Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81774 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#93880 Nov 8, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Up drinking more dayquil. I dont know much about the Stewart guy but I know a thing or two about Melungeons. The ones around here claim to be Portigee -that's Melungeon for -from Portugal.
They are a tough lot, even more...down home? backwards? Lol I dont know how to put it.
They're even more hillbilly-ish than a regular hillbilly.
Often prone to hard liquor but not afraid of hard work. They usually marry other Melungions. They hardly ever get sick, they're good to have as friends and bad to have as enemies. They can eat old meat that you and I would likely die from LOL and not get the least bit sick.
They party like hell Saturday night but always show in (mostly Pentecostal) church on Sunday. They get mad easily but are willing to make up fast after a tussle.
Its hard to outshoot, outhunt, outfish outrun or more or less beat a Melungeon at any sport especially wrestling, they have there own style of fighting/wrestling and it works....I know that from experience. They are darker skinned than a regular poor white trash hillbilly but will fight about it if you tell them as much...All in all- an interesting, although dangerous lot.
I am up putting another log on the fire. I agree with everything you posted here although what I read is that the Portigee claim is a ruse based on bigotry and actual DNA studies have reflected that the Melungeons are descendants of sub-saharan African Males and European women mixed in with some Native American. A lawsuit from 1865 was the basis for the Portugese claim based on the fact that blacks could not own land, etc. while being Portugese was more acceptable. Some of the surnames listed include those from my maternal grandmother's side and she did have some of the physical traits of the Melungeons and was from the Appalachian area near Wise Virginia. I am not claiming to be a Melungeon although it would seem possible. Have a good day and Get Well soon.
Anne

United States

#93881 Nov 8, 2013
Melungeon? Over by Wise? Hmmmm. I know a few people that claim that as home. Now I've got to research that a little bit.
About 3o minutes ago i got a text from my nephew (21). And he was bemoaning the fact he "lost" a little keychain pocket knife checking in at the Orlando airport. The little knife had been a gift from us. They let him through with it when he left West Virginia but its gone now:-(
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#93882 Nov 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I am up putting another log on the fire. I agree with everything you posted here although what I read is that the Portigee claim is a ruse based on bigotry and actual DNA studies have reflected that the Melungeons are descendants of sub-saharan African Males and European women mixed in with some Native American. A lawsuit from 1865 was the basis for the Portugese claim based on the fact that blacks could not own land, etc. while being Portugese was more acceptable. Some of the surnames listed include those from my maternal grandmother's side and she did have some of the physical traits of the Melungeons and was from the Appalachian area near Wise Virginia. I am not claiming to be a Melungeon although it would seem possible. Have a good day and Get Well soon.
Well if you have a little Melungeon in you then you have some tough, long living, healthy stock. I think the trait of being kind of racist is a cultural thing, probably handed down and stemming from what you mentioned about how the Portugal thing got started. we still have a lot of that racist nonsense around here to this day believe it or not.
I have to say that the Melungions I'm familiar with are- for the most part- pretty racist.

Another interesting little clan, some live out Hazard way, are called the blue people, ever heard of them? Their shin is a translucent blue for some genetic reason.
Tatto

Hopkinsville, KY

#93883 Nov 8, 2013
Why is this an issue
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#93884 Nov 8, 2013
*Skin.
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#93885 Nov 8, 2013
Tatto wrote:
Why is this an issue
The plane! The plane!

Hush Tatto. Lol

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#93886 Nov 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>You are right on. That is why I keep them in the fridge. I started doing that when we had that glut of lady bugs and woke up with a cup full of teeth and bugs. YUK!!!! There are quite a few of those bugs again this fall-winter but not as bad as a few years ago.

Plus, I only wear the lower plate when I eat and is why I forget them sometimes since I don't eat out very often. Just the lowers are fake, uppers are still real for now.

Sounds to me like poor Imposter needs a nurse-caregiver worse than a nanny. I hope his condition does not require chicken-noodle soup. The only time I ever got really drunk, I tried eating that stuff a couple days later and when it came out with grease floating on top... I was sick again for 2 more days and now I do not drink whiskey or eat chicken-noodle soup. LOL
Hard life lessons. LOL
I'll have to put in my nurse outfit and go make a house call to poor Imposter. Hope I take the right thermometer-- always get those two mixed-up

Location hidden

#93887 Nov 8, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>Miss E, please speak American. That lit.... word is not even in my Random House Dictionary...But I think I get your drift!!

BTW, anyone around y'alls area ever heard of Newman's Ridge, Hancock County or Alex Stewart? What a very remarkable little ole pioneer of a man he was. Some 7 years ago we visited the Musuem Of The Appalachia and I bought a book about this man. Second time of reading it is just as good as the first. What can anyone tell me of the Melungeon people? Seriously........
I want to hear more about the Melungeon clan too. Interesting indeed!
If litigious isn't in that dictionary, we need to get you a new one and then sue the dictionary company. They should be aware that we really do live in a litigious society--
Lol
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#93888 Nov 8, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Hard life lessons. LOL
I'll have to put in my nurse outfit and go make a house call to poor Imposter. Hope I take the right thermometer-- always get those two mixed-up
The nurse outfit sounds great but lets use a tympanic thermometer please.
Those old kind scare me, there are two ways to lose: one- you get the rectal in the right place, even worse is two- you get the wrong one in the mouth by mistake.
Sorry Nanny, I'm not willing to chance either one of those Lol.
BTW I'm feeling a little better now.
Later.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#93889 Nov 8, 2013
@ Imposter, hope you feel better soon. Here's a simple solution for bad colds including congestion: Steamed ginger root. Once the pan is steaming, place a towel around your head and the cover yourself and the bowl. You can put some eucalyptis in there as well. Breathe in. Kinda like a sweat lodge effect. Vitamin C will help as well. A nasty little tablespoon of steeped ginger root garlic, honey and rock salt will help with colds as well. Are you a tea drinking man? lol. Try you some steeped violet leaves, licorce root and honey. Watch with the mullein if you're taking heart meds. You have a fine day and hopefully get better soon.
Sunny day here;)

Location hidden

#93890 Nov 8, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>The nurse outfit sounds great but lets use a tympanic thermometer please.
Those old kind scare me, there are two ways to lose: one- you get the rectal in the right place, even worse is two- you get the wrong one in the mouth by mistake.
Sorry Nanny, I'm not willing to chance either one of those Lol.
BTW I'm feeling a little better now.
Later.
Glad to hear you are feeling better!
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#93891 Nov 8, 2013
Hey thanks Misty! Guess what, I just got down the mullin leaves a few days ago, I better check on that.
I cant wait to get better, I need to get some wood worked up bad, I'm way behind this year, been using leftover wood from last winter.
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#93892 Nov 8, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear you are feeling better!
Glad to feel better thanks. I cant wait to get out and hammer on something, anything.
I cant hardly stand laying around for this long.

Location hidden

#93893 Nov 8, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>Glad to feel better thanks. I cant wait to get out and hammer on something, anything.
I cant hardly stand laying around for this long.
Are you referencing the your love life again? You should be more selective.
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#93895 Nov 8, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referencing the your love life again? You should be more selective.
I was talking about hammering...and....and... wood. No, I mean, hard wood....hammering on it...
My my.
I give up.Lol
amanda

United States

#93896 Nov 8, 2013
That just werid
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#93897 Nov 8, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Hey thanks Misty! Guess what, I just got down the mullin leaves a few days ago, I better check on that.
I cant wait to get better, I need to get some wood worked up bad, I'm way behind this year, been using leftover wood from last winter.
Mullein and violet are helpful if used occasionally. Three days of two cups a day should be beneficial. Bless you;) It is nature we must thank for her fine offerings;) I use homeopathic remedies myself. Haven't been to a doc since 2003;) Fine day to ya.

Location hidden

#93899 Nov 8, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text>Mullein and violet are helpful if used occasionally. Three days of two cups a day should be beneficial. Bless you;) It is nature we must thank for her fine offerings;) I use homeopathic remedies myself. Haven't been to a doc since 2003;) Fine day to ya.
I had a lot of success with licorice for my cough and dried eucalyptus hanging in the steamy shower is the best.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#93900 Nov 8, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a lot of success with licorice for my cough and dried eucalyptus hanging in the steamy shower is the best.
Thanks, will have hanging it in the shower. Stash makes a good licorice tea. I purchase licorice root from FloridaHerbHouse online. Many selections and large quantities. Asthma gets worse around here in the winter months. I do know mullein was used as a treatment for tuberculosis years ago;) Great idea, steam from the shower. Thanks for that idea.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#93901 Nov 8, 2013
I don't have a clue as to what I would do for a cold. I can't even remember the last time I had one (knock on wood). Perhaps it is because I am not around other people all that much and get fresh air outdoors regardless of the weather and I do not have central heat and air duct work for bacteria to grow in. Those new-fangled modern conveniences are not always good for one's health.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Petersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll What Samantha Ramsey's homocide... justified? (May '14) Fri car007 842
amanda (Nov '11) Jul 27 tits 3
Hebron Jukebox (Jun '12) Jul 26 Musikologist 14
what's this animal? Jul 23 Willow 2
high speed chase Jul 12 car007 4
what is going on at mclane? (Apr '14) Jul 10 Eujic 3
Is Tyler Brockman a child rapist? (Jun '14) Jul 3 car007 109
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Petersburg Mortgages