Procession marks 'historic moment in ...

Procession marks 'historic moment in the life of the church'

There are 49 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Jun 21, 2009, titled Procession marks 'historic moment in the life of the church'. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

The annual Fiesta de Santa Fe procession of about 1,000 faithful from the Cathedral Basilica of St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
MichaelMichael

AOL

#1 Jun 22, 2009
Now that is miraculous for Rosalina Velasquez to not miss one year for 65 years what an incredible lady indeed!
NM Doc

Rio Grande City, TX

#2 Jun 22, 2009
Wonder how Native Americans that still honor THEIR past view this veneration?
why not

United States

#3 Jun 22, 2009
NM Doc wrote:
Wonder how Native Americans that still honor THEIR past view this veneration?
go to the Portal and ask them.
you do know

United States

#4 Jun 22, 2009
that they bring the statue back next Sunday?
Terry

Los Alamos, NM

#5 Jun 22, 2009
Yup, La Conquistadora returns next Sunday, not in September. Also was missed the not insignificant point that this procession is a prelude to the nine day, i.e. "Novena", that concludes with next Monday's Mass.
fiesta

United States

#6 Jun 22, 2009
ok now that that's over let's everyone on the fiesta committees get drunk and celebrate the conquest of the Native Americans, which is defined as a rebellion by Indians, well why do people rebel, amybe because that are mistreated because of conquest, just like thanks giving let's celebrate beating the native americans, the Casino god's have kinda balanced the books.
Sam

Los Alamos, NM

#7 Jun 22, 2009
This should be the cover story not the story about the tennis country singer.
Nancy R in KC

Kansas City, MO

#8 Jun 22, 2009
Pray for peace? What immense irony, considering that the Spaniards broke up the Native American's peace in 1609. As for the rebellion of 1680, they got what they asked for; and their return in 1692 (see paragraph 10 of the article) was anything but peaceful.

I love northern New Mexico as much as the next guy, but when I'm there each fall, I try really hard to keep this bit of conquest history right in the front of my mind. It's on my list of "lest-we-forgets."

Since: Jul 08

Cerrillos, NM

#9 Jun 22, 2009
Nancy R in KC wrote:
Pray for peace? What immense irony, considering that the Spaniards broke up the Native American's peace in 1609. As for the rebellion of 1680, they got what they asked for; and their return in 1692 (see paragraph 10 of the article) was anything but peaceful.
I love northern New Mexico as much as the next guy, but when I'm there each fall, I try really hard to keep this bit of conquest history right in the front of my mind. It's on my list of "lest-we-forgets."
Don't come in the fall and you don't have to think about it or witness it.

Since: Jul 08

Cerrillos, NM

#10 Jun 22, 2009
Terry wrote:
Yup, La Conquistadora returns next Sunday, not in September. Also was missed the not insignificant point that this procession is a prelude to the nine day, i.e. "Novena", that concludes with next Monday's Mass.
Yeah, I thought it wasn't a very well written article either. It was obvious the writer didn't do his research or ask the right questions. Still, it was quite a lovely day. I took my mother, who grew up here and had never been in the procession!
Nancy R in KC

Kansas City, MO

#11 Jun 22, 2009
MiaFeliz wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't come in the fall and you don't have to think about it or witness it.
What I'm saying is that we owe it to each other to remember such things. And appreciation of history enriches our experience, no matter where we are.
Blessed

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Jun 22, 2009
" Iam the Lord your God and you shall not have any false gods before me" Stop worshipping idols, please!!!!
Angelique Angel

United States

#13 Jun 22, 2009
Blessed wrote:
" Iam the Lord your God and you shall not have any false gods before me" Stop worshipping idols, please!!!!
Catholic's do not worship false gods or have idols. If you actually did research and informed yourself you would know that we pray to the Blessed Virgin for intercession with Our Lord. Who better to ask Christ for help on our behalf then his own mother that he loved so much. So before you post something about another religion you should actually look up and inform yourself of thier beliefs.
dpb

Santa Fe, NM

#14 Jun 22, 2009
Archbishop Michael J. Sheehan (claims) "the 'peaceful return of the Spanish' to the city in 1692 after their ouster by the Pueblo Indians in 1680."

However the truth is the Spanish "had to fight their way into Santa Fe," and when the city had been reconquered, de Vargas ordered that 70 of the Indian men be killed and the "women and children were distributed as servants to the colonialists."

Just another twisting of history by a twisted man. What a shame Catholics follow this pedophile supporting liar.
Mark

Oakland, CA

#15 Jun 22, 2009
Blessed wrote:
" Iam the Lord your God and you shall not have any false gods before me" Stop worshipping idols, please!!!!
I didn't know that our Lord was from Tallahassee, and am glad to learn it. Hey, Burt Reynolds went to college in Tallahassee. Maybe he is God.
Mark

Oakland, CA

#16 Jun 22, 2009
MiaFeliz wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't come in the fall and you don't have to think about it or witness it.
This is a frankly offensive comment. Because Nancy recognizes the horrible oppression of the native Americans by the Spanish (not to minimize the horrible oppression of the native Americans by the Anglos), Happy Mia suggests that Nancy not visit N. New Mexico? I think Mia is unhappy, not to mention defensive.

Since: Jul 08

Cerrillos, NM

#17 Jun 22, 2009
Nancy R in KC wrote:
<quoted text>
What I'm saying is that we owe it to each other to remember such things. And appreciation of history enriches our experience, no matter where we are.
I do agree. We need to study our history and understand our past.

Since: Jul 08

Cerrillos, NM

#18 Jun 22, 2009
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a frankly offensive comment. Because Nancy recognizes the horrible oppression of the native Americans by the Spanish (not to minimize the horrible oppression of the native Americans by the Anglos), Happy Mia suggests that Nancy not visit N. New Mexico? I think Mia is unhappy, not to mention defensive.
No... I didn't mean it to be offensive. I recognize that part of our local history as well. Believe me I know the local history and am fully aware of the oppression of Native Americans through out the Nation.

All I was saying was that if particularly troubles Nancy when visiting, it's probably a time she shouldn't visit the area.

Thanks for your insight, Mark.
MariA

AOL

#19 Jun 22, 2009
I remember how special this procession was to my grandma when I was a child. I no longer agree with the "reason" for it, and it's also become a freak show for the NEW Santafeans to watch.
Nancy R in KC

Kansas City, MO

#20 Jun 22, 2009
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a frankly offensive comment. Because Nancy recognizes the horrible oppression of the native Americans by the Spanish (not to minimize the horrible oppression of the native Americans by the Anglos), Happy Mia suggests that Nancy not visit N. New Mexico? I think Mia is unhappy, not to mention defensive.
Thank you, Mark! I thought it sounded a little sour, but retaliatory comments don't help against a sourpuss, so instead I went all academic. Result: a nicer reply, right after yours.

I wish everyone would read at least these two Paul Horgan books if they haven't already: Centuries of Santa Fe, and Great River. I learned to enjoy history only later in life, and was just swept away by these volumes. They're nice big ones, to last you all summer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peralta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Piedra gets 5 1/2 years (Mar '11) Oct 27 PullDaCovers 45
Starbucks in Los Lunas "Warning about a Golddig... (Jan '17) Oct 19 Vince G 11
News Los Lunas homes showing foundation problems (Jan '08) Sep '17 HRresident 197
Child molestor ALERT Aug '17 The more you know 1
News New Mexico Public Education Secretary Skandera ... Jul '17 oakie 13
Los Chavez Tweakers (Dec '16) Apr '17 chainz 2
News Breeder under fire for running 'puppy mill' (Jan '09) Apr '17 Debra Buckhorn 228

Peralta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peralta Mortgages