Things You Can Remember About Peru

Posted in the Peru Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Georgie

Columbus, OH

#1 Apr 18, 2008
I will start: I remember when the Naval Air Station at Bunker Hill reopened as an Air Force Base and had a squadron of B57 Hustlers.
curiosity killed the cat

Dickson, TN

#2 Apr 18, 2008
i remember when peru had jobs
Georgie

Columbus, OH

#3 Apr 19, 2008
I remember my dad telling me about the time John Dillinger robbed the Peru Police Department.
curiosity killed the cat

Dickson, TN

#4 Apr 23, 2008
i remember that old school building on west second street that someone turned into apartments. does anyone know the history on that place?
Blane

Springfield, IL

#5 May 5, 2008
I remember when Peru was a proud town!
Blane

Springfield, IL

#6 May 5, 2008
I remember when Peru have jobs and places to go to.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#8 May 5, 2008
Georgie wrote:
I remember my dad telling me about the time John Dillinger robbed the Peru Police Department.
Yes all they use was a bar of soap that he make it look like a gun.
pretty polly

AOL

#9 May 24, 2008
I really miss peru ,my hometown.I SURE HAD ALOT OF FUN GROWING UP THERE.Guess times have really changed since then or rather the people have.Not many stores left ,still have pretty much all the beer joints.I miss circus city days ,now when that no longer happens then Peru will certainly become a ghost town .Wish i could get the old gang togather but most of them are eighter dead or in prison .
Rick

Washington, DC

#10 Jun 16, 2008
Dillinger used a gun he carved out of wood to escape from a jail in Crown Point. Him and his boys used real guns to steal guns and ammo from the PPD.
Blane wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes all they use was a bar of soap that he make it look like a gun.
someone special

Glasgow, KY

#11 Jul 16, 2008
I grew uo there, and i miss it,although i was too young to realize all the things i know now,seeing as how i was 14 when i moved!there are not any jobs and there is nothing but churches and bars..uuuggghhh!
Interested Citizen

Bellefontaine, OH

#12 Aug 28, 2008
I remember when the Peru Trust Bank was robbed by Baby Face Nelson and gang. When they came out of the back they sprayed bullets up and down Broadway. The bullet marks are still on the courthouse.
mammacita

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Sep 3, 2008
The school house on W. 2nd Street was the Lutheran School. It was mowed down when the city decided it was unfit for habitation. The same slum lord owned the Cole Porter Birthplace. Luckily, it was saved. He still owns houses in Peru and most of them are currently up for sheriff's sale.
blkft9166

United States

#14 Sep 16, 2008
I can remember the wonderful smells of hot cashews and all the candies at G.C. Murphy's. And going to the roxy theater and what about the Jupiter 5&10 . Or riding the elevator at Singers dry goods . The lunch specials at Marty's cafe and the last for this note The golden Flash..
Jasper

Bellefontaine, OH

#15 Sep 19, 2008
You brought up a lot of great memories. My neighbor worked at the Golden Flash. Remember the sky thingy at Singers that would shoot upstairs to the cashier and back down with your change and receipt. I also recall going to the matinee at the Roxy and paying 14 cents for a lot of good entertainment. How about Cooks hardware store - a lot of good stuff there to look at.
blkft9166

United States

#16 Sep 25, 2008
well memory lane is working so well .. Late night coffee,and hot meals at either the truck stop on the west end or rutgers out east on old 24 or last but not least the R.R. dormitory resturant...more next time
Jasper

Bellefontaine, OH

#17 Sep 26, 2008
How about Smitty's hamburger place on east main or the frozen custard place on the west end....or the drive-in restaurant that sold the giant breaded tenderloins in the west end of town where the motel is now.
SavePeru

Central District, Hong Kong

#18 Sep 27, 2008
My partner and I run a website on myspace www.myspace.com/saveperu Its been a huge hit with the town of Peru. I'm 25 and love this town, there is so much work to be done with it though. The purpose of SavePeru is to inform people about whats going on around the town,hitory and other interesting facts about Peru. Were also about brining in jobs,shopping and other things that might help Peru out. But there are forces that have to be delt with before any Real Shopping or jobs come to Miami County or Peru. You can also check out are sister site that is in the works right now. www.projectsaveperu.com Its something were putting together that maybe someday we can move away form are main myspace site. I for one want my daughters to grow up in a town there proud to live in. And I know alot of other people feel the same way as myself and my parter.
D-Bailey

United States

#19 Sep 29, 2008
I grew up in Peru. I hated it when i lived there but now that I am grown (30) I miss it so much. I can remember walking throuhg piles of leaves down east fifth street in the fall to go to Lincoln School. It seemed like a long walk when I was 9 but now it seems so short. I have only visited once in the last ten years and everything seemed so small compared to Knoxville, TN where I live now.
blkft9166

United States

#20 Oct 1, 2008
Peru had alot years ago. Good times hard times and sad times .. MY first love was there. Very beautiful girl, she ecame my wife for a short while I lost her and a unborn child who a at rest just out side of town and I still have kin there that I never see but I read the tribune on line from time to time. And I enjoy traveling down memory lane with all of you .... Thank You
kay_56

Culdesac, ID

#21 Oct 8, 2008
blkft9166 wrote:
I can remember the wonderful smells of hot cashews and all the candies at G.C. Murphy's. And going to the roxy theater and what about the Jupiter 5&10 . Or riding the elevator at Singers dry goods . The lunch specials at Marty's cafe and the last for this note The golden Flash..
Hi
Hope I know you,What your name?
Yes! I remember same thing what you say.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peru Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tess?? Jun 17 Jkh 37
Has anyone noticed prostitutes in Peru? (Jul '15) Jun 15 Heidie Fleiss client 2
miami correctional center bunker hill indiana (Nov '08) Jun 15 google it 48
Young America Music Thread (Jul '14) Apr '16 Musikologist 4
Need to visit my friend in Miami corrections Mar '16 Rachelle 1
has anyone seen prostitutes in peru? (Jul '15) Nov '15 john 3
News About 400 sex offenders to be transferred to Ne... (Nov '08) Nov '15 Cowgirlsxcry 59

Peru Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peru Mortgages