Girl, 11, stops speeding van when mom...

Girl, 11, stops speeding van when mom is sick

There are 73 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 23, 2007, titled Girl, 11, stops speeding van when mom is sick. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

An 11-year-old girl stopped a van that went out of control when her diabetic mother became ill, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jim Mast

United States

#65 Apr 23, 2007
My Dad was what they called a brittle diabetic,in those days that was the hardest to manage,at about ten or eleven I began to learn what the signs were that Dad was in trouble. I also learned what to do. This child probably doesn't see her self as heroic. In her eyes she was just taking care of MOM. That's what kids do when family members have chronic health problems. To her I say" Great Job, keep it up"
Roane

AOL

#67 Apr 23, 2007
Thank God for one smart, brave young lady.
Linda - Herb

Apopka, FL

#68 Apr 23, 2007
We are the grandparents and we live in Florida. Wish we could have been there to help but it looks like God helped our grandaughter so wonderfully. We pray for the safety of our children and grandcchildren daily. God has answered our prayers once again.

“a girl with opinions”

Since: Apr 07

United States

#69 Apr 23, 2007
what a brave little girl. She deserves every bit of praise she is getting. I hope they give her an award of some kind!
because I can

Logansport, IN

#70 Apr 23, 2007
Meatball wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem angry. Is your sugar too high?
HA! HA!
Babygirl

AOL

#71 Apr 23, 2007
Way to go girl!
Of Sound Mind

United States

#72 Apr 23, 2007
Way to go, ABIGAIL PARKER !!!

THREE CHEERS FOR YOU, YOUNG LADY.

What a brave and courageous thing to do. You have every right to be proud of a job well done.

I hope your mother is well. I'll keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers, wishing you a happy and healthy life !!
ATs mom

Indianapolis, IN

#74 Apr 23, 2007
Congratulations to this mom on raising a little girl who can handle this kind of situation. I hope my little guy would react the same way!!
I am diabetic too

Indianapolis, IN

#75 Apr 24, 2007
shannon wrote:
I was okay at 23, so whever you are Dr. or not you do not know me or how my sugar is. so you dream on !!!!!<quoted text>
I'd say your meter malfunctioned...
VinceFoster

Mount Prospect, IL

#76 Apr 24, 2007
Always Something wrote:
<quoted text>.... I have suffered from these bouts--AND THEY HAVE BEEN UNANNOUNCED.. I went into a seizure like state and if it wasn't for my fiance for being in the car when I had my last bout while driving.... and :: you would be reading about me in the newspapers for hitting a telephone pole....
Or attending a funeral for the innocents that you killed.

Hang up your keys. NOW!

What's the difference between a drunk driver and someone who KNOWS that, due to a medical condition, they are not fit to operate a motor vehicle ? The drunk at least had intoxication as an excuse to drive without regard for the wellbeing of others.

Kudos to this little girl. She performed admirably under the conditions, but she should have never been put in that situation in the first place.
Meatball

Indianapolis, IN

#77 Apr 24, 2007
VinceFoster wrote:
<quoted text>
Hang up your keys. NOW!
What's the difference between a drunk driver and someone who KNOWS that, due to a medical condition, they are not fit to operate a motor vehicle ? The drunk at least had intoxication as an excuse to drive without regard for the wellbeing of others.
Kudos to this little girl. She performed admirably under the conditions, but she should have never been put in that situation in the first place.
Agreed, in a general way. But, in the mother's defense, maybe she tested her BG right before she left and was fine. Maybe her meter malfunctioned. Maybe she had a reaction to something. Maybe she has never had a low-BG event before, or was just diagnosed with Diabetes, or maybe a lot of things. It's not necessarily that the mother was being irresponsible, although that's very possible.
Always Something

United States

#79 Apr 24, 2007
VinceFoster wrote:
<quoted text>
Hang up your keys. NOW!
What's the difference between a drunk driver and someone who KNOWS that, due to a medical condition, they are not fit to operate a motor vehicle ?
Amazing... I did not know what was going on--until i went to the doctor... Now that I do know ( i am 4m onths pregnant and was dieting because I did not know I was!) I increased my diet and exercise as the doctor said: and I have yet to have another one. Thanks for your concern though :)
Dr DONT KNOW

Cave City, AR

#82 Nov 16, 2010
I have been 19 before and was walking around just fine. Not everyone with diabetes is the same or have the same symptoms. Don't be a stereotype. I have also been 60 and had a seizure. I have had type I diabetes for 16 years. I think I know a little bit about it.
Diabetic and a Dr wrote:
<quoted text>
I can also be shaking at 70 and sometimes OK at 60. But 23 ???
Not a chance, dearie. You'd be passed out or walking around incoherent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peru Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
miami correctional center bunker hill indiana (Nov '08) Jul 20 Anonymous 59
Brook Holland Jun 29 Jerkoff 3
KISS concert 10/31/1974 Peru Indiana May '17 Chris Yingling 1
sexual abuse hidden by the hall Apr '17 Megatron 2
Who do you support for State House in Indiana (... (Oct '10) Mar '17 anyname 7
michael sharp (Aug '12) Mar '17 doggle, 6
News US, Mexico at odds over deportation as top offi... Feb '17 Texxy the Selfie Cat 19

Peru Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peru Mortgages