if someone uses it to publicly harm and humiliate someone.
It may have publicly harmed and humiliated the victim even more, but it also helps to incriminate those involved. Without the video, it would have been the victim's word against the others.
Wait and See

Orlando, FL

#72 Apr 13, 2008
This whole episode has been blown out of proportion by a Sheriff that loves his picture on the news. From what I have heard there was no gang kidnapping or gang attack . Yes there were criminal acts as the video clearly shows but not by 8 as the media and Sheriff would have you believe. In my opinion the Sheriff of Polk County is made from the same mold as the Duke district attorney Mike Nifong and would gladly put headlines before justice.
Here for now

Nazareth, PA

#73 Apr 13, 2008
You can't be serious. Thank goodness not everyone thinks that.
Wait and See wrote:
This whole episode has been blown out of proportion by a Sheriff that loves his picture on the news. From what I have heard there was no gang kidnapping or gang attack . Yes there were criminal acts as the video clearly shows but not by 8 as the media and Sheriff would have you believe. In my opinion the Sheriff of Polk County is made from the same mold as the Duke district attorney Mike Nifong and would gladly put headlines before justice.
texas mom

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#75 Apr 13, 2008
hhh wrote:
<quoted text>
in answer to your question, Yes getting a paddling made me think before I acted. saved Me from being a bad person. Parents should be allowed to spank thier children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Petersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Haunted House (Jun '16) Sep '17 Wendy 2
News Malta men accused of burglary spree (Aug '17) Aug '17 TrustTheProcess21 1
jeff wilwol (Dec '16) Dec '16 mad 1
News Snow, blustery conditions continue Monday in Al... (Nov '16) Nov '16 HomeEvolution 1
jeff wilwol (Apr '12) Apr '16 bea 4
News Police: Officer shot at chase vehicle (May '10) Dec '15 Tracker Racer 23
News 50 meals everyone should eat in their lifetime (Nov '15) Nov '15 vietnam my love 1

Petersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Petersburg Mortgages