School board cancels addition

School board cancels addition

There are 12 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jun 11, 2008, titled School board cancels addition. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The Baltimore County school board voted unanimously last night to rescind its approval of a proposed 400-seat addition at Loch Raven High School.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Still Teaching

Washington, DC

#1 Jun 11, 2008
It's great to see the Board come to its senses, even at this very late state. However, it is clear that the Board has failed miserably to provide its critical role in the budget process and has been a patsy to Jim Smith's agenda. They need to display greater independence and authority than they have in the past several years. They also need to take responsibility for investigating and researching proposals that are being thrust at them for fast-track approval.
Tom

Towson, MD

#2 Jun 11, 2008
Good. Now they can take that money and pay the teachers what they deserve!!!
Os Fan

Manassas, VA

#3 Jun 11, 2008
No comment from Gentle Jim Smith? This is twice now that the school board has bucked up against him in the past couple of months. So is this money for the Loch Raven project only to be spent on new construction or can the school board now allocate it however they want? Where did Gentle Jim come up with that money in the first place and if he could find that money, how come he couldn't find money to give at least a cost of living increase in salary to the staff of BCoPS? Hmmm...
SLP Mom

Towson, MD

#4 Jun 11, 2008
I am glad to see the Board stop rubber-stamping JimSmith!! I suggest the $$$ be allocated to the hard-working, dedicated people who teach our kids and to air-conditioning some schools! In this hot weather, the evironment is not conducive to learning and is sometimes a health threat!
Not A Native Of Maryland

Butler, MD

#5 Jun 11, 2008
When will the people of Baltimore County and Maryland realize that these school board do not answer to us. Since they are appointed by the Governor and his crones and answer only once to get the job.
Wise up people and demand that you have the right to an elected school board. Only then will you get the type of board that will answer to "we the people".
This board will not answer to either the teachers, parents, students or voters until they have to ask us for the job every 2 years.
Yes I do work for the school board and would like a cola to cover the high cost of living nowadays.
Johnny Apple Seed

Manassas, VA

#6 Jun 11, 2008
The children that do not belong in Baltimore County schools, need to go. Appointed boards. So what, there are worse things in the world. MY GOD, you are pretty petty on appointments.

Schools are not rocket science. Will our next country executive or current governor offer to fix this inherited problem? We are now a third world country unfaithful to our children at the worlds expense.
name not important

United States

#7 Jun 11, 2008
Outrageous. County Exec trying to operate with some financial sanity versus very vocal and loud and well to do minority that has to have "new" school for their children at the expense of all tax payers, in an area that has been quite studied already. No, the money won't go to the teachers, construction financing and salary financing are quite different budgets. Shoot, why don't we just build all new schools for every child, that would be 'fair'.
Johnny Apple Seed

Manassas, VA

#8 Jun 11, 2008
Change the school board and budget only every two years and save some dough.
Set and match

Manassas, VA

#9 Jun 11, 2008
Well, I see the people have a choice and no reason to complain, again. The next time someone steals my ideas and start to act and cry like a lying fool. You get what you paid for and voted for. Love the environmental for one reason, the good future of our children. Kisses and hugs. Love my country. Me
Connie

Glen Burnie, MD

#10 Jun 12, 2008
Well, now the kids can sit 50 children per room. Why to go school board... duh!!!!!!!!!!
name not important

United States

#11 Jun 13, 2008
Connie wrote:
Well, now the kids can sit 50 children per room. Why to go school board... duh!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, school board really botched this one up, now we'll have lots of nice parking lots all over the place.
martin ewah

Waldorf, MD

#12 Jun 15, 2008
Jim Smith is not getting it done. Period. But I'm sure he got a raise, unlike County teachers and staff. And Joe Hairston got a raise too. This was right after they decided not to give the teachers one. It's tough when everyone else takes credit for teachers hard work, but quickly point at the teachers when the children decide that they want to fail. That's right, I said it. The children decide that they are going to fail, and then they do. It's not the teachers fault. It is solely theirs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Perry Hall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Muslim leader refutes concerns, vows Joppatowne... Oct '17 Joppa 2
News Muslim group works to ease concerns about Joppa... Oct '17 blacklagoon 3 2
News Concerns about 'Muslim only' development spark ... Sep '17 KeepAmericaFree 2
News $32M Project to Widen I-695 in Parkville, Md., ... Aug '17 oscor 1
News Towson grad Kacy Catanzaro advances to city fin... Jul '17 marco 1
Im 14 gay and like rough sex (Nov '14) May '17 jakebon 2
News Rat eradication pilot program kicking off in ni... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Fitus T Bluster 1

Perry Hall Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Perry Hall Mortgages