Girl, 11, stops speeding van when mom is sick

An 11-year-old girl stopped a van that went out of control when her diabetic mother became ill, police said. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
yeah

Greenfield, IN

#1 Apr 23, 2007
Great Job!!
Meatball

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Apr 23, 2007
Wow, good job 11-year-old! On another note, blood sugar is something that can be controlled through diet, exercise, medication, etc, and sugar levels have to drop pretty low for a hypoglycemic person to become disoriented. I wonder what the mother did (skipped a meal, exercised too strenuously) to drop the sugars so low, and I wonder why, when she started to feel symptomatic (dizzy, tired, hungry, sweaty, cold, vision blurring or doubling) she did not pull the car over. It is unusual for a hypogycemic diabetic to become so disoriented without first having warning signs, usually enough in advance of a full-blown episode of hypogllycemia to pull a car over, for example.
Wow

Brookfield, WI

#3 Apr 23, 2007
What an outstanding young girl. That is an awesome story.

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Apr 23, 2007
wow we need more kids like her! way to go sweetie! your a hero!
la paris smith

New Lenox, IL

#7 Apr 23, 2007
i think that the girl was so brave and that she was not scared to take ovwer the wheel when her mother was in need.
Kim

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Apr 23, 2007
She truely is a hero and the city should give her some sort of reward. God bless the child!
Charlie Brown

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Apr 23, 2007
soo wrote:
where were the grandparents?
Why do you need to know? What does it have to do with the story? My kids don't have any grandparents.
Kenneth Bobco - Chicago

New Lenox, IL

#10 Apr 23, 2007
I'd feel safer on the highway with this 11-year-old than I do now with adults who talk on their cellphones while driving.
Reitz

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Apr 23, 2007
soo wrote:
where were the grandparents?
where were you?!
MS POLLY

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Apr 23, 2007
FIRST OF ALL IT DON'T MATTER WHERE HER GRANDPARENTS WHERE,THIS CHILD SAVED HER FAMILY LIFE,AND SOME OTHER FAMILY LIFE, BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE COULD HAVE GOT HURT , AND BY THE WAY WHAT HER GRANDPARENTS HAS TO DO WITH THIS
luxuary

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Apr 23, 2007
my childs father has disowned her all her life. no grandparents there. mine have passed away. no need to worry about where this childs grandparents are. just be proud that child saved her familys lives.
shannon

United States

#14 Apr 23, 2007
A person who does not have diabetes would not know how our sugar levels are affected. I can be at 70 and be shaking or at 23 and have no affects. Each diabetic person is different. So before you have a statement please get it right.
Meatball wrote:
Wow, good job 11-year-old! On another note, blood sugar is something that can be controlled through diet, exercise, medication, etc, and sugar levels have to drop pretty low for a hypoglycemic person to become disoriented. I wonder what the mother did (skipped a meal, exercised too strenuously) to drop the sugars so low, and I wonder why, when she started to feel symptomatic (dizzy, tired, hungry, sweaty, cold, vision blurring or doubling) she did not pull the car over. It is unusual for a hypogycemic diabetic to become so disoriented without first having warning signs, usually enough in advance of a full-blown episode of hypogllycemia to pull a car over, for example.
Double T

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Apr 23, 2007
Hey Meatball - are you a doctor or a dietitian?
Meathead

AOL

#17 Apr 23, 2007
Meatball wrote:
What Med School did you get your degree from Dr. Meatball?
Meatball

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Apr 23, 2007
shannon wrote:
A person who does not have diabetes would not know how our sugar levels are affected. I can be at 70 and be shaking or at 23 and have no affects. Each diabetic person is different. So before you have a statement please get it right.<quoted text>
I work for Roche Diagnostics, a leading maker of diabetic monitoring equipment. My job is to talk to patients on the phone, who are either entering into a diabetic emergency, or who have questions about the project. I'm also a certified DNE (diabetes nurse educator) and a type-I diabetic.

The woman may have been affected by hypoglycemic unawareness, but that is fairly rare...
tarzan

Burlington, IN

#19 Apr 23, 2007
WAY TO GO GIRL!! not only did she save her family but potentially other families on the road! she needs an award!!! Thanks little girl for stepping it up and being a hero! Three cheers for you!
TVS

United States

#20 Apr 23, 2007
Hooray for the hero! Her brother owes her a week of doing the dishes as a reward!
David

Cincinnati, OH

#21 Apr 23, 2007
What a wonderful child... Enough Said.
Diabetic and a Dr

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Apr 23, 2007
shannon wrote:
A person who does not have diabetes would not know how our sugar levels are affected. I can be at 70 and be shaking or at 23 and have no affects. Each diabetic person is different. So before you have a statement please get it right.<quoted text>
I can also be shaking at 70 and sometimes OK at 60. But 23 ???
Not a chance, dearie. You'd be passed out or walking around incoherent.
David

Cincinnati, OH

#23 Apr 23, 2007
What a wonderful child... Parents should be proud.. Enough said..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peru Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer Miller in her STDs Dec 7 raiderman 2
Jennifer Miller Nov '14 raiderman 2
cute things your kids say / do (May '11) Nov '14 Richboy97 9
Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Oct '14 freetek 32
Peru, Indiana has an Aggressive Police Problem. (Apr '10) Oct '14 Ron 66
help Oct '14 fendii 1
Mexico's probe of army slayings raises doubts Oct '14 Concerned 1
Peru Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web