Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,677

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#92321 Sep 3, 2013
My interest (some may even call it an obsession but that does not deter me) in the Civil War era is an attempt at finding my own identity since my grandmother was the daughter of a Union soldier and her husband (my grandfather) was the son of a Confederate.

Plus I live near two historically significant areas, that being Camp Dick Robinson where the Tenn. Orphaned Union sympathizers had enlisted and not far on from there on the north side of the Kentucky river is Camp Nelson where over 10,000 African-Americans were enlisted and trained after the Emancipation Proclamation freed any that joined, but did not free their wives and children that became camp refugees and were evicted from the camp where many starved.

One has to wonder how torn those former claves were as whether to fight for their own freedom versus concern for their starving families?
Anne

United States

#92322 Sep 3, 2013
This waking up at 3:30 Is for the birds!! Lol I'm glad I could grab a couple more hours shut eye!

While I've enjoyed the history stories on here, I'm not a genuine history buff. A couple years ago the job landed us in Maryland and I spent time meandering the country highways. Imagine my surprise when I pulled into a state park and there flew that confederate flag!! A confederate memorial park at lookout point. Then the time I spent in the panhandle of West Virginia was chock full of the confederate history and tours. For whatever reason I had mistakenly believed that area to be all union.

Good Morning! It's going to be a great day!! I'm starting to plan my northern trip and I hope I hit the most colorful time of year! Those endless mountains give quite the show!! Gettysburg is a planned stop. Then I always enjoy Lancaster county. This year I'm traveling alone so I get to see what I want, for as long as I want!!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#92323 Sep 3, 2013
Anne wrote:
This waking up at 3:30 Is for the birds!! Lol I'm glad I could grab a couple more hours shut eye!

While I've enjoyed the history stories on here, I'm not a genuine history buff. A couple years ago the job landed us in Maryland and I spent time meandering the country highways. Imagine my surprise when I pulled into a state park and there flew that confederate flag!! A confederate memorial park at lookout point. Then the time I spent in the panhandle of West Virginia was chock full of the confederate history and tours. For whatever reason I had mistakenly believed that area to be all union.

Good Morning! It's going to be a great day!! I'm starting to plan my northern trip and I hope I hit the most colorful time of year! Those endless mountains give quite the show!! Gettysburg is a planned stop. Then I always enjoy Lancaster county. This year I'm traveling alone so I get to see what I want, for as long as I want!!
I love my fall foliage trips. WV Babcock state park with the gristmill is a favorite and Ohio/Pennsylvania areas are nice. I want to see Vermont but haven't accomplished that yet. Time to head to work, maybe retirement will render me capable of seeing Vermont.
Till then--- heigh ho heigh ho. Off to work I go
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#92324 Sep 3, 2013
@Anne.. West Virginia became a state when it seceded from Virginia and that panhandle area still had many loyalities to old Virginia. The main issues being centered around the farming of the Shenandoah Valley versus the industrial coal mining region where many of the coal miners did not really care about the slave issue but supported the Southern cause since they feared that the freed slaves would take away their employment.

Maryland (a slave state) was the other border state besides Kentucky where the Emancipation Proclamation did not apply. Lincoln did not want to antagonize those two states to further push them into the Confederacy since they were already significantly divided. The Proclamation only applied to those states that had already seceded. Lincoln was quoted as saying that he would wish to have GOD on his side, but he must have Kentucky.

Gettysburg will be a good visit. I have been there twice and there were many Southern loyalties there as well even though it was considered a northern state. Even in some of the extreme north, there were many divided loyalties (and riots) stemming from the fear of the slaves gaining their freedom. Conversely, there were many Union loyalities in the South. It has never been a clear cut dividing line.
Tollesboro Guy

Lexington, KY

#92327 Sep 3, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Anne.. West Virginia became a state when it seceded from Virginia and that panhandle area still had many loyalities to old Virginia. The main issues being centered around the farming of the Shenandoah Valley versus the industrial coal mining region where many of the coal miners did not really care about the slave issue but supported the Southern cause since they feared that the freed slaves would take away their employment.
Maryland (a slave state) was the other border state besides Kentucky where the Emancipation Proclamation did not apply. Lincoln did not want to antagonize those two states to further push them into the Confederacy since they were already significantly divided. The Proclamation only applied to those states that had already seceded. Lincoln was quoted as saying that he would wish to have GOD on his side, but he must have Kentucky.
Gettysburg will be a good visit. I have been there twice and there were many Southern loyalties there as well even though it was considered a northern state. Even in some of the extreme north, there were many divided loyalties (and riots) stemming from the fear of the slaves gaining their freedom. Conversely, there were many Union loyalities in the South. It has never been a clear cut dividing line.
Speaking of KY history, many people forget we have a museum at beautiful Blue Licks Stat Park http://parks.ky.gov/parks/resortparks/blue_li...
Sadly, Daniel Boone's son was killed and is buried there. My wife is a native of Robertson county,(smallest county in the state)and attended Deming H.S. which burned to the ground shortly after the new (County School ) opened up, right outside the city limits so revenue flows to the county now, not the city. It is a beautiful park with full amenities (swimming pool, picnic pavilions, playgrounds, RV full service area & hiking trails)
A nice little bit of history right on HWY 68 towards Lexington from maysville.
Anne

United States

#92329 Sep 3, 2013
@AW. My better half had the opportunity to visit Gettysburg about a month ago and is encouraging me to spend a little time there. So that's in my plans. The day he spent there he kept texting me pics of everything that caught his attention. Lol.
@tollesboro guy. I've always enjoyed traveling around kentucky! We've used campers, tents and motels when we've traveled and hope to do a lot more traveling in the near future.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92330 Sep 4, 2013
@Mad Poet... a bit of Smithland... After Grant captured Paducah, he sent troops to Smithland where they set up 2 cannon breastworks overlooking the high ground at Smithland. Those breastworks were collectively known as Fort Smith and the larger breastworks was razed many years ago, but the smaller one survives on a wooded hilltop overlooking Livingston Central High School.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92331 Sep 4, 2013
A few months later, Rebel General Simon Bolivar Buckner (and later Governor of Kentucky) surrendered Fort Donelson (further up the Cumberland River) to his old pre-war pal U.S. Grant. Buckner supposedly had loaned Grant some money when Grant was down on his luck in 1945 and at the capture of Fort Donelson, Buckner reported that Grant tried to give him back the money but he would not accept it. Later Buckner served as a pall-bearer at Grant's funeral.

If my memory is correct, Buckner was also involved with trying to resolve the Hatfield-McCoy feud when he was Governor.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92332 Sep 4, 2013
*1845, not 1945 LOL
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92333 Sep 4, 2013
The Day the Civil war stopped.. At the death of Sister Mary Lucy Dosh, her Honor Guard consisted of 6 Union officers and 6 Confederate. She had nursed those back to health after an outbreak of typhoid fever in Paducah.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92334 Sep 4, 2013
Another interesting relic.. A Civil War trench at Bowling Green Kentucky is better known as a "Lover's Lane" for students at Western Kentucky University.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92335 Sep 4, 2013
At the surender of Fort Donelson, Rebel General Buckner invited Union General Lew Wallace to breakfast.

Later, Lew Wallace wrote the story "Ben Hur" played by Charleton Heston in the movie.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92336 Sep 4, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
*1845, not 1945 LOL
Early morning typing is horrible. It was really 1854. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92337 Sep 4, 2013
Tollesboro Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of KY history, many people forget we have a museum at beautiful Blue Licks Stat Park http://parks.ky.gov/parks/resortparks/blue_li...
Sadly, Daniel Boone's son was killed and is buried there. My wife is a native of Robertson county,(smallest county in the state)and attended Deming H.S. which burned to the ground shortly after the new (County School ) opened up, right outside the city limits so revenue flows to the county now, not the city. It is a beautiful park with full amenities (swimming pool, picnic pavilions, playgrounds, RV full service area & hiking trails)
A nice little bit of history right on HWY 68 towards Lexington from maysville.
It is reported that Harriet Beecher Stowe (sister of Abolitionist Henry Ward Beecher and author of Uncle Tom's Cabin) visited your area in 1833 and observed a slave auction which is depicted in her novel.

Enough history, now time to feed chickens and get ready to mow grass. LOL
Anne

United States

#92338 Sep 4, 2013
The little civil war tidbits you've thrown out are interesting.
There's a town named Buckner off I-71 exit 18. Oldham county. I'm sure it's named for the General/Govener you told about. There are several instances where a rebel became politically successful after the war. No grudges seem to be held. A "come on over and eat with us" type of thing.
The Sister using "half and half" for pall bearers drives home the fact that while there was all that heart felt bloody fighting, we are still, at the end of the day, just people making a living, living side by side, doing the best we can . But war will be with us always. Cain and Abel for starters...
The Lovers Lane in Bowling Green. Wonder if its haunted? I'd guess "yes". Talking about trenches-- there's a buffalo trail/trench right behind my property.

Good Morning! Have a wonderful day! Beautiful day so far! Suns out and the fog of this September morn is lifting. Time for a row around the pond in the rising mist! See ya all later!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#92339 Sep 4, 2013
Anne wrote:
The little civil war tidbits you've thrown out are interesting.
There's a town named Buckner off I-71 exit 18. Oldham county. I'm sure it's named for the General/Govener you told about. There are several instances where a rebel became politically successful after the war. No grudges seem to be held. A "come on over and eat with us" type of thing.
The Sister using "half and half" for pall bearers drives home the fact that while there was all that heart felt bloody fighting, we are still, at the end of the day, just people making a living, living side by side, doing the best we can . But war will be with us always. Cain and Abel for starters...
The Lovers Lane in Bowling Green. Wonder if its haunted? I'd guess "yes". Talking about trenches-- there's a buffalo trail/trench right behind my property.
Good Morning! Have a wonderful day! Beautiful day so far! Suns out and the fog of this September morn is lifting. Time for a row around the pond in the rising mist! See ya all later!
Perhaps the sun will dry out the grass and I can mow later today. In the meantime, I did some research and it does appear that the town was named for Simon Bolivar Buckner, Confederate General and Subsequent Governor of Ketucky. Who himself was named for "Simon Jose Antonio de la Santisima Trinidad Bolivar y Palacios Ponte y Blanco"... more commonly known as Simon Bolivar, a brillant South American General who won Venzuelan independance from Spain... Their version of our own George Washington. Good day and enjoy the row boat ride.
John

Westerville, OH

#92340 Sep 4, 2013
He used a drone and forgot to lock the location.
John

Westerville, OH

#92342 Sep 4, 2013
His next attempt would be perfect.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#92343 Sep 4, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Early morning typing is horrible. It was really 1854. LOL
I wonder if there are any civil war stories about the ladies of ill repute?
Surely the prostitutes had a role in the war
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92344 Sep 4, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if there are any civil war stories about the ladies of ill repute?
Surely the prostitutes had a role in the war
Yes there were plenty, especially around the Army of the Potomac with one leader being Union General Joe "Hooker". While the term had been in use to describe these ladies previously, it became even more popular under Joe Hooker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Petersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ramsey autopsy / bloodwork/ special prosecutor Mon Give it to a JURY 13
What Samantha Ramsey's homocide... justified? Oct 13 car007 412
Massie v Newberry: For 4th Congressional District? Oct 13 VOTE FOR MASSIE 4
To the Sheriff Oct 9 car007 2
Burlington Jukebox (Jun '12) Sep 26 Musikologist 13
Do all Boone Co men have vaginas? Sep '14 Anna K Brueggemann 0
anyone know josef (joe) burton (Jul '10) Sep '14 Thisisstupid 187
Petersburg Dating
Find my Match

Petersburg Jobs