Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,733

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Anne

Brea, CA

#95942 Feb 13, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I don't reckon I have enough time to prove or disprove that. I have enough trouble just counting chickens. LOL
Why, AW, I had plenty of time to count those stars... Time management!

Nah, I googled it. Lo
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95945 Feb 13, 2014
what wrote:
And this morning a major gas line explosion in Ky. More concerned.:(
I haven't had time to read about that. Did it have anything to do with fracking? Those fracking wells are blowing up big time! There also causing houses to blow up around them. And if they mess up all of our ground water fracking, we're screwed... or I should say if they keep on messing up the ground water.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95946 Feb 13, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh! Check out the blood moon that's coming up. Google it.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. John Hagee has a new book out that talks about that. I was going to look for it today and forgot.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95947 Feb 13, 2014
Ohno wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm moving
You can run but you can't hide... ha ha ha! LOL
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95948 Feb 13, 2014
I need some eggs! Got an order for about five dozen today and I don't believe I have five dozen! LOL
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#95951 Feb 13, 2014
boom wrote:
I need some eggs! Got an order for about five dozen today and I don't believe I have five dozen! LOL
The demand for my eggs is always higher than the supply and I can easily move around 10 to 12 dozen each week. But since I sold some already and production is down due to cold weather, I will be lucky if I can come up with 5 dozen also. I do have more baby chicks that hatched out this week, so maybe they will be laying by mid-summer.
Anne

Brea, CA

#95953 Feb 13, 2014
boom wrote:
I'm only getting an egg a day so it will take a long time to get that 5 dozen you need... Sorry
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95954 Feb 13, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm only getting an egg a day so it will take a long time to get that 5 dozen you need... Sorry
I bet yours are pretty. Wish I had some like you have. I'd also like to have some Marans that lay the real dark eggs.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95955 Feb 13, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> The demand for my eggs is always higher than the supply and I can easily move around 10 to 12 dozen each week. But since I sold some already and production is down due to cold weather, I will be lucky if I can come up with 5 dozen also. I do have more baby chicks that hatched out this week, so maybe they will be laying by mid-summer.
I have got to hatch some out too. I've got about 20 pullets, about 10 are almost a year old. They have done real well all winter. Right now they are averaging about a dozen/day. Do you sell chicks, layers, roosters? We eat the extra roosters. Does anybody around you sell duck eggs?
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95956 Feb 13, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> The demand for my eggs is always higher than the supply and I can easily move around 10 to 12 dozen each week. But since I sold some already and production is down due to cold weather, I will be lucky if I can come up with 5 dozen also. I do have more baby chicks that hatched out this week, so maybe they will be laying by mid-summer.
How much do you get for your eggs, if you don't mind me asking? I get $3.00 a dozen.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#95957 Feb 13, 2014
grains of sand in a hourglass.
Anne

Brea, CA

#95959 Feb 13, 2014
boom wrote:
<quoted text>I bet yours are pretty. Wish I had some like you have. I'd also like to have some Marans that lay the real dark eggs.
The Marans are beautiful and those eggs are very dark! The egg images on the computer make them look like lumps of dark chocolate! My americuan hens lay bluish gray, light green and then there's a pinkish brown. I'm down to 4 right now but later on may find a few more. Wonder where I might find a few of those Marans?
Anne

Brea, CA

#95960 Feb 13, 2014
--Counting Stars-- wrote:
grains of sand in a hourglass.
Personally I couldn't even count those..

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#95961 Feb 13, 2014
If you are trying to create an accurate hourglass and you don't have any sand add a teaspoon of salt . It is fairly easy to understand the technique.

Half fill the battle with salt and let the salt run out through, if the salt runs out to soon and a little more salt. through trial and error you get the run time as close to 5 minutes as possible.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#95962 Feb 13, 2014
boom wrote:
<quoted text>
I have got to hatch some out too. I've got about 20 pullets, about 10 are almost a year old. They have done real well all winter. Right now they are averaging about a dozen/day. Do you sell chicks, layers, roosters? We eat the extra roosters. Does anybody around you sell duck eggs?
Right now I have 17 laying hens that were laying about a dozen/day until it got down to single digit temps and below and now down to 8/day. I put 36 eggs in the incubator and got 18 surviving chicks, I guess the rest were not fertile and got tossed after 3 extra days.

I don't sell eggs to the public but raise chickens just for the exercise (chicken house is up the hill quite a ways), eggs to eat, and something to do and to supply eggs for church folks. I give away eggs to those folks that I don't think are able to pay and those that can, I get $2 just to cover cost of feed and expenses. I furnish free eggs for monthly church pot luck socials and I have one old couple that are barely surviving and I give him the excess roosters that he will clean and his wife will make chicken and dumplings for the church socials. That way I do not have to clean any chickens or bake any pies or cakes or even bring anything to the pot luck, but just show up and eat LOL
Anne

Brea, CA

#95963 Feb 13, 2014
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hey everyone. It's been a minute since I've checked in. Hope everyone is well.

Good advice on that coverage AW. Better to check it out before it's too late. I found that lesson out the hard way years back. I'm probably still paying for it in one way or the other, comparatively speaking..

Well, I'm off to scour the forums while I have my hot coffee. Maybe I'll be back later on. Never can tell which way the wind is going to blow me these days. All I know is that I'm looking forward to that wind being routinely above 55 degrees again for a change! Bring on that nice Spring weather already!!! I want to see flowers and leaves outside instead of these barren trees and dead forest matter in the wood line... The Redwood and Dogwoods need to bloom, and pronto!!

Blessings to all.
_-_Nope_-_
Hello!! Between you and AW talking about insurance, I feel I need to check my insurance policy on the sinkhole business. Earthquake, yes, it's on there but not sure about the other.
We've been checking the weather back home and, thank God, its going to warm up some next week! That will be a nice homecoming! Maybe those jonquils will be popping up!! Ah, but there's redbud winter and dogwood winter yet..but perhaps the snow won't make another appearance. Lol
Anne

Brea, CA

#95964 Feb 14, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Right now I have 17 laying hens that were laying about a dozen/day until it got down to single digit temps and below and now down to 8/day. I put 36 eggs in the incubator and got 18 surviving chicks, I guess the rest were not fertile and got tossed after 3 extra days.

I don't sell eggs to the public but raise chickens just for the exercise (chicken house is up the hill quite a ways), eggs to eat, and something to do and to supply eggs for church folks. I give away eggs to those folks that I don't think are able to pay and those that can, I get $2 just to cover cost of feed and expenses. I furnish free eggs for monthly church pot luck socials and I have one old couple that are barely surviving and I give him the excess roosters that he will clean and his wife will make chicken and dumplings for the church socials. That way I do not have to clean any chickens or bake any pies or cakes or even bring anything to the pot luck, but just show up and eat LOL
Heeheehee . You've got your system worked out perfectly! I couldn't kill or dress a chicken, but I can sure make deviled eggs!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#95966 Feb 14, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Heeheehee . You've got your system worked out perfectly! I couldn't kill or dress a chicken, but I can sure make deviled eggs!
I can kill and dress a rooster (especially when they start fighting) with some difficulty due to arthritic fingers, but I just have it worked out to where I don't have to by giving them to that old couple so that they will also feel like they have something to contribute to the monthly church socials.

Sometimes when I have excess eggs, I stop by the local Senior Citizens Center and donate those for their meal preparation. They prepare lunch for those that can come to the center and shuttle some box lunches to the shut-ins. The kitchen staff generally have something "special" for me such as a warm fried pie or freshly baked cookies and milk. In the summer, I usually take them some excess veggies also and I especially like their fried green tomatoes and hot corn bread. So yes, there is a method to my madness. LOL
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95967 Feb 14, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
The Marans are beautiful and those eggs are very dark! The egg images on the computer make them look like lumps of dark chocolate! My americuan hens lay bluish gray, light green and then there's a pinkish brown. I'm down to 4 right now but later on may find a few more. Wonder where I might find a few of those Marans?
They do look like chocolate, so pretty. Meyer Hatchery has some, 3-4 different colors. I like the "black copper" ones, really pretty birds. A friend of mine has some - I don't believe they are super duper layers but they do alright. They do cost more than most other chicks. Here's the link to their chicks...(I have ordered from them, they are a good company to do business with.)

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productlist.a5w... .
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95968 Feb 14, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Right now I have 17 laying hens that were laying about a dozen/day until it got down to single digit temps and below and now down to 8/day. I put 36 eggs in the incubator and got 18 surviving chicks, I guess the rest were not fertile and got tossed after 3 extra days.
It was pretty strange how my birds kept laying. I don't use any heat or light yet it seemed like the colder it got the better they layed. It was a little nerve wracking worrying about them when it did get so cold! They all did well though except 2-3 roosters who got a little frostbite, but they're fine now.

In the past I have gave away eggs but I'm hoping they will be at least paying for their feed now. This chicken habit can get expensive! lol I mix up a "special recipe" that includes flax for some higher Omega eggs that people seem to be glad to pay for.

You do have a system going on there! You get a lot of benefits from them thar roosters and eggs! lol I don't like killing them at all but I like eating them so I have to kill them first. lol Home grown chicken is so much better than what you buy at the store and better for you. At least you know what they have ate and any chemicals that went in them, same with the eggs. And how they house commercial egg layers is so pitiful. If everybody knew about that I bet eggs sales nationwide would drop big time. Some people wouldn't care but a lot would.

Like you, it is just something to do. The exercise is a plus and when you feed chickens at least you get something in return - meat and eggs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Petersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Samantha... is Heaven? Dec 24 In Jesus name amen 7
Deputy Tyler "Barney Fife" Brockman - Coward of... (May '14) Dec 21 Real time 61
Who Can Arrest Tyler Brockman? Dec 20 Sara Rose 6
Christianity... is a mental illness? Dec 20 Sara Rose 5
What Samantha Ramsey's homocide... justified? (May '14) Dec 16 Santa Claus 471
Thanksgiving Computer Sale Nov 29 shopper 2
Samantha Ramsey Nov '14 car007 9
Petersburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Petersburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Petersburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Petersburg