Earth Sheltered Homes
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Randy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#1 Jan 8, 2013
Looking for an experienced builder to build a earth sheltered home similar to the ones found in this link?(I think these people are in Texas and I am only attaching their link for reference).

http://www.earthshelteredhome.com/

Does anyone know of an earth sheltered home in or near Perry County? I am buying about 25 acres in SE Perry County. My wife is deathly afraid of the tornadoes and I am thinking our heating and cooling bills would be lower.

Any help, input or advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Randy Hillson
Who

Brighton, MO

#2 Jan 8, 2013
So pretty much a basement house. You would have better luck asking in the Perry County sellers club on Facebook. There you will get real answers from people. On this site everyone will find something to criticize and the the topic will get moved onto something else.

“Got Logic?”

Since: Nov 08

Perryville

#3 Jan 8, 2013
Randy wrote:
Looking for an experienced builder to build a earth sheltered home similar to the ones found in this link?(I think these people are in Texas and I am only attaching their link for reference).
http://www.earthshelteredhome.com/
Does anyone know of an earth sheltered home in or near Perry County? I am buying about 25 acres in SE Perry County. My wife is deathly afraid of the tornadoes and I am thinking our heating and cooling bills would be lower.
Any help, input or advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you very much,
Randy Hillson
I've always wanted one of those too.
Randy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#4 Jan 8, 2013
Who wrote:
So pretty much a basement house. You would have better luck asking in the Perry County sellers club on Facebook. There you will get real answers from people. On this site everyone will find something to criticize and the the topic will get moved onto something else.
Yep, thought about the negative responses but I am pretty thick skinned...doesn't hurt to fish! Thanks for the info at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Perry-County-S...
Never heard of before today.

Randy
butterfly

United States

#5 Jan 8, 2013
there is one in lithuim just off of m road
I was in it once a few years a go it was real nice then
was told 68 degrees year round in side
Lynn

United States

#6 Jan 8, 2013
Randy wrote:
Looking for an experienced builder to build a earth sheltered home similar to the ones found in this link?(I think these people are in Texas and I am only attaching their link for reference).

http://www.earthshelteredhome.com/

Does anyone know of an earth sheltered home in or near Perry County? I am buying about 25 acres in SE Perry County. My wife is deathly afraid of the tornadoes and I am thinking our heating and cooling bills would be lower.

Any help, input or advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Randy Hillson
I have an earth contact with large windows across the front facing southeast.
Don't think I could manage without direct sunlight.
Average utilities is $92/mo year round heating 2,200 sq. ft
Lynn

United States

#7 Jan 8, 2013
Check with your bank if you plan on financing. Not sure if banks in this area will finance.
Earth contact loans require a substantial down payment. Some banks won't finance this type home at all.
Biff

Arvada, CO

#8 Jan 9, 2013
The extinction of the wooly mammoth was a telltale sign.
Randy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#10 Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for the responses. Lynn, I've heard the same things about banks, but fortunately I believe I won't need a bank as I have been saving for quite a bit.$92 a month for heating is one of the reasons I want to explore. I had planned to have very large windows across the entire front - floor to second floor ceiling... and facing primarily to the South and East. Do you have any information to share on who built your house?

Thanks very much.
Lynn

United States

#11 Jan 9, 2013
Randy wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Lynn, I've heard the same things about banks, but fortunately I believe I won't need a bank as I have been saving for quite a bit.$92 a month for heating is one of the reasons I want to explore. I had planned to have very large windows across the entire front - floor to second floor ceiling... and facing primarily to the South and East. Do you have any information to share on who built your house?

Thanks very much.
Our home is 15 years old and was custom built by the original owner.
Randy, it's difficult to find a reputable builder, believe me, we've searched.
Our hope was to downsize but that didn't materialize. If you do find a contractor please get every detail in writing. I can't emphasize enough the importance.
What type heating system will you use?
Have you considered radiant floor heat?
Large south/east windows sounds like a wise decision.
Randy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#12 Jan 9, 2013
Lynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Our home is 15 years old and was custom built by the original owner.
Randy, it's difficult to find a reputable builder, believe me, we've searched.
Our hope was to downsize but that didn't materialize. If you do find a contractor please get every detail in writing. I can't emphasize enough the importance.
What type heating system will you use?
Have you considered radiant floor heat?
Large south/east windows sounds like a wise decision.
Thanks Lynn,

I agree... "everything in writing."
First choice of heating is radiant floor with some form of constant passive or forced air circulation to equalize moisture and temperature. Second option is propane forced heating and air. I've seen some "ugly" facades with small frontage windows that would create a dark and dreary interior. I'm popping for large insulated windows that will capture as much sun and daylight as possible coupled with nice outdoor semi-protected patio areas. Kitchen and great room in the front and atrium to the second floor allowing light to flow into as much of the house as possible....around 2500 square feet....now, if I could just find a reputable "builder" in SE MO or nearby...again, thanks for your input...it is much appreciated.
Lynn

United States

#13 Jan 9, 2013
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks Lynn,

I agree... "everything in writing."
First choice of heating is radiant floor with some form of constant passive or forced air circulation to equalize moisture and temperature. Second option is propane forced heating and air. I've seen some "ugly" facades with small frontage windows that would create a dark and dreary interior. I'm popping for large insulated windows that will capture as much sun and daylight as possible coupled with nice outdoor semi-protected patio areas. Kitchen and great room in the front and atrium to the second floor allowing light to flow into as much of the house as possible....around 2500 square feet....now, if I could just find a reputable "builder" in SE MO or nearby...again, thanks for your input...it is much appreciated.
We use propane and like the warmer feel. Geothermal is a "cooler" heat. I hope this makes sense.
Get more than one reference when choosing a builder. I've been burned so I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Sounds like you have some well planned ideas..large insulated frontage windows, light flow, etc.
Solar is a good idea if applicable.
Good Luck and keep this thread updated.
frustrated

Chesterfield, MO

#14 Jan 9, 2013
Randy, my son was going to buy a basement home from some of the neighbors and there was a problem with the bedroom windows. This home was built with no windows in the bedrooms and the banks wouldn't finance it. The neighbors had to excavate around the house and add windows to each bedroom . Don't know if this will apply in your case but it is something to check.Good luck
Doug

Novato, CA

#15 Jan 10, 2013
Well, this is a refreshing and very interesting post. It's great to see decent people posting relevant and helpful information. Good luck Randy.
Guest

United States

#16 Jan 10, 2013
The Topix location (town or city) speaks volumes with regard to the character of those who post.
Overall, I am impressed with Perryville posters and enjoy visiting this site.
Randy

Fairfax, VA

#17 Jan 10, 2013
Good luck doug.
Guest 2

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Jan 10, 2013
Randy did u buy that 7 acre plot in crosstown?? If so my husband and i eyeballed that same piece of ground and had the same earth home idea. Hope it works out for ya
Randy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#19 Jan 11, 2013
No, it is 25 acres and is not near Crosstown.
interesting

United States

#20 Jan 11, 2013
Randy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#21 Jan 22, 2013
Can anyone give some advice on what type of internet service is available in the rural Perry County? thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Perryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jr m 4 min CC Rider 7
TLM Closing 1 hr concerned citizen 8
factory connection girl 2 hr concerned citizen 5
gilsters black man on nights (Dec '10) 6 hr Tim 7
James Hasty got rolled by a hooker in Shreveport 8 hr Jesus On A Stick 666 2
Hookers 9 hr Jesus On A Stick 666 19
TG Missouri 13 hr bangbangbang 107

Perryville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Perryville Mortgages