Man who jumped from Victory Bridge Thursday identified

There are 17 comments on the Courier News story from Jul 8, 2008, titled Man who jumped from Victory Bridge Thursday identified. In it, Courier News reports that:

Authorities have identified the person who jumped off Victory Bridge Thursday morning as 51-year-old Michael Slekitis of Garwood.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Courier News.

Lola

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Jul 8, 2008
When I participated in the Civilians Police Academy in Perth Amboy a few years ago I stated with others that bridge was a major concern without some kind of bars or some sort of block to wear people could not jump (something like they have at the Empire State Building). Now anyone who has severe instability will remember that bridge and its success of suicides. Something should be done to renovate it.
UGH

Somerset, NJ

#2 Jul 10, 2008
An unnerving number of the posts on this forum are about people jumping to their death from that bridge.
Amboy person

Williamstown, NJ

#3 Jul 10, 2008
I cant believe it. Another one. I really dislike that bridge. Its evil.
Kilmer Postal

Springfield, NJ

#4 Jul 11, 2008
I knew Michael Slekitis for many years as a good co-worker and a good friend. He worked at the Kilmer Postal Facility and was there the night before his death even though he worked the day shift. I wish I knew he was having problems, I would really liked to have talked to him. When we heard the news, it was almost unbelievable because "Mikey" as he was well known, was never seen unhappy or upset by any of us. He ALWAYS was smiling. He was liked by some, loved by most and will be missed by all. R.I.P. "Mikey"
jerseygirl

Scotch Plains, NJ

#5 Aug 20, 2008
i hate that bridge, it just beckons evil.
tom sleckman

San Francisco, CA

#6 Sep 9, 2008
I am a cousin of Michael's, though I never met him. My grandfather, Jonas Slekaitis and his great-grandfather Casimir Slekaitis were brothers. Both were born on Bartninkai, Lithuania, near the Prussian border in 1882 and 1865 respectively. Casimir (or Charles) arrived in the US about 1899 and settled in Elizabeth (or Elizabeth Port) and lived on 78 Wall St and died in 1957. Sponsored by his older brother Casimir, Jonas (or John) arrived in the US in August 1901 after spending a year in the mines of Scotland, settled in Kearny, NJ on Davis Ave, worked at the Worthington Pump factory and died in 1933 while listening to the Joe Louis- Schmeling fight on the radio.
May the Circle be Unbroken
kerthialfad@gmail.com
Linda Slekitis

Woodbridge, VA

#7 Sep 12, 2008
Michael Slekitis was my first cousin on my father's side. I hadn't seen Michael in over 30 years but remember him as a thin, quiet boy. Sad to hear the news. Rest in peace cuz. Linda
Randy

Salt Lake City, UT

#8 Sep 13, 2008
I was still a child the last time I saw Michael, and he was a young man. My thoughts are with his family, my Uncle Ray and Aunt Phyllis and Michael's wife, Marcia. God rest his soul.
Joseph Spielman

United States

#9 Nov 1, 2009
I had moved away from NJ two years ago. I worked with Mikey at the post office out on the platform (working with the 40 ft trucks - loading and unloading mail) from 1987-1997. Mikey was always happy and just loved to have fun. He had a house down the shore and a place in garwood. Apprently he had got the house down the shore for his wife at the time but they she did not spend much time there. I rember him driving like two hours to and from the shore home and thinking i could never do that. I remember the fun we had just ice skating around friday nights at the new woodbridge rink when it was built near the woodbridge mall years ago. I had not talk to mikey in a year and was just horrified when i did a blind search on the internet for mikey name. I am very disturbed and saddened by his passing. God rest his soul. Mikey was a great guy. He was always happy when i knew him. What could have made him do this?
spielmanj@embarqmail.com

Resident

East Orange, NJ

#10 Nov 2, 2009
Its not the bridge, its the nuts that jump-off of it.
Joseph Spielman

United States

#13 Nov 2, 2009
Resident wrote:
He wasn't nuts, you jerk!!
Tom P

Lawrenceville, GA

#14 Nov 4, 2009
Resident wrote:
AMEN !
saneman22

Shirley, NY

#15 Nov 7, 2009
He was nuts, he jumped of a bridge. A person who is not nuts, does not do that. We don't need to wast more tax payer dollers to stop people from jumping off a bridge. If you want to end your life, go ahead and do it. Better to jump off a bridge or shoot your self then try doing it in a car or something and hurt people that want to live.
jersey girl

Bayville, NJ

#16 Dec 13, 2009
It is sad to see how people is ready to judge based on their own little world...
Resident

East Orange, NJ

#17 Dec 21, 2009
Normal people don't jump off bridges!
The man by his actions was mentally failing.
Lets all blame the bridge, that makes easy.
Dot Mulherin

Clifton, NJ

#18 Dec 23, 2009
Lets hope more of these crazy bastards jump off the bridge. Perhaps if enough of you suckers jump, we would have less traffic around here. Plus, if enough of you tools jump from the the same bridge, maybe we could become famous for it (you know, Guiness book, etc...)! Hey, lots of folks are depressed around the holidays. Here's your chance to make a statement and go out in style!
Dot Mulherin

Clifton, NJ

#19 Dec 23, 2009
Hey, speaking of the holidays, Grandma got run over by a reindeer? Walking home from our house Xmas Eve? Who the %^*= makes poor granny walk home in the middle of winter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Perth Amboy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Perth Amboy is a dump cause its filled with Low... (Mar '12) May 17 Pay Back 71
News Metuchen man hit by car May 12 SHARON J 2
Trying to find an old friend of mine May 11 Mdelude 2
News New book by Dick Cheney takes on Barack Obama May 9 xplode 282
Gary Flynn is a filthy scumbag May 6 John A Collins 1
News behind bars at Big Shots (Jan '08) May 3 Alex Santos 46
Ferry Service to NY (May '07) Apr 30 waiting 509
More from around the web

Perth Amboy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE