A royal blessing

A royal blessing

There are 45 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Oct 6, 2009, titled A royal blessing. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Dressed in their Sunday best, Santa Fe area residents gathered on a cold and cloudy Tuesday morning at the courtyard of the Palace of the Governors, waiting to catch a glimpse of Spain's Crown Prince Felipe de BorbA3n y Grecia and his wife, the Princess of Asturias Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Peter Townsend

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Oct 6, 2009
It is indeed an honor for Santa Fe to have Prince Felipe here. I don't know how many are aware of his distinguished origins. Queen Victoria of England was his great-great-great grandmother. His great-grandfather was King Alfonse XIII of Spain and King Paul of Greece was his grandfather. He is related to almost every Royal and former Royal house in Europe and is even a descendant of Tsar Nicholas I of Russia.
So What

Charleston, SC

#2 Oct 7, 2009
What about the atrocities their army did against the wonderful Natives? Has he addressed or offered an apology?

So he is a pure bred royal whatever....

That does not excuse his royalness from the atrocities. Let's address oth sides to have a balanced story!
So What

Charleston, SC

#3 Oct 7, 2009
What about the atrocities their army did against the wonderful Natives? Has he addressed or offered an apology?

That does not excuse his royalness from the atrocities. Let's address both sides to have a balanced story!
So what is an Idiot

Gulfport, MS

#4 Oct 7, 2009
You are an idiot. Did you even read the article? It addresses this issue:
"It's bittersweet," Moquino (of Santa Clara Pueblo) said of the 400th anniversary and the royal visit. "We're celebrating 400 years of when the Spanish came and conquered our people and our land. When (Secretary of Cultural Affairs Stuart Ashman) was in there speaking, he said,'Bienvenidos a su tierra,' welcome to your land; and I said,'Bienvenidos a mi tierra,' welcome to my land. "
Furthermore it talks about how, "the violence between Native Americans and Spanish settlers has led to residual tensions today".
What else do you want? I agree what they did was horrible on many levels, but if you expect an apology from the Spanish you had better keep dreaming cause they're not big on apologies. Great Balanced article
Bob Malone

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Oct 7, 2009
So What wrote:
That does not excuse his royalness from the atrocities. Let's address oth sides to have a balanced story!
What is your problem? You want to address what happened 400 years ago? Generations are always forgiven. He had nothing to do with anything you are accusing him of and, why don't you get up to him face to face and tell him what you think. Also, what did your ancestors do four hundred years ago? Should you be accountable for their atrocities?

As for me, I say "Welcome to the great city of Santa Fe."
Rodriguez I1A

Cerrillos, NM

#6 Oct 7, 2009
The people of today have the ability to learn from yesterday's people. While the past can not be change, one can appriciate that all people can live in peace. We are a better nation (United States) because of our diversity. What an awesome show from the Pueblo Peoples and the Royal House of Spain as most Hispanic people of the Americas have both Native American and European ancestry.
Both sides

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Oct 7, 2009
The Indians killed plenty of Spaniards too, but nobody ever wants to hear that. People also don't want to hear that quite a lot of Pueblo Indians have some Spanish in them, and quite a lot of Spanish New Mexicans have some Pueblo Indian. I know I have some. So, it's time for all sides to get over it, otherwise our children will have to fight about it years from now. We are New Mexicans all, and have far more in common than we have differences.
Jose A hernandez

Raleigh, NC

#8 Oct 7, 2009
Nothing can erase what the conquistadores perpetuated. Destroying a people and there
culture is un forgivable.
MichaelMichael

AOL

#9 Oct 7, 2009
Bob Malone wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your problem? You want to address what happened 400 years ago? Generations are always forgiven. He had nothing to do with anything you are accusing him of and, why don't you get up to him face to face and tell him what you think. Also, what did your ancestors do four hundred years ago? Should you be accountable for their atrocities?
As for me, I say "Welcome to the great city of Santa Fe."
He has inherited what the past did to the Indians! You can’t erase it no matter what you say. Now, if you were an Indian you would have a different opinion wouldn’t you?
Since the King and his Queen is in town perhaps it might be a good idea to them to go to the Pueblos and apologize to them. After all we did rip off their land!
MichaelMichael

AOL

#10 Oct 7, 2009
Both sides wrote:
The Indians killed plenty of Spaniards too, but nobody ever wants to hear that. People also don't want to hear that quite a lot of Pueblo Indians have some Spanish in them, and quite a lot of Spanish New Mexicans have some Pueblo Indian. I know I have some. So, it's time for all sides to get over it, otherwise our children will have to fight about it years from now. We are New Mexicans all, and have far more in common than we have differences.
Spaniards had no business here in the first place; they deserve to be killed. No matter what you say the pass is still very vivid in their lives. Since you weren’t on the receiving end you wouldn’t know, right?
Any time the king and queen comes to Santa Fe have you ever seen even one Indians in their presences?
Honestly

United States

#12 Oct 7, 2009
Jose A hernandez wrote:
Nothing can erase what the conquistadores perpetuated. Destroying a people and there
culture is un forgivable.
All European cultures have contributed in that sense. So French, Spanish, English, Portuguese - the list goes on.
The article is celebrating that it is acknowledged and forgiveness is in process. Let go of the anger for your own good. We have all read history books and most of us have been repulsed by the atrocities committed throughout history. Get involved and stop some maltreatment going on currently and you will be better - or walk an old lady across the street - whatever.
danny

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Oct 7, 2009
Both sides wrote:
The Spanish started enslaving the Indians way before any killing started. Preservation of one's way of life is essential. All the killing and the hanging of Pueblo religious leaders was the tipping point. Basically said, you kill our religious leaders, we kill yours. All the mission churches that are at the pueblos were built by slave labor. And I disagree, we have far more differences than commonalities, I suppose we are all human right?
Go homr

Rio Rancho, NM

#14 Oct 7, 2009
MichaelMichael wrote:
<quoted text>Spaniards had no business here in the first place; they deserve to be killed. No matter what you say the pass is still very vivid in their lives. Since you weren’t on the receiving end you wouldn’t know, right?
Any time the king and queen comes to Santa Fe have you ever seen even one Indians in their presences?
...and take your medication.

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe

#15 Oct 7, 2009
I hate royalty. Just like every American should hate anything to do with Royalty!!!

The only thing royalty is good for, is the hemp made rope industry, and the guy who ties thirteen knots.

Then we can all happily watch royal feet a twitchen!!! Every last one of them!!!

DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ODER!!!!

La Madera, NM

#16 Oct 7, 2009
Ambro wrote:
I hate royalty. Just like every American should hate anything to do with Royalty!!!
The only thing royalty is good for, is the hemp made rope industry, and the guy who ties thirteen knots.
Then we can all happily watch royal feet a twitchen!!! Every last one of them!!!
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ODER!!!!
Are you talking about the elite liberal left? The royalty of intellectualism?

Don't need 13 knots. Waste of rope. A slipknot will work. Or plastic bags.

Power to the real people!!!

Santa Fe

#18 Oct 7, 2009
Poetry! I love Poetry.

Since: Jul 09

Kihei, HI

#19 Oct 7, 2009
This is now, that was then.

What was the world like in the 1600’s? Were the Spanish the only “evil” force in the world?
400 years from now many in the Middle East will look upon Americans in the same way we do those back then. What has changed? Only the actors!

Fact is, that those perpetuating the “atrocities” then were doing what they thought they should, just as today we do the same. It would be interesting if somehow we could read now a history book that will be published by historians 400 years from now. If you are on the wrong side of the bread you don’t get the butter.

This does not call for forgiveness so much as an understanding that results in better behavior. Why forgive the Spanish for what they did then? Those Spaniards are all dead and won’t know about it anyway, for whatever change would come about if they somehow did.

When we forgive someone, we seek to move on and seek a better way to deal with each other. Is that what many here are saying? Many have learned of the sins of the past, and are gosh-darned determined to repeat them.

It also looks like someone here who hates the gay set wants to F a queen. This is what happens when Hot Cubans run out and you get desperate. This is an example of what I call a Don Quixote alternative.
Very Concerned Citizen

Florence, AL

#20 Oct 7, 2009
So where's bill? I thought he'd be in the photo on his hands and knees salivating all over spain's princess' feet. You know just s ucking up like bill likes to do.
DriveByPoster

Florence, AL

#21 Oct 7, 2009
the photo caption reads, "Photo: From left, Albert Gallegos, honorary consul of Spain in Santa Fe; Mayor David Coss; Spain’s Crown Prince Felipe de Borbón y Grecia; and Maurice Bonal, chairman of the city’s 400th anniversary, add gifts from the Spanish royalty to the time capsule during the prince’s visit to Santa Fe on Tuesday."

coss; "spain, huh?"

crown prince felipe de borbon y grecia; "yes."

coss; "where's spain?"

crown prince felipe de borbon y grecia; "excuse me?"

coss; "where's spain?"

crown prince felipe de borbon y grecia; "why.. why.. it's in europe. next to portugal."

coss; "portugal, huh?"

crown prince felipe de borbon y grecia; "yes."

coss; "where's portugal?"

crown prince felipe de borbon y grecia; "excuse me?"

coss; "where's portugal?"

La Madera, NM

#22 Oct 7, 2009
Zorkon 756 wrote:
This is now, that was then.
What was the world like in the 1600’s? Were the Spanish the only “evil” force in the world?
400 years from now many in the Middle East will look upon Americans in the same way we do those back then. What has changed? Only the actors!
Fact is, that those perpetuating the “atrocities” then were doing what they thought they should, just as today we do the same. It would be interesting if somehow we could read now a history book that will be published by historians 400 years from now. If you are on the wrong side of the bread you don’t get the butter.
This does not call for forgiveness so much as an understanding that results in better behavior. Why forgive the Spanish for what they did then? Those Spaniards are all dead and won’t know about it anyway, for whatever change would come about if they somehow did.
When we forgive someone, we seek to move on and seek a better way to deal with each other. Is that what many here are saying? Many have learned of the sins of the past, and are gosh-darned determined to repeat them.
It also looks like someone here who hates the gay set wants to F a queen. This is what happens when Hot Cubans run out and you get desperate. This is an example of what I call a Don Quixote alternative.
Dearest Zorkinia, if you had ever experienced a hot Cuban woman, or any woman, your life would have been changed and enriched. But instead you preferred Don Quixote. Or Doug, or Bruce, or maybe even some you didn't know the name of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peralta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Starbucks in Los Lunas "Warning about a Golddig... (Jan '17) Sep 15 Vince L 7
Child molestor ALERT Aug '17 The more you know 1
News New Mexico Public Education Secretary Skandera ... Jul '17 oakie 13
Los Chavez Tweakers (Dec '16) Apr '17 chainz 2
News Los Lunas homes showing foundation problems (Jan '08) Apr '17 HOHI 195
News Breeder under fire for running 'puppy mill' (Jan '09) Apr '17 Debra Buckhorn 228
News Facebook chooses New Mexico for new data center... (Sep '16) Dec '16 Aimee Hall 2

Peralta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peralta Mortgages