President Obama's comment on SS, Disability and Vets checks

Posted in the Peru Forum

Coffee

Lafayette, IN

#1 Jul 13, 2011
President Obama said:

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it,"
boo

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jul 19, 2011
Coffee wrote:
President Obama said:

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it,"
That's really funny considering his going to a banquet on the 2nd where the tickets cost $38,500 a piece for his birthday/re-election fund. I don't mean to come across as rude to you but, if he can afford tickets for that party, he can damn well take the money raised and put it in the social security coffer. He doesn't need another term anyway. He just wants America to continue paying for his wife and kids to go globe trotting
Coffee

Lafayette, IN

#3 Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for your comment, Boo!

I read about his birthday bash and also about his Limo and getting fined in London and the disturbance created there.

I cannot come to terms with any of our leaders who would threaten the elderly, the disabled and those who have suffered for our freedom. Such a threat to not send Social Security, Disability and Vet's Checks, is completely unethical and in my opinion shows a complete lack of character to threaten the weakest part of society.

He probably would have had better results (if ANY threats were acceptable) to have threatened to suspend checks and benefits of all Federal Employees.
boo

Carmel, IN

#4 Jul 20, 2011
Coffee wrote:
Thanks for your comment, Boo!

I read about his birthday bash and also about his Limo and getting fined in London and the disturbance created there.

I cannot come to terms with any of our leaders who would threaten the elderly, the disabled and those who have suffered for our freedom. Such a threat to not send Social Security, Disability and Vet's Checks, is completely unethical and in my opinion shows a complete lack of character to threaten the weakest part of society.

He probably would have had better results (if ANY threats were acceptable) to have threatened to suspend checks and benefits of all Federal Employees.
I completely agree! The said on the news today that his threat to suspend(?) social security checks until an agreement can be reached is just a scare tactic. They reported that he can NOT stop or suspend payments of such checks because in doing so he would be breaking FEDERAL laws. We will have to wait and see if he's willing to follow through and risk prison time or if he's simply making idle threats in an effort to scare society. Personally, his choice of scare tactics can an quite possibly will result in several cases of heart failure as the impending date approaches. I think he should be charged with their deaths considering he was directly responsible for them.
Coffee

Lafayette, IN

#5 Jul 21, 2011
boo wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely agree! The said on the news today that his threat to suspend(?) social security checks until an agreement can be reached is just a scare tactic. They reported that he can NOT stop or suspend payments of such checks because in doing so he would be breaking FEDERAL laws. We will have to wait and see if he's willing to follow through and risk prison time or if he's simply making idle threats in an effort to scare society. Personally, his choice of scare tactics can an quite possibly will result in several cases of heart failure as the impending date approaches. I think he should be charged with their deaths considering he was directly responsible for them.
I do believe the checks in question will be mailed, sooner or later, but only after they have extracted all the political dissimulation from the situation. I read today how many states are making preparations in the event the checks are not mailed.

We, as individuals, would never walk up and threaten or attempt to apply any kind of scare tactic on any elderly or handicapped individual. If that kind of conduct is not beneath us, something is very wrong! In the least, President Obama's threatening vocalization was very careless and without thought.

Thanks for your reply "Boo". You made some very good points for us to ponder.
boo

Carmel, IN

#6 Jul 21, 2011
Coffee wrote:
<quoted text>I do believe the checks in question will be mailed, sooner or later, but only after they have extracted all the political dissimulation from the situation. I read today how many states are making preparations in the event the checks are not mailed.

We, as individuals, would never walk up and threaten or attempt to apply any kind of scare tactic on any elderly or handicapped individual. If that kind of conduct is not beneath us, something is very wrong! In the least, President Obama's threatening vocalization was very careless and without thought.

Thanks for your reply "Boo". You made some very good points for us to ponder.
And I in turn thank you! You have given me hope that there are others out there that see this is a problem. My mom and I watch fox news for most of our information. They are by far the most fair. Unfortunately most of the people I've met in this area are Obama supporters and honestly, I can't wrap my mind around that
Coffee

Lafayette, IN

#7 Jul 22, 2011
boo wrote:
<quoted text>
And I in turn thank you! You have given me hope that there are others out there that see this is a problem. My mom and I watch fox news for most of our information. They are by far the most fair. Unfortunately most of the people I've met in this area are Obama supporters and honestly, I can't wrap my mind around that
There certainly are a great number of Obama supporters but do they take time to be aware of the issues or are they actually “fans?”

I am concerned about a balanced budget because forty cents on every dollar spent by the U.S.A. is borrowed from another country. In addition, a large part of the borrowing is from a Country that does NOT share our values.

The money borrowed is tossed about without responsibility. For example, there are 87 different agencies and their employees looking over the shoulders of our teachers and all doing basically the same thing. Another example, is the $64 M stimulus bill to provide broadband service to an area in MT that already has five providers. The cost to the tax payers for this project is enormous.

Until Government stops the above nonsense and comes up with a serious and honest plan to balance the budget without laying the burden on the disabled, elderly, the veterans or some other weaker sector, it can only establish and raise more doubt with those who vote. The voting public will find it necessary to become more informed, stay up to date on issues and to be more selective when they go to the polls.

Thanks for your tip on watching the Fox Network. You certainly are well informed and a good example to others.

boo

Carmel, IN

#8 Jul 23, 2011
I do not know if you have children or not but my mom recently learned that the state of Indiana is no longer going to be teaching cursive writing in school. We are now added to the list of at least 40 states that no longer teach cursive writing. I fail to see how that's NOT deemed a necessity. You can sign your name without a signature and printing your name on a check, or other legal documents is not acceptable. They are doing a great disservice to the children of today.
boo

Carmel, IN

#9 Jul 23, 2011
It took me four tries to post my last comment. I kept getting 'error connection: failed to find value'. Not quite sure how the value would be hard find on that...
Coffee

Lafayette, IN

#10 Jul 23, 2011
boo wrote:
I do not know if you have children or not but my mom recently learned that the state of Indiana is no longer going to be teaching cursive writing in school. We are now added to the list of at least 40 states that no longer teach cursive writing. I fail to see how that's NOT deemed a necessity. You can sign your name without a signature and printing your name on a check, or other legal documents is not acceptable. They are doing a great disservice to the children of today.
Yes, I have two grown children. My daughter has a degree in Education from Purdue University and I assume that she keeps her teaching license current. At one time she worked in five different countries in Europe. She began nursery school at the age of 3-1/2 years old and when she was 33, I heard heard her say that she was not taking any new classes at the moment as she was tired of going to school...Laugh!! She's currently a co-owner of a business and yes, she still takes courses now and then. I tried to instill in both my children the importance of education. The more tools for living they acquire, the greater the chance they have of living the good life.

Cursive is not REQUIRED now in 46 states but educators here are saying it will not fade away if they have their way. Some consider it a form of art as individual as personality and the prediction is that those who take the course will be more employable than those who do not. Although it is not required, it has been deemed faster than keyboarding. I think it will continue to be around for awhile.

Thanks for introducing the topic. It's always nice to read your response.
boo

Peru, IN

#11 Jul 23, 2011
Coffee wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I have two grown children. My daughter has a degree in Education from Purdue University and I assume that she keeps her teaching license current. At one time she worked in five different countries in Europe. She began nursery school at the age of 3-1/2 years old and when she was 33, I heard heard her say that she was not taking any new classes at the moment as she was tired of going to school...Laugh!! She's currently a co-owner of a business and yes, she still takes courses now and then. I tried to instill in both my children the importance of education. The more tools for living they acquire, the greater the chance they have of living the good life.

Cursive is not REQUIRED now in 46 states but educators here are saying it will not fade away if they have their way. Some consider it a form of art as individual as personality and the prediction is that those who take the course will be more employable than those who do not. Although it is not required, it has been deemed faster than keyboarding. I think it will continue to be around for awhile.

Thanks for introducing the topic. It's always nice to read your response.
A good friend of mine is currently going to college. He had initially majored in education to become a teacher then changed his major when he learned they will no longer be teaching cursive and will instead be spending more money to ensure that every child has their own laptop
Coffee

Lafayette, IN

#12 Jul 23, 2011
boo wrote:
<quoted text>
A good friend of mine is currently going to college. He had initially majored in education to become a teacher then changed his major when he learned they will no longer be teaching cursive and will instead be spending more money to ensure that every child has their own laptop
A degree in education is a well rounded education that will enable someone to pursue a good many occupations. However, it takes a great deal of dedication to follow teaching and more likely than not the income is less than satisfactory. I onced asked my daughter if she would return to teaching and her reply was that she made too much money to do such a thing.

I think computers are a world of information at your finger tips. It would be more than advantageous if everyone had one to share with a child in a supervised manner.

I spend a good deal of time in open courseware sites such as Yale, University of WA, MIT,Notre Dame, Harvard, and even Alison. What are your favorite sites on the internet?
boo

Carmel, IN

#13 Jul 23, 2011
Coffee wrote:
<quoted text>A degree in education is a well rounded education that will enable someone to pursue a good many occupations. However, it takes a great deal of dedication to follow teaching and more likely than not the income is less than satisfactory. I onced asked my daughter if she would return to teaching and her reply was that she made too much money to do such a thing.

I think computers are a world of information at your finger tips. It would be more than advantageous if everyone had one to share with a child in a supervised manner.

I spend a good deal of time in open courseware sites such as Yale, University of WA, MIT,Notre Dame, Harvard, and even Alison. What are your favorite sites on the internet?
I don't actually get on the computer very often at all. I have an iPhone so I've downloaded several apps that are informational. I have the fox news app, google, and a few others that allow me to stay up to date on current events, news and politics. Although, most of my apps are educational based. I have apps that allow my 7 yr old to learn 8 different languages, in addition to US history and she could recite all of the presdents in order by first name before she was in the 1st grade and she'll be entering 2nd this year. While I do believe it's the teachers job to teach, I also believe that as parents, we do out children a great disservice if we don't do our part as well
Coffee

Lafayette, IN

#14 Jul 23, 2011
boo wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't actually get on the computer very often at all. I have an iPhone so I've downloaded several apps that are informational. I have the fox news app, google, and a few others that allow me to stay up to date on current events, news and politics. Although, most of my apps are educational based. I have apps that allow my 7 yr old to learn 8 different languages, in addition to US history and she could recite all of the presdents in order by first name before she was in the 1st grade and she'll be entering 2nd this year. While I do believe it's the teachers job to teach, I also believe that as parents, we do out children a great disservice if we don't do our part as well
A good parent is the most important thing a child will ever have. It is a good parent who directs the child to all the good that world has to offer and helps the child to explore safely. It is the parent who builds good character, establishes values, teaches healthy habits, nutrition, responsibility. behavior and helps the child learn to live in society and much more. Many teachers help along the way for a time but it is the parent who cares most about the child's adulthood, long term happiness, self-sufficiency etc.
Your 7 year old sounds as if she is blessed with a good ability AND a very good parent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peru Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer Miller in her STDs Dec 7 raiderman 2
Jennifer Miller Nov '14 raiderman 2
cute things your kids say / do (May '11) Nov '14 Richboy97 9
Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Oct '14 freetek 32
Peru, Indiana has an Aggressive Police Problem. (Apr '10) Oct '14 Ron 66
help Oct '14 fendii 1
Mexico's probe of army slayings raises doubts Oct '14 Concerned 1
Peru Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web