Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81692 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92465 Sep 10, 2013
Saw on the news today where Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's Civil War Medal of Honor was found in a book at a church sale and returned to the Maine museum where it was authenticated to be the real medal.

Chamberlain's 20th Maine regiment was charged with holding the extreme left flank of the Union lines at Gettysburg on "Little Round Top". After running out of ammunition and to keep the confederates from sweeping around their flank, he ordered a bayonet charge sweeping down the hill swinging like a "door". Chamberlain was not a career military leader but a former professor from Bowdoin College.
Tollesboro Guy

Lexington, KY

#92466 Sep 10, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Saw on the news today where Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's Civil War Medal of Honor was found in a book at a church sale and returned to the Maine museum where it was authenticated to be the real medal.
Chamberlain's 20th Maine regiment was charged with holding the extreme left flank of the Union lines at Gettysburg on "Little Round Top". After running out of ammunition and to keep the confederates from sweeping around their flank, he ordered a bayonet charge sweeping down the hill swinging like a "door". Chamberlain was not a career military leader but a former professor from Bowdoin College.
AW,
It is also noted that Lt. Holman S. Melcher ordered the bayonet charge but that proves not to be the case. Melcher had approached Chamberlain about going forward toward the confederate flank to recover some wounded men. There WERE out of ammo and he mentioned to Chamberlain that they would be fixing bayonets. Word spread so quickly that Chamberlain, when he did give that order found the men under Melcher's command already charging down the hill with bayonets fixed and the Confederates scattered... It is not the main point. IF the Union had lost at Gettysburg the Confederate Army "could" have marched unimpeded all the way to D.C. and entire outcome would have been changed.

And so went the "War of Northern Aggression"...
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92467 Sep 11, 2013
Tollesboro Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
AW,
It is also noted that Lt. Holman S. Melcher ordered the bayonet charge but that proves not to be the case. Melcher had approached Chamberlain about going forward toward the confederate flank to recover some wounded men. There WERE out of ammo and he mentioned to Chamberlain that they would be fixing bayonets. Word spread so quickly that Chamberlain, when he did give that order found the men under Melcher's command already charging down the hill with bayonets fixed and the Confederates scattered... It is not the main point. IF the Union had lost at Gettysburg the Confederate Army "could" have marched unimpeded all the way to D.C. and entire outcome would have been changed.
And so went the "War of Northern Aggression"...
yes you are correct. I read somewhere that Chamberlain (having been a professor) was just better at writing the story and was not even awarded the medal until later. And like most people, he most likely embellished the story to better include his own participation.

In my reading some authors claim that the main issues with that war involved money (on both sides), fear of the loss of same, status, and trying to force their beliefs on to others. Also that many people of the south did not favor the secession but it was pushed through by politicians desiring to be big fish in a smaller pond. Sounds much like current times.

I have recently learned that some benefits from that war with the Southern States out of the Congress included the western expansion with the HomeStead Act of May 1862, The National Currency Act of Feb 1862, and the awarding of lands for the building of the railroads and telegraph lines. Also that the literacy rates improved significantly since many needed to learn to read and write to exchange letters. I found it somewhat interesting, tht even after the secession the one thing that remained in the South under control of the Federal Government was the Post Office.
Imposter

London, KY

#92470 Sep 11, 2013
Anne wrote:
How many of you threaders got your AARP bulletin this week? On page 46 they compare prices between today and 50 years ago. They used a minimum wage from then and minimum wage now to tell how long a person would have to work to earn money for a half gallon of milk. Then? 25 minutes. Now? 21 minutes. But a tank of gas: 3.4 hours then and 8.4 hours for now.
One thing I don't understand is that "today" the typical CEO earns $4,615.38 per hour? Wow!$35,000.. Per day?? I knew I was poor but... Wow
I know what you mean Anne girl. Things are becoming very disproportionate.

Off subject- but did you ever play with those connect the dots books that form clear pictures if you did them right, when you was a little Anne?
I did. I really liked connecting those little dots, I still do. Remember now, old too tall loves you th. ;) That one was a wink AND a smile.
Not enough time for much of this topix stuff today- back to work.
Hi ho, Hi ho, its off to work I go....
Imposter

London, KY

#92471 Sep 11, 2013
Good stuff AW and TG...good stuff. Thanks fellows, I needed that.
qwerty

Buna, TX

#92474 Sep 11, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>
if you keep on with all that research you're going to figure out the secrete of the universe.
Oh, that's still a few weeks out.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92476 Sep 11, 2013
I did not think that a linear algorithm of a binary encoded hexadecimal expression of a dot matrix would hang around very long. More research is required. LOL
qwerty

Buna, TX

#92477 Sep 11, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I did not think that a linear algorithm of a binary encoded hexadecimal expression of a dot matrix would hang around very long. More research is required. LOL
Shhhhhh! The NSA is watching!
Imposter

London, KY

#92478 Sep 11, 2013
Oglala wrote:
It's been awhile since I stopped in, and I'm glad to see all are still here and posting. I enjoy everyone's observations regarding Creation. Round and round we go. How are the chickens, AW? Are you still doing the Dog/tree routine? Whatever happened to Abeliever. Haven't seen her posting recently. qwerty is a hoot, as usual. Hope to be back soon. Missed all you folks. Take care, and have a good night.
I miss her too. Glad your still dropping in from time to time.
That's one fine looking cat you've got there.
Imposter

London, KY

#92479 Sep 11, 2013
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>
Shhhhhh! The NSA is watching!
No doubt, and they took it down real fast. It must have mathematically proved something they dont want us to know about. Here's to you qwerty, scoal bro.
hehehe
Imposter

London, KY

#92480 Sep 11, 2013
qwerty has the best dang moniker I have ever seen in all my born days, and I've been to three worlds fairs and a goat roping contest. The pure genius of its simplicity....
Man Oh man.

0010111010111010000001 That is the answer...

If the question was translate into binary function. ie, B(f)=765568+1 that is.

(just to see if that also gets removed qwerty.)
Trial and error, the very foundation of the scientific process.

My new model stands.....for the time being.
qwerty

Buna, TX

#92482 Sep 11, 2013
Imposter wrote:
qwerty has the best dang moniker I have ever seen in all my born days, and I've been to three worlds fairs and a goat roping contest. The pure genius of its simplicity....
Man Oh man.
0010111010111010000001 That is the answer...
If the question was translate into binary function. ie, B(f)=765568+1 that is.
(just to see if that also gets removed qwerty.)
Trial and error, the very foundation of the scientific process.
My new model stands.....for the time being.
I'm more worried about the goat roping :-o
Imposter

London, KY

#92483 Sep 11, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Why did you have to go and get all technical? Everyone knows intelligence is relative.
Mine is, its my dear aunt Susie. hahahaha
Imposter

London, KY

#92484 Sep 11, 2013
Wolf I was looking at some levels at tractor supply a little while ago, and dont you know this thingamabob has placed an add for a real nice Irwin level right to my left on here.
Man I think they just finally made a sale. Its a right good sturdy looking level. Just what I need for when I re-firebrick the fireplace next month.
Wonderful technology, but it makes a man think he is being watched somehow or another.
Imposter

London, KY

#92485 Sep 11, 2013
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm more worried about the goat roping :-o
He he hehehe ahhhhahaha I came in hahaha a blistering third place qwerty.
qwerty

Buna, TX

#92486 Sep 11, 2013
Dear NSA,

I'd like to buy the world a home and furnish it with love,
Grow apple trees and honey bees, and snow white turtle doves.
I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony,
I'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92487 Sep 11, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>No doubt, and they took it down real fast. It must have mathematically proved something they dont want us to know about. Here's to you qwerty, scoal bro.
hehehe
Hexadecimal 2EC5D LOL
Anne

United States

#92488 Sep 11, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text> I know what you mean Anne girl. Things are becoming very disproportionate.
Off subject- but did you ever play with those connect the dots books that form clear pictures if you did them right, when you was a little Anne?
I did. I really liked connecting those little dots, I still do. Remember now, old too tall loves you th. ;) That one was a wink AND a smile.
Not enough time for much of this topix stuff today- back to work.
Hi ho, Hi ho, its off to work I go....
Yeah, uh huh. Dot. Dot. But all you brainy sorts on here can keep the dots and things...
Hope your work day went well. We had the craziest rain storm around 3:30 this afternoon. Couldn't see the pond 130 feet away! I was concerned about a tree falling and hitting the house. Alls well ... G'nite
Imposter

London, KY

#92489 Sep 11, 2013
We aint highfalutin brainy types Anne, some of us just like numbers, history, finding out where slang terms like highfalutin came from and stuff like that.

Don't you go feeling unwelcome in any way now girly.
And don't forget- imposter loves you.

I've posted under twelve or more names on here, fooling all but one that I know of, and you seen how I trolled hard when I trolled. You have also seen these are nice people here, stick around. True human beings are getting scarce these days.
Now I gotta go look up that unit or whatever it was he posted.
:)

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#92490 Sep 11, 2013
Imposter wrote:
We aint highfalutin brainy types Anne, some of us just like numbers, history, finding out where slang terms like highfalutin came from and stuff like that.

Don't you go feeling unwelcome in any way now girly.
And don't forget- imposter loves you.

I've posted under twelve or more names on here, fooling all but one that I know of, and you seen how I trolled hard when I trolled. You have also seen these are nice people here, stick around. True human beings are getting scarce these days.
Now I gotta go look up that unit or whatever it was he posted.
:)
Oh! So you love Anne--- do I mean nothing to you?(Taps toe of red heel)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Petersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kentucky man, transgender wife sue Amazon for w... Tue Atlanta Puppeteer 10
Who still remebers Tyler Brockman Mon Citizen 1
Edward kitts iii (Apr '13) Aug 6 Jack 3
News Life-Size Noah's Ark To Open Amid A Flood Of Sk... (Jul '16) Jul 23 Luther 9
Hey beautiful Jul 22 Seven hundred thirty 5
Hebron Jukebox (Jun '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 17
News Boone County holds summer Cleanup Days Jun '17 Doris 1

Petersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Petersburg Mortgages